ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting video about our defense

I’m by far not a coach. Anyone with coaching knowledge have a comment?
I didn’t like his tone, especially calling a successful D1 coach what he did, but some of the comments are fair, especially in situations where there were <4 seconds left.

However, what most people see in basketball is athleticism. Purdue goes after skill. So the defense plays the odds since they can’t match up athletically. Purdue’s defense is predicated on having teams (or certain players) shoot lower % shots. “Playing the odds”. It works a heck of a lot, but it’s not flawless.

Up by 3 in regulation and OT and give up close high % shots (to guard the 3) is a bit of a gut punch too. I’m not thrilled with our end of game strategy, it feels to me like “prevent defense” in football.

I also am not thrilled when Purdue is forced to throw it in, but at least Zach is now an option to throw to vs across the court.

Three concerns that have caught my attention lately, energy levels, defensive rebounding and connectedness in defense. Teams are realizing that by distracting Edey by using his man to screen or playing a guy who can shoot 3’s against Edey, there’s a Purdue vulnerability. IE get Edey away from the basket and feast on easy baskets and offensive rebounds.

We may “overperform” based on meaningless star rankings that are handed out before the kids play a single college game.

To act like Purdue is devoid of plain talent with two All Big ten players and the national player of the year is disingenuous.

Winning the Big Ten this year was expected due to said talent. Not some amazing coaching. Losing last year to one of the worst teams that existed at the D1 level was underachieving on a level that may never be seen again.

You don’t win this many games while devoid of talent. Or even having less talent than most teams in your league.

Painter is good at striking gold at a higher clip on under the radar players more than most coaches. That doesn’t mean his coaching outweighs the actual talent that comes in
As others state, it isn’t that Purdue lacks talent. It’s that Purdue’s talent presents challenges in that the center is far more effective near the basket than in space (though he can guard in space when he has to) and that the rest of the team, for the most part, was recruited for its skill over its length and athleticism.

I didn’t like his tone, especially calling a successful D1 coach what he did, but some of the comments are fair, especially in situations where there were <4 seconds left.

However, what most people see in basketball is athleticism. Purdue goes after skill. So the defense plays the odds since they can’t match up athletically. Purdue’s defense is predicated on having teams (or certain players) shoot lower % shots. “Playing the odds”. It works a heck of a lot, but it’s not flawless.

Up by 3 in regulation and OT and give up close high % shots (to guard the 3) is a bit of a gut punch too. I’m not thrilled with our end of game strategy, it feels to me like “prevent defense” in football.

I also am not thrilled when Purdue is forced to throw it in, but at least Zach is now an option to throw to vs across the court.

Three concerns that have caught my attention lately, energy levels, defensive rebounding and connectedness in defense. Teams are realizing that by distracting Edey by using his man to screen or playing a guy who can shoot 3’s against Edey, there’s a Purdue vulnerability. IE get Edey away from the basket and feast on easy baskets and offensive rebounds.
Defensive rebounding / getting loose balls on the defensive end, have seemingly not been as good in recent games. I have screamed, “Get the d@mn rebound” at the tv a lot lately.

Defensive rebounding / getting loose balls on the defensive end, have seemingly not been as good in recent games. I have screamed, “Get the d@mn rebound” at the tv a lot lately.
I would add poor passing, but that may be a problem with overall connectedness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT