ADVERTISEMENT

Just to satisfy the I never say I'm wrong folks

qazplm

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Seems to be Painter isn't going to play TKR at the 5 based on reports he is spending most of his time practicing at the 4. Which implies that if that's the been the plan almost from the start then Painter may have never planned to play TKR at the 5 primarily.

Definitely prefer embracing the fact that our best talent is on the wings and going with Heide at 4, Colvin at 3 and TKR at 5 with Loyer and Smith but it appears that's not the way we are trending whether because Painter doesn't think TKR can play the 5 or because he thinks Jacobsen/Berg is just that good or a combination of both.

At any rate, I was wrong in thinking that was the most likely lineup. Unless the reports are wrong.

This could have been the plan all along. And that would have meant that Catchings would have had to share playing time with TKR.

I find it very interesting that Catchings announced he was decommiting a couple of days after Jacobson’s successful USA tournament.

There’s a post somewhere speculating Jacobson would start at center and split time with Furst and Berg.

And TKR would start at the 4

And painter wanted a guard to start the 3 rather than a small forward like Catchings!

TKR playing the 4 could also have an impact on Sisley’s desire to play for Purdue. I doubt Sisley will play the 3 either.

It would sure be nice if Painter played small forwards at the three. But the reality is he prefers to play guards at the position. So if a small forward wants to play the 3 in college, he usually looks at opportunities at other colleges other than Purdue.

This could have been the plan all along. And that would have meant that Catchings would have had to share playing time with TKR.

I find it very interesting that Catchings announced he was decommiting a couple of days after Jacobson’s successful USA tournament.

There’s a post somewhere speculating Jacobson would start at center and split time with Furst and Berg.

And TKR would start at the 4

And painter wanted a guard to start the 3 rather than a small forward like Catchings!

TKR playing the 4 could also have an impact on Sisley’s desire to play for Purdue. I doubt Sisley will play the 3 either.

It would sure be nice if Painter played small forwards at the three. But the reality is he prefers to play guards at the position. So if a small forward wants to play the 3 in college, he usually looks at opportunities at other colleges other than Purdue.
What position do you think Cam Heide plays, Wole?

Seems to be Painter isn't going to play TKR at the 5 based on reports he is spending most of his time practicing at the 4. Which implies that if that's the been the plan almost from the start then Painter may have never planned to play TKR at the 5 primarily.

Definitely prefer embracing the fact that our best talent is on the wings and going with Heide at 4, Colvin at 3 and TKR at 5 with Loyer and Smith but it appears that's not the way we are trending whether because Painter doesn't think TKR can play the 5 or because he thinks Jacobsen/Berg is just that good or a combination of both.

At any rate, I was wrong in thinking that was the most likely lineup. Unless the reports are wrong.
I don’t think it matters who plays the 4 or 5 as they’ll interchange. I would guess TKR is the main down low threat and will be able to operate a bit more down there without the big maple.

Lots of possible different lineups it seems. Should be a fun season. Only….4 more months??

Really excited to see Jacobsen play for us. Been hearing great things so far.
I think Jacobsen will play but do not think he’s in for big minutes. In high school, AAU and team USA he only played 16-18 minutes a game. He’s going to work hard on strength and conditioning as well as walling up and not fouling as much as a rim protector. Craig Bowers from Boilers in the stands has been at some practices and has the same opinion.

I’m right there with you! I had hoped to see that lineup with both Heide and Colvin starting and playing big minutes together as the two most athletic guys with hops to attack the rim. I was not overly impressed with TKR as the 4 since he’s most productive in the paint and the post. He hasn’t shown that he’s got good handles and a consistently accurate 3 point shooter.
So now that means either one of two didn’t make a significant jump coming into next season and they are going to fight for playing time among Loyer/Colvin/Heide and not be playing at the same time. I’d thought Colvin could possibly challenge Loyer at the two but Paint has mentioned a couple times that he expects to make Loyer a more featured part of the offense. Just hoping for a really strong team!

PS I think Berg is going to surprise this year.

I don't think we are stacking 7-footers to only play ten minutes off the bench each game total. If nothing else, we need rim protection from them. It was often shocking to me last season how we got exposed at the rim when Edey was out. Our perimeter defense isn't equipped to contain the dribble.

I don’t think it matters who plays the 4 or 5 as they’ll interchange. I would guess TKR is the main down low threat and will be able to operate a bit more down there without the big maple.

Lots of possible different lineups it seems. Should be a fun season. Only….4 more months??
if Berg and Dj can hit about 30% of their threes, problem solved.

With so many new faces, I suspect Painter is experimenting with all kinds of lineups. He has a lot of versatile players who can play multiple positions. But in the end, he'll play them where the entire team is strongest. So in the end, you may be premature in humbling yourself. You may be wrong now thinking you were wrong then. ;) We'll know more tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT