ADVERTISEMENT

I nominate Michigan and OSU to pay for ...

BoilerBonz

Senior
Sep 5, 2002
upgrading the visiting locker room facilities for the other schools in the B1G. Both athletic departments have more money than they know what to do with, as evidenced by their coaches' salaries and facilities, and it's mainly as a result of 40+ years of running their football programs as nothing more than minor league NFL franchises. For decades they used the advantages they built to crush the life out of the rest of conference and nearly bankrupt the athletic departments of several B1G schools. So if Harbaugh and Meyer want the same lavish accommodations on the road, that their future NFL prospects get at home, then let them pay for it. I suggest UM and O$U start by deducting a $1M donation from their respective salaries.

Reactions: Inspector100
Um...what? How is it their fault that we didn't invest in facilities? Our ADs didn't invest in athletics, and as a result we fell behind...that's not anyone's fault but ours. TBH the X-ray thing is dumb, if there is one in the building next door you don't need one in the freaking locker room, but your argument still makes no sense.

Reactions: damphousse25
upgrading the visiting locker room facilities for the other schools in the B1G. Both athletic departments have more money than they know what to do with, as evidenced by their coaches' salaries and facilities, and it's mainly as a result of 40+ years of running their football programs as nothing more than minor league NFL franchises. For decades they used the advantages they built to crush the life out of the rest of conference and nearly bankrupt the athletic departments of several B1G schools. So if Harbaugh and Meyer want the same lavish accommodations on the road, that their future NFL prospects get at home, then let them pay for it. I suggest UM and O$U start by deducting a $1M donation from their respective salaries.
dumbest thing i have ever heard. lavish? how about d-1 quality. stop taking it so personal.

To a certain degree they have. I don't think Purdue would have generated 53 million in revenue without teams like UM, OSU and PSU in the BIG.
I question Harbaugh's beef though. Maybe it's because it took his team 3+ quarters to put an overmatched Purdue team away.
Even though Purdue lost, Harbaugh got out coached.

dumbest thing i have ever heard. lavish? how about d-1 quality. stop taking it so personal.

Why is it we never heard a complaint about this until Harbaugh showed up? I don't suppose his tastes have become rather expensive with his $7M salary and the luxury UM's facilities?

Regardless, obviously (?), I was being facetious -- stop taking it so serious.

Last edited:
Um...what? How is it their fault that we didn't invest in facilities? Our ADs didn't invest in athletics, and as a result we fell behind...that's not anyone's fault but ours. TBH the X-ray thing is dumb, if there is one in the building next door you don't need one in the freaking locker room, but your argument still makes no sense.

Prior to the BTN money, we didn't invest in football because we -- like most of the B1G other than UM, OSU, PSU and Nebraska -- didn't have the money! Of course, PU compounded this disadvantage by prioritizing the rebuilding of outdated non-revenue sport facilities over football, but ask yourself, why were those non-revenue sport facilities so bad? Because for years we didn't have the money to keep up since the primary source, prior to the BTN, was the football gate. Now, one can say Morgan should have keep up with football and ignored the non-revenue facilities, but I'm sure UM and OSU's non-revenue coaches would have complained about that too.

Still, the larger issue is how the parity that once existed in B1G football through the late 1960s was ended by OSU and UM's complete domination, beginning in the 70s. From 1959 to 1969, every school in the B1G went to the Rose Bowl at least once, with the exception of Northwestern. This parity keep all the football programs and thus the athletic department budgets relatively healthy. But by the late 60s, UM and OSU began an arms race in facilities and salaries that no one else in the B1G could compete with, at the time. From 1969 to 1981, only two schools represented the B1G in the Rose Bowl: UM and OSU. This seriously damaged the football programs of the other B1G schools, and thus their athletic department budgets, for decades to come. This is why Purdue's non-revenue sport facilities got so bad. And the "little 8" (as we used to refer to B1G sans UM and OSU) is still recovering from this, given we haven't had the BTN money so long that all could be repaired. The other legacy of UM and OSU's domination, that began in the 70s, is the recruiting advantages they both still enjoy to this day as "elite" teams vis-a-vis their B1G bretheren. For all the success of Wisconsin and MSU, they still can't recruit with OSU and UM.

Regardless, my statement was made tongue-in-cheek, rather obviously, I thought.

Last edited:
To a certain degree they have. I don't think Purdue would have generated 53 million in revenue without teams like UM, OSU and PSU in the BIG.
I question Harbaugh's beef though. Maybe it's because it took his team 3+ quarters to put an overmatched Purdue team away.
Even though Purdue lost, Harbaugh got out coached.

Good point about the BTN revenue. Now that we have it, maybe the conference needs to mandate minimum standards for visiting locker rooms -- and make Iowa paint their visiting locker room a neutral color.

Last edited:
Prior to the BTN money, we didn't invest in football because we -- like most of the B1G other than UM, OSU, PSU and Nebraska -- didn't have the money! Of course, PU compounded this disadvantage by prioritizing the rebuilding of outdated non-revenue sport facilities over football, but ask yourself, why were those non-revenue sport facilities so bad? Because for years we didn't have the money to keep up since the primary source, prior to the BTN, was the football gate. Now, one can say Morgan should have keep up with football and ignored the non-revenue facilities, but I'm sure UM and OSU's non-revenue coaches would have complained about that too.

Still, the larger issue is how the parity that once existed in B1G football through the late 1960s was ended by OSU and UM's complete domination, beginning in the 70s. From 1959 to 1969, every school in the B1G went to the Rose Bowl at least once, with the exception of Northwestern. This parity keep all the football programs and thus the athletic department budgets relatively healthy. But by the late 60s, UM and OSU began an arms race in facilities and salaries that no one else in the B1G could compete with, at the time. From 1969 to 1981, only two schools represented the B1G in the Rose Bowl: UM and OSU. This seriously damaged the football programs of the other B1G schools, and thus their athletic department budgets, for decades to come. This is why Purdue's non-revenue sport facilities got so bad. And the "little 8" (as we used to refer to B1G sans UM and OSU) is still recovering from this, given we haven't had the BTN money so long that all could be repaired. The legacy of UM and OSU's domination, that began in the 70s, is the recruiting advantages they both still enjoy to this day as "elite" teams vis-a-vis their B1G bretheren. For all the success of Wisconsin and MSU, they still can't recruit with OSU and UM.

Regardless, my statement was made tongue-in-cheek, rather obviously, I thought.
Spot on. Really good point about the non revenue sport facilities. Burke and the admin took a lot of flak for investing in those, but I imagine their locker rooms were in even worse condition than football.
I also wonder how many people commenting understand that the visitor locker room is a separate building from the stadium and is likely going to be demolished in a few years with the SEZ project.

Last edited:

So I assume that the name "bone tomahawk" is an Indian reference to some sort of primitive weapon used for various things such as pounding, i.e. the use of a hammer. Well, your personally preferred name for a hammer is politically incorrect as it is a sign of prejudice towards Indian culture. The hammers used by Boilermakers world wide is the accepted politically correct method for such devices. Furthermore, statements made by you and your fan base has directed a politically incorrect and personal touch that has initiated all of this drivel. Can you take that as not so much personal?

The subject will probably be addressed now by the B1G, no doubt. But did anyone but me feel the frost coming off the B1G' official response to Harbough's complaint stating there are mechanisms within the Conference organization to address such issues....( as in Harbaugh....don't take your whining out of Conference chain of Command to the media , you *ss)?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT