ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical redshirt discussion

Evergr8ful

All-American
May 9, 2003
My below thoughts are to far out there to probably ever happen as it doesn't take into affect player personality, pride, expectations, etc.

But,

I don't see MP using anything deeper than a 10 man rotation. So, the "locks" have to be:

5 - AJ, Haas
4/3 - Swanigan, Edwards, Davis
3/2 - Stephens, Mathias,
1 - Hill, JPT

That's 9 players.

You probably keep Cline because he's supposed to be such a pure shooter, and this team will need that to keep the defenses from packing the lane.

Taylor will be needed next year when AJ is gone. Of course he's coming off a medical redshirt so his injuries would have to be sever enough for the NCAA to accept a 2nd RS year and still leave him with 4 years of eligibility. If you're not sure he has a strong chance of getting the 2nd RS then he sees the floor in limited minutes and but is potentially better prepared for next season with 3 years eligibility left.

Basil will have better opportunity next year when Davis is gone. As discussed a couple of days ago it's hard to convince a player going into his Jr. year to redshirt, but it might be the best for him as he'd have the inside track to starting for 2 years if he can add another year between he and Davis. Smotherman, imhkho is the most athletic guy on the team, but he's hit-or-miss because (again imhkho) his limited minutes makes him think that he needs to accomplish everything in the first 2 minutes he's on the floor for fear of being back on the bench for then next 25 minutes. If Basil could develop a 3pt jumpshot he's be golden as a guy who could shoot long or drive to the basket, but barring he pulls a Cuonzo and goes from 0-60 with an outside shot, I just don't see him getting the minutes this year.

Weatherford will have more opportunity next year when Hill and Davis are gone. By reputation alone he might grow into our next lock-down defender and a year of practice agains the starters could really develop his point guard skills.

Final thought -- if Davis miraculously becomes a better than average point guard and Cline is not redshirted and is serviceable, perhaps PJT could get a RS? He's a streaky shooter, but certainly could use some time to develop his defense and improve on his ball handling skills.

As I started, NONE of this makes any sense because players aren't robots that you can just shut down for year until you need them and expect them to fire right up and go. Bottom line, it's nice to have so many capable players on the roster that they all deserve minutes...that just aren't there.

Boiler Up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News