ADVERTISEMENT

I haven't seen a prediction thread. I am drinking the kool-aid

Fair enough. I am just not all that confident in him but will be happy to be wrong.
He’s been consistently good when given more than one year. Why wouldn’t you be confident he can do the same here?

My thoughts are the schedule is not going to get any better for the next 3 years and what you see this year will be the height of our future success.

If the BIG 10 does any additional expansion, the new teams will all be better than Purdue. The BIG 10 is not going to add SIU or Indiana State . Future BIG10 teams would include teams that are the caliber of Miami and FSU and Texas A&M and UNC and Duke.

In five years, the BIG 10 may be a 24 team super conference. With 4 divisions of 6 teams. If/when that happens, Purdue is not likely to be one of the better teams. And could face the risk of being bought out of the conference. The conference bows to the power of who has money! While not likely to happen, it could happen.

Something to think about. The BIG 10 didn’t want teams like Stanford, Arizona, Arizona st or Oregon st. They were deemed not good enough. If Stanford isn’t good enough for the big 10, who is ? Is Duke good enough? UNC? Kansas? Missouri?
No, 2025 will be much easier than 2024. And any expansion will likely take years to materialize.

Purdue is not getting bought out, we are a founding member lol.

We are capable of beating big ten teams, especially at home. Heck we even upset Ohio state at home multiple times in recent history. As long as we have Minnesota, Illinois, northwestern, indiana, Rutgers, Maryland in our conference and will be competitive with Iowa, Nebraska, wisconsin…. We will see some very competitive games and teams moving forward.

Reactions: z_one and BoilerN
Because he hasn't yet here and not all things are always equal.
Sure, but it’s been one year and the latter doesn’t really defend anything. He pretty much kept the offense status que from 2022, with far less talent and NFL players. Brought in more talent. Why wouldn’t you expect a step?

Because he hasn't yet here and not all things are always equal. Doesn't mean he won't, I've just been a Purdue football fan long enough to remember the same things being said about other coaches and it not panning out.
Kind of like how Brohm rebuilt the offense and made it fun at WKU, then did it at Purdue in year 2?

You are hopeful things will change when they changed last year. Harrell wasn’t the issue last year, yet everyone wants to tell me he was. He was getting the offense fixed last year and there is tangible evidence. Why do you have to wait when you have already seen?

So you actually have nothing. Ok I’ll stick to stats and what we saw last year.
Well no, it may have gone over your head but I explained my position already and going back and forth isn't going to change anything so I am not going to waste any more time on it.

You can think whatever you want on the OC as I sure will (which to reiterate, I mentioned I hope he does well this year) and thats fine. I am just sorry that me not following your group think has hurt your feelings. I hope you are able to recover from it.

Reactions: pboiler18
Well no, it may have gone over your head but I explained my position already and going back and forth isn't going to change anything so I am not going to waste any more time on it.

You can think whatever you want on the OC as I sure will (which to reiterate, I mentioned I hope he does well this year) and thats fine. I am just sorry that me not following your group think has hurt your feelings. I hope you are able to recover from it.
My group think. lol ok it’s more so I don’t understand your reasoning as it has either been proven wrong with the top rushing stats and OC growth through last year. And because he hasn’t at Purdue? Hasn’t what exactly? Idk. We’ve seen him have offensive success and creativity at Purdue with less than he has this year.

If you don’t want to like him regardless of stats and evidence, that’s fine, just say it. But don’t use excuses that can be disproved then get mad when I don’t agree.

then get mad when I don’t agree.
Oh pumpkin, you don't even remotely matter enough to make me "mad" over something on the internet. There is no measurement in the known universe that can show how little I care what some random person agrees with me or not. You simply are just not as important as you think you are and none of this matters that much to me.

I'll move on now so I don't keep hurting your feelings. Lord knows we don't want anymore of that if this is the tantrum you throw when someone doesn't agree with you.

It'll be okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: pboiler18
Oh pumpkin, you don't even remotely matter enough to make me "mad" over something on the internet. There is no measurement in the known universe that can show how little I care what some random person agrees with me or not. You simply are just not as important as you think you are and none of this matters that much to me.

I'll move on now so I don't keep hurting your feelings. Lord knows we don't want anymore of that if this is the tantrum you throw when someone doesn't agree with you.

It'll be okay.
Pumpkin, lol, you wish. I didn’t realize I think I’m important. News to me. You haven’t hurt the first feeling actually. I can disagree and be friends with those that disagree with me better than most. Doesn’t mean I won’t ask questions to understand where you are coming from.

I get it, you don’t like Harrell. That’s fine. It’s all you had to say up front tbh. I do love that you inflated your ego by acting like I’m hurt, insulted, upset, and ya though. Kind of funny. Beats me how you can gather tone through the internet. Oh wait, you just perceived it to fit your agenda you are now pushing on me. lol

That’s fine. It’s all you had to say up front tbh.
Beer Ok GIF by Busch

Last edited:
My thoughts are the schedule is not going to get any better for the next 3 years and what you see this year will be the height of our future success.

If the BIG 10 does any additional expansion, the new teams will all be better than Purdue. The BIG 10 is not going to add SIU or Indiana State . Future BIG10 teams would include teams that are the caliber of Miami and FSU and Texas A&M and UNC and Duke.

In five years, the BIG 10 may be a 24 team super conference. With 4 divisions of 6 teams. If/when that happens, Purdue is not likely to be one of the better teams. And could face the risk of being bought out of the conference. The conference bows to the power of who has money! While not likely to happen, it could happen.

Something to think about. The BIG 10 didn’t want teams like Stanford, Arizona, Arizona st or Oregon st. They were deemed not good enough. If Stanford isn’t good enough for the big 10, who is ? Is Duke good enough? UNC? Kansas? Missouri?
This is foolish. Purdue is very competitive in the conference, even if basketball is not factored in. Purdue being ushered out is not only not likely, but cannot happen.

Where are you getting your facts of "not good enough"?

Is Card going to be our starting QB in 2025? If not, do you believe our team will be better and win more games than 2024? I believe we are going to plateau at 5 wins for the next 5 years.

There will come a day when fans will become estactic about winning 6 games. And fans will accept and rejoice over mediocrity! And the coach who has a .500 record. Will go into the boilermaker hall of fame Just for taking the boilers to the little Caesar bowl game
1. Literally the least likely outcome. Either winning more or less is much more likely over a five year period.

2. Our historical average as a program is basically .500. This program winning six games and going to any bowl half the time is literally what this program has done over it's entire history. We aren't a football school, we aren't in a football state, and we are surrounded by schools that are top ten programs in our region and the conference. So guess what bud, we're mediocre. We were just barely above mediocre even when Tiller and Brohm were here.

I would change Oregon State to a W.

People making a big deal about traveling West.
I saw the Oregon State Spring game and the roster looks depleted. A lot can happen from Spring to Fall but we should win this.

Reminds me of Virginia Tech last year, where people said we would lose because of Enter Sandman.

I would change Mich State to W. The game is at Ford Field not a full home field advantage. 1st year coach issues. Should be a good game.

My reach prediction would be a W in Madison. The curse did not help when we lost to Ohio St last year. The curse does not mean much to CRW
I think we will be more physical this time in the lines.
And our Rush Ends should rattle TVD.
At least this will not be a slam dunk game that Wisconsin football fans think it will be.
If you happen to live out there I know a group of Purdue people that may have a ticket if I'm unable to go...which appears to be the case today. One is an ex football player who had four other brothers that played for Purdue from New Castle. If interested, PM me as my decision may be made in a couple of weeks...

I think I am going to up my hopes to 7. There seems to be some pretty good news on WR, OL, and DB improvement. What flavors are available in kool-aid these days, and do they mix well with vodka?

I think I am going to up my hopes to 7. There seems to be some pretty good news on WR, OL, and DB improvement. What flavors are available in kool-aid these days, and do they mix well with vodka?
If Purdue can upset one of ND, PSU, or Oregon, then I could get behind 7. I’m looking hard at ND.

I will say we show improvement with:

vs ISU (W)
bye (T)
vs ND (W) This will be our upset game
@ OSU (L)
vs Neb (W)
@ Wisc (L) The curse remains in force
@ Ill (W)
vs Oregon (L)
vs Northwestern (W)
@ OSU (L)
vs PSU (L)
@ MSU (L)
@ IU (W)

6-6 with an easy path to 5-7 (ND) or a flip with ND and MSU.
It’s tough to handicap. Purdue got better than it’s been on the offensive line in a few, BUT probably spent near the fewest dollars in the league.

They do a blue chip score that tells you by recruiting which teams could win the national title in most years. Purdue plays 4 of those 16 teams. Oregon, Ohio state, Penn state, Notre dame. Book those as losses unless the improbably happens (and to be fair, in west Lafayette it often does).

Book Indiana state as a definite win. Book the following as games where Purdue has enough to win if it plays a good game

Oregon State
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern
Nebraska
Michigan state

So, anywhere from 1-11 to 7-5?

At a much more competitive 4-8 I’ll be a little irritated but understand.

At 5-7 I’ll say “hey, Walters is showing a little progress.”

At 6-6 I’ll ask whether the 98 team does better against this slate and be satisfied. At 7-5 or better I’ll go back to being as optimistic about this staff as I was last year.

If someone gave me a million dollars to bet on an exact scenario, I’d say that the team will look like a 7-5 team at times, but also look rough at times early on. After the ups, the downs and the bounces, they’ll be a 5-7 team that many people will say looked better than they thought. Would I be shocked if they were 7-5? No.

Reactions: wallyboiler79
If Purdue can upset one of ND, PSU, or Oregon, then I could get behind 7. I’m looking hard at ND.
I would love to beat ND, they are a different team outside of south bend and of those 3 that’s our best chance. But those are 3 of the top 7 teams in the country. We play 4 of the top 8. I think we have a better chance at Wisconsin, Nebraska at Lincoln, and at sparty and getting those roadies than beating ND at home.

I would love to beat ND, they are a different team outside of south bend and of those 3 that’s our best chance. But those are 3 of the top 7 teams in the country. We play 4 of the top 8. I think we have a better chance at Wisconsin, Nebraska at Lincoln, and at sparty and getting those roadies than beating ND at home.
Purdue plays Nebraska at home. Purdue wouldn’t beat Nebraska in Lincoln this year imo. Gets them at a good time though.

I’ll also say it. They are top 7 teams on projections and nothing more.

Purdue plays Nebraska at home. Purdue wouldn’t beat Nebraska in Lincoln this year imo. Gets them at a good time though.

I’ll also say it. They are top 7 teams on projections and nothing more.
Notre dame may have a QB problem. The transfer was horrible after his injury last year with duke. But they have a very good defense. If our defense can make some big plays I’d say we have a chance.

Reactions: BoilerN
Notre dame may have a QB problem. The transfer was horrible after his injury last year with duke. But they have a very good defense. If our defense can make some big plays I’d say we have a chance.

Like IU, they lost their starting Offensive Tackle with season ending injury. Could be vulnerable there.
They fired their WR coach. Almost all of their WR room transferred out. Brought in a lot of transfer WR. I think their #1 WR is from Florida International??

QB Leonard. I hear more about his running ability than throwing ability.
New OC came from LSU. Had success with Jayden Daniels and Nabors. Purdue seen his offense at the 2022 bowl game.

Al Golden defense is really good. Had difficulty with the 2023 Clemson Air Raid offense.

I expect them to lean on their defense and conservative on Offense.

Texas A&M game will show us a lot about this team. Will see how Scourton handles the ND left tackle.

play nd after a way too early Bye week

Yeah that bye week is kinda goofy .. would much rather have it at least mid season.
Walter’s said the same until about 2 weeks ago. Then he called it a blessing. I like it from the stand point of they have all offseason and a scrimmage to prepare for ND.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
The national media made their predictions for this team. Our beat writers made their predictions for this team. We have made our predictions for this team.

All locked in. The season starts this Saturday.

Some of our opponents might be like week 0 Florida State. And some opponents might be like 2023 Northwestern Wildcats.

Consensus is that the 2024 Purdue roster has improved from the 2023 roster.

We will see soon enough.

Reactions: goboilers2
It’s tough to handicap. Purdue got better than it’s been on the offensive line in a few, BUT probably spent near the fewest dollars in the league.

They do a blue chip score that tells you by recruiting which teams could win the national title in most years. Purdue plays 4 of those 16 teams. Oregon, Ohio state, Penn state, Notre dame. Book those as losses unless the improbably happens (and to be fair, in west Lafayette it often does).

Book Indiana state as a definite win. Book the following as games where Purdue has enough to win if it plays a good game

Oregon State
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern
Nebraska
Michigan state

So, anywhere from 1-11 to 7-5?

At a much more competitive 4-8 I’ll be a little irritated but understand.

At 5-7 I’ll say “hey, Walters is showing a little progress.”

At 6-6 I’ll ask whether the 98 team does better against this slate and be satisfied. At 7-5 or better I’ll go back to being as optimistic about this staff as I was last year.

If someone gave me a million dollars to bet on an exact scenario, I’d say that the team will look like a 7-5 team at times, but also look rough at times early on. After the ups, the downs and the bounces, they’ll be a 5-7 team that many people will say looked better than they thought. Would I be shocked if they were 7-5? No.
I would be. 7-5 would be amazing.

I would be. 7-5 would be amazing.
To me a 7-5 scenario would be where purdue has things come together early to have a solid identity, they play just a bit better than their close competition in the in between games, they get the bounces and other teams have some issues.

My money is on a competitive 5-7

I will say we show improvement with:

vs ISU (W)
bye (T)
vs ND (W) This will be our upset game
@ OSU (L)
vs Neb (W)
@ Wisc (L) The curse remains in force
@ Ill (W)
vs Oregon (L)
vs Northwestern (W)
@ OSU (L)
vs PSU (L)
@ MSU (L)
@ IU (W)

6-6 with an easy path to 5-7 (ND) or a flip with ND and MSU.
Yes, beware Oregon State. In 1967, Oregon St came to # 1 ranked Purdue after the Boilers were 4-0 beating Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Northwestern and Ohio State (41-6 at Columbus, Woody Hayes' worst home loss in his career.) Oregon State had a HUGE fullback nicknamed "Earthquake" Enyard and we could not stop that guy. We lost 22-14.

To me a 7-5 scenario would be where purdue has things come together early to have a solid identity, they play just a bit better than their close competition in the in between games, they get the bounces and other teams have some issues.

My money is on a competitive 5-7
Ya. I think 5-6 with an opportunity to win 7-8 next year.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
vs ISU (W)
bye
vs ND (L)
@ OSU (W)
vs Neb (W)
@ Wisc (L)
@ Ill (W)
vs Oregon (L)
vs Northwestern (W)
@ OSU (L)
vs PSU (L)
@ MSU (W)
@ IU (W)

I'll go 7-5. Flipped ND and Oregon St. Also flipped MSU to a win.

With a makeshift oline and poor WR play. People get stuck on those early games where he tried to play some power football at the goal line, but refuse to acknowledge he adjusted as the year went on.

It wasn't just the beginning of the year though with some dumb play calling. Those up the gut runs and nothing but shotgun formation went on the entire year.

Harrell had multiple head scratchers last year. Boilers did have two above average RBs last year with Mock and Tracy; so combined with Card being banged up, and crappy WR play does also possibly explain high rushing numbers last year.

I'm a bit optimistic though and definitely eager to see what the OC can dial up in year 2. Off to a nice start.

Reactions: Bippus33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT