ADVERTISEMENT

Jesus Christ as Simple as A, B, C

Wrong! I never said that the Civil War wasn’t about freeing the slaves. I said that Emancipation Proclamation was a war document that allowed slaves from the confederate states to join the Union Army as they needed more numbers. The slaves in the northern states were not freed. The Emancipation Proclamation did not end slavery whatsoever like we were taught in K-12.
You are doing better on this now, but...

it also freed many women and children who did not join the Union Army.

Should there be confederate monuments erected to honor the traitorous soldiers that killed your cousin?
Obviously I didn't know my cousin. We know Andersonville was horrible, and can suspect they killed him, but don't know for sure. He may have killed another cousin of mine that I'm unaware. I do NOT have a problem with history. I have an appreciation for history and don't wish to censor it. If history is ugly...good, it starts a conversation about its ugliness and serves to remind us of the ugliness and so on, I don't want a significant part of history censored. As you might know the north and south got together at Gettysburg years later as friends that had a different perspective and were enemies earlier...and you know Lincoln wanted the south treated well after the war to piece again the Union...what he most wanted. I think it is great that Germany and Poland have concentration camps as reminders and happy they were not removed. I'm grateful for the Holocaust Museum in D.C. and all the sorrow and anger it generates. When I went to Christ Church in Virginia https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...dria_s_Christ_Church-Alexandria_Virginia.html I sat in the half circle bench where all the presidents sat prior to Obama. I looked at some of the pews that had name tags and was aware that the north and south both attended at the same time during the war, but were separated by aisles. It was Washington's Church. It provides a different perspective on the sides. Both had a reverence for faith and both disagreed as people. It was filed with pictures of Germany and Americans playing soccer at Christmas in the snow only to fight the next day. No, I don't want to censor language, guns or history...and part of what we have seen is the destruction of history as a means of stopping traditional understanding without a baseline and being more willing to start with a clean sheet. This too fits into A Conflict of Visions as well.

Obviously I didn't know my cousin. We know Andersonville was horrible, and can suspect they killed him, but don't know for sure. He may have killed another cousin of mine that I'm unaware. I do NOT have a problem with history. I have an appreciation for history and don't wish to censor it. If history is ugly...good, it starts a conversation about its ugliness and serves to remind us of the ugliness and so on, I don't want a significant part of history censored. As you might know the north and south got together at Gettysburg years later as friends that had a different perspective and were enemies earlier...and you know Lincoln wanted the south treated well after the war to piece again the Union...what he most wanted. I think it is great that Germany and Poland have concentration camps as reminders and happy they were not removed. I'm grateful for the Holocaust Museum in D.C. and all the sorrow and anger it generates. When I went to Christ Church in Virginia https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...dria_s_Christ_Church-Alexandria_Virginia.html I sat in the half circle bench where all the presidents sat prior to Obama. I looked at some of the pews that had name tags and was aware that the north and south both attended at the same time during the war, but were separated by aisles. It was Washington's Church. It provides a different perspective on the sides. Both had a reverence for faith and both disagreed as people. It was filed with pictures of Germany and Americans playing soccer at Christmas in the snow only to fight the next day. No, I don't want to censor language, guns or history...and part of what we have seen is the destruction of history as a means of stopping traditional understanding without a baseline and being more willing to start with a clean sheet. This too fits into A Conflict of Visions as well.
Germany doesn't have any statues or monuments of Gen. Rommell do they?

You are doing better on this now, but...

it also freed many women and children who did not join the Union Army.
Yeah but you kinda missing my point. Freed many but not all. The Emancipation Proclamation contrary to what we were taught in K-12 did not end slavery.

Germany doesn't have any statues or monuments of Gen. Rommell do they?
I honestly don't know. As @SIBoiler2 has confirmed a few years ago with my comments on Germany then...they are still chasing Hitler's ghost! I've only been there once and it was in 2016 give or take a year. I was only in Plauen, Berlin, Munich, Dresden, FRankfurt, the air force base outside Frankfurt (Kim had a cousin that was a col stationed there) and down south around the Neuschwanstein Castle close to Austria. I really enjoyed Prague on that trip as well and highly recommend it! I would not use Germany as a model for much, but I did like them not censoring the camps. One thing that stuck out that I made a comment to my daughter's husband, brother and family and friends was all the red graffiti defacing monuments. Little did I know I would see on TV the same happening here encouraged by politicians a few years later. Jessica's husband Tobias Guennel ( he will show up a lot on the web) lived 10 miles from the wall in "East Germany" and when the wall came down, the first thing his family did was to find a McDonald's they heard so much about. ;) Just so happened that last night I congratulated Philipp Geßner who just got married and told him he can introduce us when I return. I remember sitting on a bench as Philipp introduced his father to me. His father worked on high voltage that was dangerous. I remember the befuddled look when I asked if he was paid more than a normal electrician...which I knew the answer. You see Germany has a "planned economy"... ;) Tobi loves Germany, but he wouldn't make anywhere close to the money he makes here. ;)

I honestly don't know. As @SIBoiler2 has confirmed a few years ago with my comments on Germany then...they are still chasing Hitler's ghost! I've only been there once and it was in 2016 give or take a year. I was only in Plauen, Berlin, Munich, Dresden, FRankfurt, the air force base outside Frankfurt (Kim had a cousin that was a col stationed there) and down south around the Neuschwanstein Castle close to Austria. I really enjoyed Prague on that trip as well and highly recommend it! I would not use Germany as a model for much, but I did like them not censoring the camps. One thing that stuck out that I made a comment to my daughter's husband, brother and family and friends was all the red graffiti defacing monuments. Little did I know I would see on TV the same happening here encouraged by politicians a few years later. Jessica's husband Tobias Guennel ( he will show up a lot on the web) lived 10 miles from the wall in "East Germany" and when the wall came down, the first thing his family did was to find a McDonald's they heard so much about. ;) Just so happened that last night I congratulated Philipp Geßner who just got married and told him he can introduce us when I return. I remember sitting on a bench as Philipp introduced his father to me. His father worked on high voltage that was dangerous. I remember the befuddled look when I asked if he was paid more than a normal electrician...which I knew the answer. You see Germany has a "planned economy"... ;) Tobi loves Germany, but he wouldn't make anywhere close to the money he makes here. ;)
Wasn't your daughter still living in Germany when you went to Italy? My kids went to school with a couple kids in Washington IN that had walked put of East Germany with their parents. Dad was an engineer and Mom a Nurse. They had fled north and were smuggled out. He managed a factory in Indiana. In the office area there was a dorm room. The company sponsored and provided transitional housing for those fleeing eastern Europe in the 90s.

Reactions: tjreese
Wasn't your daughter still living in Germany when you went to Italy? My kids went to school with a couple kids in Washington IN that had walked put of East Germany with their parents. Dad was an engineer and Mom a Nurse. They had fled north and were smuggled out. He managed a factory in Indiana. In the office area there was a dorm room. The company sponsored and provided transitional housing for those fleeing eastern Europe in the 90s.
No, what you are probably recalling is that she was in Germany with Tobi and the children at Tobi's parents before flying to Rome to meet up with us for a week. They were over there just a few weeks ago and Tobi and Jessica spent some time visiting some sites since he never got to spend some time in other places before. One of the visits was to Dachau. Their oldest girl (6) had been reading Anne Frank and wanted to go. They questioned if it would be too much for her to go, but they found the answer a couple of days before in Plauen, Germany. She had nightmares a couple of nights before . First, she dreamed the "Germans" had killed Tobi and another night she was put into a concentration camp. Apparently, that book took on a bit of a life of reality once she was in Germany. ;)

In Berlin and walking to what I recall was "a" war memorial I had some gypsy girls try to swindle some money while we were in the Beethoven memorial and a bit concerned of who might also be behind some trees watching. On the way back from the war memorial I saw the Russian graveyard for the Russian soldiers that died in the Berlin battles which was a bit confusing to me since that area was actually in West Germany...but going further I stepped on the sidewalk with a Bronze inlay where Reagan gave his speech. Other than in Plauen many people spoke English.
iu

Reactions: Riveting
Check this out...

CLick here

Not Rommell but

Citadel Berlin museum director Urte Evert

"Every single monument needs to be constantly discussed anew. You can never say, 'this is the single correct way and now we're done with it,'" says Citadel Berlin museum director Urte Evert
This may support some reasoning I previously have mentioned, but it took removing Aunt Jemima off the pancake syrup to be the real difference. Now if we can just get rid of the Illinois Indian mascot even though many Indians approve, the world will be better.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT