ADVERTISEMENT

If we clinch outright B1G title this weekend…

New Pal Boiler

All-American
Jun 30, 2010
Do Braden and Zach get more rest in the last 2 games?

Do Heide and/or Colvin play more in the last 2 games?

Do we play zone in the last 2 games ?

Do we play Edey and Berg together in the last 2 games?

• Haha
Reactions: Zaphod_B and DrEss
I would still run the horses as much as possible in reg season because we must ensure the #1 seed in the midwest. I think its a given at this point but winning 2/3 games would lock it in imo.

I don't care at all about the BIG Ten tournament this year. So yes to all of your stuff for the BIG tourney because I don't care and it would be hilarious to see teams try to rebound against Edey and Burg together haha.

I was actually thinking about how Painter could limit fatigue in the BIG tourney while not looking like he was explicitly throwing games. Maybe put a hard limit of 20-25 minutes per game on Edey/Jones/Loyer/Smith? Even if we lost on Friday, it will be to a decent team so I don't think it will mean squat for the big dance seeding especially if we win 2/3 to finish reg season.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I dont see Painter pulling the reigns back at all (at least I hope not) with respect to Edey and Smith's usage. One, we need to still get the #1 seed. Two, we're in the midst of a historic season. Three, Edey has a chance to become Purdue's all time leading scorer and is trying to get drafted as high as possible. I understand he may not be necessarily trying to pad stats, but putting together a dominant string of games from now through our chip run should be a boost to his draft stock.

I would still run the horses as much as possible in reg season because we must ensure the #1 seed in the midwest. I think its a given at this point but winning 2/3 games would lock it in imo.

I don't care at all about the BIG Ten tournament this year. So yes to all of your stuff for the BIG tourney because I don't care and it would be hilarious to see teams try to rebound against Edey and Burg together haha.

I was actually thinking about how Painter could limit fatigue in the BIG tourney while not looking like he was explicitly throwing games. Maybe put a hard limit of 20-25 minutes per game on Edey/Jones/Loyer/Smith? Even if we lost on Friday, it will be to a decent team so I don't think it will mean squat for the big dance seeding especially if we win 2/3 to finish reg season.
1 seed in Midwest is already a wrap as are UConn in East and Houston in south…Lunardi has said they won’t be changing rest of season.

Reactions: BoilerNGold013
CMP will run with his horses. When he is up 30 and his guys are still in the game late in the 2nd half, is evidence of that.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
Do Braden and Zach get more rest in the last 2 games?

Do Heide and/or Colvin play more in the last 2 games?

Do we play zone in the last 2 games ?

Do we play Edey and Berg together in the last 2 games?
if this happens, I say we troll Illinois by running a 2-3 the whole game. Play Waddell Morton Furst Colvin and Berg and walk ons all game…i want to see how mad their fans get because they have some odd hatred for Purdue.

playe starters in BTT and Win 1 game and lose the next.

if this happens, I say we troll Illinois by running a 2-3 the whole game. Play Waddell Morton Furst Colvin and Berg and walk ons all game…i want to see how mad their fans get because they have some odd hatred for Purdue.

playe starters in BTT and Win 1 game and lose the next.
Purdue will be balls to the walls trying to win the Big Ten Tourney, no way the players or Painter will dial back.

My understanding from interviews with MP are that he fundamentally disagrees with reducing game minutes to limit fatigue. He feels strongly (right or wrong) that you manage fatigue by scaling back on practice, ensure proper nutrition, getting enough sleep, etc.

My understanding from interviews with MP are that he fundamentally disagrees with reducing game minutes to limit fatigue. He feels strongly (right or wrong) that you manage fatigue by scaling back on practice, ensure proper nutrition, getting enough sleep, etc.
I agree with reg season 100%. College isn't like the NBA with crazy game schedules where players have little time to recover from game to game.

But I disagree when it comes the BIG tournament. Playing Smith/Edey 35+ minutes for three straight days before the NCAA tournament will only lead to further deaden legs and create shooting/mental fatigue for our best players.

Purdue has won the BIG ten tourney before but has not been to a final 4 since 1980. 1980! I would try to maximize potential for the NCAA tournament rather than running my guys to try to win less prestigious BIG ten tournament.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I agree with reg season 100%. College isn't like the NBA with crazy game schedules where players have little time to recover from game to game.

But I disagree when it comes the BIG tournament. Playing Smith/Edey 35+ minutes for three straight days before the NCAA tournament will only lead to further deaden legs and create shooting/mental fatigue for our best players.

Purdue has won the BIG ten tourney before but has not been to a final 4 since 1980. 1980! I would try to maximize potential for the NCAA tournament rather than running my guys to try to win less prestigious BIG ten tournament.
It will be interesting to see how MP approaches the BTT. I'm fairly confident that he agrees with your assessment the winning the BTT is not worth any negative impact on the NCAAT. I'm not sure that he agrees with your view that playing 100+ minutes in three days negatively impacts a player or team's readiness to play the NCAAT opener on Thursday or Friday.

As a data point, Coach K teams played in 22 ACC championship games and he prioritized the NCAAT above all else.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Depending on who Purdue plays, it might be hard to throw a game in the BTT. All the players are playing to win, and even if we rest the starters more, than doesn't guarantee Purdue loses. Painter won't throw in the walk ons with 10 mins left. Just won't happen.

Also, it were draw Nebraska, I'd like nothing more than to beat those clowns away from their home court.

I'm honestly of the notion that the BTT impacts very little on NCAAT. Smith and Loyer may have hit the freshman wall last year. But Purdue's issues are mental at this point. For all we know, playing not to win our last game going into NCAAT may have a mental effect. I feel like you try to win every game, treat every game like the Title game and let the chips fall

As a data point, Coach K teams played in 22 ACC championship games and he prioritized the NCAAT above all else.
I loathed Ratface and the smug, entitled air he and his teams projected, but there is no denying they were stone-cold killers who embraced the role of “favorite” practically every time they took the floor….

This-to me- is Painter’s greatest challenge; I’m supportive of ANYTHING he can do to instill these qualities into Purdue!

If we clinch it outright on Saturday night I still don't think we hold back anything for the last couple games of the regular season. Just doesn't seem like Coach Painter's style and frankly I'm not sure I can remember any college teams anywhere resting players in the regular season in prior years.

I don't think we'll rest anyone in the Big Ten Tournament either although I do think there have been teams in the past that have not gone all out to win their conference tournaments. Again, just don't think it's Coach Painter's style. If there's a trophy to be won, they are going after it.

Personally, I'd play regular rotation through the end of the season. I might pull back in the Big Ten tournament though. Let Colvin, Heide, Furst, and Morton get 10-15 minutes each in the first game and see how it goes. If we lose, no big deal. Extra rest for the NCAA tournament. If we can win our first game that way, re-evaluate for game 2. If we advance to the championship game, I'd be going all out for the championship though.

It will be interesting to see how MP approaches the BTT. I'm fairly confident that he agrees with your assessment the winning the BTT is not worth any negative impact on the NCAAT. I'm not sure that he agrees with your view that playing 100+ minutes in three days negatively impacts a player or team's readiness to play the NCAAT opener on Thursday or Friday.

I also remember an interview with Painter where he certainly said the importance of the BIG tourney is variable. For the elite 8 run team, Painter stopped short of saying it was good that team lost on Friday but he did say he felt like the team benefitted from the extra practice/rest. He also mentioned that he felt like other programs have different perspectives on the conference tournament as well so I certainly think its in his mind about some type of load management.

However, maybe he has made adjustments to rest cycles outside of games and feels confident that 35+ minutes for three straight days in the BIG tournament wont be a big deal? I have no clue.
But just from thinking about the physical pounding that a schedule like that entails, my opinion would be to avoid it before what amounts to probably Purdue's best shot at a final 4/natty since Painter has been the head coach.

Reactions: northside100
Might be just me but I think the tournament being in Minnesota makes it feel far less important. If it were in Indy or Chicago, either of which is about a couple hours from campus, I think more Purdue fans would go and make the event feel more important.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I keep reading people crying about resting our players and fearing they may get hurt if they play! These players practice hard everyday whether they have a game or not, And just as many injuries occur in practice as they do in games. Big Dog’s injury didn’t happen in a game. It happened from fooling around. As for young players, if you look at their high school years, most of them to be considered by colleges played in 25 high school games and played in fall, spring and summer AAU games and also 2/3 summer basketball camps. They either have the stamina or they don’t. Resting a player for 4 days isn’t going to matter. They’ll probably use the time to play at the corec.

I keep reading people crying about resting our players and fearing they may get hurt if they play! These players practice hard everyday whether they have a game or not, And just as many injuries occur in practice as they do in games. Big Dog’s injury didn’t happen in a game. It happened from fooling around. As for young players, if you look at their high school years, most of them to be considered by colleges played in 25 high school games and played in fall, spring and summer AAU games and also 2/3 summer basketball camps. They either have the stamina or they don’t. Resting a player for 4 days isn’t going to matter. They’ll probably use the time to play at the corec.
You have a couple of generalizations I don’t agree with.

The issue with Zack people are out to get him. You overlook our two main poorly timed injuries of Haas and Hummel, both in games. He clearly is fatigued in games from all the physical abuse he gets.

With fatigue I disagree. Our guys play hard. I don’t think it will be as big an impact this year but last year Braden was very visibly fatigued in the tourney. Carsen was too as a freshman. We have no freshmen but its a whole new level in the tourney we have not seen yet playing so many games ina short periods especially if we have a deep run in the BTT.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Edey gets roughed up every game. Limiting his minutes makes sense to me. Maybe not from a dead leg concern but injury point of view. Northwestern comes in with a whale and whine game plan. Hit him and cry about the foul discrepancy.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Wisky with a nice pregame ceremony for Howard Moore. Go Badgers

Well, the ACC Tournament is considered more important than their regular season to them. Why, I don't know, but that's what I've always heard from fans in that area, especially Duke.

Well, the ACC Tournament is considered more important than their regular season to them. Why, I don't know, but that's what I've always heard from fans in that area, especially Duke.
This is true for most conferences that had long-standing tournaments. The regular season was seen more as for seeding and preparation for the tourney. The B1G always used the regular season results for the conference championship and for determining the automatic bid. By the time they added the tournament, the field had been expanded and many more teams were already being invited to the NCAA Championship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT