ADVERTISEMENT

IU Purdue Game

Oct 8, 2001
I went to the game.IU is ranked #12. IU played well and dominated from the beginning and was never seriously challenged. It seems like they were getting more than their share of 50/50 balls.The ref"s calls seemed to favor IU. Purdue struggled to run offense because of on the on ball pressure. IU had little trouble scoring. I hope Purdue can get some bigger guards and small forwards in the future because the present set up is not working against bigger teams. It was a disappointing loss. I hope the players and coaches can improve so we can have a successful season.

Didn't watch this until after I saw the men lost in DOT to Michigan. But the men competed and could have won a tough road game. Not so the WBB team. Until the game didn't count any more, they showed nothing. An Indiana team that we beat like a drum for years has so far passed us that the gap seems impossible to close. I am totally joining the crowd that says Versyp must go. Yes she lost Farquar and seems to lose a lot every year, but this was awful play and there is no way to hide it. We will see whether the AD cares about WBB at all depending on if he brings in a new coach. Next year the team will be youngerand less talented so probably do even worse. If we want to have a competitive program, we have to change. However, I get the suspicion that we will not.

Reactions: jindy
Didn't watch this until after I saw the men lost in DOT to Michigan. But the men competed and could have won a tough road game. Not so the WBB team. Until the game didn't count any more, they showed nothing. An Indiana team that we beat like a drum for years has so far passed us that the gap seems impossible to close. I am totally joining the crowd that says Versyp must go. Yes she lost Farquar and seems to lose a lot every year, but this was awful play and there is no way to hide it. We will see whether the AD cares about WBB at all depending on if he brings in a new coach. Next year the team will be youngerand less talented so probably do even worse. If we want to have a competitive program, we have to change. However, I get the suspicion that we will not.
The scary part is.. is that they only lose 2 players after this season, yet they will be very much less talented... without Harris and Dominique Oden who aren't even All-Americans... they're ok to good players talent wise when comparing them to the elite players in the Big Ten and around Women's college basketball, but for this program... the talent level drops considerably for next season with their graduations.. that shows you how little elite quality depth this program has. Next season could be one of the worst in recent memory

The future doesn't really look bright for this program and that is the big issue I have right now... They lose to IU last night by 18 points with one of the best starting 5's that Versyp has ever had at Purdue even without Tamara, and 2 of the mainstays of the current starting 5 are graduating in May and the team appears headed for even worse seasons for the foreseeable future.

Just my speculation but I believe that this is the deciding season for this staff. With the football and men's basketball staff situations settled within the last couple of years Bobinski can now work on the women's basketball situation. Big question in my opinion - are there any athletic department financial constraints that may prevent a change this year(IF one is warranted following the season). Again my opinion - Purdue needs a top 4/5 conference finish and at least 1 NCAA tournament win to remotely justify continuing with the current staff. Bobinski would also need to have lined up a replacement who can elevate the program or a change wouldn't make much sense. Ivey maybe? Also, it appears that there is some talented recruits committed - what impact would making a change mean for those, either positive or negative?

Reactions: DocRon
Just my speculation but I believe that this is the deciding season for this staff. With the football and men's basketball staff situations settled within the last couple of years Bobinski can now work on the women's basketball situation. Big question in my opinion - are there any athletic department financial constraints that may prevent a change this year(IF one is warranted following the season). Again my opinion - Purdue needs a top 4/5 conference finish and at least 1 NCAA tournament win to remotely justify continuing with the current staff. Bobinski would also need to have lined up a replacement who can elevate the program or a change wouldn't make much sense. Ivey maybe? Also, it appears that there is some talented recruits committed - what impact would making a change mean for those, either positive or negative?
and now that Tamara is out for the season.... it makes it even harder for Sharon to accomplish the goals that you spelled out.. and while there are some ok recruits committed, the immediate future is not all that bright for this program with Harris and Oden graduating... they will have an extremely young team next season and then Karissa will have graduated the following season..this was the season for them to make some noise and now with Tamara's season ending injury it doesn't look good.

and now that Tamara is out for the season.... it makes it even harder for Sharon to accomplish the goals that you spelled out.. and while there are some ok recruits committed, the immediate future is not all that bright for this program with Harris and Oden graduating... they will have an extremely young team next season and then Karissa will have graduated the following season..this was the season for them to make some noise and now with Tamara's season ending injury it doesn't look good.

No disagreement with this DB. I don't have any changes in my expectations, injuries or not. Ironically having commitments from kids who are in classes beyond the 2021 class actually makes a coaching change easier as whomever would replace this staff would still have time to re-recruit them. I TRULY hope that this year turns out better than many fear that it will. If it doesn't, though I believe Bobinski will make the call and head in a different direction. For me there's still the two issues - budget and next level coach options.

Regarding this team and year - just win, baby!

If Ivey was interested in coaching college basketball she would have remained at Notre Dame and succeeded Muffet. She is now an NBA assistant coach and might have the goal of coaching her son in the future as an assistant or head coach.

Reactions: DavidBoiler
Maybe we should not bring in just the Layden girl but also her mother who has coached 5 state champs and working on a 6th(at least as an ass't to Austin Parkinson-NEED TO CHANGE THE CULTURE.)-The other night I watched the movie"Jesse James" with Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda.Henry Hull was the newspaper editor who thought that all RR Presidents "should be shot like mad dogs"I feel the same about our WBB coaching staff.

Reactions: Carolsh
Maybe we should not bring in just the Layden girl but also her mother who has coached 5 state champs and working on a 6th(at least as an ass't to Austin Parkinson-NEED TO CHANGE THE CULTURE.)-The other night I watched the movie"Jesse James" with Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda.Henry Hull was the newspaper editor who thought that all RR Presidents "should be shot like mad dogs"I feel the same about our WBB coaching staff.
A little harsh, don’t you think? Grin.

If Ivey was interested in coaching college basketball she would have remained at Notre Dame and succeeded Muffet. She is now an NBA assistant coach and might have the goal of coaching her son in the future as an assistant or head coach.

I'm likely not nearly as informed as you about her or the situation but if Muffet wasn't planning on retiring for another 3 - 4(or more) years wouldn't that have impacted Ivey's decision to leave for the NBA? Would the option of immediately taking over the head coaching job at a Big Ten program be enough to lure her back to the college level? I'd think that being at the same university as her son might create a little incentive.

I'm likely not nearly as informed as you about her or the situation but if Muffet wasn't planning on retiring for another 3 - 4(or more) years wouldn't that have impacted Ivey's decision to leave for the NBA? Would the option of immediately taking over the head coaching job at a Big Ten program be enough to lure her back to the college level? I'd think that being at the same university as her son might create a little incentive.
My sense is being the first female NBA Head Coach is an ambition more ln line with this obvious overachiever!

Shot!?! Why not drawn and quartered? :)
Seriously, I agree that Purdue is going to have to make a change. I believe that Sharon is an honorable and nice person who has led the program in an ethical manner, but the university and the kids deserve better on court results than what has transpired the past few seasons.

My sense is being the first female NBA Head Coach is an ambition more ln line with this obvious overachiever!

Fair enough, thanks for the response. I don't follow (or care about in the least) the NBA so wouldn't know her ambitions or future options in the league.

IU women's basketball has fun in rivalry victory over Purdue.
Not a problem! We are in the top ten in attendance for NCAA Women's Basketball. :(
You don't really believe that, do you. The attendance numbers released are ridiculous--completely bogus, apparently because of a way of counting students who are not there.

Fair enough, thanks for the response. I don't follow (or care about in the least) the NBA so wouldn't know her ambitions or future options in the league.

Neither does he. 100% speculation.

You don't really believe that, do you. The attendance numbers released are ridiculous--completely bogus, apparently because of a way of counting students who are not there.

They are being counted the way it has always been counted so if people want to sit here and bemoan the days when attendance was whatever number it was, realize it was inflated then too and probably will always be inflated.

They are being counted the way it has always been counted so if people want to sit here and bemoan the days when attendance was whatever number it was, realize it was inflated then too and probably will always be inflated.
Amen to that, brother. People seem to be unable to grasp. But certainly seeing the Nebraska crowds is humbling. But then looking at the Northwestern or MSU turnouts makes me feel better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT