ADVERTISEMENT

Kanon Catchings...has anyone on staff or Kanon himself commented on the status of his commitment?

What I heard from the other site is Catchings told Purdue he intended to de-commit last week (but he did not actually file the paperwork or make it official or whatever). He then told them yesterday that he was still committed to Purdue. The coaches were supposed to have an in-person visit with him today.

It sounds like he's still on board for now. I wouldn't count on him staying in the fold until the letter of intent is signed, however (which is probably a good frame of mind to regard every recruit).

Last edited:
Kanon Catchings has gone radio silent on social media. People in Brownsburg (FWIW) are saying (in summary) that it's going to be a bumpy ride whether he stays at Purdue or decommits.
I'm sure they know more than his family?? They know about as much, as the rumor that he decommitted and was IU bound. Once again, it could happen but as of now it hasn't. This reminds of TKR not wanting to play with Furst. You remember the good ol' IU faithful disagreement on this issue🤣🤣

What I heard from the other site is Catchings told Purdue he intended to de-commit last week (but he did not actually file the paperwork or make it official). He then told them yesterday that he was still committed to Purdue. The coaches were supposed to have an in-person visit with him today.

It sounds like he's still on board for now. I wouldn't count on him staying in the fold until the letter of intent is signed, however (which is probably a good frame of mind to regard every recruit).
He is a junior and official signing period doesn’t start until the fall. There is no paperwork needed.

He is a junior and official signing period doesn’t start until the fall. There is no paperwork needed.
I think family leadership is needed. This is where, as parents you help guide your kid in the right direction. People can say what they want but parents make decisions for their kids everyday and to a much smaller extent.

I think family leadership is needed. This is where, as parents you help guide your kid in the right direction. People can say what they want but parents make decisions for their kids everyday and to a much smaller extent.
I believe family leadership is there, which is why I think this either moves quickly or he sticks with Purdue. My understanding is that he was having some second thoughts after being at a USA Basketball event and made some comments without discussing it with the family. He went home and they talked it through and met with Painter last night.

I don’t think there’s going to be ongoing drama here.

It can’t hurt that Jaden Ivey went from being ranked around 100 in high school to getting drafted fifth in the NBA. Painter has shown that he can prepare Catchings for the next level.
You know, that is something we don’t talk about much when the discussion is around ncaa tourney wins. The goal of a kid like that is to make the nba and be in the best position possible for it. We as a fan base are kind of short sighted because our goal is an ncaa tourney final four or championship. A giy like catchings has a goal of making the nba and the ncaa tourney while cool isnt his number 1 thing.

I believe family leadership is there, which is why I think this either moves quickly or he sticks with Purdue. My understanding is that he was having some second thoughts after being at a USA Basketball event and made some comments without discussing it with the family. He went home and they talked it through and met with Painter last night.

I don’t think there’s going to be ongoing drama here.
Agree, my post was directed at the IU fan that believed it should be his decision and essentially his parents were keeping him hostage to the Purdue commitment.

Here s the think iu fans sees what painter is doing and they are getting nerves because painter talked to Andy kats and painter told him that they have to get more athletic and they are doing that iam really exited about myles Colvin and heide and berg if he can stay healthy and that guard they got in the portal so if coach can get kanon catchings to come to purdue quess what and he does while at purdue now coach can start getting 5 star recruit s

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Here s the think iu fans sees what painter is doing and they are getting nerves because painter talked to Andy kats and painter told him that they have to get more athletic and they are doing that iam really exited about myles Colvin and heide and berg if he can stay healthy and that guard they got in the portal so if coach can get kanon catchings to come to purdue quess what and he does while at purdue now coach can start getting 5 star recruit s
Can't argue.

Purdue will be more athletic next year because of Colvin and heide and Jones you them guards in the tournament next year it's going to be different

Reactions: ChuckJr
Right this purdue team will be better than that iu team from last year I mean purdue won the big ten regular season and big ten tournament championship with freshman guards just think what they going to do with heide and Jones and berg and whatever they get from myles they will be better

Purdue will be more athletic next year because of Colvin and heide and Jones you them guards in the tournament next year it's going to be different
Where will the athleticism translate on offense? Edey will clog the paint and cant space the floor. The guys wont be able to slash. Will be the same old situation. Defense they will just switch until a mismatch on Edey as well. Dont expect different results with immobile big men and Painters unwillingness to change his styles.

Where will the athleticism translate on offense? Edey will clog the paint and cant space the floor. The guys wont be able to slash. Will be the same old situation. Defense they will just switch until a mismatch on Edey as well. Dont expect different results with immobile big men and Painters unwillingness to change his styles.
Yep. Can’t create off the dribble when you have Edey camped in the lane and them hedging with another defender or 2, 3 or 4. Makes it impossible for creators to create.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
It can’t hurt that Jaden Ivey went from being ranked around 100 in high school to getting drafted fifth in the NBA. Painter has shown that he can prepare Catchings for the next level.

The issue with Painter is he doesn't have a history of developing players that stick in the NBA. I'm not saying he doesn't have the ability. But he's not been able to get NBA level talent to Purdue. So we can talk about Ivey all we want. But he's the first guy that's playing like he belongs in the NBA in a long time. Probably since Etwaun Moore...

Eh, we ran a decent amount of PNR with Ivey and edey last year.

Yep. Can’t create off the dribble when you have Edey camped in the lane and them hedging with another defender or 2, 3 or 4. Makes it impossible for creators to create.
To a point...Edey wasn't a good passer out of the double like Tre was and Ivey benefited off of that. Last year we had zero shot creators on this team besides Edey. Most dribble drive guys aren't always going to the rim vs pulling up for a midrange shot and Fletch was the closest to that.

I think Painter gave some of these players the tools to get into the NBA, but it has to be on the player to stick or is it the player not being good enough to be in the NBA and Painter at least gets them there.

To a point...Edey wasn't a good passer out of the double like Tre was and Ivey benefited off of that. Last year we had zero shot creators on this team besides Edey. Most dribble drive guys aren't always going to the rim vs pulling up for a midrange shot and Fletch was the closest to that.

I think Painter gave some of these players the tools to get into the NBA, but it has to be on the player to stick or is it the player not being good enough to be in the NBA and Painter at least gets them there.
The one that still surprises me was JJ. Seemed like a perfect NBA fit but was not quite strong enough at the 5 or quite skilled enough at the 4 i guess.

The issue with Painter is he doesn't have a history of developing players that stick in the NBA. I'm not saying he doesn't have the ability. But he's not been able to get NBA level talent to Purdue. So we can talk about Ivey all we want. But he's the first guy that's playing like he belongs in the NBA in a long time. Probably since Etwaun Moore...
The point is that he could never point to Ivey until recently. Ivey is going to put up huge numbers in the NBA for years.

The one that still surprises me was JJ. Seemed like a perfect NBA fit but was not quite strong enough at the 5 or quite skilled enough at the 4 i guess.

It's not the player. It's the system. Playing feed the post and camping under the basket doesn't mesh with the NBA. It doesn't develop or showcase the skills of the player. Don't get me wrong. Zach is highly skilled at post play, as JJ was. But not showing or developing a mid-range or outside game isn't going to get you a long term gig in the NBA.

And it also inhibits the development of perimeter players as well, as the lane continues to be clogged and the expectations of those perimeter players is on passing rather than slashing. We're seeing a prime example of that in Jaden Ivey, who is thriving in the NBA where the lane isn't clogged with double teams.

It's not the player. It's the system. Playing feed the post and camping under the basket doesn't mesh with the NBA. It doesn't develop or showcase the skills of the player. Don't get me wrong. Zach is highly skilled at post play, as JJ was. But not showing or developing a mid-range or outside game isn't going to get you a long term gig in the NBA.

And it also inhibits the development of perimeter players as well, as the lane continues to be clogged and the expectations of those perimeter players is on passing rather than slashing. We're seeing a prime example of that in Jaden Ivey, who is thriving in the NBA where the lane isn't clogged with double teams.
huh? JJ didn’t just play in the post at Purdue.

Hope everyone on this board reads your post

bro. That's why I hope Edey turns pro.

And Gillis is too small to play the 4. Morton

has been given his chance. If Berg can run the

floor, there are 9 other Boilers I want to see

ball and win some games in March Madness.

Would like to see Painter wake up soon.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT