ADVERTISEMENT

I Am Not Sure of This Statement In Today's Press Conference

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
From Brohm's press conference today, the following quote was made by Coach Brohm.

“I do like the fact that our guys have been playing hard,” said Brohm. “They have been practicing well. We have had a chance in every game to win, but we didn't done all -- all of us haven't done our part to the level that we need to in order to win close football games. Those are the things you've got to learn from, you've got to identify them. You can't shy away from them. You can't hide from them and we've got to continue to fight through it.”

I am not sure I agree with the first quote of the guys have been playing hard. I think some of the guys did play hard against Nebraska. However, in my opinion, it did not look like all players played hard. It looked like some players did not appear to be happy and did not want to be even out there. Curious if others felt the same way from what they saw from that game.

Reactions: DAG10 and Level 42
I don't think they played hard, but like Level said, it was a diplomatic answer, which CJB is getting very good at these days.

They did not come out of the gate with any fire. None. I'm still amazed that they made a game of it.

Reactions: DAG10
I don't think they played hard, but like Level said, it was a diplomatic answer, which CJB is getting very good at these days.

They did not come out of the gate with any fire. None. I'm still amazed that they made a game of it.
At the beginning of the season I made the comment to some friends that IMO the lack of fans would affect some programs more than others. If you are loaded with talent, talent will win out. If you are good but playing a team that may be better, that 12th man is the difference between a win and a loss. OSU has pretty much borne that out, although Michigan and PSU have not, with IU the outlier on the other end of the spectrum. Then again, maybe some of those top players DO need the energy of the crowd for them to play their best.

I think all players play their best in front of a crowd where their efforts will be noticed and appreciated.
Interesting to note they once asked Bob Knight if he had his way, how would the game be played. He responded "In a closed gym, with just the 2 teams, coaches and officials." Too bad he's not still coaching, he finally got what he wanted!

We'll know the end is near when Brohm replies to questions that "I'll need to see the tape first."
He came real close to that following Saturday's game a couple of different times...to the point that it is what came to mind in reading what he had said.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
From Brohm's press conference today, the following quote was made by Coach Brohm.

“I do like the fact that our guys have been playing hard,” said Brohm. “They have been practicing well. We have had a chance in every game to win, but we didn't done all -- all of us haven't done our part to the level that we need to in order to win close football games. Those are the things you've got to learn from, you've got to identify them. You can't shy away from them. You can't hide from them and we've got to continue to fight through it.”

I am not sure I agree with the first quote of the guys have been playing hard. I think some of the guys did play hard against Nebraska. However, in my opinion, it did not look like all players played hard. It looked like some players did not appear to be happy and did not want to be even out there. Curious if others felt the same way from what they saw from that game.
He is trying to find SOMETHING to be positive about ,and, even if it is not true, there is not much else to turn to...when you can't win games, you always hear coaches talk about effort and preparation...it is all that they have.

It is no different than his comment (that he has also made a couple of other times) about the three phases of the game taking turns being good rather than all three being aligned and good at the same time...that is not even close to true, as, the only phase that has even at times been good is the offense.

The mere fact that Biagi is still there today is a problem...think about the fact that you had two players in recent weeks apologize publicly despite not needing to by any means, yet, the ST are lousy each and every week and you have not heard a word from him.

He talks about "trying to win a game" or "keep working and finishing things out" as if those are not supposed to be givens...within any legitimate program.

Listen to the things that he says today opposed to when he arrived...starkly different...and, concerning admittedly, at least to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inspector100
He is trying to find SOMETHING to be positive about ,and, even if it is not true, there is not much else to turn to...when you can't win games, you always hear coaches talk about effort and preparation...it is all that they have.

It is no different than his comment (that he has also made a couple of other times) about the three phases of the game taking turns being good rather than all three being aligned and good at the same time...that is not even close to true, as, the only phased that has even at times been good is the offense.

The mere fact that Biagi is still there today is a problem...

He talks about "trying to win a game" or "keep working and finishing things out" as if those are not supposed to be givens...within any legitimate program.

Listen to the things that he says today opposed to when he arrived...starkly different...and, concerning admittedly, at least to me.
Trying to figure out why Biagi and Diaco are there as well. I don't like to fire people just to be firing again, but Special Teams and Defense have been a BIG let down upon the MN loss and after. Giving them their walking papers now serves to let Purdue get a jump on would be very good candidates and will allow the new candidates to comb thru Grad Transfer market to get some mature men that want to play before looking at the transfer portal that might be diluted with players that might be a crap shoot if they are more of a miss than hit.
Breath some fresh air into our program as it has stunk up for a month now. If either or both remain, it will be a head scratcher.
I did a quick search moments ago and see the LOI early signing for football is 12/18 thru 12/20. That might keep a coach or two on thru that date (think LB....YK).

They were both coming off of good seasons. Remind you of the former head coach I won't mention?

I always assumed Diaco was selected at DC, because Poindexter made or influenced the decision. Both Diaco and Poindexter have a Virginia connection. Pointexter was also the DC for Diaco at UConn.

Reactions: DAG10

i thought they played hard. They were buried 5 minutes in and fought back to make it a game. now smart...they did not play smart.

i thought they played hard. They were buried 5 minutes in and fought back to make it a game. now smart...they did not play smart.
If they had played the first 5 minutes more as they did the majority of the remaining 55, they would not have been buried as they were...that team was not ready to play at the outset, to the point that the single greatest and myopic "homer" in all of college sports doing the Purdue game on the radio lamented just that...that they just were not ready to play...on the heels of what had happened the week prior, that just can't happen, and, that it did, is a failure on the part of the staff far more so than on the part of the players.

I always assumed Diaco was selected at DC, because Poindexter made or influenced the decision. Both Diaco and Poindexter have a Virginia connection. Pointexter was also the DC for Diaco at UConn.
If it weren't for Diaco being so bad, there would be calls to look more closely at/into Poindexter, as his group has underachieved and underperformed yet again as well...and, it was a member of his group that committed the most egregious and inept penalty on Saturday that definitely impacted the outcome of the game.

There is little doubt that he influenced the decision...there should be doubt around the weight of his influence...because of his group's shortcomings, but more in light of the hire made.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I feel the players are playing hard, maybe a few are playing that shouldn't be, but when Defense doesn't know what they are supposed to be doing, they are gonna look bad , I still feel the O Line should be a lot better, but it seems no one questions the O Line coach . Purdue has good athletes, but its 11 players that gotta play on same page , especially on Defense. On Offense the Line this year is the key.

I'm completely unimpressed by Poindexter, other than maybe recruiting. His secondary unit is really, really bad and continues to regress. Quite honestly, he needs as much scrutiny as Diaco is getting.

Reactions: Inspector100
They were buried 5 minutes in because they didn't play hard and didn't play smart. They may have made it a game, but only after it was clear they were embarrassing themselves...

I'm completely unimpressed by Poindexter, other than maybe recruiting. His secondary unit is really, really bad and continues to regress. Quite honestly, he needs as much scrutiny as Diaco is getting.

It is interesting that he doesn't get as much scrutiny, especially considering he was co-defensive coordinator for the past four years. I thought linebacker play improved from last year, but the defensive line and secondary struggled all year.

Diaco deserves criticism, but it's only his first year implementing a brand new system. To be clear, I don't think he was a good hire. Outside of finding another pass rusher and a nose tackle that can consistently standup two Big Ten offensive linemen, the secondary remains the biggest question mark on this team IMO. Unlike the defensive line, this should not have been that big of an adjustment for the secondary. It would be interesting to look at Louisiana Tech tape from last season to see if their secondary played much differently than Purdue.

Being year 4, I think Poindexter should be on the hot seat. I understand why Brohm would fire Holt after last year's performance, but I don't understand why you would want to keep the other defensive coaches based on what we are seeing. Is his recruiting even that great?

It is interesting that he doesn't get as much scrutiny, especially considering he was co-defensive coordinator for the past four years. I thought linebacker play improved from last year, but the defensive line and secondary struggled all year.

Diaco deserves criticism, but it's only his first year implementing a brand new system. To be clear, I don't think he was a good hire. Outside of finding another pass rusher and a nose tackle that can consistently standup two Big Ten offensive linemen, the secondary remains the biggest question mark on this team IMO. Unlike the defensive line, this should not have been that big of an adjustment for the secondary. It would be interesting to look at Louisiana Tech tape from last season to see if their secondary played much differently than Purdue.

Being year 4, I think Poindexter should be on the hot seat. I understand why Brohm would fire Holt after last year's performance, but I don't understand why you would want to keep the other defensive coaches based on what we are seeing. Is his recruiting even that great?
Completely agree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT