ADVERTISEMENT

IU Sucks Gone?

Hmmm, ...If we accept that the "IU sucks" chant is gone, what do we replace it with??? Based on our continued dominance over IU in so many areas I was thinking... "Little Brother, Little Brother"; idk, maybe that is too tame or not nice to little brothers. Funny thing is my big brother went to IU and of course little brother, me went to Purdue. Any suggestions for a new better chant???...

Hmmm, ...If we accept that the "IU sucks" chant is gone, what do we replace it with??? Based on our continued dominance over IU in so many areas I was thinking... "Little Brother, Little Brother"; idk, maybe that is too tame or not nice to little brothers. Funny thing is my big brother went to IU and of course little brother, me went to Purdue. Any suggestions for a new better chant???...
IU blows? Lol!

Purdue students are smart and creative. Where there's a will (and a hate for IU) there's a way. They'll just pick a song the band won't be doing away with.

hail, hail to old purdue!
all hail to our old gold and black!
hail, hail to old purdue!
our friendship may she never lack.
ever grateful, ever true,
thus we raise our song anew
of the days we've spent with you,
all hail our own purdue! ...... IU SUCKS!!!

If Purdue students start adding that on to the fight song, I will be embarrassed.

Have fun with it elsewhere.

Reactions: Boilermb
for the record, I wasn't a big fan of Boiler Up either.

I've never attended a Michigan/OSU game, and I've heard they have a pretty big rivalry. I've never been to an Army/Navy game either. or Notre Dame / USC or UCLA/USC or Alabama/Auburn games either. I' m curious what chants their students yell.

Do Auburn fans yell, wipe it with tide ?

I'm the Eyore of fans : Go Purdue !

Reactions: indyogb
Frankly, I am not sorry to see that chant go.

Do you know the actual etymology of “sucks”? Most people have no idea and simply assume it to be profane. Old time Jazz musicians use to refer to musicians that could play really well as someone that really “blows” (through the mouthpiece of his horn) and likewise to a poor musician as someone who really “sucks”( again through the mouth piece of the horn). Thus the term “sucks” became the way to describe someone who did anything badly. The phrase “IU sucks” was originated by the Pep Band years ago as a play on words...most of the members being horn players of one kind or the other.
It was actually very clever.....And definitely not something that should be considered objectionable.

I posted a while back the definition of “sucks” as defined by the latest Urban Dictionary who lists this very definition as the first preferred definition of the word. That certainly lends credibility to the Purdue history. The problem is that it originated long enough ago that current Pep Band Members might have no idea of its history.

I wrote to the AD providing the history (who was the one that actually banned the use of the word “sucks” as well as the playing of “Hail Fire” from ever being played at Purdue again per the response I received from the AD’s Office.). The banning was a direct response to the incident at the IU game in Bloomington. Anyway, that’s the history of another Purdue tradition destroyed by those who chose being politically correct regardless of the actual facts.. This is not aimed at you Beth, but rather at the folks in AD’s Office who were given the history but chose to ban a tradition rather than educating fans on the etymology. Pretty ironic for Administrators of a University claiming to be one of the world’s finest “educational” institutions.

If Purdue students start adding that on to the fight song, I will be embarrassed.

Have fun with it elsewhere.

Why? Because you are making an inaccurate assumption? (like many others so not meant to pick on you)

Do you know the actual etymology of “sucks”? Most people have no idea and simply assume it to be profane. Old time Jazz musicians use to refer to musicians that could play really well as someone that really “blows” (through the mouthpiece of his horn) and likewise to a poor musician as someone who really “sucks”( again through the mouth piece of the horn). Thus the term “sucks” became the way to describe someone who did anything badly. The phrase “IU sucks” was originated by the Pep Band years ago as a play on words...most of the members being horn players of one kind or the other.
It was actually very clever.....And definitely not something that should be considered objectionable.

I posted a while back the definition of “sucks” as defined by the latest Urban Dictionary who lists this very definition as the first preferred definition of the word. That certainly lends credibility to the Purdue history. The problem is that it originated long enough ago that current Pep Band Members might have no idea of its history.

I wrote to the AD providing the history (who was the one that actually banned the use of the word “sucks” as well as the playing of “Hail Fire” from ever being played at Purdue again per the response I received from the AD’s Office.). The banning was a direct response to the incident at the IU game in Bloomington. Anyway, that’s the history of another Purdue tradition destroyed by those who chose being politically correct regardless of the actual facts.. This is not aimed at you Beth, but rather at the folks in AD’s Office who were given the history but chose to ban a tradition rather than educating fans on the etymology. Pretty ironic for Administrators of a University claiming to be one of the world’s finest “educational” institutions.
With all due respect as well as no desire to debate what is PC or not, or whether PC is good or bad, the meaning of words can evelove. Case in point. In the early to mid 20th century, the word “gay” meant jolly or happy. That simply isn’t so anymore.

I for one am glad it is being stopped. It doesn’t offend me, nor do I care if it offends others. It is just a bad look and I think Purdue University is above that.

With all due respect as well as no desire to debate what is PC or not, or whether PC is good or bad, the meaning of words can evelove. Case in point. In the early to mid 20th century, the word “gay” meant jolly or happy. That simply isn’t so anymore.

I for one am glad it is being stopped. It doesn’t offend me, nor do I care if it offends others. It is just a bad look and I think Purdue University is above that.

No...it is people wrongly assuming. The very reason I chose to quote the modern Urban Dictionary vice Websters was to get an accurate updated etymology.....With all due respect( as you put it) you are simply trying to defend an inaccurate assumption. Find me another definition of “sucks” that makes the assumption it is profane....You will find it as meaning “bad” not profane.

Thank you for trying to educate the snowflakes in our AD. I mean seriously, if our AD is worried about offending iu fans because we tell them they suck, we might as well ban players from talking trash on the court or field because God forbid, someone might overhear it and get their feelings hurt.

Reactions: mathboy
No...it is people wrongly assuming. The very reason I chose to quote the modern Urban Dictionary vice Websters was to get an accurate etymology.....With all due respect( as you put it) you are simply trying to defend an inaccurate assumption. Find me another definition of “sucks” that makes the assumption it is profane....You will find it as meaning “bad” not profane.

BGal,

I get your point, and it is well-reasoned and thoughtful. However, proudopete has a good point as well, IMO. In addition to whether a particular meaning has evolved/changed, there is still the general public perception to consider (and related connotations) outside of the University circle, regardless of whether those are based upon an inaccurate assumption. Perception can mean everything as I'm sure you know. I don't consider this something falling into the "zone" of PC culture, either.

Moreover, although I'm not always on lbodel's side of the argument, I agree with him there.....I'd rather that cheer not find it's way to the fight song/hymn.....and I'm also not heartbroken to see the whole thing falling out of favor. But, that's just me, and I've got no real issues with those fighting for it or those who like it.

I fully respect your opinion and position.

Mind you, I am a native of the Buckeye State, but I am a Boilermaker for life, by choice. :)

Reactions: Purdue0034

I would agree, words and their meanings have evolved. and I also believe the current use of the phrase IU sucks by Purdue students has nothing to do with it's origin or the pep band. they use the phrase with the meaning the words have in their common language usage.

you can try to defend it's origin all you want, but the truth is that chant is not from the 1920's or the 30's, 40's or even the 50's. and the truth is, the fans who use it today are not using it as a reference to the band.

I don't really want my son being called a negro, and neither does he. And just because I find the use of certain words offensive, if you want to call me a snowflake, go ahead. I've been called worse.

Mmmm
BGal,

I get your point, and it is well-reasoned and thoughtful. However, proudopete has a good point as well, IMO. In addition to whether a particular meaning has evolved/changed, there is still the general public perception to consider (and related connotations) outside of the University circle, regardless of whether those are based upon an inaccurate assumption. Perception can mean everything as I'm sure you know. I don't consider this something falling into the "zone" of PC culture, either.

Moreover, although I'm not always on lbodel's side of the argument, I agree with him there.....I'd rather that cheer not find it's way to the fight song/hymn.....and I'm also not heartbroken to see the whole thing falling out of favor. But, that's just me, and I've got no real issues with those fighting for it or those who like it.

I fully respect your opinion and position.

Mind you, I am a native of the Buckeye State, but I am a Boilermaker for life, by choice. :)

I understand the point both of you are making....It is definitely easier to capitulate to what folks choose to believe to be profane than to educate as to why it is not. But by doing so, it wrongly villifies thousands of Purdue students who chanted it over the years and is a slap in the face to the Pep Band who cleverly originated it (Not to mention the many past Administrations who had no issue with the chant). That is Purdue choosing to make past Purdue students look bad simply because it is the easy way out. I thought my Alma Mater was better than that.

I certainly would not choose to add it to “Hail Purdue” either. However, if the Administration is going to go so far as to even ban “Hail Fire” from ever again being played at Purdue, no one need worry about “IU Sucks” being added to anything...ever.

Gentlemen, we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Mmmm

I understand the point both of you are making....It is definitely easier to capitulate to what folks choose to believe to be profane than to educate as to why it is not. But by doing so, it wrongly villifies thousands of Purdue students who chanted it over the years and is a slap in the face to the Pep Band who cleverly originated it (Not to mention the many past Administrations who had no issue with the chant). That is Purdue choosing to make past Purdue students look bad simply because it is the easy way out. I thought my Alma Mater was better than that.

I certainly would not choose to add it to “Hail Purdue” either. However, if the Administration is going to go so far as to even ban “Hail Fire” from ever again being played at Purdue, no one need worry about “IU Sucks” being added to anything...ever.

Fair enough, and well stated, BGal.....I meant no disrespect. Can't agree on everything, or it would be a much less interesting world. Thank you for your passionate display as an upstanding Boiler Lady.

Mmmm

You must be kidding, right? You are saying that if people choose to define the meaning of a word that it doesn’t mean, then they are wrong? You do realize that the word “suck” doesn’t really mean what you are saying it does, right? The term may have originated from where you say, yet, it has evolved to mean something else, whether you want to believe it or not. I can’t believe you are claiming college kids for the last 15 years or so were using the term as defined by your jazz tidbit. They weren’t.

Fair enough, and well stated, BGal.....I meant no disrespect. Can't agree on everything, or it would be a much less interesting world. Thank you for your passionate display as an upstanding Boiler Lady.

Oh Tex.....Absolutely no disrespect as far as I am concerned by either of you. It would not be the first time I could have been accused of taking “principle” too far over what may have been smart action...Not sure if that is a character strength or weakness but it is definitely me....:oops:. Boiler Up ya’ll!

of all the things ever yelled at a high level basketball rivalry, this has to be the tamest. And it's hilarious that the whole arena does it. good lord no wonder our kids can't cope with anything. ooooooh mommy the mean purdue students yelled bad words at me, I need my therapist! chanting "iu is mediocre, but not in a mean way, we really respect you, we're just ribbing you because you're not good at basketball" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

You must be kidding, right? You are saying that if people choose to define the meaning of a word that it doesn’t mean, then they are wrong? You do realize that the word “suck” doesn’t really mean what you are saying it does, right? The term may have originated from where you say, yet, it has evolved to mean something else, whether you want to believe it or not. I can’t believe you are claiming college kids for the last 15 years or so were using the term as defined by your jazz tidbit. They weren’t.

Whatever Pete.... Not looking for a fight here. Just offering a frame of reference.....(But its not my “tidbit,” rather a little Purdue context). If you choose to believe only in the profane colloquialism so be it, your choice.

Whatever Pete.... Not looking for a fight here. Just offering a frame of reference.....(But its not my “tidbit,” rather a little Purdue context). If you choose to believe only in the profane colloquialism so be it, your choice.
I believe what I think most folks believe and has been the norm for the phrase for quite some time. It means IU isn’t any good, they are bad or okay badly.
I’m not sure what you think people who want it gone believe it means, but I think most are tired of us showing attention to a program at every game that doesn’t deserve recognition. I feel most people also think of it as below the Purdue standard for sportsmanship and professionalism.

It’s that simple, not some far left wing conspiracy.

the problem lies in not what we believe or what the origin was. the problem lies in what it is meant today and by the students who are chanting it. I doubt highly any of them know of its origin or initial meaning or who came up with it. or care. You can call it by any means you choose, but I believe you know how it is being used today, and what its users think it means.

and when they say IU blows, they are not referring to sperm whales.

this is very similar to POTFH. You can provide your own meaning as to what the origin was, and say Tomahawk service fraternity first came up with it, and say it means Purdue Offers Thankfulness for Fighting Hoosiers ! But we all know what it means and how it is used. and trying to claim it is something else does a discredit to our intelligence.

if you do not believe me, you are either very naïve, don't get out much, don't spend much time on the internet, don't interact wit h today's youth, or to use a term someone on this board used to describe me - just being very obtuse.

Why? Because you are making an inaccurate assumption? (like many others so not meant to pick on you)

What am I making an inaccurate assumption on? The post I replied to encouraged people to start doing it at the end of Hail Purdue. I would be embarrassed if that started to happen.

What am I making an inaccurate assumption on? The post I replied to encouraged people to start doing it at the end of Hail Purdue. I would be embarrassed if that started to happen.

I was just making a general comment, Ibodel. The response I received from Bobinski’s Office stated they were banning “Hail Fire” as well as the chant so I can’t imagine it will be tolerated in any other format...But that’s just my guess. I haven’t been on either Board much today so have not seen anything about anyone continuing the Chant. Surely the Students would not be that bold....

It's probably time for it to go. The rest of the world is catching on...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...elevancy-continues-during-another-lost-season

Recently, when I read some comparison like this, I can't help but ask myself, "Is Duke more than Coach K?" They were good before him but had no titles and half their conference championships are during his tenure. I guess I can't help but think that maybe Duke was Purdue before Coach K (with many of the same recruiting disadvantages, relatively). It's hard for me to know for sure since I'm too young to remember the Blue Devils before Krzyzewski. Maybe Purdue is a Coach K type away from being a 'blue blood' as well. Not that I'm advocating for firing Matt Painter, but it's just something I never thought would be possible before these thoughts crept in. How much longer will UCLA be considered a 'blue blood'? I know they had a 'mini-renaissance' in the '00s, but I can't remember them being anything relevant (other than that 'mini-renaissance') since the '90s. I guess it goes to show how difficult it is to do what Kansas, Kentucky, and North Carolina have managed (maybe with a little edge to some shoe companies and a fake academic department ;) ).

The retirement of that chant was long overdue. I was always amused by the fact that it absolutely drove IU fans batshit crazy, and in that respect, it’s unfortunate that their “F*ck you, Haarms” chants were rewarded by Purdue ending “IU sucks.” But it needed to go.

One of the areas where bonefish and I agree. :D
They can do want they want to stop the chant, but it doesn't change the Universal Truth that IU sucks.

IU fans (who are really the source of their suckiness) can use all of the justifications they want for their behavior, but the fact is, the truthful chant has nothing to do with the cause of their behavior. In fact, their behavior validates the chant.

Did the truthful chant cause them to scream racist remarks at a Maryland player in Assembly Hall? Did the truthful chant cause them to rough up a female Kentucky fan in Assembly Hall, and then claim it was her fault for wearing UK garb? Did the truthful chant cause them to scream vile obscenities at a Purdue player's mom in the stands in Assembly Hall? Did the truthful chant cause them to spit on -- and pick fights with -- fans of other B1G teams in Indy bars the week of the B1G Championship tourney?

Nope. All of those things happened before Purdue fans decided to start stating the Universal Truth. While I admire Coach Painter's desire to take the high road, it goes without saying that being silent and not stating the truth does not change the truth.
;)

Reactions: Inspector100
I had no problem with the chant, but if it is going to end, now is a perfect time to do it when Purdue is 14-3 and IU is 5-12 in conference. There was a season about 6 years ago when IU dominated Purdue and it would have looked really bad if Purdue ended the chant that season, as if it was an admission that IU was better. This season, that argument can’t be made.

it’s unfortunate that their “F*ck you, Haarms” chants were rewarded by Purdue ending “IU sucks.”

definitely a bizarre circumstance

The response I received from Bobinski’s Office stated they were banning “Hail Fire” as well as the chant so I can’t imagine it will be tolerated in any other format...

ironic since that's why the chant was switched to the hail fire song in the first place. it will have to fade/die on its own.

definitely a bizarre circumstance

ironic since that's why the chant was switched to the hail fire song in the first place. it will have to fade/die on its own.

God damn it yutes, get pissed, drink lots of beer and figure out a new way to add it back in (in my if I was 30 years younger voice).

God damn it yutes, get pissed, drink lots of beer and figure out a new way to add it back in (in my if I was 30 years younger voice).

giphy.gif

like the train whistle to cover up the football 1st down chant...
it just made the chant louder

It will be gone. CMP just addressed it in the SENIOR NIGHT SPEECH.....so I suppose he is serious. I had no problem with it, but so be it I guess. Wonder what the final reason was?

It will be gone. CMP just addressed it in the SENIOR NIGHT SPEECH.....so I suppose he is serious. I had no problem with it, but so be it I guess. Wonder what the final reason was?
I didn't have a problem with it, but I also see the reason to want it gone. It was cool for a bit but is old and kinda worn out. All this means is it's time to come up with something new.

But I wonder if the administration didn't tell Painter to say something in light of what went on at IU.

Reactions: PU pit bull

I received an email from AD saying it was the IU “F...u Haarms. Also killed the “Hail Fire” song that preceeded it as didn’t want to temp the students.

Reactions: PU pit bull
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT