ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley to Kentucky?

I can't see him leaving Uconn....He is an East coast guy and how much more can he do at Kentucky? He makes 5 million now and I'm sure he will get a raise
UK can probably afford to pay him more than whatever UCONN can if there was a bidding war. But money isn't everything.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Kentucky is only going to look at coaches with a national championship.

I can't see him leaving Uconn....He is an East coast guy and how much more can he do at Kentucky? He makes 5 million now and I'm sure he will get a raise
As a kentucky fan. I hope you win so we can get Hurley lol.

I mean... Rick Pitino and John Calipari were also east coast guys... and they came here...

The ripple effect is going to be crazy.

They are going after huge names from big schools. That will open up some huge jobs.

Welcome to the new world.

The ripple effect is going to be crazy.

They are going after huge names from big schools. That will open up some huge jobs.

Welcome to the new world.
It was the ripple effect that lead to this Arkansas job being opened to start all of this. Maybe it was the eclipse effect.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Bruce Pearl, Sampson, Scott Drew all make sense for Ky, not sure why Hurley would leave, UCONN is a blue blood with all kinds of money. Few from Gonzaga is a name worth watching as well.

not sure why Hurley would leave, UCONN is a blue blood with all kinds of money.
1) Kentucky is a top 3 job in college basketball. Period.
2) UConn has money, but Kentucky has more. Hurley is currently getting about 5 mil a year. Kentucky could throw 12 at him (bear in mind, Kentucky has SEC TV money coming out of their ears and they put alot more value on basketball compared to football than almost any other school).
3) UConn's AD is leaving this year and Hurley will have to deal with a new guy soon regardless.
4) Kentucky's NIL is better than UConn's.
5) Kentucky's admission standards are lower than UConn's.
6) Hand-in-had with #4 and #5, it is just easier to recruit to Kentucky. Hurley has elevated UConn to near blue-blood status, but Kentucky IS a blue blood. Every 5* prospect will be interested.

I don't think it is likely that Hurley will leave, but the chances are also not zero. He'll take the call (or at least his agent will).

Bruce Pearl, Sampson, Scott Drew all make sense for Ky, not sure why Hurley would leave, UCONN is a blue blood with all kinds of money. Few from Gonzaga is a name worth watching as well.
Interesting list.

The other question, what happens to all those prized recruits? They didn’t commit to Kentucky, they committed to Cal. If he takes a bulk of them to Arkansas, Kentucky is going to be in a bad spot next year. I know Travis Perry picked them over us, but I’m happy with the 2 guards we signed.

Reactions: Schnelk
1) Kentucky is a top 3 job in college basketball. Period.
2) UConn has money, but Kentucky has more. Hurley is currently getting about 5 mil a year. Kentucky could throw 12 at him.
3) UConn's AD is leaving this year and Hurley will have to deal with a new guy soon regardless.
4) Kentucky's NIL is better than UConn's.
5) Kentucky's admission standards are lower than UConn's.
6) Hand-in-had with #4 and #5, it is just easier to recruit to Kentucky. Hurley has elevated UConn to near blue-blood status, but Kentucky IS a blue blood. Every 5* prospect will be interested.

I don't think it is likely that Hurley will leave, but the chances are also not zero. He'll take the call (or at least his agent will).
Basketball reigns in Kentucky too. The northeast has a lot of competing sports priorities. That’s basically what you said in point #1.

As a kentucky fan. I hope you win so we can get Hurley lol.

I mean... Rick Pitino and John Calipari were also east coast guys... and they came here...
Not sure I understand how losing tonight would make Hirley any more likely to take the KY job?

Not sure I understand how losing tonight would make Hirley any more likely to take the KY job?
Yeah, personally I see it as being the other way around. If he wins, he might have the "Well, I've done all I can here, let's try a new challenge!" mindset.

Reactions: GregJM24
Interesting list.

The other question, what happens to all those prized recruits? They didn’t commit to Kentucky, they committed to Cal. If he takes a bulk of them to Arkansas, Kentucky is going to be in a bad spot next year. I know Travis Perry picked them over us, but I’m happy with the 2 guards we signed.
Might be a quick 1 year problem, it’s KY, they’ll be fine.. my guess is they pick a Coach later this week to try to salvage players leaving. Guessing Ark might get some of Cal’s recruits though. If I’m betting I’d say Oats is the pick. Bama is a football school, nowhere near the job KY is.

UK fan here. Hurley should be our #1 target. We’re all Purdue fans for the next 24 hours,
Any way your administration can give him multiple calls today, like say, every 30 mins? Get in his head a little bit maybe? Not have him as focused?

Asking for a friend, of course.

Might be a quick 1 year problem, it’s KY, they’ll be fine.. my guess is they pick a Coach later this week to try to salvage players leaving. Guessing Ark might get some of Cal’s recruits though. If I’m betting I’d say Oats is the pick. Bama is a football school, nowhere near the job KY is.
I assume all his 2024 class go with him to Arkansas. He can still get them to the nba.

Jerry Jones and Tyson family contributing big $$$ to NIL

Speculation is they want Scott Drew. I'd guess they may toss out a feeler to CMP who's at the top of coaches right now. If that were to occur, how much would Bo toss Painter's way to keep him?
The AD should do what is right after the season and boost CMP's salary. It's not right that Woody makes more than him.

What he brings even beyond the basketball court is indicative of what Purdue stands for and what college sports are striving for. The comments from Pres Chiang, Pres Emeritus Daniels, and Gov Holcomb below address what it all means in the big picture.

There is no way Kentucky wants another coach who has a recent history of losing to double-digit seeds in the tourney. So, I don't think CMP is on their list. Scott Drew is the only name I've heard. But, they have to make a run at Hurley. They'd be dumb not to. Pearl could continue his SEC tour, but do you want that guy? Billy Donovan would be an interesting candidate. He's stuck in NBA hell in Chicago. And, he could make the same amount of money or more at UK, and he won back-to-back titles at a football school. So, I'd take at look at him, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT