ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Plummer

Plummer isn't that far behind Sindelar in most aspects. He has a grasp of the offense (only one year less than Sindelar) and has a good enough arm to make all the throws. The only issue would be adjusting to the speed of the game against TCU would be the only issue. My guess is that if Plummer does play, we will more than likely see more designed QB runs and read options plays along with Brohm and Sheppard making adjustments and audibles from the sideline. They will try to take as much off his plate as possible...probably telling him, make your first and second read and if it isn't there, tuck it and run to the side of your outlet for an easy throw or run.

I still think Purdue can win with Plummer
If we are relying on Read Option, we're screwed.

Reactions: doubleyous
The only way Eli doesn't play is if he's not cleared from the concussion. If that's the case he's not going to be dressed.
He's either up or down. However, it does make one wonder, even if he does play, if there will be a package for Plummer. He has been practicing with the first team this week and he would have the practice reps on whatever new plays are installed for TCU. Maybe we see a return of rotating QB's? Not my preference, but it might make sense this week if Eli is cleared but not until late in the week.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
If I'm watching Purdue run a read option in 2019, I'll be hoping that the alarm clock will be going off any second, so that I can wake up and towel off the cold sweat that I must have been in.......

I didn't mean they are going to rely solely on the read option but it is an option more so than with Sindelar for obvious reasons. This is the type of play that I was referencing but with the QB running more to the left to put the defenders in a position to leave Plummer open to run off the dive read or leave the slot (Moore) by jumping to Plummer.

Utah-RPO-Still-1.jpg

As coach said in the presser this week, Elijah and Jack have gotten equal reps throughout the fall, and Jack will not be playing with a reduced playbook.

The practices that I've been to, you must look at the O-line to figure out who is on the field, because most of the offensive parts are interchangeable. Of course, you never know how someone is gonna perform when it's real, but Jack has looked pretty good in practice.

The same cannot be said about Aiden. When he gets reps, it's obvious, but not always because of his performance, but because there is significant difference in the people surrounding him.

Finally, Paul looks like a valid NFL candidate, just from a physical standpoint. Wish he had a little more time on campus!

I didn't mean they are going to rely solely on the read option but it is an option more so than with Sindelar for obvious reasons. This is the type of play that I was referencing but with the QB running more to the left to put the defenders in a position to leave Plummer open to run off the dive read or leave the slot (Moore) by jumping to Plummer.

Utah-RPO-Still-1.jpg
The success of the read option would seem to be heavily predicated upon the abilities of the offensive line, with experience being the major component....

Sooooo,..............

Having our QB run the ball put us in this position....
Having our QB who isn’t comfortable running the ball run it is what put us in this position. Obviously anything can happen but if Jack really is a more mobile guy then he should have some more experience on taking a hit in a safe manner rather than putting his head down to plow through or brace the hit

Having our QB with limited mobility run behind a line that experienced RBs can't run behind is what got us here.
Who are the experienced RBs? We have a FB masquerading as a RB and a true freshman.

I thought your point was that even experienced RBs can't run behind this line and we don't have those experienced RBs anyway.

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m excited to see what we have in Plummer. The future is now!
Hopefully the 4 inches between his ears are as good as his physical attributes. I still believe he may be one of our best ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT