ADVERTISEMENT

Is it all about money?

dayhr11

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
Evidently, there are many athletes entering the football portal. I have a question. Is this primarily about getting NIL money, or are other factors more important? I simply don’t know. In other words is our new coach going to have to pony up to get these portal athletes or will they come to Purdue because they want to come to Purdue?

Evidently, there are many athletes entering the football portal. I have a question. Is this primarily about getting NIL money, or are other factors more important? I simply don’t know. In other words is our new coach going to have to pony up to get these portal athletes or will they come to Purdue because they want to come to Purdue?
A few will get huge deals and get rich.

The vast majority will get good spending money when they realize they won't get rich.

The NIL money comes from boosters not the school. I can’t see this changing at Purdue any time soon.

When I look at the portal transfers, I see that WR Carr who left Purdue. He wasn’t an immediate star as a freshman like Rondale was and he got beat out in spring practice by somebody with fewer stars and hype. So he realized he wasn’t going to star as a sophomore either. So he left in hopes of becoming a star for msu. He didn’t want to be a te, so he left.

I’m reminded of Haarms and Stephens. They both realized they were not going to be the star featured player at Purdue. So they left. They were ok at their next school, but still never lived up to their dreams.

To me a player that enters the portal is thinking more about his personal gaming/benefits than the team. And sometimes he has received the coach talk.

A look at our recent two defensive linemen that just decommited. Several of them committed before Gilbert did. We also received commitments from more players at that position than we needed. They saw the writing on the wall.

I look at the Michigan QB who left and transferred to Iowa. Why did he leave Michigan? He was beaten out by a younger player and didn’t want to return as a bench player for Michigan. Iowa got a nice experienced QB. But his motives for transferring seem rather selfish and me oriented.

Imagine an Engineering student Taking a thermo dynamics class at another school and transferring in the credits because he didn’t want to get a C on his GPA at Purdue! I got an A in my physics class at Weber St. and Purdue accepted it. It was totally legal. I played the system. How was I to know Weber St physic classes were all pud?

Rule of thumb: if they were starters, they’re looking for a pay raise. If not, might just be looking for PT.

Can't find a link, but the IU board had a stat on how many guys who enter the portal who never play again. It's pretty high. Just MHO but if that keeps up, coupled with diminishing returns on the paid players, you'll see it start to drop off.

Reactions: pboiler18
The NIL money comes from boosters not the school. I can’t see this changing at Purdue any time soon.

When I look at the portal transfers, I see that WR Carr who left Purdue. He wasn’t an immediate star as a freshman like Rondale was and he got beat out in spring practice by somebody with fewer stars and hype. So he realized he wasn’t going to star as a sophomore either. So he left in hopes of becoming a star for msu. He didn’t want to be a te, so he left.

I’m reminded of Haarms and Stephens. They both realized they were not going to be the star featured player at Purdue. So they left. They were ok at their next school, but still never lived up to their dreams.

To me a player that enters the portal is thinking more about his personal gaming/benefits than the team. And sometimes he has received the coach talk.

A look at our recent two defensive linemen that just decommited. Several of them committed before Gilbert did. We also received commitments from more players at that position than we needed. They saw the writing on the wall.

I look at the Michigan QB who left and transferred to Iowa. Why did he leave Michigan? He was beaten out by a younger player and didn’t want to return as a bench player for Michigan. Iowa got a nice experienced QB. But his motives for transferring seem rather selfish and me oriented.

Imagine an Engineering student Taking a thermo dynamics class at another school and transferring in the credits because he didn’t want to get a C on his GPA at Purdue! I got an A in my physics class at Weber St. and Purdue accepted it. It was totally legal. I played the system. How was I to know Weber St physic classes were all pud?
It's simple, if you're a division one player that losses the competition for a starting position you can either sit on the bench the rest of your career/foreseeable future or attempt to transfer to get playing time.

That applies even to players that don't have professional aspirations and just want the playing time.
For those that have professional aspirations they basically need to transfer get the playing time necessary to go pro.

Of course many of them are somewhat delusional at their chances.

I don't really buy that anyone that transfers is "me oriented."
If they were just sitting on the bench having them transfer doesn't really hurt the team that much. They'll make a bigger impact (ideally) on the the team they transfer to.

Can't compare the engineering student transferring because they're attempting to take an easier class but have the same degree as others that passed.

Can't find a link, but the IU board had a stat on how many guys who enter the portal who never play again. It's pretty high. Just MHO but if that keeps up, coupled with diminishing returns on the paid players, you'll see it start to drop off.
Yeah but that stat is sort of BS. That number includes walkons and players buried at the end of a bench of mid major schools you’ve never heard of. If a 4th string LB from Grambling enters the portal and doesn’t find a home that’s not exactly going to convince Power 5 players to transfer

Let me check here.......

jack-nicholson-yes.gif

him-gaffigan.gif

But doesn't this drive parity in college football?
Is it really better for talented players to sit on the Alabama bench instead of playing for another team that could use them?

I agree. I don't have much of an issue with the portal in regards to giving players who don't hit the field more playing time elsewhere. My issue is the guy who's starting, like Holstege, leaving for a paycheck.

The NCAA has got to put some kind of cap on NIL deals. It's completely out of hand...

I agree. I don't have much of an issue with the portal in regards to giving players who don't hit the field more playing time elsewhere. My issue is the guy who's starting, like Holstege, leaving for a paycheck.

The NCAA has got to put some kind of cap on NIL deals. It's completely out of hand...
Cohen started 25 games and was 2nd team ALL-SEC. He essentially signed a free agent deal with Ruiz/Miami.

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT