ADVERTISEMENT

Is Oregon State a must win?

My solution is to get to six wins consistently. Which gets you better players. Which gets you a good football team.

Getting smacked by big boys isn't turning you into a good football team. Reality check, our school isn't a good football program. We are a mediocre program. .500 winning average which means every once in awhile we do a little better or a little worse.

So just getting to mediocre is the current goal. You don't get there by scheduling so you struggle to find six wins.
You may think getting six wins against terrible competition makes you mediocre but it doesn't.

True story …… but I do think Walters was a terrible hire regardless of what type of coach he is. You can’t bring an inexperienced guy in without a staff like that and expect him to win. But that lies at the feet of Bobo too.
I mean you can't immediately expect him to win. If you go cheap then you are going to have to be willing to ride out bad seasons for a few years. Particularly if you do it while you have a top ten schedule two years in a row.

So either they stick with the dude (but definitely change coordinators) or start again with a willingness to pour a tremendous amount of money into both coaches and players.

Firing him to hire cheap again and being cheap about players does absolutely nothing.

You may think getting six wins against terrible competition makes you mediocre but it doesn't.
It's literally the definition of mediocre which I'm fine with because mediocre is near apex for this program historically.

Wasn't Brohm one of the top 3 highest paid B10 coaches? Can't fault him for going to UL because of the personal connection and the fact that UL was going to pay whatever it took.
I don't know what he was paid but that's not what they chose post Brohm and they certainly aren't breaking the bank for football NIL.

Both Hazell and brohm were paid very well when compared to their colleagues in the BIG 10 and power 5 teams. their success did not come close to the success other coaches making similar salaries made. spending a lot of money on a coach does not always equate to success.

the way to success is by winning. While many of you posters know the difference between power 5 , division 1, and FCS, the vast majority of fans do not, and they don't care. they see a 49-0 win, and they don't care who it was against. here, have a $1 million.

something that is not talked about a lot. when Purdue makes those highlight films for recruiting and other things, do those highlight reels not include our successful plays against FCS schools ? Does the narrator say that 80 yard play was against an FCS school ? Do the announcers calling the game say we're playing an FCS school ?

Does anybody care what level of teams Purdue is playing other than about 5-6 people who post on this forum ? Sure beating tougher teams is nice, but going 6-6 is a lot better than going 4-8. if you doubt my words, go to a grocery store and ask a person at random, what they prefer... a 6-6 season, or a 4-8 seson that included 8 losses to tough teams.

It's literally the definition of mediocre which I'm fine with because mediocre is near apex for this program historically.

Medicore is a subjective term so there is no literal definition as it applies to a college football team or program. You may judge it by record but I would determine by how we compare to other power conference football programs. If we're middle of the pack, that means mediocre to me. A 6-6 record may be an indication but if you're beating all terrible teams, which you're advocating, it doesn't necessarily make you mediocre.

It always amazes me how fragile some of our fans are. Some would rather win games that mean nothing than risk losing while trying to beat comparable teams. Fortunately, the AD has never caved and we usually schedule pretty well. If we could get rid of all FCS competition that would be perfect. Indiana State is embarrassing.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
something that is not talked about a lot. when Purdue makes those highlight films for recruiting and other things, do those highlight reels not include our successful plays against FCS schools ? Does the narrator say that 80 yard play was against an FCS school ? Do the announcers calling the game say we're playing an FCS school ?
Per usual, I think you're wrong. Our big wins resonate with casual fans I know. They'll remember the Brees-to-Morales play to beat Ohio State or highlights from the Tyler Trent game. They won't remember or care about Hudson Card going 24 of 25 against Indiana State. And recruits certainly know the difference.

I mean you can't immediately expect him to win. If you go cheap then you are going to have to be willing to ride out bad seasons for a few years. Particularly if you do it while you have a top ten schedule two years in a row.

So either they stick with the dude (but definitely change coordinators) or start again with a willingness to pour a tremendous amount of money into both coaches and players.

Firing him to hire cheap again and being cheap about players does absolutely nothing.
It would be nice if Purdue was a leader and announced intentions to shut down semi-pro football through the university. Tax-payer-funded institutions of higher learning should not be in the business of minor league sports.

Both Hazell and brohm were paid very well when compared to their colleagues in the BIG 10 and power 5 teams. their success did not come close to the success other coaches making similar salaries made. spending a lot of money on a coach does not always equate to success.

the way to success is by winning. While many of you posters know the difference between power 5 , division 1, and FCS, the vast majority of fans do not, and they don't care. they see a 49-0 win, and they don't care who it was against. here, have a $1 million.

Does anybody care what level of teams Purdue is playing other than about 5-6 people who post on this forum ? Sure beating tougher teams is nice, but going 6-6 is a lot better than going 4-8. if you doubt my words, go to a grocery store and ask a person at random, what they prefer... a 6-6 season, or a 4-8 seson that included 8 losses to tough teams.
Wrong again. Hazell was 11/14 his final year in salaries and it was reported he had a horrible assistant coaching pool. He even made less than kevin Wilson at iu Brohm did receive some raises after we saw success on the field.

The way to success is NOT by winning. That’s a weird thing to say, that’s like saying the way to getting rich is making money. It’s actually the objective not the process. It’s by recruiting, player development, NIL, coaching schematics, and desire to win.

Your comment on the “vast majority” of fans not knowing the difference between FCS and FBS is arrogant and false. When we lost to Eastern Michigan in 2018 90% of adults fans sitting in that stadium knew they were not part of FBS/P5. They all knew it was an embarrassing loss. I got more crap from other fans, neighbors, colleagues etc after that loss thsn from our ND loss and they both stunk but I’d rather lose big to a good team than get an embarrassed by Eastern Michigan. That team would have lost to just about anyone. Our fans are smarter than you give them credit for.

It would be nice if Purdue was a leader and announced intentions to shut down semi-pro football through the university. Tax-payer-funded institutions of higher learning should not be in the business of minor league sports.
Good luck with that. Money talks.....

Medicore is a subjective term so there is no literal definition as it applies to a college football team or program. You may judge it by record but I would determine by how we compare to other power conference football programs. If we're middle of the pack, that means mediocre to me. A 6-6 record may be an indication but if you're beating all terrible teams, which you're advocating, it doesn't necessarily make you mediocre.

It always amazes me how fragile some of our fans are. Some would rather win games that mean nothing than risk losing while trying to beat comparable teams. Fortunately, the AD has never caved and we usually schedule pretty well. If we could get rid of all FCS competition that would be perfect. Indiana State is embarrassing.
Lol no it literally has a definition that literally means halfway to the top between great and terrible, moderate, ya know 6-6.

I didn't advocate beating all terrible teams. I'm going to add reading comprehension to what do words mean to your list.

No one is fragile bud, we just understand that you don't send a rebuilding team with a new coach into back to back top ten schedules. You start easy and work your way up, aka common sense.

Reactions: boiledmeconium
Lol no it literally has a definition that literally means halfway to the top between great and terrible, moderate, ya know 6-6.

I didn't advocate beating all terrible teams. I'm going to add reading comprehension to what do words mean to your list.

No one is fragile bud, we just understand that you don't send a rebuilding team with a new coach into back to back top ten schedules. You start easy and work your way up, aka common sense.
Mediocre sounds good right about now.

18 teams in the B1G guarantees marquee programs coming to RA every single year. We don't need to manufacture exciting match ups for a while - it's already built in.

ISU, Ball State, UCONN every single year.

Reactions: BBG
Your comment on the “vast majority” of fans not knowing the difference between FCS and FBS is arrogant and false. When we lost to Eastern Michigan in 2018 90% of adults fans sitting in that stadium knew they were not part of FBS/P5. They all knew it was an embarrassing loss. I got more crap from other fans, neighbors, colleagues etc after that loss thsn from our ND loss and they both stunk but I’d rather lose big to a good team than get an embarrassed by Eastern Michigan. That team would have lost to just about anyone. Our fans are smarter than you give them credit for.
I'm not so sure about that. You do know that FBS and P5 are not the same thing right? Eastern Michigan actually IS part of FBS.

This is the biggest truth to Purdue football
Financial commitment doesn’t always equate to results.

Look at our $ now vs Northern Illinois. Why did the team with more $ get boat raced at home? Why did the team with less money and talent win?

Money is an issue relative to our peers but it doesn’t mean we can’t be competitive. It doesn’t mean we should accept where Walters has this program.

Look at our $ now vs Northern Illinois. Why did the team with more $ get boat raced at home? Why did the team with less money and talent win?

Money is an issue relative to our peers but it doesn’t mean we can’t be competitive. It doesn’t mean we should accept where Walters has this program.
We're talking about something more than a single game upset dude. No one said the team with more money never gets upset. What are you even talking about?

I mean we were "around" .500 last season, and yeah probably will win 4 games this season.
Bobo and Burke went cheap. JUST like they don't pay for players, they don't pay for coaches.
So basically, they asked a guy with no experience to win with no money in an environment where money is everything now.

Here's the cold hard truth, if Purdue said tomorrow, we are going to put a ton of money down into NIL, we'd get top players coming here pretty easily, REGARDLESS of who the coaches were.

LIKEWISE, as long as we are Sisters of the Poor adjacent on spending, we are going to struggle recruiting great players REGARDLESS of who the coaches are.

Our path will be restricted to getting somewhat lucky with diamonds in the rough, undiscovered talent, and transfers that work out. Which is recipe for mixing in 3-4 win seasons with 6-8 wins seasons (you know, like Brohm did, the guy who had 4 win seasons and ended up 2 games over .500 here).

You're all focused on Walters, and not on the real issues, the lack of financial commitment to the program.
Didn't CRW go out and get a ton of cash for the collective and bring in SEC talent that are 4Star talent????
His players bow are obviously larger and said to be more athletic.

Amen, a team that is coached well but losses more games than they win due to lack of talent or $ is a easier team to watch and support than what we have now.
UCLA may not be a very good team,but they are loaded with large and gifted players.
IUis obviously not a great team,but they are organized and well coached and it kills me to say it.
IU went the Tiller route and it is paying off in rejuvenating that program.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
We're talking about something more than a single game upset dude. No one said the team with more money never gets upset. What are you even talking about?
lol. A single game?

When we go 2-10 this year it will be more apparent. Will you continue to ignore results and what your eyes are actually telling you?

We aren’t putting the talent we DO have in a position to be successful.

Agree that money isnt everything, but it can lure better coaches and staff.

To your point, Tedford at Fresno State earns $1550000 a year. They have a far better program than Purdue.

Reactions: pboiler18
Didn't CRW go out and get a ton of cash for the collective and bring in SEC talent that are 4Star talent????
His players bow are obviously larger and said to be more athletic.

Amen, a team that is coached well but losses more games than they win due to lack of talent or $ is a easier team to watch and support than what we have now.
UCLA may not be a very good team,but they are loaded with large and gifted players.
IUis obviously not a great team,but they are organized and well coached and it kills me to say it.
IU went the Tiller route and it is paying off in rejuvenating that program.
a ton? no. He got more than he had, but there's zero reason to believe we aren't well behind a good chunk of the conference and football in general.

lol. A single game?

When we go 2-10 this year it will be more apparent. Will you continue to ignore results and what your eyes are actually telling you?

Yawn, gonna add reading comprehension to your list of issues. The issues this team have go BEYOND the coaches. Fire em all, the same issues will be present next season in a NEW paradigm where money matters more than anything else.

Agree that money isnt everything, but it can lure better coaches and staff.

To your point, Tedford at Fresno State earns $1550000 a year. They have a far better program than Purdue.
It's not about money for coaches as much as it is about money for players.

And "great" and "terrible" are subjective terms. You may judge it by record, but record can be manpulated as you clearly advocate.

Your belief is that the players are t good enough. I’d agree that they aren’t good enough to do it on their own but there are plenty of guys on this roster who have had and can have success.

That said….Purdue will always be less talented than the blue bloods.

So what are the coaches doing with the scheme and the players to try and overcome that?

From what I saw last weekend the answer is Jack shit.

This team is talented. Last years team was talented. Neither team was talented enough however to just line straight up and blow the other team away. So to stop ourselves from the same happening, what are we doing? Again…it looks like hope and prayer are being used by fans and players alike to overcome talent deficits.

Look at Purdue’s good teams in the past. Brohm was an average recruiter but won above our average and had 2 well above average seasons.

Tillers teams absolutely started out talent disadvantaged but I’d argue 2 of Tillers best teams were with Coletto leftovers when he first got here.

I don’t dislike Walters because of his skin color or the fact that he wears a T shirt in a professional setting. I dislike him because his teams aren’t prepared, he’s a slow learner and he gives his team NOTHING to overcome talent differentials that will always exist when it’s Purdue vs the BigTen.

I’ll buy into the fact that he’s a good recruiter. I’ll admit to the fact that his roster is probably more talented now than even those last 2 Brohm teams that did so well. It seems you could give this guy $10, $20, $50million and the MO is going to still be an undisciplined team that can’t execute and doesn’t get the most out of what they have.

Yawn, gonna add reading comprehension to your list of issues. The issues this team have go BEYOND the coaches. Fire em all, the same issues will be present next season in a NEW paradigm where money matters more than anything else.
You clearly don't see the major issues with the Xs and Os.......

You clearly don't see the major issues with the Xs and Os.......
Hard to see when the defense can’t get off a block or execute a tackle properly!

The offense…easily the worst game of the Walters/Harrell era. ANY attempt at some counter or screen stuff would have done wonders!

lol. A single game?

Dear God 18, this dude is clueless......
Brhoms a horrible coach!!!

I think TSB's point was that your line of "If he can't win 6 this year, he never will" is a bit over the top. We aren't supposed to win 6 this year, specifically considering the schedule. Odds were for 4 or 4.5 depending on where you look. Now, is even 5 less likely after Saturday? Yeah of course, but 6 was going to be extremely difficult from the get-go this year, when you're looking at 4 essentially sure losses right off the bat.
Agreed, win 4or5 and be competitive in the rest of the games.....

Hard to see when the defense can’t get off a block or execute a tackle properly!

The offense…easily the worst game of the Walters/Harrell era. ANY attempt at some counter or screen stuff would have done wonders!
Absolutely,
There are ways to stop or slow down a blitzing defense...
I was shocked to see the players quit on CRW. I actually thought that his connections with his players was better than what showed up for ND.

Absolutely,
I was shocked to see the players quit on CRW. I actually thought that his connections with his players was better than what showed up for ND.
Some times the “buddy” coach/boss gets taken advantage of…

Absolutely,
Them quitting on him was the worst part of the game in a shitstorm of “bads”

I guess that is a point I am still having difficulty with. NIL sucks but we know that Alabama, ND, UM, OSU, LSU, etc., have been doing it for years. This just makes them legal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT