ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Benter Not Indiana's Mr. Basketball

oldboiler52

True Freshman
Jan 5, 2012
Finished 2nd behind Flory Bedunga. Jack had better numbers than the Kansas commit. The limited sports reporters for the AP chose the one with the highest ranking. I have no clue what Jack's ceiling is but he had one hell of a HS career. Finished 11th on the Indiana all-time scoring list with 2550 points. I have to confess I always watched Jack's games live. And the other 5 mainly recorded games. He is a walking bucket he scores from everywhere with ease. For the last 2yrs I have seen Jaw dropping plays one after another. My favorite is breaking the backboard just ahead of all the buzzer beating threes he almost always made. In my heart he is the best recruit I have seen since Braden Smith. In my head I also know Daniel and Kanon are NBA locks with Gicarri and CJ close behind. Burgess with his size will get a look. Jack is a Dakota Mathias type of player at 6'6" he can play all but the 5 effectively. Any class that has Jack is better because he is in it.

Didn't expect Benter to win. Vote went as expected.

But I love your comments on his play, and look forward to seeing him on the court in the next year or two. Sounds like a high character guy that's going to be easy to love. Been a multitude of Indiana stars that did not win Mr. BB, but were great college guys and several even on the NBA level.

Last edited:
Finished 2nd behind Flory Bedunga. Jack had better numbers than the Kansas commit. The limited sports reporters for the AP chose the one with the highest ranking. I have no clue what Jack's ceiling is but he had one hell of a HS career. Finished 11th on the Indiana all-time scoring list with 2550 points. I have to confess I always watched Jack's games live. And the other 5 mainly recorded games. He is a walking bucket he scores from everywhere with ease. For the last 2yrs I have seen Jaw dropping plays one after another. My favorite is breaking the backboard just ahead of all the buzzer beating threes he almost always made. In my heart he is the best recruit I have seen since Braden Smith. In my head I also know Daniel and Kanon are NBA locks with Gicarri and CJ close behind. Burgess with his size will get a look. Jack is a Dakota Mathias type of player at 6'6" he can play all but the 5 effectively. Any class that has Jack is better because he is in it.
If Jack was at a 3A school, and had played against more Indy schools, he might have had a chance.

If Jack was at a 3A school, and had played against more Indy schools, he might have had a chance.
They scheduled many this year, the problem was that he was injured for those games and couldn't play. If had played and put up big numbers, it certainly could have swayed some votes. Vote was 198-122.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I believe he did play at Carmel and they won. I think he was out for the HOF Classic but they won without him against Brownsburg in the early game anyway. They didn't play an exclusively Indy metro area schedule but imo they proved themselves to be legitimate in some of the bigger games they did play against such teams.

I think Bidunga was pretty dominant though and I can't argue against him winning either.

Finished 2nd behind Flory Bedunga. Jack had better numbers than the Kansas commit. The limited sports reporters for the AP chose the one with the highest ranking.
That sounds petty. Jack is a guard who can control the ball. I've watched a lot of Kokomo games. Flory was in the post and reliant on his guards to get him the ball. Check out his stats from the Fishers game in December. The reason they're that bad is because his guards acted like they forget he was on the team. In the Regional rematch against Fishers they struggled to get him the ball.

The kid is a 5 star talent who will likely look very good when he's running in Kansas' offense.

Reactions: *4purdue*
That sounds petty. Jack is a guard who can control the ball. I've watched a lot of Kokomo games. Flory was in the post and reliant on his guards to get him the ball. Check out his stats from the Fishers game in December. The reason they're that bad is because his guards acted like they forget he was on the team. In the Regional rematch against Fishers they struggled to get him the ball.

The kid is a 5 star talent who will likely look very good when he's running in Kansas' offense.

Reactions: Boiler79

I’m not sure how he will be at KU..he may even come off the bench tbh

I recall that football player who put up incredible numbers against lower level teams and was a mr football and was a total bust in college. There was another football player who put up tremendous numbers as a rb and went to IU as a walkon. Again, he was a total bust.

I believe a mr basketball needs to be successful against the best schools, not just big schools! Rather than selection based on stats, I’d rather see the award go to the best player on the best team. Sort of like the mvp rather than going to a stats generator

I recall that football player who put up incredible numbers against lower level teams and was a mr football and was a total bust in college. There was another football player who put up tremendous numbers as a rb and went to IU as a walkon. Again, he was a total bust.

I believe a mr basketball needs to be successful against the best schools, not just big schools! Rather than selection based on stats, I’d rather see the award go to the best player on the best team. Sort of like the mvp rather than going to a stats generator
So last year someone on Ben Davis should have won Mr Indiana Basketball? Their best player went to Ball State

I’m not sure how he will be at KU..he may even come off the bench tbh
I would guess he's not starting anytime soon based on who Kansas has returning and coming in from the portal. Are we expecting Benter to play soon? I wasn't expecting early PT for him based on the guard depth we return and who is coming in with Jack.

I would guess he's not starting anytime soon based on who Kansas has returning and coming in from the portal. Are we expecting Benter to play soon? I wasn't expecting early PT for him based on the guard depth we return and who is coming in with Jack.
Well Flory is the 11th overall player in 2024 and Jack is 294. I think In non covid year times/NIL, flory would definitely be starting and it’d be crazy for him not to be starting. But with kids coming back for their 5th and 6th years and being 23-26, Flory probably won’t start—and may stick around for another year.

Unless Jack can be better than Loyer and Colvin on both sides of the ball right away, I’ve always thought he’d red shirt. Saw someone say his dad would retire from coaching HS when Jack plays college ball, but his dad hasn’t yet so it may indicate that Jack is planning to RS this year (that could be all speculation).

I’m sad to say I don’t foresee him ever starting for Purdue as long as Myles, Harris, Loyer and Smith remain at Purdue

I’m sad to say I don’t foresee him ever starting for Purdue as long as Myles, Harris, Loyer and Smith remain at Purdue
Well if he RS, smith and Loyer are graduating next year. Would say Colvin leaves after his jr year for the draft. So Benter would wait two total years, but only 1 actual year where he plays behind those guys. And then he’d play along side Harris (if he hasn’t gone to the draft). So I think he’d be ok with that.

Last edited:

Lol. OK Nostradamus......kids haven't even got to Purdue and you already have them weighed measured and benched. Not just for a year, but for all 4 years. Well done.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerAndy
I am a Flory defender and I think he is a worthy pick too. Stand up kid whose development has been astronomical from when he started. He was basically Edey-esque at the HS level in Indiana for Kokomo.

Lol. OK Nostradamus......kids haven't even got to Purdue and you already have them weighed measured and benched. Not just for a year, but for all 4 years. Well done.
Hey man, ease up. Wole was just stating his forum right of opinion, and notice he was regretful in what he said about JB.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
This is based on how many games you’ve watched him play in high school?
Again, going to defend Wole's right to speculate. A small public school kid isn't likely to start in major college ball right away, and the way things are lining up, maybe not at all. Though we all wish the kid the Boiler Best.

Again, going to defend Wole's right to speculate. A small public school kid isn't likely to start in major college ball right away, and the way things are lining up, maybe not at all. Though we all wish the kid the Boiler Best.
Would you say Trey Kaufman Renn is from a small public school?

I’m sorry. I don’t see Loyer or Smith leaving early. That gives them 2 more years at Purdue. Everybody here loves Harris and Myles. I believe Catchings will play the 3 instead of the 4. Because I like TKR and Burgess.

Benter is a nice shooter from a small high school. I just don’t see him beating out Myles or Harris. I also don’t see Myles or Harris being one and done or leaving early for the NBA.

And it’s a given Painter plays players based on their ability to play defense rather than their ability to shoot the three. I’m sorry , but that’s a fact and I don’t even have to watch a game to know that.

So where does that leave Benter? Do you love Benter based on his defensive ability ? Or his ability to hit a three against small school competition?

I feel the same way for Cox and felt the same way for Wadell. A lot of people here loved Wadell when he was first signed. These two players have talent. But others have more talent.

I’m sorry. I don’t see Loyer or Smith leaving early. That gives them 2 more years at Purdue. Everybody here loves Harris and Myles. I believe Catchings will play the 3 instead of the 4. Because I like TKR and Burgess.

Benter is a nice shooter from a small high school. I just don’t see him beating out Myles or Harris. I also don’t see Myles or Harris being one and done or leaving early for the NBA.

And it’s a given Painter plays players based on their ability to play defense rather than their ability to shoot the three. I’m sorry , but that’s a fact and I don’t even have to watch a game to know that.

So where does that leave Benter? Do you love Benter based on his defensive ability ? Or his ability to hit a three against small school competition?

I feel the same way for Cox and felt the same way for Wadell. A lot of people here loved Wadell when he was first signed. These two players have talent. But others have more talent.

Its ok for frosh to come in and wait for starting time until Jr & Sr years.....in MOST cases at Purdue that is what is common.

Btw.....don't see 6-9" Catchings as a 3 either. Purdue has always been better with a dynamic 4. I see Catchings as our next one. Plus that allows other talent @ the 3 which even you admit we are long on with several very talented 6-4+ guys. Thus Catchings at the 3 would be the biggest surprise thing you say to me.

Last edited:
Pour on the hate and name calling!

while I may be in the minority here, I’m in the vast majority of coaches, scouts and people who rank high school players for a living.

You people love the people at 24/7 and rivals when they give a Purdue recruit a 4 and 5 star rating but say they are ignorant if they only give our guy a 3 star rating. You say the same the same thing when they give a player going to a rival school a high rating. Is Cox or Benter really better than Perry? Nobody outside Purdue seems to think so.

The people at rating services do that for a living. They get paid to evaluate players and their future success. Are they not also Nostradamus? The thing is, that’s their job! Do I criticize you for doing your job?

I also see to be in the majority of college coaches. Do the coaches at Duke, Kansas, MSU, Marquette, Gonzaga believe he will start for them? Were they even interested in recruiting him?

he’s a nice player, but how many coaches of other teams share your opinion?

I must have missed it. did he lay in the McDonald’s game? I guess their selection committee knows nothing.

I’m not saying he’s a bad player. I’m just saying there is more required to be a starter for a big name college team than to just be a nice 3 point shooter. And at Purdue we already have two starting guards who will be with us for 2 more years. And we have Myles and Harris who both seem to have a lot more talent.

I’d love to see him succeed. But I just see the talent of our other players and I don’t see it happening.

The same is the case for Berg. I’d love to see him succeed as well. I just don’t believe he’s better than TkR, Furst, Jacobson or Burgess.

The same applies to Heide. He’s a nice player, but I don’t see him beating out Catchings or the other big boys at Pf and I don’t see him beating out Myles or Harris at guard.

My posts are not meant to be negative. I’m just echoing what others who are paid to evaluate players are also saying. Rather than being critical of him, I’m praising our other players

Pour on the hate and name calling!

while I may be in the minority here, I’m in the vast majority of coaches, scouts and people who rank high school players for a living.

You people love the people at 24/7 and rivals when they give a Purdue recruit a 4 and 5 star rating but say they are ignorant if they only give our guy a 3 star rating. You say the same the same thing when they give a player going to a rival school a high rating. Is Cox or Benter really better than Perry? Nobody outside Purdue seems to think so.

The people at rating services do that for a living. They get paid to evaluate players and their future success. Are they not also Nostradamus? The thing is, that’s their job! Do I criticize you for doing your job?

I also see to be in the majority of college coaches. Do the coaches at Duke, Kansas, MSU, Marquette, Gonzaga believe he will start for them? Were they even interested in recruiting him?

he’s a nice player, but how many coaches of other teams share your opinion?

I must have missed it. did he lay in the McDonald’s game? I guess their selection committee knows nothing.

I’m not saying he’s a bad player. I’m just saying there is more required to be a starter for a big name college team than to just be a nice 3 point shooter. And at Purdue we already have two starting guards who will be with us for 2 more years. And we have Myles and Harris who both seem to have a lot more talent.

I’d love to see him succeed. But I just see the talent of our other players and I don’t see it happening.

The same is the case for Berg. I’d love to see him succeed as well. I just don’t believe he’s better than TkR, Furst, Jacobson or Burgess.

The same applies to Heide. He’s a nice player, but I don’t see him beating out Catchings or the other big boys at Pf and I don’t see him beating out Myles or Harris at guard.

My posts are not meant to be negative. I’m just echoing what others who are paid to evaluate players are also saying. Rather than being critical of him, I’m praising our other players

Didn't mean to offend by calling you Nostradamus. It was a joke, thus the lol. But sorry.

Likely you are right about JB not starting.....but one could say that about ANY of our frosh...as that is the most common occurrence their frosh year

But to say he won't start as long as Myles (3yrs) & Harris (4 yrs) are here, is kinda weird especially when you likely have seen neither Harris or JB play much.

Last edited:

Benter RS this coming year. He’s a RS Frosh next year and doesn’t play much with Smith and Loyer being seniors. They graduate in 2026. In 2027 Benter is a RS sophomore that may get more playing time/maybe start..who knows? But smith, Loyer and Waddell graduate by 2026. Colvin (hopefully) will be off to nba after his junior year in 2026. That opens up 3-4 spots Benter could play by his RS sophomore year with Harris (assume he stays as a jr) and Cox.

Benter RS this coming year. He’s a RS Frosh next year and doesn’t play much with Smith and Loyer being seniors. They graduate in 2026. In 2027 Benter is a RS sophomore that may get more playing time/maybe start..who knows? But smith, Loyer and Waddell graduate by 2026. Colvin (hopefully) will be off to nba after his junior year in 2026. That opens up 3-4 spots Benter could play by his RS sophomore year with Harris (assume he stays as a jr) and Cox.

You could be right. Me, I don't know who is going to RS, but I do believe it is a probability that 1-2 do. Not such a hard sell when families can see the higher value NILs going to older players.

You are giving him credit that he even knows where he went to HS yet alone watched his play. Just another hot take from him with no basis. Give me some basis of the opinion. That’s what these forums are about right?

You are giving him credit that he even knows where he went to HS yet alone watched his play. Just another hot take from him with no basis. Give me some basis of the opinion. That’s what these forums are about right?
Well, I certainly know where he played, as my high school beat Brownstown in the 2004 class 2A state finals.

The basis of my opinion is based on two things. Past history of Painter’s decisions. And that the opinions of people whose job it is to rate and scout players know what they are doing and talking about.

How many times have people here said Painter values defense over 3 point shooting when it comes to giving playing time? I have heard and read zip about this player’s ability to play defense. No analyst talks about and no fan talks about it. All the fans ever talk about is his 3 point shooting ability. Without the ability to play defense, he will never play for Purdue.

I also value the opinions of coaches, scouts and analysts when they rate a player. I look at offers. To me, if a player doesn’t receive an offer from a certain coach, that player must not be up to the standards of that coach. Coaches just don’t give out scholarships to anybody . Even legacy players need to have some type of talent to receive an offer.

And the people who rate players do so as a profession. It is their job to watch players and to also watch film of players. They know the fundamentals of the game and are objective. They can identify flaws in a player’s game as well as identify their talent and future potential. They may miss on a couple of players, but given the amount of ratings/reviews they provide, they are usually very accurate!

are Catchings or Harris or Burgess any good? The experts whose job it is to rate players seem to think so. Fans who see their ratings seem to think so. If a fan loves a player because of his rating, isn’t it also logical for a fan to believe a player with a 4 or 5 star rating is better than a player with a 3 star rating?

The guard who went to UCONN was a much higher rated guard coming out of high school than Smith. Purdue fans love Smith. But the truth is the guard who went to UCONN was actually the better guard. And all of the rating services predicted it. The people who get paid to predict the future success were accurate .

I’ve seen a few players actually play. I’ve also been to a few AAU and college games. But that is not my job. When I hire a plumber or guy to fix my air conditioner or my roof, I am dependent on reviews and I also expect them to know what they are doing. I don’t question their ability to do their job. And I don’t try to do their job for them. I’ve hired a few plumbers who had no clue what they were doing and I’ve had a few auto mechanics who were also clueless. But the vast majority of professionals knew what they were doing. Can I build a bridge? No! I trust those whose job it is to build the bridge for me.

That brings me to this forum. I don’t profess to be an expert. What I do profess is that I agree with the national experts who rate players rather than the people who are posters here who claim to be experts! Given a choice, I will accept the opinion of a person who has no bias. Than one who claims to be a die hard Boiler fan.

Let’s consider Sisley and Harrelson. are they as good as posters here say they are? Or should I agree with the ratings that people who rate players say about them?

Now to Benton. NBA scouts haven’t really raved about Smith. So I believe he and Loyer will remain another two years. I don’t share the confidence of other Purdue posters that Harris or Myles will leave early for the NBA either. I have to believe Harris and Myles will both start before Benton does. I also believe Heide and Catchings will.

Maybe I should clarify my statement that Benton will never start as long as Harris, Myles, Catchings and Heide are playing for Purdue. With today’s portal, they could all leave for more money just like Strong and Dickinson and Domask and Jones left their schools. It seems today that players are saying they are loyal and then leaving. Who predicted Dickinson would leave Michigan for Kansas? Maybe Smith will leave for Kansas. What would never happen 4 years ago is a possibility today.

However, when you have 6 recruits in one class and several who play the same position, it doesn’t require an expert to say someone will never start. Will Burgess start over Catchings? Will Jacobson start over Berg?

Don’t forget! We still have to consider we are 1 over our scholarship limit. That means one player somebody had high hopes for will not even be on our team when the season starts.

And let’s look to the future! I have to believe Painter will sign a 4/5 star guard in 2 years. And I believe that 4/5 guard will start as a freshman over a 3 star guard who’s been here for 2 years. Isn’t that what Smith and Loyer did over Hunter and IT? Doesn’t anybody envision that as a possibility?

Are recruiting rankings actually accurate?

Let's take a look at this year's all American teams

1st team
RJ Davis 4 star, #52
Zach Edey 3 star
Dalton Knecht unranked
Jamal Shead 4 star, #33
Tristan Newton unranked

Hmm... not a great job by the recruiting services. Let's look at the second team.

2nd team
Hunter Dickinson 4 star, #40
Kyle Filipowski 5 star, #5
DaRon Holmes 4 star, #47
Tyler Kolek unranked
Mark Sears 3 star

Finally got a five star but only one...

By count
5 star 1
4 star 4
3 star 2
Unranked 3

Now of course you can argue whether this is the best way of evaluating the accuracy of the rankings. Perhaps looking at the draft is better but given that I am concerned about college success, I think that is a good illustration that projecting the success of 18 year olds is extraordinarily difficult and that the recruiting rankings are wrong more than they are right.

Are recruiting rankings actually accurate?

Let's take a look at this year's all American teams

1st team
RJ Davis 4 star, #52
Zach Edey 3 star
Dalton Knecht unranked
Jamal Shead 4 star, #33
Tristan Newton unranked

Hmm... not a great job by the recruiting services. Let's look at the second team.

2nd team
Hunter Dickinson 4 star, #40
Kyle Filipowski 5 star, #5
DaRon Holmes 4 star, #47
Tyler Kolek unranked
Mark Sears 3 star

Finally got a five star but only one...

By count
5 star 1
4 star 4
3 star 2
Unranked 3

Now of course you can argue whether this is the best way of evaluating the accuracy of the rankings. Perhaps looking at the draft is better but given that I am concerned about college success, I think that is a good illustration that projecting the success of 18 year olds is extraordinarily difficult and that the recruiting rankings are wrong more than they are right.
All those rankings are from Rivals FYI

An interesting question. Let's look at 2019, the last full year prior to COVID. I don't know what the results will be so will we find out together.

1st team
RJ Barrett 5 star, #1
Rui Hachimura unranked
Grant Williams 3 star
Ja Morant unranked
Zion Williamson 5 star, #5

2nd team
Jarrett Culver 3 star
Carsen Edwards 4 star, #91
Ethan Happ 3 star, #123
Markus Howard 4 star, #73
Cassius Winston 4 star, #129

By count
5 star 2
4 star 3
3 star 3
Unranked 2

Slightly higher rankings than this year but still half of the first and second teams were 3 star or lower.

Perhaps this isn't as surprising as it seems. I think that a detailed analysis would show that 5 and 4 star players are much more likely to make the all American teams but that since there are so few of them compared to the 3 stars and the unranked players that there still ends up being substantial representation for these lower ranked players.

Still I admit that I was surprised to find so few five star players on the teams. Perhaps that is also partially driven by the tendency of a few certain schools (Duke, Kentucky etc) to pick up large numbers of them which necessarily limits the playing time of at least some of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT