ADVERTISEMENT

IU fans...

Why do we have "mental health issues"? What are "mental health issues"?
Typically, it's anxiety. Politicians, marketers, and news organizations understand that fear is a tremendous driving force to manipulate the masses. And the fear-mongering is 24/7. Anxiety can be crippling, and people who aren't equipped to filter the crap bombarding them are most affected.

There are so many more things to be concerned with in education right now than cursive. I haven’t used cursive since middle school because nobody could read mine, I can’t read anybody else’s, and nobody can read anybody else’s either. I just practiced block writing. Now everybody can read my handwriting and it’s just as fast. Looking back, cursive writing was an entire class for several years in elementary school. When people put that into a curriculum, there was no need to learn how to type or learn about computers and technology. I’m sorry, but that time would have been much better served teaching kids keyboarding in the 80s and 90s.

On the other hand, my kids went through periods of their elementary school semesters where they didn’t even have science class regularly. And PE, which is more needed than ever in the era where all kids default to being video game couch potatoes, has been combined with health class where they talk as much or more about social issues than actually getting exercise and stretching.

Of all the things I spent hundreds of hours being forced to practice in school, nothing can I look back and say was more useless than cursive writing. IMO the need to teach children about new technologies is clearly critical to the success of future generations, and something must be squeezed out. Everybody in the world doesn’t need to know how to read and write cursive, just as we don’t need to learn Latin, Hebrew, or Aramaic to have access to religious texts.

You are quite off base. I said teachers are not aware of educational issues other than their own class and the state requirement. Few have researched it and know anything other than what Ed skool or the building principal...same for most supts tell them. In my family and extended family I can quickly count 8 people from teacher to AD to principal to board member. Nobody is saying the problems are just teachers.

The topic was about homeschooling. My daughter is doing it by herself right now. The public schools around Frederick , MD were not very good. The schools they are interested in are around 18k/year. Within the homeschooling topic, I mentioned Saxon and Singapore math as well as cursive writing links and the 1989 NCTM. Most elementary teachers are usually pretty weak on math with many eliminated from their first field of study interest due to math. I don't know how you got things confused with anything I wrote that said teachers were "the" blame.

Perhaps you would like to clarify your thoughts on what I said and have a do over?

Nuff said.

My wife and I are both educators by trade. We homeschool. We use a classical education approach as we believe it yields the most success.

There are varying schools of thought. I would say that as long as you are consistent within your philosophy, you can have success.

The issue with public education is that there is no consistent philosophy. It is hodgepodge at best. In most instances it is going woke.

It is not surprise that 1,000,000 students have been removed from public education since Covid.

I suggest classical education!

The dumbing down of public education. Been going on for awhile now.
I wouldn't say that. The public high school my kids go to offers so much more than my HS did in Indiana 30 years ago. One new thing is teachers are looser with due dates and allow for retaking tests to a certain extent...not a huge fan of that. Some of it stemmed from covid. It makes it much harder to make sure kids learn the right skills for planning work and getting things done early. Too many get out of jail free cards now.

My wife and I are both educators by trade. We homeschool. We use a classical education approach as we believe it yields the most success.

There are varying schools of thought. I would say that as long as you are consistent within your philosophy, you can have success.

The issue with public education is that there is no consistent philosophy. It is hodgepodge at best. In most instances it is going woke.

It is not surprise that 1,000,000 students have been removed from public education since Covid.

I suggest classical education!
We have some good classical schools in Dallas. Liked the idea that kids don’t do 5 full days until they are in 3rd or 4th grade. We were planning to send our oldest but when COVID hit and the mask mandates, we opted for homeschool.

Reactions: tjreese
There are so many more things to be concerned with in education right now than cursive. I haven’t used cursive since middle school because nobody could read mine, I can’t read anybody else’s, and nobody can read anybody else’s either. I just practiced block writing. Now everybody can read my handwriting and it’s just as fast. Looking back, cursive writing was an entire class for several years in elementary school. When people put that into a curriculum, there was no need to learn how to type or learn about computers and technology. I’m sorry, but that time would have been much better served teaching kids keyboarding in the 80s and 90s.

On the other hand, my kids went through periods of their elementary school semesters where they didn’t even have science class regularly. And PE, which is more needed than ever in the era where all kids default to being video game couch potatoes, has been combined with health class where they talk as much or more about social issues than actually getting exercise and stretching.

Of all the things I spent hundreds of hours being forced to practice in school, nothing can I look back and say was more useless than cursive writing. IMO the need to teach children about new technologies is clearly critical to the success of future generations, and something must be squeezed out. Everybody in the world doesn’t need to know how to read and write cursive, just as we don’t need to learn Latin, Hebrew, or Aramaic to have access to religious texts.
If and I'm not saying it is since I already said I haven't spent time reviewing it, but if cursive writing "is accurately associated" with enhanced learning then you did benefit even if you didn't realize. I don't know that you did, since I don't have insight into that reported bridge.

As one that brought some computer learning into a school primarily as an attempt to provide a more individualized learning to some students...technology gets outdated quickly and many schools have found the expense of labs and such needed reduced. Pecking keys absent the Socratic method won't enhance the mind. FWIW, many decades ago when I was more fluent with numbers it was required that I learn a bit about mulitple regression, what is said, the relationships, the assumptions and the potential difference between forward stepwise and backwards stepwise. Any interested can review SAS for that. Until that time I never used the computer to work out problems. I used pencil and paper with calculator, but in Multiple Regression I had to use a computer due to the massive iterations. It gave me a whole different level of understanding of what was going on say in ANOVAs and such than those that just hit the keys .

It has been reported for years that mental health is improved with physical health and if true...like cursive writing is reported, then not only may P.E. possibly improve the phyical health, but maybe the mental health as well.

I may not be alive, but personally believe that we will see the day that many never attend school and all learning is distant learning for those able to do such. Although I see many benefits in such I also see a problem with so many minds are guided by so few sources...which should be even more obvious today. Those struggling and needing more face to face help with be in communities similar to schools we know today. There was a prof @ Temple that was pushing distant learning a few decades ago, but can't look him up since I don't recall his name ;)

Typically, it's anxiety. Politicians, marketers, and news organizations understand that fear is a tremendous driving force to manipulate the masses. And the fear-mongering is 24/7. Anxiety can be crippling, and people who aren't equipped to filter the crap bombarding them are most affected.

People need religion so badly. Faith in God, particularly Christianity, is all about the eradication of fear. Faith makes you invincible, the only obstacle is yourself. Its an incredible thing buy it has to be taught to the kids.

I am going to hold off on posting the Doyle tweets about IU being back this year. I’ll see how the next few games go before doing that.

I am going to hold off on posting the Doyle tweets about IU being back this year. I’ll see how the next few games go before doing that.
tenor.gif

Schools need to teach typing instead of cursive. It was one of the more useful courses I took in high school...

People need religion so badly. Faith in God, particularly Christianity, is all about the eradication of fear. Faith makes you invincible, the only obstacle is yourself. Its an incredible thing buy it has to be taught to the kids.
Home, home school, private school and churches are essentially the only places it will be taught.I think is more than eradication of fear , but understand your reasoning for saying that…referencing fear and obstacle. There is more of a stigma held towards it today than years ago

Over on the IU free board, the meltdown continues with several drama queens loudly announcing that IU will not win another game, and they are “circling the drain”. Fire Woody! Who can we get to bring us back? Beilein, Matta, Shrewsberry, Stevens? There is even one winner that wants to bring back Crean. Just wow!

I do feel sorry for them. Such great hype at the start of the year, then, this? They are still a good team, just not better than maybe 8 of the 14 teams in the BIG. Right now the injury bug has bit them, and we Boilernakers are all too aware of that thing. We’ve been bit a few times too. I have no doubt that by June, the IU fan base wI’ll be posting how great IU is going to be next year. Wash, rise, repeat.

:cool:

Over on the IU free board, the meltdown continues with several drama queens loudly announcing that IU will not win another game, and they are “circling the drain”. Fire Woody! Who can we get to bring us back? Beilein, Matta, Shrewsberry, Stevens? There is even one winner that wants to bring back Crean. Just wow!

I do feel sorry for them. Such great hype at the start of the year, then, this? They are still a good team, just not better than maybe 8 of the 14 teams in the BIG. Right now the injury bug has bit them, and we Boilernakers are all too aware of that thing. We’ve been bit a few times too. I have no doubt that by June, the IU fan base wI’ll be posting how great IU is going to be next year. Wash, rise, repeat.

:cool:
I saw a tweet from an IU fan to a recruit yesterday that boldy proclaimed that IU would be the best NCAA team over the next 10 years.

I sub in one of the 5 smallest school districts in Indiana. I subbed in a 4th grade class a few weeks ago in which the teacher had won an award for integrating tech into curriculum. Her class was amazing. they ALL ran to get a book to read when we had some down time. More than ten rushed to help me get the computer connected to the overhead projecter. They all had iPads and were highly able to use them. And no cursive was ever mentioned. Keyboarding was taught in 2 and 3rd grades.

Reactions: FiveWeight
Home, home school, private school and churches are essentially the only places it will be taught.I think is more than eradication of fear , but understand your reasoning for saying that…referencing fear and obstacle. There is more of a stigma held towards it today than years ago
But is that not the way the Constitution dictates?

Reactions: DenverBoiler
It shouldn’t be an either/or. Both areas should be taught. I am involved in software engineering so I get the typing argument. I noticed in the “Finding Your Roots” show, the host always bring out older documents where the famous guest reads a section out loud about their ancestor. It’s almost always in cursive. I guess cursive may become something like a foreign language course in the future even though it is English.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I read this as WOODY won't be there next year, not Duncomb.
Unless Woody resigns, he will be back next year. To have another deep pocket alumni cough up 8 figures to buyout his contract will be a tough sell - IMO.

To clarify, I found out that this person is his grandma and not his mom. Clearly something happened with him and the staff and/or teammates to earn him exclusive bench time.

I hope that the tide is turning in light of popular cultures continued degradation.

Unless Woody resigns, he will be back next year. To have another deep pocket alumni cough up 8 figures to buyout his contract will be a tough sell - IMO.

To clarify, I found out that this person is his grandma and not his mom. Clearly something happened with him and the staff and/or teammates to earn him exclusive bench time.
I suspect what happened was that he did not magically arrive with all the basketball skills needed to play at the BIG level. Since there is minimal development available in the program, he gets relegated to the bench. Just speculating...

I suspect what happened was that he did not magically arrive with all the basketball skills needed to play at the BIG level. Since there is minimal development available in the program, he gets relegated to the bench. Just speculating...
Woody basically says that it's because Logan Duncomb has both 1) not worked hard in practice and training, and 2) has not been healthy enough to ever do so.

Nana may have a point about whether Woody and staff will ever get the job done, but Nana posting about it on social media is a bad look and is not doing young Logan any favors.

Woody basically says that it's because Logan Duncomb has both 1) not worked hard in practice and training, and 2) has not been healthy enough to ever do so.

Nana may have a point about whether Woody and staff will ever get the job done, but Nana posting about it on social media is a bad look and is not doing young Logan any favors.
I agree. But I also imagine what it took for Nana to get to the point of posting it. Maybe not enough. But maybe too much.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT