ADVERTISEMENT

If Purdue BB wins the next two non-conf games...

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Where would you rank them?
#1 behind no one
#2 behind UCONN
#2 behind another
#3 behind who
#4 they stay put

I keep seeing that rankings don't matter. That is just silly talk and needs to stop.
  • Do rankings impact the team's play? No (not directly anyway)
  • Do rankings guarantee a victory in a game? No, certainly not.
  • Do rankings mean anything going into and out of March? No, not really.
  • Do rankings build talent and place talent at the next level? No.
Play well, win games, get better, and peak in March is the desired approach.

But in the day of social media and influence, NIL and gratification, rankings matter. They are a recognized benchmark across the industry that attracts far more than talent including but not limited to, sponsors and contributors.

Being CONSISTENTLY recognized by the various powers in achieving success, especially the #1 spot, is a strategic advantage that pays for itself in ways beyond game success. Clearly, win, win often, will yield positive results. But win against strong competition that results in a team culture that overcomes adversity is HUGE. Do this consistently and the industry will recognize you.

I keep seeing that rankings don't matter. That is just silly talk and needs to stop.

But in the day of social media and influence, NIL and gratification, rankings matter. They are a recognized benchmark across the industry that attracts far more than talent including but not limited to, sponsors and contributors.

Being CONSISTENTLY recognized by the various powers in achieving success, especially the #1 spot, is a strategic advantage that pays for itself in ways beyond game success. Clearly, win, win often, will yield positive results. But win against strong competition that results in a team culture that overcomes adversity is HUGE. Do this consistently and the industry will recognize you.
And high rankings help with recruiting talent, which is expected to lead to more success.

And high rankings help with recruiting talent, which is expected to lead to more success.
Agreed! Those would be 2 huge wins. Just like we've seen in recent years, a lot of "upsets" in every conference, for the most part. I believe we will at minimum stay in the top 10 all season and likely win the BT and exposure wise, that's where we want to be.

Its nice to say we've reached #1 or been in the top 5 X years in a row or whatever as a sound bite. Since we already reached #1, the good non conference wins are what would matter, not whether we are ranked 1 or 2 or 3 in the middle of December. That is absolutely meaningless.

Reactions: Smokestack91
I doubt any of the players who signed with Purdue gave a dam about what our ratings were in December! They came to play for Painter! Attendance has never been affected by our rankings. Rankings haven’t helped our NIL giving! Rankings didn’t help Edey win college player of the year, his performance did! Our ranking sure didn’t matter when we played Northwestern! It didn’t matter when we played Marquette either! The only thing rankings in December help is your bragging rights over IU fans at the bar and trolling on their web forums! If you truly feel rankings are important, then I guess fantasy college stats are valuable too! And getting an A in thermo dynamics is really important in getting in teaching job!

Reactions: Gemini95
Its nice to say we've reached #1 or been in the top 5 X years in a row or whatever as a sound bite. Since we already reached #1, the good non conference wins are what would matter, not whether we are ranked 1 or 2 or 3 in the middle of December. That is absolutely meaningless.
Agree to disagree. Future athletes see us much more often when we are ranked highly. That can absolutely have a beneficial effect on recruiting.

Agree to disagree. Future athletes see us much more often when we are ranked highly. That can absolutely have a beneficial effect on recruiting.
Completely agree but I have no way to quantify the effect. I just have to believe that being highly ranked gets young players attention. Who doesn't like a winner and seeing them all the time?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I doubt any of the players who signed with Purdue gave a dam about what our ratings were in December! They came to play for Painter! Attendance has never been affected by our rankings. Rankings haven’t helped our NIL giving! Rankings didn’t help Edey win college player of the year, his performance did! Our ranking sure didn’t matter when we played Northwestern! It didn’t matter when we played Marquette either! The only thing rankings in December help is your bragging rights over IU fans at the bar and trolling on their web forums! If you truly feel rankings are important, then I guess fantasy college stats are valuable too! And getting an A in thermo dynamics is really important in getting in teaching job!
Did you realize you ended each sentence but one with ! ?

Teens and marketing hacks love exclamation points too.

I will add, btw, that thermo was one of the most valuable college classes I took in terms of understanding the physical world. Your messages remind me of the Second Law.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I wouldn’t bother even worrying about their ranking.

If you have followed Purdue basketball you would know December and January rankings for Purdue are totally meaningless except to give fans a warm fuzzy feeling for Christmas about how great their team is.

I feel this a common take yet I cannot totally agree, rankings this time of the year do work for us or against us come march, at then end of the day the route to a championship from a 1 seed line is significantly (and historically) easier than any other seed. Rankings throughout the year do matter and even with our recent losses in the tourney could provide us the bracket we need to make a deep run.

Too many time have a string of losses or wins bump a team in one direction or another. Get these big non conf wins now and it will pay off in seed and experience.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Did you realize you ended each sentence but one with ! ?

Teens and marketing hacks love exclamation points too.
I DONT CARE !!!! i used to use five !!!!! after every sentence. I decided to cut back. I guess you're new here and have nothing else to waste your time posting about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't use a cell phone and don't care about the length of my posts or how many characters i use. FACTOID: an ! uses the same amount of characters that a period uses.

Reactions: Woodsa
I feel this a common take yet I cannot totally agree, rankings this time of the year do work for us or against us come march, at then end of the day the route to a championship from a 1 seed line is significantly (and historically) easier than any other seed. Rankings throughout the year do matter and even with our recent losses in the tourney could provide us the bracket we need to make a deep run.

Too many time have a string of losses or wins bump a team in one direction or another. Get these big non conf wins now and it will pay off in seed and experience.
I didn't say wins are not important. I didn't say ending rankings are not important. I said rankings in December and January are not important. that goes the same for preseason rankings. Who on earth cares about preseason ratings other than a couple of purdue fans?? You truly believe when purdue is recruiting somebody they discuss their December ranking?

hey Catchings - we're #1 in November. I'm sure that had a huge impact and was weighing on his mind before he signed. And Harris waited until we were #1 before he signed. YUP, that's the way it is.

Come on people get real !!!! December rankings have absolutely no baring on recruiting. it's not like painter just started recruiting players last month. it's also not like he only recruits in November and December. the only ranking that really matters and anybody pays attention to is the ranking at the end of the tourney.

Our losses the last 3 years in the tourney had a lot more impact on our recruiting than our ratings ever did.

Do you think Bidunga and Dickinson went to Kansas because of their November and December ranking? Forget that $5 mil NIL offer, we were #1 in November. ................................... said no coach ever. here's a couple of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the poster that noticed them and felt compelled to post about them .

Reactions: Gemini95
rankings this time of the year do work for us or against us come march,
They literally do not. Rankings in March don't even work for us or against us in March.
(Assuming by "rankings" you mean polls not NET or other calculations)

I didn't say wins are not important. I didn't say ending rankings are not important. I said rankings in December and January are not important. that goes the same for preseason rankings. Who on earth cares about preseason ratings other than a couple of purdue fans?? You truly believe when purdue is recruiting somebody they discuss their December ranking?

hey Catchings - we're #1 in November. I'm sure that had a huge impact and was weighing on his mind before he signed. And Harris waited until we were #1 before he signed. YUP, that's the way it is.

Come on people get real !!!! December rankings have absolutely no baring on recruiting. it's not like painter just started recruiting players last month. it's also not like he only recruits in November and December. the only ranking that really matters and anybody pays attention to is the ranking at the end of the tourney.

Our losses the last 3 years in the tourney had a lot more impact on our recruiting than our ratings ever did.

Do you think Bidunga and Dickinson went to Kansas because of their November and December ranking? Forget that $5 mil NIL offer, we were #1 in November. ................................... said no coach ever. here's a couple of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the poster that noticed them and felt compelled to post about them .

I never referenced pre-season rankings but yes rankings do matter early/mid/late year, Kenpom, NET, EvanMiya, RPI (Unfortunately) all play a part into where we are ranked from an AP and Coaches perspective. Perception and statistics are relevant through the entirety of the year. A good point you are also bringing up is that these rankings and media perception also plays a part in scheduling for prime time games, which then leans into recruits and media getting more looks at us. It can go further than this but no need.

I'm confused as to why your response is so aggressive, I don't disagree completely with you, I just believe there is more complexity than simply "Early rankings don't matter".

Nov-Mar ankings will ALWAYS follows wins, never the other way. Purdue must win games as that is FOUNDATIONAL to everything else.

Rankings, are VERY useful for marketing, headlines, and relevance. They have NO DIRECT IMPACT on ability to play/win.

High rankings = influence through such things as recruiting and sponsors. You are just naive or ignorant if you don't think consistently ranked schools have better access to talent. This kids care what program is recruiting them as it demonstrates to them a level of achievement.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Nov-Mar ankings will ALWAYS follows wins, never the other way. Purdue must win games as that is FOUNDATIONAL to everything else.

Rankings, are VERY useful for marketing, headlines, and relevance. They have NO DIRECT IMPACT on ability to play/win.

High rankings = influence through such things as recruiting and sponsors. You are just naive or ignorant if you don't think consistently ranked schools have better access to talent. This kids care what program is recruiting them as it demonstrates to them a level of achievement.
Yep. The other impact that I didn't even think of until reading this is NIL funding. I'd wager Purdue got more NIL funds than they otherwise would have by virtue of being #1 each of the last 3 seasons, including for 7 weeks last year.

Reactions: Boiler_HD
Yep. The other impact that I didn't even think of until reading this is NIL funding. I'd wager Purdue got more NIL funds than they otherwise would have by virtue of being #1 each of the last 3 seasons, including for 7 weeks last year.
Interesting observation. I don't know much about NIL funding. High rankings and the national publicity they generate probably do help beat the bushes. But, I also wonder about the impact those disappointing NCAA Tournament flameouts.

Rankings haven’t helped our NIL giving!
What supports this statement? You don't think being ranked high by the national "experts" generates enthusiasm within the fanbase? Anyone involved in fundraising will tell you that an enthusiastic donator base gives a lot more than the alternative.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT