ADVERTISEMENT

I'm sure the issue was obvious to Painter today

down by 3 with 3:48 to go and we go 3 minutes without scoring and you think defense was the problem?

I think the OP was being sarcastic. Just what was needed when we lose a tough game.

I think the amount of basketball knowledge displayed when we lose a game, and these dinguses come out of the woodwork is just beyond comprehension. Sure, we are all frustrated, but for heavens sake, (1) watch the game, and (2) understand what you saw. Try to post something that is constructive.

:cool:

I think the OP was being sarcastic. Just what was needed when we lose a tough game.

I think the amount of basketball knowledge displayed when we lose a game, and these dinguses come out of the woodwork is just beyond comprehension. Sure, we are all frustrated, but for heavens sake, (1) watch the game, and (2) understand what you saw. Try to post something that is constructive.

It's constructive criticism. Painter will continue to recruit and emphasize D when O is what get's better recruits and what his teams need to get better at. His Defensive philosophy and execution is solid enough, but he can't strategize and get his teams to execute offensively like he needs them to. The OP makes a fair and solid point with some humor.

Reactions: boilerpt
It's constructive criticism. Painter will continue to recruit and emphasize D when O is what get's better recruits and what his teams need to get better at. His Defensive philosophy and execution is solid enough, but he can't strategize and get his teams to execute offensively like he needs them to. The OP makes a fair and solid point with some humor.
I do agree that we are most effective at the defensive ide of the game and we need to improve our offense. The funny thing is, defense won the game for Maryland, rigt? Their offense had been pretty well shut down by our defense, but their interior defense did e job on us in the last four minutes. They could not have done that if (big word) we had started hitting from the outside I would say we lack confidence in our outside shot.

I don't agree about offense attracting higher recruits.

I do agree that we are most effective at the defensive ide of the game and we need to improve our offense. The funny thing is, defense won the game for Maryland, rigt? Their offense had been pretty well shut down by our defense, but their interior defense did e job on us in the last four minutes. They could not have done that if (big word) we had started hitting from the outside I would say we lack confidence in our outside shot.

I don't agree about offense attracting higher recruits.

How do we lack confidence in our outside shot? We sure do take plenty of them. If we were so lacking in confidence, these kids would be hesitant to shoot it. That's clearly not the case. They just don't make them. And I think that an offensive mindset does play a role in recruiting. How the hell do you think an idiot like crean can consistently get highly rated kids and kids who can shoot and score?

Our defense and rebounding are good enough to carry us a long way IF we had some offense to go with it. I get so frustrated with the one dimensional aspect of our offense. The entire planet knows we are going inside....and if it's open we should...but we have to have something to go with it....Hammons cannot carry the team offensively for 40 minutes every game. Where is RD? VE needs to continue to be more aggressive. The game has evolved and so have the rules....you have to be able to hit 3's, get some transition points and get to the rim.

Reactions: boilerpt
We need to get back in the gym and work on our defense. Forget coming up with a functional offense.
I'm sure Maryland being halfway towards the bonus in less than a minute into the second half put some questions into the Purdue defense. Call against AJ was good, other two were bailouts for trimble

Reactions: Heller
Painter has consistently said they spend 75% of practices working on defense (at least he has in the past but I haven't heard him mention it this season). I think it's a legitimate question whether that's an effective strategy at this point. This isn't the first Painter team to consistently struggle offensively.

People can point to being 19-5 over and over but this team still hasn't shown they can beat the better teams in college basketball. Purdue's best wins are teams all hovering around 25-30.

Reactions: cprh9u and boilerpt
Painter has consistently said they spend 75% of practices working on defense (at least he has in the past but I haven't heard him mention it this season). I think it's a legitimate question whether that's an effective strategy at this point. This isn't the first Painter team to consistently struggle offensively.

People can point to being 19-5 over and over but this team still hasn't shown they can beat the better teams in college basketball. Purdue's best wins are teams all hovering around 25-30.

Spot on. No big wins. I still think we finish 4-4 (including tonight) and end up a 7 seed or so. Sure hope I'm wrong but that record with no really good wins and a below expectation performance in conference = mediocre. Oh well, par for the course under CMP.

This is because at this point in the season, you aren't going to make any major changes to your offensive game plan. You are going to focus much more on how to defend an opponent rather than how to run your offense against an opposing defense. A majority of the offensive side of the ball is installed in the first 2-3 weeks of the season. Other than preparing for a team like Syracuse or Shaka Smart, a team isn't going to spend a ton of time on the offensive side of the ball. They will walk through some things if a team switches on screens or does something a bit different, but offensively it is all about execution. You saw when Purdue executed their offense, Maryland had little they could do. When Purdue doesn't, they are an above average team because they don't have a player like Trimble to break down a defense and bail us out.

Honestly, take some time to go in YouTube and see if there is any uploaded video of college practices online to see how things are structured. Many of your bitching and moaning have zero clue about what actually takes place in the court. And this doesn't necessarily single any poster out..simply a blanket statement.

Reactions: BBG
This is because at this point in the season, you aren't going to make any major changes to your offensive game plan. You are going to focus much more on how to defend an opponent rather than how to run your offense against an opposing defense. A majority of the offensive side of the ball is installed in the first 2-3 weeks of the season. Other than preparing for a team like Syracuse or Shaka Smart, a team isn't going to spend a ton of time on the offensive side of the ball. They will walk through some things if a team switches on screens or does something a bit different, but offensively it is all about execution. You saw when Purdue executed their offense, Maryland had little they could do. When Purdue doesn't, they are an above average team because they don't have a player like Trimble to break down a defense and bail us out.

Honestly, take some time to go in YouTube and see if there is any uploaded video of college practices online to see how things are structured. Many of your bitching and moaning have zero clue about what actually takes place in the court. And this doesn't necessarily single any poster out..simply a blanket statement.

So offense is all about execution but they can't practice it more to get better at executing it? Purdue plays man to man exclusively but it has to be constantly practiced throughout the season because it's so much more complex than the motion offense?

That argument doesn't hold a lot of water to me but you're entitled to your own opinion.

Reactions: BoilerDeac

To act like yesterday was a "normal" shooting day for Purdue is also grossly inaccurate. We had a bad day shooting. Every team does. And to act like we were supposed to won is also not accurate. Purdue was favored to lose, we competed very well on the road and we lost. There's absolutely no moral victories here - but to go into a top 5 team's place and then complain when we don't win is kinda silly.

To act like yesterday was a "normal" shooting day for Purdue is also grossly inaccurate. We had a bad day shooting. Every team does. And to act like we were supposed to won is also not accurate. Purdue was favored to lose, we competed very well on the road and we lost. There's absolutely no moral victories here - but to go into a top 5 team's place and then complain when we don't win is kinda silly.

Absolutely no moral victories, but that is exactly what you are describing. I don't care if we were favored or not, home or away. We were up late and (again) couldn't close it out. Congrats to the guys for competing for a while, at Purdue that is more than enough.

Absolutely no moral victories, but that is exactly what you are describing. I don't care if we were favored or not, home or away. We were up late and (again) couldn't close it out. Congrats to the guys for competing for a while, at Purdue that is more than enough.

It's not a moral victory, it's a loss. You're just simply whining.

Reactions: BBG
Purdue offense is Hammons or Haas camped out inside, 4 guys out front, with occasional player cutting thru , trying to throw ball inside, then one of 3 things happen, ball gets inside for a good shot, ball gets stolen on pass, less than 10 on shot clock and team realizes they can't throw it inside and throw up a shot, with alot being contested shots or bad shots

Reactions: BeerbellyBoiler
Guard play is my issue. Too much standing around without the ball. Purdue is lacking a guard that can create and get his own shot off. When shots aren't falling like yesterday then the pressure is on Hammons and Haas inside.

Lol no it's not "silly." It's the 'we weren't favored to win' mentality that appears to frequent too many of us Purdue fans.

I'm all for being level-headed, but people absolutely have a right to complain, especially when a team collapses (again) down the stretch and shoots 3-25 from deep.

How in the hell can you practice D with out an O unit on the floor?
When you practice defense in preparing for a game, you usually practice by simulating what your upcoming opponent does on offense, not what you do. That's the big difference. At least that's what my teams use to do.

When you practice defense in preparing for a game, you usually practice by simulating what your upcoming opponent does on offense, not what you do. That's the big difference. At least that's what my teams use to do.
I hear ya. I am just saying they work on O all year around with a lot of instruction.

Where in my post do I suggest that "we were supposed to win" and where do I "complain when we don't win"?

My comment was whether or not the team focusing so much on defense in practice is the best use of that time and how they still haven't beat anyone of note (yes, there have been some solid wins against NCAA tourney teams). I have no problem with people disagreeing with that but fabricating things that were never mentioned in my post isn't a way to have a reasonable back and forth discussion.

- Good offense looks bad when a team is shooting poorly, and bad offense looks good when a team is making shots. This is true at any level of basketball.

- You won't win games when you shoot as poorly as we did yesterday, it's that simple.
I have watched a lot of basketball in my life and I have seen ( not what I would call pore shooting) but more of a fact of the ball just not falling. It's an easy game when the shots are falling and just wrenching when they are not.

Remember the Stanford game in St. Louis? I think PU shot 29 percent from the field and were still in the game with 3 min to go. I just kept thinking that some of these shoots have to fall. They never did. They were almost a lock to go to the final four that year when you looked at the match ups they had.

Reactions: mathboy
Lol no it's not "silly." It's the 'we weren't favored to win' mentality that appears to frequent too many of us Purdue fans.

I'm all for being level-headed, but people absolutely have a right to complain, especially when a team collapses (again) down the stretch and shoots 3-25 from deep.
Correct, especially when the game is there for the taking. Maryland did not play well yesterday and that's a game as a good team, you have to take advantage of.

Reactions: Inspector100
I have watched a lot of basketball in my life and I have seen ( not what I would call pore shooting) but more of a fact of the ball just not falling. It's an easy game when the shots are falling and just wrenching when they are not.

Remember the Stanford game in St. Louis? I think PU shot 29 percent from the field and were still in the game with 3 min to go. I just kept thinking that some of these shoots have to fall. They never did. They were almost a lock to go to the final four that year when you looked at the match ups they had.
And miller got the shit beat out of him with a lot of no calls. That did not help.

- Good offense looks bad when a team is shooting poorly, and bad offense looks good when a team is making shots. This is true at any level of basketball.

- You won't win games when you shoot as poorly as we did yesterday, it's that simple.
AND...all the more reason to drive the ball. Shooting was great (25 of 44?) inside the arc...

AND...all the more reason to drive the ball. Shooting was great (25 of 44?) inside the arc...

I agree, and along with the perpetual no-calls when players are literally shoving Haas in the lower back, the lack of driving was the main reason for the FT disparity.

One reason for the lack of driving lanes is our offensive scheme with a low-post. Hammons/Haas + their defender(s) add a lot of beef in the lane, limiting space for driving lanes. Hammons has shown an ability to make outside shots & more of our motion should include him moving around the court as opposed to camping in the post. That should create more opportunity for drives, along with making it easier for Hammons to score on follow-up rebounds from the perimeter.

Yet people are complaining we rely on that too much.

At the end of the day, is there any team in the Big Ten that people are satisfied with their offense? Let alone defense.

There isn't a team in the Big Ten without flaws. People expect perfection out of Painter.

Reactions: tjreese

And I said - to act like that is a NORMAL shooting day for us is wrong. Yeah, we had a crappy game from outside. Not saying it shouldn't be addressed or pointed out - I pointed out in another thread that Swanigan taking 5 3s was absurd. But the people taking yesterday's output and saying we shouldn't practice defense as much, we have a bad offense, etc. is just not really accurate.

I also flat out said that we didn't take advantage of dry stretches by Maryland when we were on a run - when we took careless shots, etc.

Yes, I was frustrated - I was at the damn game. What I am saying is people taking this one game and making it about our entire season and program. It's just not accurate.

By the way, in case anybody cared, Maryland's 3 point defense is actually tops in the Big Ten. And Iowa didn't fare much better....5-24.

Those damn Under Armour basketballs...ha.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Spot on. No big wins. I still think we finish 4-4 (including tonight) and end up a 7 seed or so. Sure hope I'm wrong but that record with no really good wins and a below expectation performance in conference = mediocre. Oh well, par for the course under CMP.
Average is the best of the worst and worst of the best.

Yet people are complaining we rely on that too much.

At the end of the day, is there any team in the Big Ten that people are satisfied with their offense? Let alone defense.

There isn't a team in the Big Ten without flaws. People expect perfection out of Painter.
I expect a consistent top 20 team which plays into the 2nd weekend of the tourney every year. some years will fall a rung short, some years will achieve a rung higher.

I expect a consistent top 20 team which plays into the 2nd weekend of the tourney every year. some years will fall a rung short, some years will achieve a rung higher.

I understand you have the some years will be better than others, but again, there's a matter of reality (and I'm speaking in general terms of some people on this forum, not necessarily you).

There's 11 teams in the country that have been to the NCAA Tournament 5 or more years consecutively. There's only 16 teams that have been more than 3 years in a row. There's only 3 teams in the Big Ten that have currently been to the NCAA Tournament more than 2 years in a row.

The same thing goes with people taking this 1 game against a top 5 team on the road and coming up with this broad vindication of Purdue's basketball program.

The constant complaining about things on this forum is crazy. Yes, Purdue has things to work on - I've been abundantly clear on some issues throughout the entire season - consistently. But I also recognize that there are no perfect teams out there. Look how inconsistent teams have been across the board, across the nation this year. It's NOT a Purdue thing to play inconsistently. It's NOT a Purdue thing to lose a 6 point lead in 7 minutes. It's NOT a Purdue thing to have a really bad night shooting 3s.

This forum has the same tone as the freaking football forum where we've been lucky to go 2-10 in a year. We're 19-5. The tone shouldn't be the same. Some people just are not operating in reality.

I agree, and along with the perpetual no-calls when players are literally shoving Haas in the lower back, the lack of driving was the main reason for the FT disparity.

One reason for the lack of driving lanes is our offensive scheme with a low-post. Hammons/Haas + their defender(s) add a lot of beef in the lane, limiting space for driving lanes. Hammons has shown an ability to make outside shots & more of our motion should include him moving around the court as opposed to camping in the post. That should create more opportunity for drives, along with making it easier for Hammons to score on follow-up rebounds from the perimeter.
Absolutely...why I like two fours about 6'9"or so. So they drive and pull up like pj tried but he hot too deep and it got blocked

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT