ADVERTISEMENT

If you had your choice...

Would you rather get Malik Hall and a later targeted, lower priority guard, or get both Armaan Franklin and Brandon Newman and call it a class?
That’s tough because we already have one part of your equation with Isaiah - granted if he wasn’t hurt lost the summer he is easily a top 100-125 range kid.

I will take Newman and Franklin. I think when the dust settles Newman will be a Top 50 kid and Franklin will be top 100.

That’s tough because we already have one part of your equation with Isaiah - granted if he wasn’t hurt lost the summer he is easily a top 100-125 range kid.

I will take Newman and Franklin. I think when the dust settles Newman will be a Top 50 kid and Franklin will be top 100.
To clarify, I meant, we get Malik and say a ~150 range 3 Star kinda guard with Gillis and IT

Interesting though, conflicting opinions in the first two comments. I can’t really decide myself. I want to say you want as many 6’4ish guards as you possibly can get on your team with how college basketball is. But Malik is the kinda guy that, say Carsen stays his senior year somehow, could be a ready to play freshman and make a good team great in 2019.

Would you rather get Malik Hall and a later targeted, lower priority guard, or get both Armaan Franklin and Brandon Newman and call it a class?

Hall all the way in this scenario. Just love the thought of Wheeler, Gillis, and Hall on the roster and the length and skill that would potentially bring to future lineups.

I want the oversign and all 3 guys you mentioned though. I can dream, right?

Hall all the way in this scenario. Just love the thought of Wheeler, Gillis, and Hall on the roster and the length and skill that would potentially bring to future lineups.

I want the oversign and all 3 guys you mentioned though. I can dream, right?
Believe me, I want all 3 too. Realistically, 2/3 could very well happen and I’d be pleased with that. Have to land 1/3 in my opinion. Have to.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I will be happy with the next two we sign no matter who they are...…

Love Newman's game and his confidence...you can see it in his eyes he is a tough player.

I am just glad we are in the mix for all of them and would be happy with any of them in the Purdue family.

Boiler Up!

In the Gold and Black Radio podcast today, Brian stated Franklin said he definitely will officially visit Purdue and maybe will visit Xavier and Clemson. Sounds like Purdue is in good shape there.

Malik Hall and a talented player that can fit in well, be it a 2019 class prospect, a JUCO transfer, a standard DI transfer, or an immediately eligible transfer

Sort of off the topic, but you are so adamant about getting transfers, where as I would always prefer a four year guy that is loyal to Purdue through and through. Why the love for constant transfers? Help me see your side!

Sort of off the topic, but you are so adamant about getting transfers, where as I would always prefer a four year guy that is loyal to Purdue through and through. Why the love for constant transfers? Help me see your side!

There's a lot of good transfer players available every year. Usually there are some better transfer players available than what there are of incoming freshmen.

Last edited:

my thoughts.

I want Painter to recruit 4/5 star elite high school players. and hopefully they stick around for 4 years. However, a great elite player has a tendency to leave before his 4th year. and they have a tendency to announce they're leaving after attending the NBA combine. This leaves a glaring hole after the signing period has already passed. the question then becomes, how do you fill the hole? Do yo u leave the hole unfilled? Do you fill the hole with a lesser quality high school player who is still looking for an offer? or do you fill the hole with a quality transfer looking for a new home?

I'm not a big fan of recruiting juco or transfer players. but I do see the need of a full roster rather than just banking the scholarship. and for that reason, if a person were to leave the program late in the year, I would want to fill the hole with best quality player available. and in May, I believe that best quality player would be a transfer.

Next year, we could see both Eastern and Edwards leave. We won't have a definitive answer until after the NBA combine. and unless we over recruit, by the time they announce their departure, all the great players will be committed. My hope is painter fills the gap with a 1 year transfer providing a little coverage until he can fill the position with an elite high school player once more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT