ADVERTISEMENT

I find the vitriol on Walters a little odd

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
For a lot of reasons. I get not thinking he’s good. I always wanted him to do well for taking a job that became much worse of a job as NIL was ramping up. Thought of him as a guy who took the call when other better candidates likely never answered or laughed.

The thing that’s odd to me is that other than late hazell, I don’t remember there being this much vitriol in 26 years of following this team. Not even …

When Danny hope needed Ricardo Allen to block a field goal to save Purdue from overtime against 2-10 middle Tennessee state before losing to 4-8 rice the next week, not close.

Here’s why it’s odd as well. Here are some winning percentages excluding our big winners and hazell (who belongs in a class with Harrell and Bobby Diaco).

Akers 28.4
Walters 33.3
Coletto 34.1
Burtnett 38.4

And that’s with way way way tougher scheduling than say Danny Hope had to deal with.

Maybe some of you older guys can weigh in here. I asked a couple of Purdue fans if there was this much anger in years 2 of Akers and Coletto and the answer I got was… no. By the end maybe, but not 16 games in.

When revenue sharing starts I think the Purdue job will be more attractive. If that hasn’t happened this offseason and Walters is already fired, I think people are going to be surprised by who is actually interested. I don’t think we get 1997 Joe tiller or 2017 Jeff brohm

For a lot of reasons. I get not thinking he’s good. I always wanted him to do well for taking a job that became much worse of a job as NIL was ramping up. Thought of him as a guy who took the call when other better candidates likely never answered or laughed.

The thing that’s odd to me is that other than late hazell, I don’t remember there being this much vitriol in 26 years of following this team. Not even …

When Danny hope needed Ricardo Allen to block a field goal to save Purdue from overtime against 2-10 middle Tennessee state before losing to 4-8 rice the next week, not close.

Here’s why it’s odd as well. Here are some winning percentages excluding our big winners and hazell (who belongs in a class with Harrell and Bobby Diaco).

Akers 28.4
Walters 33.3
Coletto 34.1
Burtnett 38.4

And that’s with way way way tougher scheduling than say Danny Hope had to deal with.

Maybe some of you older guys can weigh in here. I asked a couple of Purdue fans if there was this much anger in years 2 of Akers and Coletto and the answer I got was… no. By the end maybe, but not 16 games in.

When revenue sharing starts I think the Purdue job will be more attractive. If that hasn’t happened this offseason and Walters is already fired, I think people are going to be surprised by who is actually interested. I don’t think we get 1997 Joe tiller or 2017 Jeff brohm
Not an older guy but my anger came with the blow out against ND and it seeming like the team gave up. That’s not the Purdue way. To me that is on the coach losing the locker room and instilling the drive to play for pride. I truly wanted and do still want Walters to be successful but it’s hard to see at this point.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT