ADVERTISEMENT

Jake the Snake

This what the Journal and courier said about it.

"That Lawrence Central's Jake LaRavia scored 23 points for the South squad was not surprising. The surprising part was the 6-8 wing did not even attempt a 3-pointer.

LaRavia pulled off a couple of nifty transition baskets in the first half, then took an alley-oop 360 degrees for a dunk early in the second. All of his points came in the paint.

It was a fun afternoon for the former SIU-Edwardsville commit who is drawing the interest of programs such as Purdue since re-opening his recruitment. However, he admits showing coaches what else he can do beyond his 43 percent career 3-point shooting may have an added benefit.

"At this point, everyone knows I can shoot the ball based off my high school career," LaRavia said. "I feel like everyone knows I can jump, too. But displaying being able to get around someone at 6-8, being able to finish hard, dunking the ball — it's nice to show off."

LaRavia has not been offered a scholarship yet by Purdue. His only new offer came from Indiana State, which he will visit this coming weekend."

This what the Journal and courier said about it.

"That Lawrence Central's Jake LaRavia scored 23 points for the South squad was not surprising. The surprising part was the 6-8 wing did not even attempt a 3-pointer.

LaRavia pulled off a couple of nifty transition baskets in the first half, then took an alley-oop 360 degrees for a dunk early in the second. All of his points came in the paint.

It was a fun afternoon for the former SIU-Edwardsville commit who is drawing the interest of programs such as Purdue since re-opening his recruitment. However, he admits showing coaches what else he can do beyond his 43 percent career 3-point shooting may have an added benefit.

"At this point, everyone knows I can shoot the ball based off my high school career," LaRavia said. "I feel like everyone knows I can jump, too. But displaying being able to get around someone at 6-8, being able to finish hard, dunking the ball — it's nice to show off."

LaRavia has not been offered a scholarship yet by Purdue. His only new offer came from Indiana State, which he will visit this coming weekend."

At first I thought we should hold out and try and get him to walk on. Doesn’t seem like an option now. If Purdue can’t land a grad transfer at the 3/4 position that brings them back to the level of competing for a final four, then Laravia would be a good pick up. Purdue badly needs a future 4 after missing on Hall. Gillis is good, but a different player. About the same skill level, just different skills. With Laravia growing late like he did, it really hurt his recruiting, but Purdue could be a very good fit for what he does.

I was very unhappy when Purdue missed on offering Bane. Don’t really want to see that happen again.

At first I thought we should hold out and try and get him to walk on. Doesn’t seem like an option now. If Purdue can’t land a grad transfer at the 3/4 position that brings them back to the level of competing for a final four, then Laravia would be a good pick up. Purdue badly needs a future 4 after missing on Hall. Gillis is good, but a different player. About the same skill level, just different skills. With Laravia growing late like he did, it really hurt his recruiting, but Purdue could be a very good fit for what he does.

I was very unhappy when Purdue missed on offering Bane. Don’t really want to see that happen again.
My feelings exactly

Why was he not recruited by bigger schools originally? SIU-E???

The late growth spurt. He also got attention by winning a state championship and having a very strong senior season. SIU-E was a good fit initially. But the difference between 6’5 and 6’8 with his athleticism and ability is game changing. At 6’5 having to guard wing/guard vs guarding a 4. Also gives him an option as a stretch 4 with his shooting which can cause matchup issues. Get him on a team like Purdue and he could end up a very solid player.

The late growth spurt. He also got attention by winning a state championship and having a very strong senior season. SIU-E was a good fit initially. But the difference between 6’5 and 6’8 with his athleticism and ability is game changing. At 6’5 having to guard wing/guard vs guarding a 4. Also gives him an option as a stretch 4 with his shooting which can cause matchup issues. Get him on a team like Purdue and he could end up a very solid player.

Since he is 17 what are the odds he keeps on growing?

Last edited:
Reactions: LLaswell
I believe size is the biggest factor

Since he is 17 what are the odds he keeps on growing?

Growth spurts are weird. TJD was supposed to hit 7 foot and didn’t grow at all his senior season. 6’8 is a good height for him, so even if he grows an inch or two I am not sure it would make a huge difference at this point. I would say, it’s possible he continues to grow, but unlikely. As long as he reaches a legit 6’8 without shoes, that would be more than adequate for his game. I think Purdue will stay in constant contact and view the transfer market. If Laravia is the best option, he will get the offer. The fit is perfect for him. We don’t have a 4 on the roster with a game anywhere near his.

Last edited:

How is he off the bounce? That’s my concern with Wheeler. We need a 4 who can take the bigger MSU/VA type power forwards off the dribble, like Rob and Vince did.

Reactions: overthetop16
Growth spurts are weird. TJD was supposed to hit 7 foot and didn’t grow at all his senior season. 6’8 is a good height for him, so even if he grows an inch or two I am not sure it would make a huge difference at this point. I would say, it’s possible he continues to grow, but unlikely. As long as he reaches a legit 6’8 without shoes, that would be more than adequate for his game. I think Purdue will stay in constant contact and view the transfer market. If Laravia is the best option, he will get the offer. The fit is perfect for him. We don’t have a 4 on the roster with a game anywhere near his.
Wasn't Wheeler a good example of a kid that was 6'7 when we recruited, then went up to 6'9" before he got on campus?

How is he off the bounce? That’s my concern with Wheeler. We need a 4 who can take the bigger MSU/VA type power forwards off the dribble, like Rob and Vince did.
Due to my extensive (meaning I'm old) experience of watching kids grow up, I will say that the best big men are ones who grew taller late. There is a perfect example with a kid who was normal height until about his junior year in HS, he was a good player, played PG and developed excellent ball-handling skills. Suddenly, he was 6' 8" ... with great handles. I knew at least 6 kids like this, most played D1 at the 3. Most were damned good 3s.

I would not be disappointed if Purdue decides to offer. This video below was 9 months ago. It looks like he can score in a variety of ways, and he has reportedly improved a lot since then. Either Laravia or Gillis can redshirt and move to the 2020 class.

If CE goes pro they can look for a grad transfer guard to add depth for next year. Then focus on Dickinson and a pair of guards for 2020.

I would not be disappointed if Purdue decides to offer. This video below was 9 months ago. It looks like he can score in a variety of ways, and he has reportedly improved a lot since then. Either Laravia or Gillis can redshirt and move to the 2020 class.

If CE goes pro they can look for a grad transfer guard to add depth for next year. Then focus on Dickinson and a pair of guards for 2020.

I believe he talked about wanting to show off his athletism during this tourney hence more drives to the rim.

I don’t think you have to redshirt anyone if you offer and bring him in. He can be a change of pace kid and play a different 3/4. If Painter is moving to a position less basketball, this kids fits the bill.

6'8" can shoot and throw down 360 alley oops. What's the story here? How's this guy not already signed to at least to a mid-major?

Nevermind, Guess he grew 3 inches and is now a 3-4 type instead of a 2. Any chance he grows taller?

6'8" can shoot and throw down 360 alley oops. What's the story here? How's this guy not already signed to at least to a mid-major?
He was a lot shorter and hit a growth spurt to get to 6’8. Believe he was 6 before.

Coaching change and he wanted to open it back up.

Leads his high school to a state title.

Probably not a lot of attention because most have full rosters.

Supposedly it is between us, Missouri and Indiana State.

He was a lot shorter and hit a growth spurt to get to 6’8. Believe he was 6 before.

Coaching change and he wanted to open it back up.

Leads his high school to a state title.

Probably not a lot of attention because most have full rosters.

Supposedly it is between us, Missouri and Indiana State.
Do you think we offer?

Do you think we offer?
I feel like we will especially if Painter wants to do postionless basketball. Also, he is that kid that comes back to haunt us down the road because we didn’t.

I hope they are arranging a visit for this week after the tourney so Painter can see him and make an offer.

Reactions: mreeser
Do you think we offer?

With Carsen officially declaring, I think there is a chance we sign him. And to be honest, he may even play next year if he picks Purdue. There is a big need at the 4 if we can’t fill it with EB, Haarms, ED, or Williams in some sort of rotation. He won’t be able to guard the 3, but if he can fill the role of the 4, there is still a spot.

I said it before. I think Painter hits the grad transfer market first, but stays honest and open with Laravia. It’s a good fit and it’s local. That may buy us a little time.

Due to my extensive (meaning I'm old) experience of watching kids grow up, I will say that the best big men are ones who grew taller late. There is a perfect example with a kid who was normal height until about his junior year in HS, he was a good player, played PG and developed excellent ball-handling skills. Suddenly, he was 6' 8" ... with great handles. I knew at least 6 kids like this, most played D1 at the 3. Most were damned good 3s.
Anthony Davis

With 2 schollies left, add Laravia and Sherfield, and a good class becomes a great class:

PG: Thompson
SG: Sherfield
SF: Newman
PF: Laravia
C: Dowuona

Gillis (RS?)

I guess the follow-up question would be whether we want to use all our available scholarships in 2019? With only Evan leaving next year, isn't the 2020 class better? Or am I thinking about 2021? I don't get into recruiting a ton.

Do you think we offer?
I guess the follow-up question would be whether we want to use all our available scholarships in 2019? With only Evan leaving next year, isn't the 2020 class better? Or am I thinking about 2021? I don't get into recruiting a ton.

As far as the state is considered 20 sucks 21 is supposed to be amazing.

Not that I have a clue how well Purdue sits with its targets in either class its not like someone In state will go to Purdue while someone out of state won't. Painter probably has a better Idea but it is hard to know even how good he is at predicting the chance of him getting someone to play for him.

I generally error on the side of filling scholarships, There is a high chance one opens up do to a transfer or someone going pro.

Ideally the last scholarship would be filled with a grad Transfer IMO I would like a guard that can hit open shots so we don't need to rely on freshman and can redshirt one if they are not ready.

With 2 schollies left, add Laravia and Sherfield, and a good class becomes a great class:

PG: Thompson
SG: Sherfield
SF: Newman
PF: Laravia
C: Dowuona

Gillis (RS?)

I doubt we take Sherfield and Laravia. My guess would be Laravia and a grad transfer 3/4. Definitely will need help at 3/4 next year. My guess is that Sherfield gets left on the outside.

As far as the state is considered 20 sucks 21 is supposed to be amazing.

Not that I have a clue how well Purdue sits with its targets in either class its not like someone In state will go to Purdue while someone out of state won't. Painter probably has a better Idea but it is hard to know even how good he is at predicting the chance of him getting someone to play for him.

I generally error on the side of filling scholarships, There is a high chance one opens up do to a transfer or someone going pro.

Ideally the last scholarship would be filled with a grad Transfer IMO I would like a guard that can hit open shots so we don't need to rely on freshman and can redshirt one if they are not ready.

Dickenson, Cryer, Fletcher, and Carlson are guys Purdue has a realistic chance on that all have ridiculous potential. Now is the time to strike when the iron is hot. Laravia, grad transfer, or pocket the scholarship are the best options (mix and match as you choose). Cryer plus Dickenson would be best case scenario. Especially if you take Laravia this year. If you miss/pass on Laravia.. Carlson and Fletcher would be fine consolation prizes (there is heavy sarcasm here because they are both plan A type players.) A bird in the hand is worth two in the Bush though. Purdue passed on Bane hoping to land some top end targets in the ‘17 class, and whiffed the top end targets (except Nojel) and Bane ended up being an immediate impact at TCU. It worked out as Painter found some absolute underrated gems in that class, but that was a big risk and lucky to find that kind of talent available late in the process. Don’t expect to find a Haarms and Wheeler late every year.

Laravia checks a lot of boxes, and there isn’t really anybody else like him on the radar currently. I think Painter would turn him into a very good player.

I have only read and seen limited clips of him (so take this with a grain of salt) but I hope Purdue offers. 6’8” with good athleticism and 3 point range with the late growth spurt is a good combo. Most late growers played guards at some point and have good handles and a quicker shot, he has both.

Committed to Indiana state today. Fyi

Indiana State has a pretty incredible class. Barnes, Hankins, and Williams are going to be very good and Laravia is a perfect compliment. They have a legit chance to be a perennial tournament team (even without winning the conference tournament) if their coach can develop those players.

Purdue looked pretty hard at Barnes early, but cooled off. He has played very well everywhere he has gone. Laravia is a stretch four that will feast in the MVC. A very complete class and I expect Lansing to get the most out of them as well as continue to get some really good players. JMV should be pretty pleased with the direction that program is going.

This year Indiana got one school into the tournament. That is unacceptable. With as much talent that Indiana puts out and has the ability to draw in, there is no reason to have any less than 3-4 teams every year. I will be pulling for Indiana State for sure. Barnes could end up being a star for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT