ADVERTISEMENT

Loosiers To Pay $1M To Save A$$ Kicking

We know they cannot win many games in the BT, and it is going to get worse with adding USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington, so they have to make the games before the BT as easy as possible. They at least have to look like they might have a chance at a bowl each year, ie playing Indiana State this last week.

What is worse, paying a $1M to cancel a game, or, paying that much to play, and then losing the game?

What is worse, paying a $1M to cancel a game, or, paying that much to play, and then losing the game?
If you want to win recruiting battles you play. MSU and the Zags have utilized this in basketball.

If you want to win recruiting battles you play. MSU and the Zags have utilized this in basketball.
Has 30 games before the tourney and a conference tourney for an auto bid. Football has 12 games. Gotta win 6. Softening OOC games in football is going to become more common with realignment. For any B1G team, no need to have a strong OOC anymore when you've got 9 conference games and you have Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA, Iowa and Michigan State in the conference. Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Maryland, Rutgers, Nebraska, Minnesota are the bottom of the barrel now in football.

Has 30 games before the tourney and a conference tourney for an auto bid. Football has 12 games. Gotta win 6. Softening OOC games in football is going to become more common with realignment. For any B1G team, no need to have a strong OOC anymore when you've got 9 conference games and you have Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA, Iowa and Michigan State in the conference. Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Maryland, Rutgers, Nebraska, Minnesota are the bottom of the barrel now in football.
Yeah, I see that side of it. But it's still a gamble for Indiana. I have to think Louisville would be a sell out with higher ticket prices than they'll be able to charge for an FCS team. Will an FCS team attract enough fans to be worthwhile now that Indiana has to pay $1 million to Louisville and probably half that to the new opponent?

I don't buy it. This has zero reflection on playing the 9-10 in conference games. All IU did was add a reputable opponent to back out. Just go back 5 years and look who IU has played in OOC and look at Purdue. Now, move forward Purdue consistently plays teams that have won bowl games or played in one. That would be like Purdue claiming we should jump out of the ND games to add a scrub in Old Dominion...this makes zero sense.

Louisville makes the IU game watchable and brings vision for recruiting. Recruits aren't watching IU vs ISU, Old Dominion, FIU, Charlotte or whatever scrub team they'll try to add.

not a good look for them, I'm sure some of their fanbase will rationalize the move

Yeah, led by the Idiotic Star:

"A department source told IndyStar that IU intends to add a home game, likely against an FCS opponent, in 2024. The revenue from the new game is expected to cover the cancellation penalty."

And Topic Talk too. 🤡

Yeah, I see that side of it. But it's still a gamble for Indiana. I have to think Louisville would be a sell out with higher ticket prices than they'll be able to charge for an FCS team. Will an FCS team attract enough fans to be worthwhile now that Indiana has to pay $1 million to Louisville and probably half that to the new opponent?

Only if IU schedules FCS (Fowl Crap Stadium) McGEESE State! Of course Geese fans will flock to the cultural Mecca that is Bamboozle-town and outnumber IU fans 5 to 1, but the clean up expense after the game will put IU in the red. 🤣

geese-flying_formation_zpsenddei2g.jpg

With the amount of money made from the TV rights etc, won't even matter. Plus, next year's game was at Louisville. Ticket sales don't really matter. 2 years worth an Indiana State will probably be about equal to 1 game vs Louisville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT