ADVERTISEMENT

I'll take the win...

I'll gladly take an ugly win over a 'pretty' loss, but I also fear we may have peaked in January again. Hopefully they can get their #$%! together before the tournament. Regardless, they've earned some praise. Winning on the road is always tough, especially in Assembly Hall.

This game COULD be the best thing for them, especially Carsen Edwards IF (and I do mean IF) they take it truly to heart and learn from it. We shall see.

On to Lincoln, Nebraska.....another challenge.
And they just got "PASTED" by PSU...thank god they never lived up to their expectations this year! (losing 7 of 8).............

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
What a hideous looking box score...on both sides. I just texted my pops that both teams should be in @ss hall right now running laps.
I truly think the ref are letting them play a bit more the last couple of weeks. This was a gut check and Purdue found a way to win. Finding a way to win when things are not going your way is a huge positive.

Winners tell teh jokes and losers say deal the F&*^ing cards! Move on...next!

But that game scares me. We are not improving right now...

The thing that really changed this team this season was development of a post presence in the form of Tre and Haarms. Post play allows the game to slow down a bit, and we could really have used that tonight. There was a brief stretch during the 2nd half where Tre got a bucket & was fouled a couple of times, but then proceeded to miss a defensive assignment for an "and 1" & was subbed by Boudreaux.

Hopefully, Tre continues to get over his illness & we round back into form. I'm very happy for the win, but this was some very poor basketball tonight.

The thing that really changed this team this season was development of a post presence in the form of Tre and Haarms. Post play allows the game to slow down a bit, and we could really have used that tonight. There was a brief stretch during the 2nd half where Tre got a bucket & was fouled a couple of times, but then proceeded to miss a defensive assignment for an "and 1" & was subbed by Boudreaux.

Hopefully, Tre continues to get over his illness & we round back into form. I'm very happy for the win, but this was some very poor basketball tonight.
My basic concern is a lack opf poise with this team...adn yes teh low post slows it down and provides it. Tre could have kicked it back to Carsen a time or two tonight and reposted. Wihtout the post presence, Carsen needs to take their attention and be a facilitator to used their focus against them. Tonight IU covered up the dive and slip well, but Carsen can still penetrate and hit another. Did anyone think Grady should have shot a couple of times late? He didn't and he played a HELL of a game. Gut check in against a talented team that was capable, that got some breaks and Purdue gutted it out. Matt was right...Purdue is used to the grind!

I think the D worked well in letting Smith get the ball and him dribbling it. I might have defended the trigger man trying to force a short pass, but they denied Romeo and it all worked out!

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I truly think the ref are letting them play a bit more the last couple of weeks. This was a gut check and Purdue found a way to win. Finding a way to win when things are not going your way is a huge positive.

Winners tell teh jokes and losers say deal the F&*^ing cards! Move on...next!
WM_Kenny-Rogers_The-Gambler.jpg

Reactions: tjreese
My basic concern is a lack opf poise with this team...adn yes teh low post slows it down and provides it. Tre could have kicked it back to Carsen a time or two tonight and reposted. Wihtout the post presence, Carsen needs to take their attention and be a facilitator to used their focus against them. Tonight IU covered up the dive and slip well, but Carsen can still penetrate and hit another. Did anyone think Grady should have shot a couple of times late? He didn't and he played a HELL of a game. Gut check in against a talented team that was capable, thjat got some breaks and gutted it out. Matt was right...Purdue is used to the grind!

I think the D worked well in letting Smith get the ball and him dribbling it. I might have defended the trigger man trying to force a short pass, but they denied Romeo and it all worked out!

Yes - Grady rarely shoots off the drive unless he gets all the way to the rim. He's good enough to stop & make a 12 foot jumper, but for whatever reason, he almost never attempts that shot.

The kid is so valuable that it's tough to ask much more from him, but whatever - that's what fans do.

Reactions: tjreese
Yes - Grady rarely shoots off the drive unless he gets all the way to the rim. He's good enough to stop & make a 12 foot jumper, but for whatever reason, he almost never attempts that shot.

The kid is so valuable that it's tough to ask much more from him, but whatever - that's what fans do.
Everyone focuses on his limitations, but damn does he make you proud with his effort that results in valuable extra possessions for the O and his D overall!

My basic concern is a lack opf poise with this team...adn yes teh low post slows it down and provides it. Tre could have kicked it back to Carsen a time or two tonight and reposted. Wihtout the post presence, Carsen needs to take their attention and be a facilitator to used their focus against them. Tonight IU covered up the dive and slip well, but Carsen can still penetrate and hit another. Did anyone think Grady should have shot a couple of times late? He didn't and he played a HELL of a game. Gut check in against a talented team that was capable, that got some breaks and Purdue gutted it out. Matt was right...Purdue is used to the grind!

Hard to second guess given the output, but if Grady starts taking and hitting threes where he has an open look, not just when he’s wide open, he adds a whole other dimension to the offense.

Hard to second guess given the output, but if Grady starts taking and hitting threes where he has an open look, not just when he’s wide open, he adds a whole other dimension to the offense.
I agree, but I'm sure Grady heard what we heard...play your roles...if you are a shooter...shoot. If you are a rebounder...rebound. Now earlier in the game with several possessions..yes, Grady can hit it. He probably was tired and just didn't feel it, but you are right...a scoring Grady just amps up Purdue's offense.

This game COULD be the best thing for them, especially Carsen Edwards, IF (and I do mean IF) they take it truly to heart and learn from it. We shall see.

On to Lincoln, Nebraska.....another challenge.
Carsen has done this far too often in Big Ten play but nothing seems to get corrected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT