ADVERTISEMENT

If you have an hour or can cast this to a large screen...enjoy

TJR, thanks for posting this. It brings up a lot of things where I would like to comment. I don't know if I can remember all of them, but I am going to give it a shot.

To all of those that wonder about Coach Painter, who he is, how he does things including recruiting here is my first take. We have been listening to him tell the same story, not necessarily at the same setting, for at least the past 10 years. It defines him as a person, a teacher, a coach and a mentor.

The story tells about his passion for basketball, about his desire for knowledge about basketball, about his dedication to excellence, about his loyalty to all of his acquaintances, about his ability to remember the past and the people who have been around him, about his ability to recognize fairness and be fair with others, about his ability to recognize qualities in an individual as they relate to the most important character traits, about his ability to recognize the flaws in an individual and a group of individuals and find ways to work within the structure of those flaws that result in continued success, and about his ability to communicate the truth and offer that as reasons to follow his plan for success.

I believe this past season has been one that has been pretty demanding of him on a side outside of basketball. That wears on people no matter who they may be. I believe it was just as stressful if not more so than another event in his life several years back. He is a human being and susceptible to emotional life changes such as that. So I give to him my highest level of compassion and thanks.

That pretty much covers the items I can think of in a short time covering this topic. I am sure there are some more things that will come to my mind at a later time. I look at all of this as the definition of a leader. A leader of people. And one that is willing to sacrifice his personal success for that of others. He gets it and I am very grateful that he is working for my school.

TJR, thanks for posting this. It brings up a lot of things where I would like to comment. I don't know if I can remember all of them, but I am going to give it a shot.

To all of those that wonder about Coach Painter, who he is, how he does things including recruiting here is my first take. We have been listening to him tell the same story, not necessarily at the same setting, for at least the past 10 years. It defines him as a person, a teacher, a coach and a mentor.

The story tells about his passion for basketball, about his desire for knowledge about basketball, about his dedication to excellence, about his loyalty to all of his acquaintances, about his ability to remember the past and the people who have been around him, about his ability to recognize fairness and be fair with others, about his ability to recognize qualities in an individual as they relate to the most important character traits, about his ability to recognize the flaws in an individual and a group of individuals and find ways to work within the structure of those flaws that result in continued success, and about his ability to communicate the truth and offer that as reasons to follow his plan for success.

I believe this past season has been one that has been pretty demanding of him on a side outside of basketball. That wears on people no matter who they may be. I believe it was just as stressful if not more so than another event in his life several years back. He is a human being and susceptible to emotional life changes such as that. So I give to him my highest level of compassion and thanks.

That pretty much covers the items I can think of in a short time covering this topic. I am sure there are some more things that will come to my mind at a later time. I look at all of this as the definition of a leader. A leader of people. And one that is willing to sacrifice his personal success for that of others. He gets it and I am very grateful that he is working for my school.
I agree with your assessment and would add that CMP is a basketball junkie. He loves the game and it is his passion. I ran into Matt while shopping in Indy and I was hesitant to intrude on his privacy so I just said “hi coach Painter”. What ensued was a terrific conversation in which his enthusiasm for the game and in particular his team and individual players was overflowing. This kind of passion for your job, no matter what your occupation, is the single most important factor in high performance. Purdue is very fortunate to have Matt Painter as coach.

I think you did an excellent job of summarizing the video.

My father (when he was still alive) and I ran into Matt Painter and his father at the Final Four in 2009 in Detroit.

My father and I were rushing to get to our seats for the tip off and Matt Painter saw my Purdue Sweatshirt in the sea of people and walked right up to me and said hello.

I introduced him to my father and he introduced his father to me and I told him the last time I saw him was when we were both back in college together.

Was a funny thing to say in front of our fathers but I remember handing Matt a Busch Light Draft (Yuck) in my fraternity room before one of our all campus parties back in the early 90's.......

I felt so proud that he would take the time to notice my Purdue sweatshirt in such a large crowd and then take the time to come up and say hello and introduce his father.

Matt said he takes his father to every Final Four....which I think is awesome.

I know that 2009 Final Four was a bucket list for me and my father and thankfully we got it in before he passed away in 2015.

I know I am very thankful that Matt Painter is our coach and representing Purdue....he is someone I can trust and loves Purdue and the sport I love so much.

Boiler Up!

My father (when he was still alive) and I ran into Matt Painter and his father at the Final Four in 2009 in Detroit.

My father and I were rushing to get to our seats for the tip off and Matt Painter saw my Purdue Sweatshirt in the sea of people and walked right up to me and said hello.

I introduced him to my father and he introduced his father to me and I told him the last time I saw him was when we were both back in college together.

Was a funny thing to say in front of our fathers but I remember handing Matt a Busch Light Draft (Yuck) in my fraternity room before one of our all campus parties back in the early 90's.......

I felt so proud that he would take the time to notice my Purdue sweatshirt in such a large crowd and then take the time to come up and say hello and introduce his father.

Matt said he takes his father to every Final Four....which I think is awesome.

I know that 2009 Final Four was a bucket list for me and my father and thankfully we got it in before he passed away in 2015.

I know I am very thankful that Matt Painter is our coach and representing Purdue....he is someone I can trust and loves Purdue and the sport I love so much.

Boiler Up!
I wish I could give this a million likes.

CMP often employs the phrase "a good dude" to describe various people. He is the walking embodiment of the description.

I first met Mike Painter in the late 80's I was at an All Star event . While talking to Allen Darner he came and sat with us . I never said more than a handful of words to him . At the time I only knew he had a son that was pretty good and played with Bobby Knights son . I have since had a few more encounters with him super nice guy . The longest conversation I have ever had with coach lasted about 30 minutes . When I asked him at a fan day in Mackey how Mike was doing . The conversation was personal but lets just say coach has an exceptional memory .

I first met Mike Painter in the late 80's I was at an All Star event . While talking to Allen Darner he came and sat with us . I never said more than a handful of words to him . At the time I only knew he had a son that was pretty good and played with Bobby Knights son . I have since had a few more encounters with him super nice guy . The longest conversation I have ever had with coach lasted about 30 minutes . When I asked him at a fan day in Mackey how Mike was doing . The conversation was personal but lets just say coach has an exceptional memory .
I think there are many examples that could point to Matt's very good memory. He can rattle off so much history in basketball on the go...

Reactions: PU pit bull
If CMP ever wants to raise money for a charity, he should auction off opportunities to have beers and talk basketball/sports with him for a couple of hours. He's just so good at telling his experiences and explaining why he thinks what he does. Could listen to that for hours.

If CMP ever wants to raise money for a charity, he should auction off opportunities to have beers and talk basketball/sports with him for a couple of hours. He's just so good at telling his experiences and explaining why he thinks what he does. Could listen to that for hours.

Similar to the Taste of Coaching with Steve Lavin..... The Spirits of Coaching....

BBWqNoT.img

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: PU pit bull
I’m going to definitely have to watch this. I think we are very fortunate to have Painter as coach. Every time he is interviewed, especially when Dakich has him on, it is a great listen and as I’ve said before, he just seems like a genuinely good dude that you’d like to hang out and shoot the bull with.

As Pebble suggests, in light of the events of this past week a portion of this interview possibly gives further insight about what may have been the most frustrating aspect in dealing with Nojel and possibly Matt Haarms.

In a nutshell, CMP talks about guys working hard and getting shots up on their own -- which is commendable -- but not necessarily practicing and training to improve their skills in a way that relates to Purdue's offensive and defensive principles. As he might ask "So what are we doing here?"

This interview is well worth a listen and reinforces why I wouldn't trade CMP for anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBG and tjreese
This really shows not only how much CMP knows about this game but who he is as a person. And I am DAMN glad he is our coach.

Anyone thinking he should be fired or do something a certain way needs to watch that video. If they aren't humbled and realize we have the best coach for Purdue, then they are just posting that stuff to be thick headed. End of story..........gimme a beer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT