ADVERTISEMENT

Izzo passes the peace pipe

Nov 9, 2011
The two coaches make it clear that there is no animosity between them. Will the fan bases follow suit?

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...partans-purdue-boilermakers-big-men/80039752/

“I was pretty honest with you guys from the beginning when I didn’t think we’d get him,” Izzo said Monday of Swanigan, “and then all of a sudden we get him and this and that. … There were never any hard feelings. The night he decommitted, I talked to (Purdue coach) Matt Painter that night. I called him. I said, ‘Hey, don’t worry. I hear rumors that you guys are in there.’ I’m not worried that they did something wrong or that. I look at it like it worked out great for him. He’s doing well. But it worked out great for us, too.”

That's nice and all, but izzo is still a douche.
I won't go that far, but Izzo is pretty much a phony with regard to his recruiting tactics.. This "aw shucks" routine he pulls when talking about not thinking he'd land Biggie belies an apex predator who has no hesitation to exploit Purdue's talent evaluation skills to locate his Indiana targets, then swoop in, flash his Final Four bling, and sway talented kids that otherwise likely end up at Purdue.

That's why head- to- head wins over MSU, and breaking our Final Four drought are so important.....

T
“I was pretty honest with you guys from the beginning when I didn’t think we’d get him,” Izzo said Monday of Swanigan, “and then all of a sudden we get him and this and that. … There were never any hard feelings. The night he decommitted, I talked to (Purdue coach) Matt Painter that night. I called him. I said, ‘Hey, don’t worry. I hear rumors that you guys are in there.’ I’m not worried that they did something wrong or that. I look at it like it worked out great for him. He’s doing well. But it worked out great for us, too.”

IIRC, when all this was going down real time, wasn't it reported that CMP called Izzo to assure him that we didn't know anything about this until it happened, and not the other way around? If so, Izzo's "innocent" mistatement is designed to make him look like the bigger person, which, of course, only diminishes him to all those who believe the other version of the timeline. Guess we'll never really know the whole, unvarnished, truth about it.:confused:

Would this have been discussed if MSU had won? Would it have been brought forward if we didn't play again in a few weeks. Maybe he is looking for an edge, "Ah sucks, that Izzo guy ain't so bad. Maybe we should cut him some slack".

I also recall Painter saying that he called Izzo, and not the story Izzo is handing out. This basketball game is being played on so many levels.

:cool:

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Izzo report sounds correct to me. If I remember right wasn't there rumors that Caleb was leaning toward Cal, with Purdue coming in a close second. MSU was pretty much out of it, then all of a sudden he committed to MSU? Izzo stated he didn't think he was getting him, and then all of a sudden a verbal to MSU? Does it really matter who called who? They seemed to have a nice handshake and chat after the game the other night...No TC blow byes if there was any animosity.

Would this have been discussed if MSU had won? Would it have been brought forward if we didn't play again in a few weeks. Maybe he is looking for an edge, "Ah sucks, that Izzo guy ain't so bad. Maybe we should cut him some slack".

I also recall Painter saying that he called Izzo, and not the story Izzo is handing out. This basketball game is being played on so many levels.

:cool:
Now that you and the other above poster mentire it, I think it was said a while ago that Painter called Izzo....

Yep... he's a douche. Great coach no doubt, but still a douche.

am I the only one who does not care about izzo or msu? We won. They can disappear as far as I'm concerned. I don't care about their snot mouth players, their cry baby coach, or their cult brainwashed fans.

there might not be hard feelings between the coaches but the reason biggie came to purdue is because izzo lied to him about being a 4. swanigan was not pleased so there might be hard feelings there.

The two coaches make it clear that there is no animosity between them. Will the fan bases follow suit?

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...partans-purdue-boilermakers-big-men/80039752/

Dear Tom, most of the animosity lately was over Dawson and continued for four years. Other than that Tom, most of us with daughters don't approve of you harboring rapists and trying to turn one of them into some kind of great kid with a little girl with cancer. Spin that shit Tom.

Reactions: PurdueGator and BBG
Now that you and the other above poster mentire it, I think it was said a while ago that Painter called Izzo....

Why are people looking at the above statement from Izzo as if it contradicts the statement Painter gave about calling Izzo? Izzo said "I talked to Matt Painter", it doesn't say "I called MattPainter". People who are suggesting that Izzo is making up something here that didn't happen need to look more closely at what was said to see that these do not conflict with one another. Not griping on you in particular since multiple people in this thread all said the same thing, just picked you were the last one to mention it.

Why are people looking at the above statement from Izzo as if it contradicts the statement Painter gave about calling Izzo? Izzo said "I talked to Matt Painter", it doesn't say "I called MattPainter". People who are suggesting that Izzo is making up something here that didn't happen need to look more closely at what was said to see that these do not conflict with one another. Not griping on you in particular since multiple people in this thread all said the same thing, just picked you were the last one to mention it.
Umm...might want to read the sentence after "I talked with Matt Painter that night." The one where it says "I called him."

Reactions: BBG and Heller
Umm...might want to read the sentence after "I talked with Matt Painter that night." The one where it says "I called him."
My mistake. I read the whole thing and somehow overlooked that in the middle; sorry about that. Although I suppose it's possible they spoke more than once, perhaps they took turns being the ones who hit 'send'?

Regardless, I agree with the OP's thought that this appears to be a non-issue for the coaches. Continuing in my same line of thinking as earlier, I really don't understand why this board seems to be rather sensitive about Izzo/MSU as it relates to Swanigan. I mean, he decommitted from there and came here, remember? If anyone was going to be worked up, one would think it would be them.

My mistake. I read the whole thing and somehow overlooked that in the middle; sorry about that. Although I suppose it's possible they spoke more than once, perhaps they took turns being the ones who hit 'send'?

Regardless, I agree with the OP's thought that this appears to be a non-issue for the coaches. Continuing in my same line of thinking as earlier, I really don't understand why this board seems to be rather sensitive about Izzo/MSU as it relates to Swanigan. I mean, he decommitted from there and came here, remember? If anyone was going to be worked up, one would think it would be them.
Again if anyone is upset over Caleb it isn't Purdue fans. I don't know there was a lot of animosity over Gary Harris. Izzo is a phoney, and has been for years. I think that's what people dislike about him. Even MSU facility have issues with his persona which is largely a massive work of fiction.

Again if anyone is upset over Caleb it isn't Purdue fans. I don't know there was a lot of animosity over Gary Harris. Izzo is a phoney, and has been for years. I think that's what people dislike about him. Even MSU facility have issues with his persona which is largely a massive work of fiction.
I don't know any MSU faculty, so you have more insights there than I do. Did you mean to say "do" or "don't" above? Gary had Purdue in his blood, so as someone who has no insider knowledge on recruiting, I'd have to assume Painter had as good a shot at him as anyone else. He opted for MSU, finished 2nd in B1G 2 years in a row, was an integral part of S16 and E8 teams, and was drafted in the 1st round of the NBA. Maybe he could have accomplished more at Purdue, but it's not like he made a bad life decision.

I don't know any MSU faculty, so you have more insights there than I do. Did you mean to say "do" or "don't" above? Gary had Purdue in his blood, so as someone who has no insider knowledge on recruiting, I'd have to assume Painter had as good a shot at him as anyone else. He opted for MSU, finished 2nd in B1G 2 years in a row, was an integral part of S16 and E8 teams, and was drafted in the 1st round of the NBA. Maybe he could have accomplished more at Purdue, but it's not like he made a bad life decision.
I meant most Purdue fans I know we're not upset with Izzo over Gary Harris' choice of schools. If you follow my posts on the subject of legacies you would know that I believe a majority of kids do not follow their parents. The Hollins brothers at Minnesota, Jim Jacson's kid at Wisconsin, GR3 at Michigan, Sean May at UNC, etc. Truth is a kid following his parent is the exception rather than the rule.

I meant most Purdue fans I know we're not upset with Izzo over Gary Harris' choice of schools. If you follow my posts on the subject of legacies you would know that I believe a majority of kids do not follow their parents. The Hollins brothers at Minnesota, Jim Jacson's kid at Wisconsin, GR3 at Michigan, Sean May at UNC, etc. Truth is a kid following his parent is the exception rather than the rule.
don't have anything against Izzo, but he has that Michael Corleone aura about him. His statements are easy to make when you get so much talent every year

Painter was interviewed by Dakich on the radio just a couple of days after the Commit to Purdue and Painter clearly stated then he called Izzo as soon as he knew....should be archived somewhere....

Reactions: BBG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT