ADVERTISEMENT

I think we need a new

gelesen

Sophomore
Feb 5, 2003
Forum just for the negative nancy's that freak out anytime we lose a basketball game. The discussions on this board are ridiculous and based only on irrational emotions and no facts. For example Villanova lost to UM 73-46( at home) and UNC 84-67, but our loss somehow is different than those. I'm surprised no one has suggested CMP take the redshirt off Dowuona and start him the next game. Surely he's the answer but CMP is to stubborn to do that. And last year we averaged 3 points per game less than Duke, I mean who wants to play for a team with such a slow down offense......with a separate forum the sane fans could have reasonable discussions.

Reactions: BBG and mathboy
Forum just for the negative nancy's that freak out anytime we lose a basketball game. The discussions on this board are ridiculous and based only on irrational emotions and no facts. For example Villanova lost to UM 73-46( at home) and UNC 84-67, but our loss somehow is different than those. I'm surprised no one has suggested CMP take the redshirt off Dowuona and start him the next game. Surely he's the answer but CMP is to stubborn to do that. And last year we averaged 3 points per game less than Duke, I mean who wants to play for a team with such a slow down offense......with a separate forum the sane fans could have reasonable discussions.

Look at the roster. Says it all

I don't think anyone is being insane in their criticisms. This is what a fan message board is for. Some people think close losses to 2 ranked teams and a blowout to another isn't a reason to panic. Some people do. And everyone has a different definition of "panic." But it seems like most people are at least being civil.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I'm sure the Villanova and UNC fans werent too pleased with the beat downs either.

Again with the Michigan beat Villanova and UNC so it shouldn't matter to Purdue fans line? You seriously don't see any differences between the teams and the impacts of each of their losses? Villanova is NOT the same team that beat Michigan in last year's CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, they put 4 underclassmen into the NBA. I'll ask again, do you think winning 2 NCs in 3 years (one being over Michigan and by the way the winner in that other year was UNC) might take a little sting out of a blowout loss before Thanksgiving this season? Not to mention that Villanova and UNC have the resumes to shake off that loss and they will have plenty of opportunities to get "quality wins" in their respective conferences. Michigan is in our conference, so not only does that loss hurt Purdue's standing in conference, it's a missed opportunity at a quality road win which will affect if Purdue even makes the tournament and if they're lucky enough to do so, it'll be as a much lower seed. That's not even taking into consideration that Michigan has already poached very talented kids out of Indiana already and blowing out Purdue can only benefit Beilein's already stellar recruiting pitch that includes final fours and big ten championships.

I do remember reading a post about removing the redshirt from dow. Can't remember which one but it's out there.

Don't be so dismissive of the other side though. It's ok to disagree. Both sides have valid points and concerns.

At the end of the day we all want Purdue to win (trolls excluded).

Sometimes it's not the loss that upsets people but the way they lost. Most people here have very good memories. And we're sick and tired of not being able to close out games. We're sick and tired of players missing clutch free throws that cost us games. We're not happy with selfish play. And when we see it happen continuously, we comment and seek a fix action.

I believe most people would accept and expect the losses to FSU and Michigan, just not the way we lost them.

It's like Green Bay. As fans, we can accept losing but not at Lambeau and not to a low life Arizona team when we needed the win. Losing at Lambeau is unacceptable.

Its not the loss, but rather we don't see previous faults pointed out being fixed. Ever take a test twice and make the same mistakes? I never did.

Sometimes it's not the loss that upsets people but the way they lost. Most people here have very good memories. And we're sick and tired of not being able to close out games. We're sick and tired of players missing clutch free throws that cost us games. We're not happy with selfish play. And when we see it happen continuously, we comment and seek a fix action.

I believe most people would accept and expect the losses to FSU and Michigan, just not the way we lost them.

It's like Green Bay. As fans, we can accept losing but not at Lambeau and not to a low life Arizona team when we needed the win. Losing at Lambeau is unacceptable.

Its not the loss, but rather we don't see previous faults pointed out being fixed. Ever take a test twice and make the same mistakes? I never did.
"sick and tired of missed clutch free throws" but do we remember the clutch free throws made like last year when Carsen made two to seal the win at Maryland. That's my point some on here just remember the negatives.

Reactions: BBG and PU pit bull
Again with the Michigan beat Villanova and UNC so it shouldn't matter to Purdue fans line? You seriously don't see any differences between the teams and the impacts of each of their losses? Villanova is NOT the same team that beat Michigan in last year's CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, they put 4 underclassmen into the NBA. I'll ask again, do you think winning 2 NCs in 3 years (one being over Michigan and by the way the winner in that other year was UNC) might take a little sting out of a blowout loss before Thanksgiving this season? Not to mention that Villanova and UNC have the resumes to shake off that loss and they will have plenty of opportunities to get "quality wins" in their respective conferences. Michigan is in our conference, so not only does that loss hurt Purdue's standing in conference, it's a missed opportunity at a quality road win which will affect if Purdue even makes the tournament and if they're lucky enough to do so, it'll be as a much lower seed. That's not even taking into consideration that Michigan has already poached very talented kids out of Indiana already and blowing out Purdue can only benefit Beilein's already stellar recruiting pitch that includes final fours and big ten championships.
We're not the same team that won 30 games last year either. With 7 ranked teams we have plenty of chances for quality wins yet. Nobody, nobody wins every road game in the conference. Win the home games and play .500 on the road and you'll be in the top 2 or 3. Last year when we lost 2 in a row I seem to recall fans wondering if we've make the tourney. A lot of basketball yet to be played this season.

Reactions: BBG
I understand the "a lot of basketball to be played" argument, but I just think the frustration of watching Purdue not win "big games" has come to a boil again. I honestly believe that it's actually carried over from last year. We had a good, really good, team last year and yes, they lost some early games to UT and WKU but came back and dominated a solid Arizona team with NBA talent on it and went on a big win streak. Then what happened? In a key 3 game stretch, Purdue seemingly choked away the OSU game at Mackey, lost a close one at MSU, and then inexplicably laid an egg against a very beatable Wisconsin team in Madison costing themselves a share of the regular season title. They made the BTT finals but lost. Then another sweet 16 flameout. The feeling of knowing that this year might have ups and downs made walking away from last year with no hardware that much more frustrating. So, as we watched them choke away two winnable games against ranked opponents late and get blown out by Michigan, there's going to be some people who aren't happy about the same old Purdue song and dance. Couple that with the Indy media pushing the "IU is back" narrative and some bitter recruiting losses leading into this season and is it any real wonder that some Purdue fans are upset? I don't think it's unreasonable at all. It's part of being a fan.

Posters creating threads complaining, about people complaining, have a special place in my heart.

But you're still making up story lines. Show me a stat that Purdue loses more close games than a typical team.

We won 8 games by 5 points or less last year. And quite frankly, we weren't even in a lot of close games because we played so well. Half of the games Michigan lost last year were by under 4 points - does that mean they can't win close games?

Purdue also rarely loses by double digits. I think that's a credit to the team, no? 3 of Michigan State's 5 loses were by 7+ points last year. Only 2 of Purdue's 7 losses last year were by 7 points or more.

So it's like you're punishing them more because they lost a close game in the last seconds instead of just being down by 10 with a minute left and saying oh well!

Show me evidence that Purdue "loses more close games" than a typical team. Otherwise, you're just choosing to remember close losses. Every team has them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT