ADVERTISEMENT

IU with the 5 point spread..........

PU pit bull

All-American
Dec 4, 2011
18 point lead and they win by 4..............with a bogus goaltending call, smh
Too little too late, but BS call for sure. On to the next....

You can't touch the rim! How about if you can't stop Yogi from getting a layup, figure something else out?

I don't know if AJ was bumped off course as I could only see his hand, but he hit the side of the rim before he blocked it. IU traveled twice before and got a foul with Johnson going down after the travel and they hit the Ft's. Soooo many things could have went different, but give IU credit they played much harder adn had some people hit the three ball I think Purdue wants them to shoot. Give them their due, Crean made history tonight as this was Purdue's first loss to IU when Crean was coaching and Zeller was not on the team. It is actually kind of amazing it ended as close as it was since IU played much harder and got a lot of steals for easy baskets. I wish I knew how AJ got two fouls early since I never got to see the first 25% of the game.

IU got the W in a game that got a lot closer than it should with IU shooting so well and Purdue kind of out of it. I hate that these teams do not play twice every year. Perhaps in the tourney Purdue can play them?

I guessed I missed the rim "touch"............LMAO, big call for sure
Wow, Matt says that if the ball is NOT on the rim adn you hit the rim or net it is NOT goal tending. Says ND was doing that last year and he told the refs down in Indy and they said it si NOT a goal tend if the ball is not on the rim. I really don't know, but I do know TV Ted made the call... :)

I should add that was not the rule years ago

Last edited:
I can't find a copy of the offical rules, but I thought the ball had to have a chance of going in. Since it was legally blocked, it didn't have a chance, so the rim touch shouldn't have mattered. Any one know for sure?

CMP thought it was clean...............like I said, big call but game over
I know you're not supposed to touch the rim, but I highly doubt the ref even saw that. He was probably watching the trajectory of the ball like the rest of us.

I can't find a copy of the offical rules, but I thought the ball had to have a chance of going in. Since it was legally blocked, it didn't have a chance, so the rim touch shouldn't have mattered. Any one know for sure?
Exactly what CMP said.............

I'm going with Valentine had a bad night and blew that call. Ted didn't cost us the win, but he didn't have a stellar night for sure. LOL

Reactions: mathboy
I know you're not supposed to touch the rim, but I highly doubt the ref even saw that. He was probably watching the trajectory of the ball like the rest of us.
Which was clearly on the way up and had not hit the backboard before AJ swatted it.

Goaltending is commonly confused with the related violation of basket interference (also called offensive goaltending) which occurs during an attempted field goal when a player touches the basket, the rim, or the ball when it is on the rim or directly above it............so toughing the rim if the ball isn't on it or above it is not goal tending. Inadvertently toughing the rim when the ball isn't near it is not goal tending.

Goaltending is commonly confused with the related violation of basket interference (also called offensive goaltending) which occurs during an attempted field goal when a player touches the basket, the rim, or the ball when it is on the rim or directly above it............so toughing the rim if the ball isn't on it or above it is not goal tending. Inadvertently toughing the rim when the ball isn't near it is not goal tending.
Ya always know TV Ted is going to be involved in something... :)

Reactions: Ross Mackey
The goal tend was far from the worst call against Hammons tonight. The Bielfeldt flop might be one of the worst calls of the year.
Well he did get two fouls before TV and I wonder what happened in those? no matter, IU played hard adn was more focused. it would be enjoyable if they were to play again , but it probably won't happen

Are you sure it was the correct call? Any refs on the board?

http://g-macsports.com/custompages/Governance/NCAArulebooks/Basketball_Mens_Rule_Book_2013-2015.pdf

It states: "Basket interference occurs when a player: 1. Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket; 2-BasketballRule from JC.indd 84 8/5/2013 9:09:29 AM Rule 9 / Violations and Penalties 85 2. Touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base; 3. Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before it enters the cylinder; or 4. Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position. 5. Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder. b. The cylinder is the imaginary geometric figure that has the ring as its base and is formed by the upward extension of that ring. c. The ball shall be considered to be within the basket when any part of the ball is below the cylinder and the level of the ring. d. A player may have a hand legally in contact with the ball, when this contact continues after the ball enters the cylinder or when, during such action, the player touches or grabs the basket. Art. 3. Goaltending. a. Goaltending occurs when a defensive player touches the ball during a fieldgoal try and each of the following conditions is met: (Exceptions: Rule 10-4.1.i) 1. The ball is on its downward flight; and 2. The ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility, while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the cylinder. b. It is goaltending to touch the ball outside the cylinder during a free throw, regardless of whether the free throw is on its upward or downward flight. c. When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has a possibility of entering the basket."

http://g-macsports.com/custompages/Governance/NCAArulebooks/Basketball_Mens_Rule_Book_2013-2015.pdf

It states: "Basket interference occurs when a player: 1. Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket; 2-BasketballRule from JC.indd 84 8/5/2013 9:09:29 AM Rule 9 / Violations and Penalties 85 2. Touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base; 3. Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before it enters the cylinder; or 4. Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position. 5. Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder. b. The cylinder is the imaginary geometric figure that has the ring as its base and is formed by the upward extension of that ring. c. The ball shall be considered to be within the basket when any part of the ball is below the cylinder and the level of the ring. d. A player may have a hand legally in contact with the ball, when this contact continues after the ball enters the cylinder or when, during such action, the player touches or grabs the basket. Art. 3. Goaltending. a. Goaltending occurs when a defensive player touches the ball during a fieldgoal try and each of the following conditions is met: (Exceptions: Rule 10-4.1.i) 1. The ball is on its downward flight; and 2. The ball is above the level of the ring and has the possibility, while in flight, of entering the basket and is not touching the cylinder. b. It is goaltending to touch the ball outside the cylinder during a free throw, regardless of whether the free throw is on its upward or downward flight. c. When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has a possibility of entering the basket."
okay, it was a bad call, but there were others. Road life...learn to focus all the game and match the effort. Purdue was too late after a good start apparently that we never got to see. :)

I don't know if AJ was bumped off course as I could only see his hand, but he hit the side of the rim before he blocked it. IU traveled twice before and got a foul with Johnson going down after the travel and they hit the Ft's. Soooo many things could have went different, but give IU credit they played much harder adn had some people hit the three ball I think Purdue wants them to shoot. Give them their due, Crean made history tonight as this was Purdue's first loss to IU when Crean was coaching and Zeller was not on the team. It is actually kind of amazing it ended as close as it was since IU played much harder and got a lot of steals for easy baskets. I wish I knew how AJ got two fouls early since I never got to see the first 25% of the game.

IU got the W in a game that got a lot closer than it should with IU shooting so well and Purdue kind of out of it. I hate that these teams do not play twice every year. Perhaps in the tourney Purdue can play them?

PU shoots 35% from 3 shot 40 something so they played better than usual also

This was the MSU game flipped. Home team came out with their A game, brought the intensity, had 1 guy absolutely on fire in the first half. Then eventually got a little complacent when the lead peaked and felt it was in the bag. The road team loosened up and started to make a run, and the collective home team sphincter got tight. End result about as expected.

Side note- I think we'd beat IU 3/5 times on a neutral court, but they were too 'on their game' tonight and had too many 3rd and 4th options coming thru for the first 32 minutes to steal this one on the road.

Reactions: stilldawg
This was the MSU game flipped. Home team came out with their A game, brought the intensity, had 1 guy absolutely on fire in the first half. Then eventually got a little complacent when the lead peaked and felt it was in the bag. The road team loosened up and started to make a run, and the collective home team sphincter got tight. End result about as expected.

Side note- I think we'd beat IU 3/5 times on a neutral court, but they were too 'on their game' tonight and had too many 3rd and 4th options coming thru for the first 32 minutes to steal this one on the road.

...........and the "goaltending" didn't hurt either LOL

...........and the "goaltending" didn't hurt either LOL
I'll be honest. Some of the calls were questionable (goal tend, Beilfeld flop), but I think Purdue got as fair a shake as I've seen in that building. I'm going to give IU some credit- their defensive intensity for 3/4 of the game surprised me.
It's just funny to me the same people who complain about nearly blowing a big lead against a good team at home will also complain about being on the other side of that.

Reactions: mathboy
I'll be honest. Some of the calls were questionable (goal tend, Beilfeld flop), but I think Purdue got as fair a shake as I've seen in that building. I'm going to give IU some credit- their defensive intensity for 3/4 of the game surprised me.
It's just funny to me the same people who complain about nearly blowing a big lead against a good team at home will also complain about being on the other side of that.
I gotcha. Don't forget the missed travel calls too LOL. In all seriousness, IU played well enough to win tonight, but I hate seeing a game end like that is all. Whistle should have never been blown.

I gotcha. Don't forget the missed travel calls too LOL. In all seriousness, IU played well enough to win tonight, but I hate seeing a game end like that is all. Whistle should have never been blown.
Agreed about the specific call being missed. Seems like they ought to at least have the option to review when it's close like that.

Reactions: PU pit bull
Wow, Matt says that if the ball is NOT on the rim adn you hit the rim or net it is NOT goal tending. Says ND was doing that last year and he told the refs down in Indy and they said it si NOT a goal tend if the ball is not on the rim. I really don't know, but I do know TV Ted made the call... :)

I should add that was not the rule years ago
TV Ted made a lot of bad calls. The best one was when Williams clearly knocks it out of bounds right in front of him, and he calls it IU ball. Luckily the other two officials quickly overruled him.

Reactions: Ross Mackey
The flop was ugly, but a Senior should not be in a position to have that done to him. If I'm being honest, I really feel IU got away with 2 travels. Any other perceived traveling, is just incessant complaining and any team will get away with from time to time. They weren't glaring like the last two. And the blocked shot? First, the way we've been going after loose balls, you can't even be sure we come up with the ball...let alone go and score in 7 seconds. They had all the highlight plays, took care of the ball(4 TO's), the defensive and offensive edge. We got calls (16-20), missed FT's(10-16) and turned the ball over(13). Bottom line: If we play the entire game like we did for the last 7 minutes, we blow IU out. The same thing I've been saying over and over, and getting grief for it by some, we have the talent, but Painter is not getting the job done. You don't deserve to win with lazy and lackluster play, on the road, at IU against a ranked opponent. IU played harder, smarter and were coached better last night. We simply let another one get away. And, it sucks.

Reactions: echs86
The rim was flopping not just touched--the call had to be made.

You're talking about what you don't comprehend. Touching the rim, in that case, is not goal tending and did not have to be made. Bad call, those are the facts. I've posted the rules, and clearly shows it a bad call.

The Goal tend was the right call. The flop was bad.....really really bad.
Bottom line is that this game shouldn't have come down to a couple bad calls. IU had a huge lead with under 10 minutes to go and then PU got red hot from 3 and IU played sloppy for a stretch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT