ADVERTISEMENT

IU Sucks Gone?

First game since CP voiced his displeasure with the chant and the student section didn't do it. Does this mean "IU Sucks" is gone for good?

Ironically a group of 30 Orange Crush students were at the game last night and they chanted IU sucks during Carsen's free throw attempts.
I was at the game and realized afterwards that I hadn’t heard it.

First game since CP voiced his displeasure with the chant and the student section didn't do it. Does this mean "IU Sucks" is gone for good?

Ironically a group of 30 Orange Crush students were at the game last night and they chanted IU sucks during Carsen's free throw attempts.
I was there, and I don’t even remember the band playing the IU sucks song... and I only had 2 beers at Brunos before the game.

The less we mention those candy pants down south the better.

F%^& them....just need to continue beating them on the court.

Reactions: Flot
if they want to continue, they can just do it with another song.

that's what happened in the first place long ago haha

"suck" is only used when you are bad in vocabulary and low in education level.

For years (30 -40?) our cheerleaders have done a cheer in the second half where each female member holds a sign with individual letters that spell out "BOILERS." In recent years that cheer has led into the "IU sucks" shout. Last night the cheer that set the entire thing in motion was also absent.

Reactions: Boilermb
I love the “iu sucks” cheer.
Is it immature and silly? Yes, but so are lots of other things college students do.
Best of all though, it absolutely grinds the iu fan base which makes it fantastic in my book.

For years (30 -40?) our cheerleaders have done a cheer in the second half where each female member holds a sign with individual letters that spell out "BOILERS." In recent years that cheer has led into the "IU sucks" shout. Last night the cheer that set the entire thing in motion was also absent.

I wouldn't be sad to see this one go either. It doesn't add a whole lot...

The band needs to refresh some of the stuff they do anyways, this hopefully will help them keep things a bit more fresh.

I love the “iu sucks” cheer.
Is it immature and silly? Yes, but so are lots of other things college students do.
Best of all though, it absolutely grinds the iu fan base which makes it fantastic in my book.
I didn’t like it at first (”get of my lawn! -in my best old man voice), but the yutes love it. My nephew (Jr) loves it!

Reactions: Purdue85
Reactions: delish1
Purdue students are smart and creative. Where there's a will (and a hate for IU) there's a way. They'll just pick a song the band won't be doing away with.

hail, hail to old purdue!
all hail to our old gold and black!
hail, hail to old purdue!
our friendship may she never lack.
ever grateful, ever true,
thus we raise our song anew
of the days we've spent with you,
all hail our own purdue! ...... IU SUCKS!!!

Ending the chant? Really? Well, that may be the final nail in the "rivalry" coffin. That's too bad. Of course I grew up hating IU. It was a time period where the rivalry was national news. Now it is not politically correct. SMH

frankly, I'm surprised you feel the need to have these type of chants. Can't you just allow your performance on the floor do your talking for you? I have no doubt these chants really fire up the team. NOT !!

Reactions: James J Chitwood

Interesting. I did not know the origin. I'm wasn't really a fan on the grounds of it making us looked obsessed and silly.
But I do love organic traditions and when iu is this bad it is kinda funny. I did also hate that stupid 'dance.' I would have been on that side for sure.
So I guess I'm in the camp of keeping it now. Not that it matters as I've noticed it being gone this year. They should at least send it off in style Saturday

I don't mind it one time per basketball game. It was fun as a student.

I HATED it being chanted after every kickoff during football season. That made me cringe every time.

Reactions: barackmr
Ending the chant? Really? Well, that may be the final nail in the "rivalry" coffin. That's too bad. Of course I grew up hating IU. It was a time period where the rivalry was national news. Now it is not politically correct. SMH
When I was an undergrad in the early 90's I had a letter to the editor published in the Exponent where I was suggesting that during freshmen orientation (I think it was called Gold Rush or something), part of the curriculum be a "Hating IU 101" class.
The Purdue v iu rivalry is in an of itself a 'brand' and should be leveraged. Part of that brand though has to be an absolute disdain for the other school and team.
That's why the bench clearing brawl with iu during the B10 championship baseball game about 7 years ago was not necessarily a 'bad' thing (purely from a marketing/brand prospective, not a sportsmanship prospective). It made national headlines and all the ESPN, etc talking heads sold the rivalry.

frankly, I'm surprised you feel the need to have these type of chants. Can't you just allow your performance on the floor do your talking for you? I have no doubt these chants really fire up the team. NOT !!
"iu Sucks" isn't meant to fire up the team. It's basically a verbal middle finger to iu and reminding them of what the Purdue community thinks about them. It just stokes the rivalry flames and if it bothers iu fans, then it's a win.

Reactions: cjcollie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT