ADVERTISEMENT

I find the vitriol on Walters a little odd

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
For a lot of reasons. I get not thinking he’s good. I always wanted him to do well for taking a job that became much worse of a job as NIL was ramping up. Thought of him as a guy who took the call when other better candidates likely never answered or laughed.

The thing that’s odd to me is that other than late hazell, I don’t remember there being this much vitriol in 26 years of following this team. Not even …

When Danny hope needed Ricardo Allen to block a field goal to save Purdue from overtime against 2-10 middle Tennessee state before losing to 4-8 rice the next week, not close.

Here’s why it’s odd as well. Here are some winning percentages excluding our big winners and hazell (who belongs in a class with Harrell and Bobby Diaco).

Akers 28.4
Walters 33.3
Coletto 34.1
Burtnett 38.4

And that’s with way way way tougher scheduling than say Danny Hope had to deal with.

Maybe some of you older guys can weigh in here. I asked a couple of Purdue fans if there was this much anger in years 2 of Akers and Coletto and the answer I got was… no. By the end maybe, but not 16 games in.

When revenue sharing starts I think the Purdue job will be more attractive. If that hasn’t happened this offseason and Walters is already fired, I think people are going to be surprised by who is actually interested. I don’t think we get 1997 Joe tiller or 2017 Jeff brohm

For a lot of reasons. I get not thinking he’s good. I always wanted him to do well for taking a job that became much worse of a job as NIL was ramping up. Thought of him as a guy who took the call when other better candidates likely never answered or laughed.

The thing that’s odd to me is that other than late hazell, I don’t remember there being this much vitriol in 26 years of following this team. Not even …

When Danny hope needed Ricardo Allen to block a field goal to save Purdue from overtime against 2-10 middle Tennessee state before losing to 4-8 rice the next week, not close.

Here’s why it’s odd as well. Here are some winning percentages excluding our big winners and hazell (who belongs in a class with Harrell and Bobby Diaco).

Akers 28.4
Walters 33.3
Coletto 34.1
Burtnett 38.4

And that’s with way way way tougher scheduling than say Danny Hope had to deal with.

Maybe some of you older guys can weigh in here. I asked a couple of Purdue fans if there was this much anger in years 2 of Akers and Coletto and the answer I got was… no. By the end maybe, but not 16 games in.

When revenue sharing starts I think the Purdue job will be more attractive. If that hasn’t happened this offseason and Walters is already fired, I think people are going to be surprised by who is actually interested. I don’t think we get 1997 Joe tiller or 2017 Jeff brohm
Not an older guy but my anger came with the blow out against ND and it seeming like the team gave up. That’s not the Purdue way. To me that is on the coach losing the locker room and instilling the drive to play for pride. I truly wanted and do still want Walters to be successful but it’s hard to see at this point.

Last edited:
Not an older guy but my anger came with the blow out against ND and it seeming like the team gave up. That’s not the Purdue way. To me that is on the coach losing the locker room and instilling the drive to play for pride. I truly wanted and do still want Walters to be successful but it’s hard to see at this point.
ND used to have Joey getherall and Carlyle holiday. Now that they are able to buy players those guys wouldn’t be backups there

This team would lose to those below average Hope coached Purdue teams by multiple TDs. I don’t think Hope was good. At the same time this coach has proven to be worse.

This team would lose to those below average Hope coached Purdue teams by multiple TDs. I don’t think Hope was good. At the same time this coach has proven to be worse.
The hope team that lost to 4-8 rice and barely beat middle Tennessee? Cause they lost to ND by a lot in the NIL era and got beat by 18 by a traditional blue blood program that can now legally buy players?

Who do you think we are getting when Walters goes? How many games do you think said coach is going to win in each of his first two years? These questions assume there is no revenue sharing. If there was, Walters never would have sniffed this job

The hope team that lost to 4-8 rice and barely beat middle Tennessee? Cause they lost to ND by a lot in the NIL era and got beat by 18 by a traditional blue blood program that can now legally buy players?

Who do you think we are getting when Walters goes? How many games do you think said coach is going to win in each of his first two years? These questions assume there is no revenue sharing. If there was, Walters never would have sniffed this job
Hopefully somebody better than Walters. If not, you move on and try again.

Your premise is that this is a good coach and no talent on this team? I think you’re very incorrect here.

We should try to be competitive instead of letting the program circle the drain with a bad coach. It’s not a talent issue. It’s a scheme, fundamentals and coaching issue. We of course have talent limitations but we also have a coach who has done nothing in 16 games to bridge that gap.

Reactions: BBG
Hopefully somebody better than Walters. If not, you move on and try again.

Your premise is that this is a good coach and no talent on this team? I think you’re very incorrect here.

We should try to be competitive instead of letting the program circle the drain with a bad coach. It’s not a talent issue. It’s a scheme, fundamentals and coaching issue. We of course have talent limitations but we also have a coach who has done nothing in 16 games to bridge that gap.
No. My premise is that this is a coach I like for having the balls to take this job when many coaches likely hung up the phone. He wasn’t ready. Bobinski also didn’t demand he have older former head coaches on staff or someone who had called a college offense other than Harrell? He hired the wrong OC which is on him.

If some g5 up and cover had come here, said coach would have also been hampered by brohm doing a piss poor job with several units and really no longer recruiting after 19.

There is little talent on this team team that isn’t 19 or 18. Like Tom said when pressed by Brian (which transfers are actually good) “really just Reggie love.”

Had a top g5 guy taken the job, had Walters hired an average OC or had Jeff brohm left behind anything resembling the roster Joe tiller put together after 6 years, Purdue is probably 7-6 last year and 2-3 now.

If they fire Walters tomorrow I could care less dude

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18

Akers 28.4
Walters 33.3
Coletto 34.1
Burtnett 38.4

I do remember a lot of anger early on in the Hope days similar to what we have now. The reason being in both cases that we had a taste of success, and failed to build on it by hiring a competent head coach. Akers and Coletto were before my time too, but I think there was less anger in those days because we hadn't really had that taste of success that we had with Tiller and with Brohm.

Reactions: z_one
I do remember a lot of anger early on in the Hope days similar to what we have now. The reason being in both cases that we had a taste of success, and failed to build on it by hiring a competent head coach. Akers and Coletto were before my time too, but I think there was less anger in those days because we hadn't really had that taste of success that we had with Tiller and with Brohm.
I don’t remember it being anything close. People thought he was a cheap hire and a lot of people wanted Brock spack. It wasn’t like this. On3 is a tough read right now. And some of the people saying that are posters that were here in 2003..

Akers 28.4
Walters 33.3
Coletto 34.1
Burtnett 38.4

The difference between the 1990s (or earlier) and today? Social media and message boards. Its so much easier to raise your voice to the masses and think you're the only one that has the answers, even if there are no answers.

No comparison to the past. Teams do not have time to start over every 4/5 years especially since your players can walk away or be poached at a moments notice. Giving a coach some time (which is admirable) should include seeing improvement over that time.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
I’ve been here since the Hope days and when this forum started back on the grid iron days

Some of the posters here are very unrealistic about their expectations of the team and are very negative towards the coaches and the fans who disagree with their viewpoints - especially the so called experts on this forum

Many times I have posted I know literally nothing but I am as accurate as the so called experts. I don’t have to name names. It will soon become obvious. They claim I post a lot, but for every one of my posts, they will post 5-10 times with their harrasing insults and name calling.

I was once banned because I was supposedly too critical of our recruits being the caliber of Mac recruits. I was just saying the same things the national recruiting analysts were saying. But the experts don’t like national objective analysis. The facts were when looking at the offers the Purdue recruits received the only other offers they had received were from MAC teams and teams like WKU and Marshall. I posed the question if other big 10 teams were not interested in wasting their time recruiting these players, why should Purdue? I also posed the question if a team like Iowa or northwestern or Wisconsin is recruiting a player, why isn’t Purdue? If we want to beat other big 10 teams, shouldn’t we be recruiting the same caliber of players as other big 10 teams recruit? We’re not going to beat teams like ucla, Washington and Nebraska if we don’t recruit the same caliber of player.

Many people don’t like my comments because they are too long. But if they were from Brian in one of his columns you’d say they are spot on!

Recruiting has improved during the Brohm and Walters eras, but the position priorities needs to be changed. Instead of recruiting 4/5 star QBs and DBs, Purdue needs to start signing 4/5 star lineman. Purdue is finally starting to pass on the 240 pound lineman with hopes they will gain 50-60 pound by redshirting. That idea never really worked. Purdue needs to stop all of the elite Indiana linemen going to out of state schools like Iowa. Purdue needs to ask themselves what does Iowa have that Purdue doesn’t. It’s not NIL. It’s not about the money. Some of it is about winning. Iowa has a great offensive line coach and also produces NFL caliber players.

As I said, I don’t know a whole lot about football. But there are things so obvious that even I can see them. And unlike the majority of the so called experts that post here, The national analysts actually get paid to evaluate players and teams. They are objective, critical and usually a lot more accurate than the people who post here.

As for the language people use here, they take their cue from people in charge. If it’s ok for people in charge to use foul language, bully and harass others, name call and sexually abuse others with absolutely no consequences, why should people who post here be any different than their idol? When it comes to viterol and abusive language. The off topic forum is a lot worse and should be shut down. It serves no purpose other than for people to argue with each other.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
No comparison to the past. Teams do not have time to start over every 4/5 years especially since your players can walk away or be poached at a moments notice. Giving a coach some time (which is admirable) should include seeing improvement over that time.
Defense is improving. Offense was a dumpster fire. Some of that definitely on the OC so losing him will be interesting to see what happens.

I agree with BC. The vitriol is over the top.

Let's recap what Walters walked into:

1. A team with not a lot of talent
2. An administration unwilling to pay much for coaches or players.
3. NIL turning into basically pay for play, which makes 2 even tougher plus completely open transfer portal.
4. Back to back ridiculously hard schedules.

Does that make Walters a good coach? Nope. Does that mean he is ready? Nope. Does that mean he doesn't get fired? Nope.

Does that mean the level of vitriol is wildly insane? Yep. Hazell had worse teams, with more talent, better schedules, no portal, no NIL, and I believe more experienced coaches. And I don't think even he got this level until year 3.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler

Akers 28.4
Walters 33.3
Coletto 34.1
Burtnett 38.4

I get where you're coming from, BC.

I think the animosity comes from how quickly this season imploded. That loss to ND was a historic bad beatdown, and then Purdue responded by scoring 24 points over the next 8 quarters that weren't garbage time. I mean, YIKES!

I understand people saying Walters is underqualified and in over his head. Both are probably true. I keep reminding myself that he was nobody's first choice. I have no idea how many people turned Purdue down--either directly or tacitly--but I suspect it was several. Probably more than we'll ever realize. I can't imagine Bobinski (or any other AD) would turn to a green coordinator with no head coaching experience unless he was running out of options.

I hope we'll see a spark on Saturday. I can still get behind Walters if he can right the ship and at least move Purdue in a productive direction the rest of this year. It's just hard to see that happening at this point---especially against an opponent that has habitually cleaned Purdue's clock for twenty years.

I agree that the schedule is daunting. Not an excuse, just a reality.

Defense is improving. Offense was a dumpster fire. Some of that definitely on the OC so losing him will be interesting to see what happens.

3. NIL turning into basically pay for play, which makes 2 even tougher plus completely open transfer portal.

Does that make Walters a good coach? Nope. Does that mean he is ready? Nope. Does that mean he doesn't get fired? Nope.

Does that mean the level of vitriol is wildly insane? Yep. Hazell had worse teams, with more talent, better schedules, no portal, no NIL, and I believe more experienced coaches. And I don't think even he got this level until year 3.
100%!

4 on top of everything else. Joe tiller played 6 teams without a winning record in 1998.

It is pay for play. And unless you have a billionaire donor or you cheated for decades, you need revenue sharing to get here.

And once it’s here, I doubt we will have Ryan Walters coaching here.

The defense is improving. Walters may not get time to see it through because of who he hired on offense though.

I think Walter’s is a good guy that was a terrible hire, I blame the AD for this mess, it is a mess, best to get out of it quick, quicker the better. We’re looking at a 1-11 maybe 2-10 season, our rival down South made a good hire, Purdue needs to counter that or be fine with drubbings from the Hoosiers.

Reactions: pboiler18
I get where you're coming from, BC.

I think the animosity comes from how quickly this season imploded. That loss to ND was a historic bad beatdown, and then Purdue responded by scoring 24 points over the next 8 quarters that weren't garbage time. I mean, YIKES!

I understand people saying Walters is underqualified and in over his head. Both are probably true. I keep reminding myself that he was nobody's first choice. I have no idea how many people turned Purdue down--either directly or tacitly--but I suspect it was several. Probably more than we'll ever realize. I can't imagine Bobinski (or any other AD) would turn to a green coordinator with no head coaching experience unless he was running out of options.

I hope we'll see a spark on Saturday. I can still get behind Walters if he can right the ship and at least move Purdue in a productive direction the rest of this year. It's just hard to see that happening at this point---especially against an opponent that has habitually cleaned Purdue's clock for twenty years.

I agree that the schedule is daunting. Not an excuse, just a reality.
Walters hasn’t done well. Anyone saying so would be foolish at this point.

We don’t have time to get New Mexico game film and scout DJ Wingfield, which is why I default to pff.

If you looked at the grades of our incoming transfers and the team before Walters arrived, and then you consider that ND can buy their roster 85 deep, the ND game wasn’t as far fetched as many thought. I saw them getting blown out as a big possibility

Jeffrey mba is grading at 63.1. Not great. But he was 47.9 last year and 55 on just 82 snaps at auburn. Purdue is getting guys looking for an opportunity. If we hire a coach people really want this offseason, I think a lot more people might come to terms with a lot next year

Hazell never had a historic loss where CRW has. All the excuses in the world can be made for CRW and comparing him to Hazell, but at this point it is warranted until he proves otherwise.

And to be CLEAR I have said several times I hope he proves us all wrong, I truly do, but right now .. even going back to last year really.. there is zero evidence to suggest it is going to happen.

The other thing that adds fuel to the fire is the sheer undisciplined nature of the team. What nearly 200 yards in penalties against Nebraska including SIX PIs? That is on the head coach and is a serious regression really as things are just getting worse.

And while sure the comparison to Hazell isn't an exact one for one.. the aura is the same and with the team barely even competing, the comparison is going to continue.

Last edited:

Akers 28.4
Walters 33.3
Coletto 34.1
Burtnett 38.4

I am for one not angry to have Walter’s. I have always wanted his success. Getting rid of Harrell was a great move. I unlike others am looking forward to our new play caller. It for sure could not be worse.
Purdue has always been cheap and expecting more than they are willing to pay for. I personally question their business strategy when it comes to football. They need to invest more into the cash cow and not rape it like they have over the years. Walter’s should have at least 3 to 6 million dollars to get the best OC available. So here we are a BIG Ten school with a high school OC (whom I believe will be better than Harrell). To be honest with the money coming in from the BIG Ten Walter’s should not have had to cut his pay to come up with a million dollars a year for Harrell he should have instead had much more available to hire the best OC out there. The real fault is with Purdue’s investment strategy for their cash cow.

Why do people here consistently spell his name "Walter's"? Damn it's bugging the hell out of me. I can understand some auto-correct, but Carsen and Aidan both texted me and they're really pissed off about it.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18 and BBG
Hazell never had a historic loss where CRW has. All the excuses in the world can be made for CRW and comparing him to Hazell, but at this point it is warranted until he proves otherwise.

And to be CLEAR I have said several times I hope he proves us all wrong, I truly do, but right now .. even going back to last year really.. there is zero evidence to suggest it is going to happen.

The other thing that adds fuel to the fire is the sheer undisciplined nature of the team. What nearly 200 yards in penalties against Nebraska including SIX PIs? That is on the head coach and is a serious regression really as things are just getting worse.

And while sure the comparison to Hazell isn't an exact one for one.. the aura is the same and with the team barely even competing, the comparison is going to continue.
Hazell almost lost to ISU what are you even talking about?

Hazell almost lost to ISU what are you even talking about?
Pretty easy to agree they both suck.

I think this team is broken and fairly easily fixed to at least be competitive. The D still sucks but made huge strides last week. The offense can make that leap of improvement too IMo…but I think that doesn’t make us any more competitive with anybody with a pulse.

Pretty easy to agree they both suck.

I think this team is broken and fairly easily fixed to at least be competitive. The D still sucks but made huge strides last week. The offense can make that leap of improvement too IMo…but I think that doesn’t make us any more competitive with anybody with a pulse.
They both suck. Walters is closer to Colette than anyone

The only thing that is going to make us competitive is an easier schedule and revenue sharing. Like nat100 said, Purdue has dorks, not sharks.

Why do people here consistently spell his name "Walter's"? Damn it's bugging the hell out of me. I can understand some auto-correct, but Carsen and Aidan both texted me and they're really pissed off about it.
or Jacobson on the B Ball board

What is your definition of vitriol? The team has regressed significantly since the end of last season and looks lost on the field. Do you expect there not to be criticism? Not to be calls for him to be fired?

I'm not suggesting that he be fired at this point. But the performance of the team to date has been unacceptable based on any level of talent they might or might not have.

What is your definition of vitriol? The team has regressed significantly since the end of last season and looks lost on the field. Do you expect there not to be criticism? Not to be calls for him to be fired?

I'm not suggesting that he be fired at this point. But the performance of the team to date has been unacceptable based on any level of talent they might or might not have.
He needs a little win 3 more games or he should be.

I think the offense looks lost because Harrell is awful. The defense has made strides and if they had Scourton I think they would have been very good last Saturday. Swapping Jefferson in, moving Thienemann up and Stevens being out helped shore up a lot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT