ADVERTISEMENT

IU Sucks Gone?

Counter-point: It's Painter's place of business. If he doesn't want the chant in his workplace, I'm not going to be the one to disrespect him.
mild disagreement.

he's employed to recruit and manage the team.

Yes, also be a community leader in his position.

Regardless, I appreciate his input, and his influence. With that said, there is no moral equivalence to what the dumb@ss IU Loosiers chanted AT a Purdue player, vs what the Purdue students chant... at the IU program. There is no comparison. AT all.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
mild disagreement.

he's employed to recruit and manage the team.

Yes, also be a community leader in his position.

Regardless, I appreciate his input, and his influence. With that said, there is no moral equivalence to what the dumb@ss IU Loosiers chanted AT a Purdue player, vs what the Purdue students chant... at the IU program. There is no comparison. AT all.
Agreed. And I would add that if we’re going to bring “business” into the equation, that Painter is the vendor, and the students are the customers. And very important customers at that.

Reactions: Purdue85
Hmmm, ...If we accept that the "IU sucks" chant is gone, what do we replace it with??? Based on our continued dominance over IU in so many areas I was thinking... "Little Brother, Little Brother"; idk, maybe that is too tame or not nice to little brothers. Funny thing is my big brother went to IU and of course little brother, me went to Purdue. Any suggestions for a new better chant???...
BABY BROTHER...BABY BROTHER.

or

LITTLE SISTER....LITTLE SISTER

or

LOSER...LOSER

I find it funny that so many in this thread think the desire for this chant to go stems from "PC culture", "snowflakes", blah blah blah. Nah, it needs to go because it's stale, it provides more credence to IU than they deserve whether it's football or basketball, and it makes it seem like we give a shit about IU when we are sitting atop the standings and they are in a dumpster fire, per usual. Do it during the IU games, but other than that it seems a bit irrelevant, played out, and hints at an inferiority complex, to be honest.

I find it funny that so many in this thread think the desire for this chant to go stems from "PC culture", "snowflakes", blah blah blah. Nah, it needs to go because it's stale, it provides more credence to IU than they deserve whether it's football or basketball, and it makes it seem like we give a shit about IU when we are sitting atop the standings and they are in a dumpster fire, per usual. Do it during the IU games, but other than that it seems a bit irrelevant, played out, and hints at an inferiority complex, to be honest.

It provides no "credence" to IU.

It rags on them, and it chaps their collective @ss.

Head to head, we own them in football and basketball.

I get it, you don't like the "PC snowflake culture" reference. That's the modern day perception. And, it's deserved. Does it apply here? Not sure. Some people legit don't like the chant. I get a chuckle out of it, because of the historical arrogance of IU fans. they deserve it. They OWN it. they're the little brother, IMHO.

Keep it, don't keep it, I don't care. But, I think it's funny as hell, and IU fans deserve it.

I actually agree with all of this. But again, it seems silly to me for a bunch of middle-aged and elderly Purdue grads to get their panties in a wad over students chanting, while watching their fellow students play a game.

Haha - I seem to remember saying this in a thread last week when you guys were talking about the Haarms chant, and all of you saying it wasn’t going anywhere. That aged well

It provides no "credence" to IU.

It rags on them, and it chaps their collective @ss.

Head to head, we own them in football and basketball.

I get it, you don't like the "PC snowflake culture" reference. That's the modern day perception. And, it's deserved. Does it apply here? Not sure. Some people legit don't like the chant. I get a chuckle out of it, because of the historical arrogance of IU fans. they deserve it. They OWN it. they're the little brother, IMHO.

Keep it, don't keep it, I don't care. But, I think it's funny as hell, and IU fans deserve it.

Sure it gives credence to IU (belief that they are inattely worth something more than they are). We mention them by name in a game that has nothing to do with them. Why?

Head to head we own them, right, so why bother with the chant?

To be honest, I get a chuckle out of it too when I'm attending a game. They do deserve it due to their arrogance. But outside of Purdue homers like us, it makes us look weak to everyone else in my humble opinion.

Sure it gives credence to IU (belief that they are inattely worth something more than they are). We mention them by name in a game that has nothing to do with them. Why?

To be honest, I get a chuckle out of it too when I'm attending a game. They do deserve it due to their arrogance. But outside of Purdue homers like us, it makes us look weak to everyone else in my humble opinion.

No. If we're going to use the word "credence" as defined ... no.

Poke fun? Yes.

Agitate? Absolutely.

Infuritate? No doubt!

Why bother with the chant? Because. College students. Who gives a d@mn. (That's NOT intended as a question.)

We don't look weak. Others get a chuckle out of it. (Most recent example: The Illini fans love it.)

credence - belief in or acceptance of something as true.

I guess the correct way to phrase it would be to say the chant gives credence to IU's belief that they are worth more than they are. I stand corrected.

Agree to disagree on the rest I guess. Although the fact Matt Painter wants it gone is really all that matters at this point.

credence - belief in or acceptance of something as true.

I guess the correct way to phrase it would be to say the chant gives credence to IU's belief that they are worth more than they are. I stand corrected.

Agree to disagree on the rest I guess. Although the fact Matt Painter wants it gone is really all that matters at this point.

No. I don't give a d@mn about "IU's belief" with respect to their worth.

What Painter wants isn't all that matters. I don't think he wants to be seen or considered as a dictator. He has an opinion, a preference.

The students will decide. He needs to convince them. Right now, he has a long road.

One of the primary reasons Painter wants it gone is due to the contrary image it creates to what they are selling as a culture with the program. I'd need to dig a little to find the article I read that in (and maybe it was on the premie side, if so my apologies). But, I think that is pretty significant, and it would be in all our best interests to support the vision he is selling to recruits.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
One of the primary reasons Painter wants it gone is due to the contrary image it creates to what they are selling as a culture with the program. I'd need to dig a little to find the article I read that in (and maybe it was on the premie side, if so my apologies). But, I think that is pretty significant, and it would be in all our best interests to support the vision he is selling to recruits.

I have no problem in the vision he's selling. In fact, that's been my point: Painter needs to sell this. The students also will have a say.

We've gone from "credence to IU" to what Painter is selling. There is no connection between the two.

In the end, the chant will live or die based on the students.

Right there is no connection between the two because the initial comments were my opinions, the secondary comments were Painter's opinions.

You are right though, the students will ultimately decide. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Boiler Up!

Right there is no connection between the two because the initial comments were my opinions, the secondary comments were Painter's opinions.

You are right though, the students will ultimately decide. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Boiler Up!

Agreed.

The Purdue Admin will not win this, if they don't work with the students.

Frankly, I don't care if they chant it or not. I think it's moderately humorous. I can also understand the embarrassment of the overly-sensitive alums.

because it is fun. some people just want life to be bland i guess. dont like it, dont say it. life is full of choices

Hidden message: Coach has good approach that he doesn't believe in bullying. Bullying actually causes lot of violence in school/work place which turns into massacres.

Hidden message: Coach has good approach that he doesn't believe in bullying. Bullying actually causes lot of violence in school/work place which turns into massacres.
By extension IU sucks cheer causes massacres? Wow dude, I've never actually put any thought into the cheer until you brought this point up. And I still don't care what the students do.

I agree with you plus I do not think it is a good way to sell the program to the parents of players. The first few times I heard it I thought it was funny but it is now stale.

Reactions: pharoutengineer
I don't think it adds anything to do it, and I don't think it subtracts anything to not do it. If that's the thing you look forward to in a game, I'm not sure you're there for the right reason.

I really don't think it's even close to being a 'big' deal that requires debate.

I believe like the song, gimme Dat Ding, it's time has run its course, and Purdue needs to move on. much like the Nude Olympics: it has RUN its course.

Bigs, it's obvious your awake at this late hour and would like some mental stimulation. I'd like to argue for the nude olympics.

I would Never argue about the nude olympics. When it came to the nude olympics, like most liberals, I was Pro Choice.

Have you ever made Kraft macaroni and cheese? My bet is that the majority of you have. If you are lazy and don't stir the pot while the macaroni is in the boiling water, what happens? That's right, it all clumps together to make one gigantic worthless clump of macaroni and this is before you add that powdered cheddar cheese stuff, to make your taste watering Kraft macaroni and cheese. The lessen learned, if you want some of that home cooked, Mouth watering, classic Kraft macaroni and cheese, you need somebody to stir the pot! The same applies to Spaghettios. Without that person to stir the pot, it sticks to the pan and burns! Let's just say I know how to make Kraft macaroni and cheese! I stir the pot.

Let's just say I know how to make Kraft macaroni and cheese! I stir the pot.

Actually you're way, waaaay more "the straw that stirs the drink" around here.

2RKy5A8.gif

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT