ADVERTISEMENT

If Houston loses today

It is ALWAYS a good day when Kansas loses.

and then it's time for a root beer, daggummit.

ku_bkc_60th_10-1lead_t420.jpg

Reactions: Zaphod_B and TX4GB
...and then they turn around and beat Virginia next weekend, we would likely be #1. That's the good news. The bad news is that our first serious test as #1 would be against...Rutgers.

When was the last #1 team that could only manage 22 pts in a half???

We might somehow get there, but this team needs to play alot harder, & even coached alot better than their last display to be a number 1 team.....or even a top 10 team. That was a pretty pedestrian display of basketball today. I know a lot say a winis a win, and they are right. But that usually is not how a #1 team plays in a win or a loss.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Not sure Purdue jumps Virginia since the Cavs are still undefeated.

I would not expect that, especially given Purdue's close victory. The points between them were pretty close however (five points in the AP poll and 9 in the coaches).....might come down to the first place votes.

Might be better for the Boilers to "lurk" at #2 ranking for a little while......totally unexpected at the start of the season - been a crazy year already, and we're just getting started. Boilers have plenty to improve upon as well.

We might somehow get there, but this team needs to play alot harder, & even coached alot better than their last display to be a number 1 team.....or even a top 10 team. That was a pretty pedestrian display of basketball today. I know a lot say a winis a win, and they are right. But that usually is not how a #1 team plays in a win or a loss.
It certainly doesn't feel like we are clicking on all cylinders. We've lost an edge on both ends of the floor with Gillis out. He brings a consistent toughness that is difficult for our young bigs to emulate. Hopefully he comes back soon.

7 unbeatens left, with their next game:

Most take the next mid-week off for Finals presumably.

Purdue vs Davidson 12/17
Utah St vs Loyola Marymount tonight
UNLV vs San Francisco 12/17
New Mexico vs Iona 12/18
Virginia vs Houston 12/17
Mississippi St @ Minnesota tomorrow
UConn @ Butler 12/17

It certainly doesn't feel like we are clicking on all cylinders. We've lost an edge on both ends of the floor with Gillis out. He brings a consistent toughness that is difficult for our young bigs to emulate. Hopefully he comes back soon.

Yep, I don't care about number 1 as much as I care about us playing like a top 5 team every night. Consistency

A contributing factor (I hope) is finals week at Purdue. First college semester for the freshmen (although it didn't seem to bothr Loyer). They will have that behind them this week and can focus on basketball.

Reactions: DrEss

I'm not saying Purdue doesn't need to play better, but I'm not sure what coaching has to do with a boatload of missed open looks. An average shooting performance and this game isn't close.

Reactions: DenverBoiler
I'm not sure what else you call it when both teams win and the lower ranked team moves ahead of the higher ranked team.

I think one could make a strong argument for any of Virginia, Purdue, or UConn. I'll agree with others that UConn (from what I have seen) has been the most impressive......they won the other tournament in Portland (the Invitational).

Also - yes, that is still "jumping," but it wouldn't necessarily be a big surprise. We'll find out soon - that is, before tomorrow. :)

I'm not saying Purdue doesn't need to play better, but I'm not sure what coaching has to do with a boatload of missed open looks. An average shooting performance and this game isn't close.

The coaching referred to CMPs low ability to confront & work referees as I pointed out elsewhere. He does say things occasionally..no doubt. But I also have seen him say nothing when it's an obvious missed call. I never have seen him get nuts about nocalls on his players where he gets T'ed up. They're killing Edey..... it's time to get after these zebras.

The coaching referred to CMPs low ability to confront & work referees as I pointed out elsewhere. He does say things occasionally..no doubt. But I also have seen him say nothing when it's an obvious missed call. I never have seen him get nuts about nocalls on his players where he gets T'ed up. They're killing Edey..... it's time to get after these zebras.

I had gone back and forth on this for awhile with Matt Painter. I do think he works the officials more than people think.....but he's not Bo Ryan or Tom Izzo effective.....that's also apparently not a style that will work for him.

He did go Paintcon One once.....what would happen if an encore occurred.....

6397657b0a143608612748.gif

Reactions: Zaphod_B and TX4GB
I had gone back and forth on this for awhile with Matt Painter. I do think he works the officials more than people think.....but he's not Bo Ryan or Tom Izzo effective.....that's also apparently not a style that will work for him.

He did go Paintcon One once.....what would happen if an encore occurred.....

6397657b0a143608612748.gif

That seems ancient. Good to know it's possible. Lol

Reactions: Zaphod_B
He is more of a diplomat and knows the system. I think what he said after the Nebraska will help us going forward. Refs will look more closely at what opposing teams are doing.
What did he say? I didn't see the presser.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT