ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting stat from the J&C

threeeputtt

All-American
Sep 3, 2007
New Braunfels, TX
"
Purdue could point to plenty of reasons why it fell to 1-18 against top five opponents under coach Matt Painter.

Start with the 3-for-25 performance from 3-point range — part bad luck, part poor decisions. Maryland's Robert Carter went 4-for-6 from behind the arc, sparking the Terrapins early and triggering a game-deciding run with his last one in the second half."

The game was there for the taking. The defense did what it needed to do to win.

Two stretches we made bad decisions.

The five minute stretch when we held them scoreless. Several bad choices leading to turnovers and wasted opportunities to stretch the lead.

The stretch after we forced them to call a timeout by going up 3. AJ had made the previous two baskets and then we came out shooting bad shots and trying to force the post pass late.

One has to wonder if it is ever going to click for these guys and whether they break through in ones of these games. They will get another shot Tuesday, but this one as there for the taking.

Reactions: Bigohh
"
Purdue could point to plenty of reasons why it fell to 1-18 against top five opponents under coach Matt Painter.

Start with the 3-for-25 performance from 3-point range — part bad luck, part poor decisions. Maryland's Robert Carter went 4-for-6 from behind the arc, sparking the Terrapins early and triggering a game-deciding run with his last one in the second half."
since Purdue got outscored 22 points from the FT line figuring out how to change that may be important

The 1-18 record against top 5 programs is what is the stat that blew me away.

I'm guessing most teams have pretty poor stats against top 5 teams. Unless you are a top 5 team yourself (which 5 teams are in the country), you probably don't have a great record against them...

Reactions: mathboy
The game was there for the taking. The defense did what it needed to do to win.

Two stretches we made bad decisions.

The five minute stretch when we held them scoreless. Several bad choices leading to turnovers and wasted opportunities to stretch the lead.

The stretch after we forced them to call a timeout by going up 3. AJ had made the previous two baskets and then we came out shooting bad shots and trying to force the post pass late.

One has to wonder if it is ever going to click for these guys and whether they break through in ones of these games. They will get another shot Tuesday, but this one as there for the taking.

Bingo on the 2 stretches. Some really bad decision making, including Hill and Swanigan.

The 1-18 record against top 5 programs is what is the stat that blew me away.

I'm more surprised that we have any wins at all than I am that we don't have more...Painter rarely has a collection of talent that is going to be able to beat the big boys, his offense struggles against better teams, and his teams lack a killer instinct. It is what it is.

Bingo on the 2 stretches. Some really bad decision making, including Hill and Swanigan.
I wasn't going to call anyone out per se. But the two new guys who get the most minutes need to learn from the others.
Last year we won games by being deliberate and working to get the good looks. Those two stretches we needed to stay patient and we weren't.

Missed opportunity.

I'm guessing most teams have pretty poor stats against top 5 teams. Unless you are a top 5 team yourself (which 5 teams are in the country), you probably don't have a great record against them...
Exactly. By definition top five tems usually win, especially at home. Consider thir home records, usually undefeated. Plus a top 5 tea maybe has 1-3 losses during the season and those are on the road.

BTW, Maryland's 3 point shooting wasn't much better. Other than Carter I think the rest of their team was 0-14.

I'm more surprised that we have any wins at all than I am that we don't have more...Painter rarely has a collection of talent that is going to be able to beat
Exactly. By definition top five tems usually win, especially at home. Consider thir home records, usually undefeated. Plus a top 5 tea maybe has 1-3 losses during the season and those are on the road.
Well, powerhouse Northern Iowa is 2-0 against top 5 teams this year, both on the road.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT