ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Learn & Ainhoa Holzer No Longer With The Purdue Women’s Basketball Program

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Some breaking news about the future of Purdue women’s basketball. Forward Ava Learn and guard Ainhoa Holzer are both no longer with the program, a source confirmed to Boiler Upload.

Learn will be entering the NCAA Transfer Portal after two seasons in West Lafayette.

The status of Holzer is uncertain at this time. The Swiss guard could return home or enter the transfer portal as well, but her plans have not been disclosed yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocRon
Sad to see them go but that opens the door for both Mila and Amiyah who both play very similar positions to Holzer and Learn. Kinda find it weird that they both entered the portal so late.

Just read an article about Amiyah - her dad said her foot injury would take a year to come back from so she’d be redshirting this upcoming season. So that means we could take Amiyah and another experienced PG along with Mila and a post (Parks/Harper). That would leave us with 14 on scholarship but Amiyah and potentially Swanson both redshirting due to injury. 12 active which I think is a good number.

Sad to see them go but that opens the door for both Mila and Amiyah who both play very similar positions to Holzer and Learn. Kinda find it weird that they both entered the portal so late.
It could have some parallel with the recent coaching changes. They may have had some bonds with the exiting ones, and now their fit may be less appealing. It is so easy for kids to leave for any reason any more since they can play right away at the next school.

Reactions: RBryant311
It could have some parallel with the recent coaching changes. They may have had some bonds with the exiting ones, and now their fit may be less appealing. It is so easy for kids to leave for any reason any more since they can play right away at the next school.
Perhaps - but we have to remember that neither Learn or Holzer were KG’s recruits. Learn easily could’ve left after year 1 - but she was getting playing time (primarily due to being one of only 2 options on a post depleted team) and then in her sophomore year didn’t get a substantial increase of PT thus probably leading to her transfer. I liked Learn and her hustle/team first attitude but she was never a player that was going to take the program to the next level primarily due to her height - and not adding a strong perimeter game. Holzer initially committed to SV ALL the way back in August 2020! I had posted earlier this month about how she is an intriguing prospect due to her age and experience - and since she was still with the team heading into April I assumed KG thought she was worth a roster spot. Maybe something has changed or maybe she just wants to complete her education and go back to Switzerland and turn pro. But neither are huge losses. Easily replaceable in the portal.

Would love to see Purdue go all in on DePaul guard Darionne Rogers, she averaged 17 a game last year for the Blue Demons. Time for Purdue with a tourney bid under their belt to starting aiming high, they could use a dynamic backcourt scorer next year.

Disappointing but not surprising either. CKG needs to slow down the revolving door on talent leaving or she will find it harder and harder to recruit, JMO.

Last edited:
Disappointing but not surprising either. CKG needs to slow down the revolving door on talent leaving or she will find it harder and harder to recruit, JMO.

3 out of the 4 players that have transferred out this Spring - KG had absolutely no part in their recruiting process to Purdue - she simply inherited them from a coach you hated and thought was beyond awful (yada yada yada). But now it’s her fault for not turning water into wine and making average-ranked recruits into all stars 2 years into their playing career?? …ok. None of these players were big time recruits. The only player KG partially recruited was Potts but she was essentially left all 4 of them. Learn is the only one who showed any promise on the court. (Who knows about Holzer). No one is going to look at that and say there’s a problem with the coach. None of those players would’ve moved us up the B10 standings. KG is looking to get us to the next level. Being honest with players about their future so they can go elsewhere is something that will only help her in recruiting. It’s a completely different ballgame when it comes to recruiting/putting together a team. Both the coaches and the players know it’s a complete business now. There are places players can go and get playing time and they will, that’s not the coaches fault.

You know who KG fully recruited?? Petree, Harper, JT and Ellis. Not so bad of a transfer track record there for coach.

What coaches now need to do is play the delicate game of having enough able bodied players for depth/overcome possible injuries, but not too much. I think 12-13 active players max on the roster is a good goal. We’re not far off which easily gives us room for 2-3 more and the transfer portal is absolutely filled with impact players and KG finally has the momentum to swing (and land) them.

Maybe save that criticism for next spring as this year’s freshmen are the first incoming rookie class 100% recruited by KG

Last edited:
3 out of the 4 players that have transferred out this Spring - KG had absolutely no part in their recruiting process to Purdue - she simply inherited them from a coach you hated and thought was beyond awful (yada yada yada). But now it’s her fault for not turning water into wine and making average-ranked recruits into all stars 2 years into their playing career?? …ok. None of these players were big time recruits. The only player KG partially recruited was Potts but she was essentially left all 4 of them. Learn is the only one who showed any promise on the court. (Who knows about Holzer). No one is going to look at that and say there’s a problem with the coach. None of those players would’ve moved us up the B10 standings. KG is looking to get us to the next level. Being honest with players about their future so they can go elsewhere is something that will only help her in recruiting. It’s a completely different ballgame when it comes to recruiting/putting together a team. Both the coaches and the players know it’s a complete business now. There are places players can go and get playing time and they will, that’s not the coaches fault.

You know who KG fully recruited?? Petree, Harper, JT and Ellis. Not so bad of a transfer track record there for coach.

What coaches now need to do is play the delicate game of having enough able bodied players for depth/overcome possible injuries, but not too much. I think 12-13 active players max on the roster is a good goal. We’re not far off which easily gives us room for 2-3 more and the transfer portal is absolutely filled with impact players and KG finally has the momentum to swing (and land) them.

Maybe save that criticism for next spring as this year’s freshmen are the first incoming rookie class 100% recruited by KG
Great post, for me, the Reynolds sisters and a top of the line type of guard would be who I hope they go for. I like Terry at point, Ellis is a nice fill in for her and can be a backup to the 2 spot, would love to see a proven scorer at the 2 or 3 come aboard.

I, for one, will miss Ava Learn. She played with joy, and cheered from the bench with that same joy. She is fast, has some skills, good energy and decent bball IQ. May not have all the talent needed to help the program get to that next level, but her playing time was so limited this year it’s hard to know for sure. I have to assume she wasn’t developing in practice to CKG’s satisfaction, thus the reduced minutes.

I wish her well, and hope she lands in a place where she can shine. I’ll miss her smile and I bet her teammates will miss her enthusiasm.
As has been said - it’s a business. And I’m old school…. Hate the annual carousel.

For someone that likes saying people have a reading comprehension issue, yours is sorely lacking. All I said was CKG needs to slow down the revolving door on transfers soon or it will likely start impacting recruiting. No big criticisms, just stating my opinion that this has been a problem for years and CKG is not slowing the turnstyles yet on the players leaving with eligibility left.

You sound an awful lot like the fans that defended SV for her 12 years trying to shout down all who complained about her teams play and her treatment of the players. Did not work then or make those fans look very bright when it all came out in the wash, and it doesn't make you look good now to be so blindly loyal to a coach that still has a lot to show before she earns that kind of loyalty IMO

I agree, let's table this for a year, since you tacitly agree that if we lose 2-3 players next year to transfers that it is in fact indicative of a problem with the present coaching staff.

Fine Michael - I was trying to be subtle in letting you know you were being full of it - but let me spell it out for you because you are obviously not paying attention to what is happening with college basketball. Having 3-4 players transfer out of your program is going to be the norm for basically every coach at basically every program. More so with teams trying to move up in the landscape, and especially after a recent head coaching change. Like I was referring to in my post - but I figured your comprehension skills wouldn’t pick up. So no - these transfers are not going to effect coaches on the trail like they once have because both the players and the coaches understand the climate. WINNING. will ultimately get them players. Let’s look that the portal shall we? Ok, IU, and national coach of the year Moren have had 4 transfers. Arizona’s highly esteemed coach had 7, ISU’s successful coach had 5, Louisville’s esteemed coach had 5, Michigan - 4, Tara at Stanford has had 3. All of these coaches are extremely established and successful yet have mass players leaving. Tell me - is that going to hurt them?

You are clearly living in the past when a bunch of transfers every year was considered bad and unstable and are not understanding the current WBB climate. No matter how great the coach is - transfers are going to happen EVERY YEAR.

Transfers are part of the landscape. I think its rare for a team to not have kids go for greener pastures. If you want to judge a staff on transfers you need to look at the talent level. End of the bench or limited rotational players is expected. Losing multiple starters thats an issue.

I think a better way to frame it is for all the transfers the last two years CKG gave all these kids a shot. She could have dumped learn last year and passed on all their CSV signees but she gave them a chance. Honestly out of the transfers from the last two years were anymore them of a big ten championship caliber? No.

I agree, let's table this for a year, since you tacitly agree that if we lose 2-3 players next year to transfers that it is in fact indicative of a problem with the present coaching staff.

Again with the comprehension - I said YOU should table it as YOUR argument would become a little more valid because the players leaving the program would be 100% hers and not SV’s holdovers. Sure if 3-4 players from this upcoming freshmen class transfer out after a year I’m not going to feel great about it because I’d hope they would stick it out for at least 2 years - but my stance is clearly set on transfers are the new norm and good, healthy programs are going to see many years of having multiple transfers especially as rosters accustom itself to the post-Covid scholarship mess. But as of right now we only have 1 player, Layden, who will be eligible to use her Covid year so we are thankfully getting on the other side if it - which will only give more opportunity for incoming freshmen and rising sophomore to grow with programs - hopefully leading to perhaps fewer transfers.

I feel good about saying that if JT, Ellis and Harper not returned for their Covid years there’s a very good chance both Potts and Learn would still be with the program. But players don’t want to waste another year of their 4 available playing behind 5 and 6 year players - and I don’t blame them 1 bit. And you’re seeing that trend around the entire nation.

Last edited:
Again with the comprehension - I said YOU should table it as YOUR argument would become a little more valid because the players leaving the program would be 100% hers and not SV’s holdovers. Sure if 3-4 players from this upcoming freshmen class transfer out after a year I’m not going to feel great about it because I’d hope they would stick it out for at least 2 years - but my stance is clearly set on transfers are the new norm and good, healthy programs are going to see many years of having multiple transfers especially as rosters accustom itself to the post-Covid scholarship mess. But as of right now we only have 1 player, Layden, who will be eligible to use her Covid year so we are thankfully getting on the other side if it - which will only give more opportunity for incoming freshmen and rising sophomore to grow with programs - hopefully leading to perhaps fewer transfers.

I feel good about saying that if JT, Ellis and Harper not returned for their Covid years there’s a very good chance both Potts and Learn would still be with the program. But players don’t want to waste another year of their 4 available playing behind 5 and 6 year players - and I don’t blame them 1 bit. And you’re seeing that trend around the entire nation.
After the Covid extra years end next season, I would like to see one rule change, once you enter a program you have to stay at least two years or sit out if you transfer after year 1. One can still leave, however, a player must sit out the upcoming year if they do.

Transfers are part of the landscape. I think its rare for a team to not have kids go for greener pastures. If you want to judge a staff on transfers you need to look at the talent level. End of the bench or limited rotational players is expected. Losing multiple starters thats an issue.

I think a better way to frame it is for all the transfers the last two years CKG gave all these kids a shot. She could have dumped learn last year and passed on all their CSV signees but she gave them a chance. Honestly out of the transfers from the last two years were anymore them of a big ten championship caliber? No.

You can make the argument, for established and accomplished coaches, that even losing multiple starters isn’t really a huge deal anymore. Everyone was saying last spring how Frese was in deep trouble after Reese and Owusu left - calling their program in shambles. What did she do this year? Win 28 games, get it the elite 8 and had 2 first round draft picks. Her program has never been hotter.

Obviously KG is not there yet to recover from that but some coaches are and they brush off transfers knowing they can get similar if not better talent in the portal. And they can.

You can make the argument, for established and accomplished coaches, that even losing multiple starters isn’t really a huge deal anymore. Everyone was saying last spring how Frese was in deep trouble after Reese and Owusu left - calling their program in shambles. What did she do this year? Win 28 games, get it the elite 8 and had 2 first round draft picks. Her program has never been hotter.

Obviously KG is not there yet to recover from that but some coaches are and they brush off transfers knowing they can get similar if not better talent in the portal. And they can.
Purdue needs to aim high right now, new Coaches, tourney bid last year, some good returnees etc. There’s no reason that they shouldn’t be able to get a really good/starter level transfer or 2. If that means players like Layden, Harper, Ellis have to come off the bench so be it. Right now the lineup is probably, Terry, Ellis, Layden, Smith, Harper…one or two of these would be fine being key players off the bench.

Purdue needs to aim high right now, new Coaches, tourney bid last year, some good returnees etc. There’s no reason that they shouldn’t be able to get a really good/starter level transfer or 2. If that means players like Layden, Harper, Ellis have to come off the bench so be it. Right now the lineup is probably, Terry, Ellis, Layden, Smith, Harper…one or two of these would be fine being key players off the bench.

Unfortunately almost every HC at every major program is looking for that exact same thing right now. While KG has good momentum on her side a WNIT appearance and First 4 NCAA tournament loss - isn’t going to do a lot to differentiate herself from a lot of these other, way more accomplished coaches.

But she has added great pieces the last two years so there’s no reason not to expect another JT, Ellis or Petree coming aboard. But a 1st team all big ten performer? Gonna be really tough.

My wish list includes a dependable go-to underneath scorer. We had players who had good scoring games but not consistently. I don't think we can depend on Freshmen coming in to fill our needs. That said, I think proven transfers will like that they can get a lot of minutes here. Plus we are a team that has potential to keep trending up.

Unfortunately almost every HC at every major program is looking for that exact same thing right now. While KG has good momentum on her side a WNIT appearance and First 4 NCAA tournament loss - isn’t going to do a lot to differentiate herself from a lot of these other, way more accomplished coaches.

But she has added great pieces the last two years so there’s no reason not to expect another JT, Ellis or Petree coming aboard. But a 1st team all big ten performer? Gonna be really tough.
Agreed, still aim high though, they don’t come they don’t come, time to be a player. Like I posted, I would go hard for 2-3 player Darionne Rogers of DePaul, she averaged 17 a game last year. She’s not on Morrow’s level so maybe being from the Chicagoland area she would see the proximity of Purdue as a plus. From day 1 if a player of her caliber commits they’re likely top dog.

Ok, so essentially 3 transfers from the 3 players who got the least amount of PT - that is normal.
Yes…Potts probably sticks around without the Covid extra year stuff. My guess is Purdue adds 3 players, thoughts Dub? Also, you hearing any names?

Lol….of course. First you were afraid she was a nobody outside of Purdue fans and no one would want to play or work for her and now that she has her staff and is recruiting who she wants for players ”no one wants to stay and play for her”… Maybe the girls that are leaving think they won’t be able to compete for playing time or maybe they think think CKG and staff are all ogres but considering after playing for Katie for a single year we had players putting off their Med School after already being admitted makes that somewhat doubtful. Not to mention just being installed on Marion’s Wall of Fame…JMO but give the woman a break and if she ends up failing you can tell us all “I told you so”.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Lol….of course. First you were afraid she was a nobody outside of Purdue fans and no one would want to play or work for her and now that she has her staff and is recruiting who she wants for players ”no one wants to stay and play for her”… Maybe the girls that are leaving think they won’t be able to compete for playing time or maybe they think think CKG and staff are all ogres but considering after playing for Katie for a single year we had players putting off their Med School after already being admitted makes that somewhat doubtful. Not to mention just being installed on Marion’s Wall of Fame…JMO but give the woman a break and if she ends up failing you can tell us all “I told you so”.

I am giving her a break, but what you want is a coronation. Sharon Versyp looked like an awesome coach her first three years, so much so that she brainwashed many fans into believing she just needed more time. 15 years later and the program was in much worse shape than when she came in. Now we are seeing the same cult of personality forming around KG with a lot less reason to show for it and "Purdue fans" already proclaiming she will be great. Its more than premature, its foolish considering what we went through with the last coach and how much it took to finally convince an AD that no longer cares about WBB to do something about her. Give her three more years and see how it turns out. That doesn't mean you cannot laud her successes, but don't try and whitewash the areas of concern either or else you will look just as foolish as the SV fans do in hindsight after 14 years of them proclaiming her the best coach Purdue could ever get.

I am giving her a break, but what you want is a coronation. Sharon Versyp looked like an awesome coach her first three years, so much so that she brainwashed many fans into believing she just needed more time. 15 years later and the program was in much worse shape than when she came in. Now we are seeing the same cult of personality forming around KG with a lot less reason to show for it and "Purdue fans" already proclaiming she will be great. Its more than premature, its foolish considering what we went through with the last coach and how much it took to finally convince an AD that no longer cares about WBB to do something about her. Give her three more years and see how it turns out. That doesn't mean you cannot laud her successes, but don't try and whitewash the areas of concern either or else you will look just as foolish as the SV fans do in hindsight after 14 years of them proclaiming her the best coach Purdue could ever get.
If you really think you are giving her a break to see how she is going to do then so be it. However, I am sure I remember you saying she wasn’t good enough to have her number hanging in the rafters etc etc etc…Or that no decent assistants would want to work for her etc etc etc ….For all of Purdue’s sake I sincerely do hope you want her to succeed…You will find the world a much more pleasant place to live if the glass is half full. Boiler Up!

To sum things up MIchaelRR--you are somewhat of an ass. You are one of many people who just enjoy trying to rile people up to elicite a response. GIve Katie some time before pronouncing your unique and ultimate wisdom

Reactions: BoilerRingside
If you really think you are giving her a break to see how she is going to do then so be it. However, I am sure I remember you saying she wasn’t good enough to have her number hanging in the rafters etc etc etc…Or that no decent assistants would want to work for her etc etc etc ….For all of Purdue’s sake I sincerely do hope you want her to succeed…You will find the world a much more pleasant place to live if the glass is half full. Boiler Up!
Of all the players with a number in the rafters, only ONE was not a first team All American, which is or was the stated criteria for such an honor.

On the assistants I stated she had few to no outside connections to make hires, and so far that has proven true, of 5 hires, 2 from Marian, 2 Purdue legacies. Only the coach from Toledo is someone that required reaching more than across the table for.

There is a difference between being an optimist and being willfully blind to any possible issues that may arise. You fail to grasp the difference. This is a discussion board, we give our views on the team, coaches, good things AND bad. Unfortunately most of the knowledgeable posters have long since quit posting because they are shouted down by those who only want this to be a cheerleader board as being pessimists or worse, wanting the team to fail.

• Haha
Of all the players with a number in the rafters, only ONE was not a first team All American, which is or was the stated criteria for such an honor.

On the assistants I stated she had few to no outside connections to make hires, and so far that has proven true, of 5 hires, 2 from Marian, 2 Purdue legacies. Only the coach from Toledo is someone that required reaching more than across the table for.

There is a difference between being an optimist and being willfully blind to any possible issues that may arise. You fail to grasp the difference. This is a discussion board, we give our views on the team, coaches, good things AND bad. Unfortunately most of the knowledgeable posters have long since quit posting because they are shouted down by those who only want this to be a cheerleader board as being pessimists or worse, wanting the team to fail.

KG took over a complete dumpster fire. We had offcourt abuse allegations swirling. Our two best players (traylor and Karissa) left, one who just helped a team to a final four appearance. We had a head coach “retire” in April 2021. We were coming off 7 wins - the talent on the roster was minimal - at best - and to make matters worse our big ten competitors were absolutely stacked - the most talent this conference has seen in YEARS. 4-5 national contenders. We were bringing in a coach who didn’t have any D1 experience - she only had a couple months to instill her coaching style. While KG absolutely won her press conference and everyone was excited to have her back. The near future of the program was absolutely looking bleak.

What did she do? She went out and got us some really good under the radar transfers. She overcame our starting post getting injured before big ten play, we were competitive all season in the big ten. Went to the NIT. And then she followed up by winning 19 games - beating or almost beating some really good teams. And getting us into the ncaa tournament during a time when the big ten was extremely competitive. The experienced talent of some of these teams is just ridiculous. And more is coming back next year. (Also USC and UCLA are absolutely loading up with elite talent). The fact that we are sitting here in just 2 short years with a head coach in her first 2 years as a D1 coach is just extremely impressive. Now I know SV had to take over the curry dumpster fire and she did it impressively winning some B10 tournament - but she had curry’s recruits - she had talent. and the big ten was a lot weaker than it was the past two years. By all accounts KG took a program with absolutely no momentum - laying dead on the tracks - to one figuring on winning 20 games and heading back to the tournament in 2 years! If you can’t be optimistic about the future you’re obviously trying not to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerRingside
KG took over a complete dumpster fire. We had offcourt abuse allegations swirling. Our two best players (traylor and Karissa) left, one who just helped a team to a final four appearance. We had a head coach “retire” in April 2021. We were coming off 7 wins - the talent on the roster was minimal - at best - and to make matters worse our big ten competitors were absolutely stacked - the most talent this conference has seen in YEARS. 4-5 national contenders. We were bringing in a coach who didn’t have any D1 experience - she only had a couple months to instill her coaching style. While KG absolutely won her press conference and everyone was excited to have her back. The near future of the program was absolutely looking bleak.

What did she do? She went out and got us some really good under the radar transfers. She overcame our starting post getting injured before big ten play, we were competitive all season in the big ten. Went to the NIT. And then she followed up by winning 19 games - beating or almost beating some really good teams. And getting us into the ncaa tournament during a time when the big ten was extremely competitive. The experienced talent of some of these teams is just ridiculous. And more is coming back next year. The fact that we are sitting here in just 2 short years with a head coach in her first 2 years as a D1 coach is just extremely impressive. Now I know SV had to take over the curry dumpster fire and she did it impressively winning some B10 tournament - but she had curry’s recruits - she had talent. and the big ten was a lot weaker than it was the past two years. By all accounts KG took a program with absolutely no momentum - laying dead on the tracks - to one figuring on winning 20 games and heading back to the tournament in 2 years! If you can’t be optimistic about the future you’re obviously trying not to be.

I am cautiously optimistic, but as much good as has been done, there are still some cracks in the foundation that need addressing IMO. That is why I say you have to wait five years to truly judge a new hire. Ellis and Terry were incredible finds, and are the motor that turned this team around. Were they SV recruits or KG? No one will ever know for sure but I have no issue giving KG credit for them if you want.

Yeah - the biggest “crack” is lack of talent and depth. That’s what KG is actively trying to fix by replacing average talent with better talent. She has added 4 top 60 talents and has added to a top 21 recruiting class - and is in amazing position with a top 15 level post player in Kira Reynolds.

But you see the act of getting better talent to win more games as a “crack” somehow. You’re completely delusional.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT