ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Matthews

Jordan Matthews of CAL is now a 5th year transfer. Any chance Zo would hook Painter up?
I would think there would be a lot of schools after him. Averaged 13 points and 41% from 3pt range last year. Played in a Power 5 conference. Lots to like about him. SI reported that Gonzaga was in the lead for him. Maybe he wants to stay out west?

If he's leaving a decent situation, then he probably want a chance to make a deep run in the tourney. That's just not realistic here.

He's definitely more of a 2 than a 1. He gets to the FT line more often (and converts) than Mathias or Cline, but his addition might create a situation at the 2 similar to the one last season. Or, he could be a standout and cutting back on Mathias or Cline's PT could be a result of that. So, it's hard to say what the best decision would be but I'm all for Purdue having backcourt players with Mathews' size (approx. 6'3/6'4) and skillset that are quicker and more versatile and athletic.

Last edited:
Trying not to be "that guy" but Jordan Matthews is a WR for the Philadelphia Eagles. Jordan Mathews is the kid transferring from Cal. But then again, for 4 years people still referred to AJ as "Hammonds" , so I guess call the kid whatever you'd like.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Trying not to be "that guy" but Jordan Matthews is a WR for the Philadelphia Eagles. Jordan Mathews is the kid transferring from Cal. But then again, for 4 years people still referred to AJ as "Hammonds" , so I guess call the kid whatever you'd like.
Yeah but where are we with Costas or Alex Peters?

Reactions: Travisty13
I don't know but I'm looking towards '17 recruits now and wondering where Chris Wilkes is going to commit.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Purdue is in the running for Kris Wilkes. The only '17 prospects previously mentioned that I think Purdue has a chance of getting are Malik Williams and Jaren Jackson, Jr..

Edit: I caught on with the name thing, but yeah, that's my comment and I'll stick with it.

Tillman and Eastern are also kids we have a shot at. Love to get 3 off our A list, happy with 2. We are going to need a B list though.

Last time Indiana had a monster class (2012) Purdue swung and missed.....hope history doesn't repeat itself as the 17 class is prob. as good.

Last time Indiana had a monster class (2012) Purdue swung and missed.....hope history doesn't repeat itself as the 17 class is prob. as good.

Not even close. That 2012 in-state class was special:
Glenn Robinson - #11, 5*
Yogi Ferrell - #19, 5*
Gary Harris - #25, 5*
Mitch McGary - #30, 4*
D'Vauntes Smith - #32, 4*
Jeremy Hollowell - #41, 4*
AJ Hammons - #77, 4*
Kellen Dunham - #93, 4*
Ronnie Johnson - #94, 4*
Raphael Davis - #96, 4*

Unranked - RJ Hunter

Every Indiana all star besides Hunter (now in the NBA and played for his dad in college) and DJ Balentine (scored 2,400+ points at Evansville) played for a high major in college. The 2017 class just seems great because the in-state talent level has been so low.

Last edited:
Did you mean 2011? Hammons and Ray Davis were in the 2012 class.
We struck out in 2012. G Rob 3, Kevin Ferrell, Gary Harris, Mitch McGary, Jeremy Holowell, Devante Smith Riveria, <---- top 50 players Hanner Perrera, and Kellen Dunham <---- top 100 players that year. All of them were recruited by Purdue except probably Perrera. We can rationalize however we want, but we missed out on a TON of guys that we wanted. Recruiting isn't measured in how they turned out, it is measured in can we get the guys we want to come play for us. When you miss on 7 in state players in the top 100 in one year, that speaks to your ability to get the guys you want.

BTW, check out that rivals 150 for 2012. Valentine was 81 and Buddy Hield was 86. Yes, yes I know this contradicts my statement about recruiting being measured on turnout. It is just as easily argued that the program those kids went to was responsible for the development or lack thereof.

We struck out in 2012. G Rob 3, Kevin Ferrell, Gary Harris, Mitch McGary, Jeremy Holowell, Devante Smith Riveria, <---- top 50 players Hanner Perrera, and Kellen Dunham <---- top 100 players that year. All of them were recruited by Purdue except probably Perrera. We can rationalize however we want, but we missed out on a TON of guys that we wanted. Recruiting isn't measured in how they turned out, it is measured in can we get the guys we want to come play for us. When you miss on 7 in state players in the top 100 in one year, that speaks to your ability to get the guys you want.

BTW, check out that rivals 150 for 2012. Valentine was 81 and Buddy Hield was 86. Yes, yes I know this contradicts my statement about recruiting being measured on turnout. It is just as easily argued that the program those kids went to was responsible for the development or lack thereof.

Good points, guys.....here's a slightly different take to consider.....

Granted, CMP's biggest "misses" were G Harris and G Robinson, maybe Dunham too. I'm not sure how to characterize McGary (I thought Purdue backed off him for qualification issues but maybe I'm forgetting)....and I wouldn't put Holowell, Smith-Rivera, and Perea in the "miss" category. Didn't get Yogi Ferrell either, but is that a "miss" like with Harris and Robinson? I get the frustration.......however.....

some might still suggest that the 2012 class (at the time) was at least pretty decent.......Davis, Hammons, and RJ were all top 100 recruits......then there was also Jay Simpson as well. Even with RJ not working out and Jay Simpson's unfortunate health issues......Davis and Hammons ended up having solid productive (if not "stellar" careers in some views) all-conference and two DPOY's.

Also, Ray Davis and Hammons were a big factor in getting Vincent Edwards and I Haas to commit as well as Mathias and Cline.....so even if 2012 is maybe an overall disappointment given the Indiana-based talent and Purdue's results......it played a role in getting things at least pointed in the right direction. Again, I definitely understand the frustration with recruiting, and I'm not suggesting CMP has Purdue in a position to land multiple top-level (5* and McD AA's) recruits on a consistent basis.....but I do think that he has started to build a better foundation from which to build on recruiting.

I also think it would show progress if CMP gets only ONE of the top targets for 2017. I don't expect him to get more than that. Chevy might "scold" me for that......just my Purdue alum/experience....hard habit to break/kick.

Jay Simpson's health issues have played a major role in the program. He would be a monster of a 4/5 coming off the bench the last year and this coming season. He would be the first big man off the bench for both Haas and Swanigan...it would also mean we could play two very athletic stretch 4's at the same time to put a ton of pressure on the opposing team. With Simpson, we could have seen...

G: Albrecht
G: Mathias
G/F: Vincent Edwards
F: Swanigan
F: Simpson

That would be an very intriguing lineup if Albrecht is healthy...but alas, Jay's health was of too much concern, obviously. That is a lineup that could defend and get out in transition...add in a guy like Smotherman and having two good deep shooters in VE and Spike, that would be a damn good transition basketball team.

Jay Simpson's health issues have played a major role in the program. He would be a monster of a 4/5 coming off the bench the last year and this coming season. He would be the first big man off the bench for both Haas and Swanigan...it would also mean we could play two very athletic stretch 4's at the same time to put a ton of pressure on the opposing team. With Simpson, we could have seen...

That would be an very intriguing lineup if Albrecht is healthy...but alas, Jay's health was of too much concern, obviously. That is a lineup that could defend and get out in transition...add in a guy like Smotherman and having two good deep shooters in VE and Spike, that would be a damn good transition basketball team.

We'll see almost that exact lineup, just exchange haas for Simpson. And I'll take haas over Simpson any day.

The loss of Jay Simpson has been overlooked by almost everyone and I am glad you mentioned it here. The Boilers were in good position in the conference when he went down and we never recovered from it. He was quickly developing and his play fit perfectly into the system that year. Add to that the injury to Sterling Carter and we were doomed. Interesting that Carter played the major point guard minutes. R Johnson wasn't playing that much and the team was winning games. I thought at the time Purdue would make the NCAA because that team won some big games.

Good points, guys.....here's a slightly different take to consider.....

Granted, CMP's biggest "misses" were G Harris and G Robinson, maybe Dunham too. I'm not sure how to characterize McGary (I thought Purdue backed off him for qualification issues but maybe I'm forgetting)....and I wouldn't put Holowell, Smith-Rivera, and Perea in the "miss" category. Didn't get Yogi Ferrell either, but is that a "miss" like with Harris and Robinson? I get the frustration.......however.....

some might still suggest that the 2012 class (at the time) was at least pretty decent.......Davis, Hammons, and RJ were all top 100 recruits......then there was also Jay Simpson as well. Even with RJ not working out and Jay Simpson's unfortunate health issues......Davis and Hammons ended up having solid productive (if not "stellar" careers in some views) all-conference and two DPOY's.

Also, Ray Davis and Hammons were a big factor in getting Vincent Edwards and I Haas to commit as well as Mathias and Cline.....so even if 2012 is maybe an overall disappointment given the Indiana-based talent and Purdue's results......it played a role in getting things at least pointed in the right direction. Again, I definitely understand the frustration with recruiting, and I'm not suggesting CMP has Purdue in a position to land multiple top-level (5* and McD AA's) recruits on a consistent basis.....but I do think that he has started to build a better foundation from which to build on recruiting.

I also think it would show progress if CMP gets only ONE of the top targets for 2017. I don't expect him to get more than that. Chevy might "scold" me for that......just my Purdue alum/experience....hard habit to break/kick.
I liked the kids we got in the class. I am aware there were reasons why we backed off some of those kids (McGary did have qualification issues) but as we all know, recruiting is about momentum and publicity. Perea and Hollowell sucked (relative to their rankings), but they were highly ranked and brought Iu a lot of attention.

So who won out in the end? RJ, Hollowell, and Perea all transferred from their schools. We got Davis who - word on the street in FW - is the reason we got Swanigan. Not to mention he will be a very successful human being and a proud alumni. We missed on Ferrell and Smith Rivera who I think would have been great 4 year players in positions that we needed go to guys. The only thing that frustrated me about that class is that we should have had first right of refusal on G Rob and Harris. I fear that 2017 may be rough as we don't seem to have an "in" with many of the players. The worst part about the loaded in-state classes is that when we miss, the kids often go to other Big 10 schools.

I liked the kids we got in the class. I am aware there were reasons why we backed off some of those kids (McGary did have qualification issues) but as we all know, recruiting is about momentum and publicity. Perea and Hollowell sucked (relative to their rankings), but they were highly ranked and brought Iu a lot of attention.

So who won out in the end? RJ, Hollowell, and Perea all transferred from their schools. We got Davis who - word on the street in FW - is the reason we got Swanigan. Not to mention he will be a very successful human being and a proud alumni. We missed on Ferrell and Smith Rivera who I think would have been great 4 year players in positions that we needed go to guys. The only thing that frustrated me about that class is that we should have had first right of refusal on G Rob and Harris. I fear that 2017 may be rough as we don't seem to have an "in" with many of the players. The worst part about the loaded in-state classes is that when we miss, the kids often go to other Big 10 schools.
we never offered GRIII.

On the subject of injuries and missing out on recruits, when PG Kyle Molock committed for that class, MP backed off of other PG targets, including Ferrell. When the poor kid blew out his knee, it was a huge setback for him and for Purdue. Purdue ended up with RJ, who was still a Top 100 recruit.

Here's the rest of the story for Molock. It just wasn't meant to be.

http://articles.philly.com/2015-02-18/sports/59236812_1_sullinger-kyle-molock-trey-burke

On the subject of injuries and missing out on recruits, when PG Kyle Molock committed for that class, MP backed off of other PG targets, including Ferrell. When the poor kid blew out his knee, it was a huge setback for him and for Purdue. Purdue ended up with RJ, who was still a Top 100 recruit.

Here's the rest of the story for Molock. It just wasn't meant to be.

http://articles.philly.com/2015-02-18/sports/59236812_1_sullinger-kyle-molock-trey-burke

Thanks for posting. I had no idea the kid ended up with 4 knee surgeries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT