ADVERTISEMENT

I did think of one advantage of rotating QBs

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Maybe it was just my perception but I thought the overall QB play was better overall in the Iowa game.

Much of that had to do with the great job by the Oline and receivers.

However, there is an advantage for a QB to come out of the game to:
• Observe in real-time what Iowa is doing
• Talk to coaches or players
• Discuss what you need to do when you go in
• Get back into the game and execute
• Repeat

I am in no way saying our QBs are there yet but their play on Saturday was impressive. So having the opportunity to come out for a play or two to think, learn, tweak, and go back in to implement would be an advantage.

Maybe it was just my perception but I thought the overall QB play was better overall in the Iowa game.

• Repeat

I am in no way saying our QBs are there yet but their play on Saturday was impressive. So having the opportunity to come out for a play or two to think, learn, tweak, and go back in to implement would be an advantage.
Great assessment. I think this year we have to play QB by committee. I hate it, but each one has skills the others don't.

If it works, then for this season so be it and it certainly worked saturday.

It's really only a change of pace for 3-4 plays at most in most cases, so it's not a true rotation. AOC is the guy.

But like Woodsa said, it's a way for some in-game coaching (without taking a timeout). If you have the QB depth, it seems like a good idea to me.

I can think of a few more advantages. Simply giving the opposing kids playing defense more to think about, for starters. Wait.. which QB is in the game now? How am I supposed to adjust?

If I'm on defense and seeing the pattern Aidan = pass, Jack/Austin = run, then I am naturally more susceptible to a run by Aidan or pass by Jack/Austin. Boom, 6 yard TD run by #16 out of nowhere.

Plus, Jack and Austin both took some big hits on their run plays. One or 2 big hits, no big deal. Several big hits, your QB is out of the game. Spread the love :)

I can think of a few more advantages. Simply giving the opposing kids playing defense more to think about, for starters. Wait.. which QB is in the game now? How am I supposed to adjust?

If I'm on defense and seeing the pattern Aidan = pass, Jack/Austin = run, then I am naturally more susceptible to a run by Aidan or pass by Jack/Austin. Boom, 6 yard TD run by #16 out of nowhere.

Plus, Jack and Austin both took some big hits on their run plays. One or 2 big hits, no big deal. Several big hits, your QB is out of the game. Spread the love :)
Agree with this. I see the primary benefit of this is it doesn't allow a defense to settle into one way of playing to counter the strengths/weaknesses of one specific quarterback. Like you said, their players have to think about which quarterback is in and how their assignments might differ based on that.

Reactions: purduepat1969

• Repeat

It’s beyond that or something that rubes are into ..

You run plummer out there with fresh legs over and over on designed QB runs.. then suddenly on a 2nd and 5 from the 45.. you just run a standard pass play that he’s run a ton of times.. you hit the play for a big play and now opposing DCs don’t know what to do

One thing I think the running QBs did (including AOCs TD run) is keep Iowa’s LBs from blitzing as much. They had to stay back to “hawk” any QB runs, essentially neutralizing any successful blitzing schemes.

Iowa generated little pass rush and the few times Iowa did blitz, it was picked up by the OL/blockers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT