ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting...Jan 2021 has pushed to Nov 2020.

I realize that this is not strictly a Kevin Warren issue, but, he sure has not seemingly handled this (or much else for that matter) well...at all. No way all that has happened during his short time at the helm happens in the same way, if at all, if Delaney is the commissioner.

I admittedly have no idea all of what goes into determining who ultimately becomes commissioner, but, it would seem as well as though the ball may have been dropped (a couple of times).

The rush to be the first to cancel at best appears ill-advised...his subsequent press conference(s) and press release(s) were lousy...and I just have zero faith in this guy as the conference commissioner.

AGAIN, I ask...

What

Will

Be

Different

In

NOVEMBER???

At this time, fatalities are essentially at zero for this age group (0-24).

We (likely) won't have a vaccine.

We won't have had any time to study these portentous, ominous, LONG TERM EFFECTS we keep hearing about, that sort of/maybe/might/could exist (we think).

Unfortunately, at this point, it's to late to be any sooner. But the B1G looks like a pack of morons...

AGAIN, I ask...

What

Will

Be

Different

In

NOVEMBER???

At this time, fatalities are essentially at zero for this age group (0-24).

We (likely) won't have a vaccine.

We won't have had any time to study these portentous, ominous, LONG TERM EFFECTS we keep hearing about, that sort of/maybe/might/could exist (we think).
100 million rapid antigen tests

Reactions: mikemeyer 31
which does... what?
Instant results. Virtually eliminates the risk of infected players participating in games (within accuracy of test result). Just a example of something that will be more refined in a couple months. Not saying it’s a great reason or reason alone.

With that said, I think this plan could work out really well for the league financially . Start up around the holidays. Put B1G football games on tv every single night. Squeeze every last drop of media revenue to offset losses in ticket sales..

But what about the heart problems associated with COVID-19? Those risks won't go away, right? Even when we have a vaccine, it won't be 100% effective. COVID-19 will be with us for a while. Oh, that's right ... the potetnial heart issues was not the (real) reason for shutting it down in the first place!

So, let's assume they do start around Thanksgiving and Covid is pretty much beat down by then, or it is generally agreed by then that the risk is extremely low. Season wraps up by February, all games are played indoors in ideal conditions. Are any of the opt-outs going to opt back in?

So, let's assume they do start around Thanksgiving and Covid is pretty much beat down by then, or it is generally agreed by then that the risk is extremely low. Season wraps up by February, all games are played indoors in ideal conditions. Are any of the opt-outs going to opt back in?
The only opt-outs that come back in are ones that A) Need to improved draft stock B) Want to play for the love of the game and be a part of their team experience. High NFL caliber athletes like Rondale Moore, etc etc, I just do not see the risk of general injury worth it for them.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...n-schedule-options-being-discussed-by-league/

So, if players, parents and fanbase keep the heat on, it might align with Sept. 26th by end of next week? :cool: :D
I didn't think Kevin Warren was going to re-visit the decision?

Why is this so hard to comprehend?

They are looking at multiple options to see what would work best for the Big Ten's football programs. The way you frame it is so misleading.

If you actually want to see them play at some point this year, they should be looking at all options. Some may not work, but they should be looking at all options. And the same should be said with basketball.

There continues to be more players in the ACC/Big 12/SECs of the world that have opted out since the Big Ten/Pac 12 decisions.

So I'd doubt more would opt-in, but maybe...the "wait and see" approach couldn't ring more true today. I think the challenge is there's just a lot of uncertainty. It's like these schools that opened up early - some of those schools, like UNC, didn't have a blueprint and didn't get the advantage of seeing what worked and what didn't work. The schools that opened up later seem to have done a bit better job in knowing what they need to do to keep the spread to a minimum.

With other sports leagues, a lot of them are testing every day and getting near instant results. These Big 12/SEC/ACC programs are now testing 3 times a week - better than the original plan - but teams are still playing catch up (Auburn being the latest example with not being able to practice with multiple positions decimated).

If we finally get to a point where schools have access to rapid testing that's accurate and can do it most/every day, there will be a lot less risk of these big interruptions. If Auburn was in their season right now, for example, their game would have been canceled, and good chance of multiple games.

Why is this so hard to comprehend?

They are looking at multiple options to see what would work best for the Big Ten's football programs. The way you frame it is so misleading.

If you actually want to see them play at some point this year, they should be looking at all options. Some may not work, but they should be looking at all options. And the same should be said with basketball.
I’ll frame it better for you. Start contact practicing now and September 26 is game day.
If B1G wasn’t so mis-guided, they’d be getting in a full season before Christmas.

Don't even need testing at all, unless a player is experiencing symptoms.

If we finally get to a point where schools have access to rapid testing that's accurate and can do it most/every day, there will be a lot less risk of these big interruptions. If Auburn was in their season right now, for example, their game would have been canceled, and good chance of multiple games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT