ADVERTISEMENT

Hummel on Dakich right now. Interesting

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
DD talking about meeting NE at media day. DD mentioned it being an odd conversation.

DD talking about meeting NE at media day. DD mentioned it being an odd conversation.
Some truth to it, but, hardly a reason to condemn him as a person or player.

To counter it, however, I would point out that he is a team captain, which would seem to go against some of what DD said or was alluding to.

There unfortunately is a lot going on with him and he is just not able to overcome it right now...he has struggled with things in the past and was able to overcome some of those, and, hopefully that will happen again...for him certainly, and, for Purdue.

He is a good "kid" (as he is much more a young adult/man than kid, but, at my age, I deem him a kid)...he means well...he wants to do/play well and for Purdue to do/play well...it is not as if he is trying to play poorly or that it does not bother him (as, that last point is almost the reverse in that it bothers him so much that it is compounding the issue(s)).

He has helped Purdue be really good the past two years...for this team to be really good, they are going to need him to help again...I think everyone has thoughts on what it is that is the source of his struggles, but, nobody REALLY knows...I am pretty content in it not being a case of the guy just not physically being capable or not being a genuinely skilled and good player, as, he has shown that before (in HS/AAU and even at Purdue), but, right now, he is struggling big time and it is hurting Purdue.

Bashing him is not going to help, even if someone feels better about doing it or they are not concerned about the fact that it won't...and, at the same time, it is fair certainly to point out that him struggling is very much a part of Purdue struggling.

It is one thing to point out shortcomings in his game...something entirely different to attack him personally.

I, as much as anyone (and for a long time), had a hard time recognizing that these are kids/young men and that each of them is giving their absolute best/most (at least most of the time and in most cases) with the sole goal of trying to help Purdue win...having kids of my own helped with it...having kids that are athletes helped with it more.

I have no idea what will happen or how it plays out...for his sake (and for Purdue's in that it is tied to it), I hope that it works out and that he "gets right".

You really gotta keep stuff going got dam man what’s ur beef with my son. You don’t like him I really don’t care but making a post about something that may have happened in early October if it happened at all but to bring something up like this now WHY what’s ur point what’s your reasoning. You need to no something about my son I’ll tell u but this is so low of u who suppose to be a Purdue fan u making a topic that has no bearings on what’s going on today. You are heartless sir for this dam just leave my son name out of this mess you trying to get a reaction from others. You and others have said enough how much more is he going to be criticized especially by u.

You really gotta keep stuff going got dam man what’s ur beef with my son. You don’t like him I really don’t care but making a post about something that may have happened in early October if it happened at all but to bring something up like this now WHY what’s ur point what’s your reasoning. You need to no something about my son I’ll tell u but this is so low of u who suppose to be a Purdue fan u making a topic that has no bearings on what’s going on today. You are heartless sir for this dam just leave my son name out of this mess you trying to get a reaction from others. You and others have said enough how much more is he going to be criticized especially by u.
This is relevant today, because it happened today on Dan Dakich's radio show with Hummel. It's not like @bonefish1 dug up a story from months ago.

To counter it, however, I would point out that he is a team captain, which would seem to go against some of what DD said or was alluding to.

There unfortunately is a lot going on with him and he is just not able to overcome it right now...he has struggled with things in the past and was able to overcome some of those, and, hopefully that will happen again...for him certainly, and, for Purdue.

He is a good "kid" (as he is much more a young adult/man than kid, but, at my age, I deem him a kid)...he means well...he wants to do/play well and for Purdue to do/play well...it is not as if he is trying to play poorly or that it does not bother him (as, that last point is almost the reverse in that it bothers him so much that it is compounding the issue(s)).

He has helped Purdue be really good the past two years...for this team to be really good, they are going to need him to help again...I think everyone has thoughts on what it is that is the source of his struggles, but, nobody REALLY knows...I am pretty content in it not being a case of the guy just not physically being capable or not being a genuinely skilled and good player, as, he has shown that before (in HS/AAU and even at Purdue), but, right now, he is struggling big time and it is hurting Purdue.

Bashing him is not going to help, even if someone feels better about doing it or they are not concerned about the fact that it won't...and, at the same time, it is fair certainly to point out that him struggling is very much a part of Purdue struggling.

It is one thing to point out shortcomings in his game...something entirely different to attack him personally.

I, as much as anyone (and for a long time), had a hard time recognizing that these are kids/young men and that each of them is giving their absolute best/most (at least most of the time and in most cases) with the sole goal of trying to help Purdue win...having kids of my own helped with it...having kids that are athletes helped with it more.

I have no idea what will happen or how it plays out...for his sake (and for Purdue's in that it is tied to it), I hope that it works out and that he "gets right".

Criticizing a players performance is fair game, in my opinion. But bashing the kid personally is not. Nojel is working extremely hard for the team, and I'm sure he's a very good person.

This is relevant today, because it happened today on Dan Dakich's radio show with Hummel. It's not like @bonefish1 dug up a story from months ago.
That said, is it genuinely relevant? It was distasteful on the part of Dakich...somebody could have just as easily made the exact same comment about his own kid for that matter.

There was no reason for the comment, and, even if it is what he felt, what difference does it make or bearing does it have on him as a basketball player?

Langford was incredibly immature in ways and at times, and was a lottery pick...

What was the talked about in the conversation they had? Also, anything else of note from the show?
DD took a shot at Nojel personally...without being prompted, and, it was not necessary...and, as I pointed out in another thread, it had nothing to do with him as a player or about his game.

Hummel was outstanding...as always, and, insightful.

Now that I think about it...how ironic that DD would question the maturity of a 20-year old when he is so incredibly immature at 60 (and, his comment only further displays that)!

That said, is it genuinely relevant? It was distasteful on the part of Dakich...somebody could have just as easily made the exact same comment about his own kid for that matter.

There was no reason for the comment, and, even if it is what he felt, what difference does it make or bearing does it have on him as a basketball player?

Langford was incredibly immature in ways and at times, and was a lottery pick...
Many people talking with Dan Dakich for the first time might describe him as "immature" as well.

Robbie did well stepping around that minefield. He is as savvy off the court as on.

DD took a shot at Nojel personally...without being prompted, and, it was not necessary...and, as I pointed out in another thread, it had nothing to do with him as a player or about his game.

Now that I think about it...how ironic that DD would question the maturity of a 20-year old when he is so incredibly immature at 60 (and, his comment only further displays that)!
Soooo.... What did he say?

Soooo.... What did he say?
That he spoke with him at B1G media days and that he was incredibly immature...something along the lines of him being the most immature person he had ever talked to and that it was alarming (for whatever reason).

That he spoke with him at B1G media days and that he was incredibly immature...something along the lines of him being the most immature person he had ever talked to and that it was alarming (for whatever reason).
Gotcha

What he say bcuz that idiot don’t no my son

Immature that’s a lie my son is not immature never has been and for him to make those accusations I promise he will hear it from me. Just another looser with a mic trying to dig a human being

I am gon

I am going to guess that he brought it up today because the radio interview was today.

I don't know what was actually said as I don't listen to Dakich. That said, I would like to know what was said about a Purdue player on a popular radio show. I think that's relevant.

My point I raised why I’m the hell this person who started the thread even bring that up is my whole point again he bonefish is just as guilty for making this a topic of conversation in the 1st despite what that looser said which is absolutely untrue

Immature that’s a lie my son is not immature never has been and for him to make those accusations I promise he will hear it from me. Just another looser with a mic trying to dig a human being

I would just let it go. DD has a national platform and radio show and he's going to win any spitting match he gets into with a players parent. He says things to be provocative and get listeners.
The best revenge would be for Nojel to go out, play a great game and then stop by the scorers table after Purdue wins and say
"Hey Mr. Dakich, I feel like my game really matured tonight." Then just head to the locker room.

My point is this even it he said what he s that looser DD which is totally untrue why did bonefish1 make a topic out of it anyway. If u listened to it so be it why blast it on a message board in the 1st place this guy constantly dog my son like he done something to him. I don’t care what dakish said neither knows my son personally and if a met with my son at media day show me the video were he seems immature as he says he is which he isn’t. Like my son has been through enough shit and for this bonefish1 person to make a thread about what DD said is mean and really shows his immaturity as a man to bring up something that may have been said over. 2 months ago. Look at Nojel media clips u tell me that looks like a immature person and this bonefish1 person making a thread about my son again said it all who he is

Reactions: gelesen
My point I raised why I’m the hell this person who started the thread even bring that up is my whole point again he bonefish is just as guilty for making this a topic of conversation in the 1st despite what that looser said which is absolutely untrue
My point is this even it he said what he s that looser DD which is totally untrue why did bonefish1 make a topic out of it anyway. If u listened to it so be it why blast it on a message board in the 1st place this guy constantly dog my son like he done something to him. I don’t care what dakish said neither knows my son personally and if a met with my son at media day show me the video were he seems immature as he says he is which he isn’t. Like my son has been through enough shit and for this bonefish1 person to make a thread about what DD said is mean and really shows his immaturity as a man to bring up something that may have been said over. 2 months ago. Look at Nojel media clips u tell me that looks like a immature person and this bonefish1 person making a thread about my son again said it all who he is

If your son was discussed on one of the largest sports radio shows in the Entire Midwest then it is relevant and news worthy.

I understand that you do not want to hear negative comments about your son but was he supposed to pretend like he never heard the radio interview just to spare your feelings?
This is another example of why I think it is not healthy for parents to be reading message board posts about their child.

The best revenge would be for Nojel to go out, play a great game and then stop by the scorers table after Purdue wins and say
"Hey Mr. Dakich, I feel like my game really matured tonight." Then just head to the locker room.
Now that would be classic and might render DD speechless for the first time in a long time.

Reactions: DAG10
I know I shouldn’t care about what’s happening at Purdue but It gets to me when people hate on players, especially for their own team. Dan Dakich is heartless. I hate that he’s associated with IU.

A lot of you guys remind me of IU fans last year saying Romeo=Vonleh, he doesn’t care, is bad for the team, etc... then it comes out he tore a ligament in his thumb and played through it, dropping his draft stock. Dan Dakich took the great win yesterday to take a shot a Romeo

Criticizing players is fine but when you say Nojel can’t make a basket or isn’t a basketball player and will never be good it isn’t going to make him better. Obviously if he’s a division 1 player in the BIG he’s got to be pretty good at it. Basketball is probably his life (I don’t know though) and he’s most likely giving it all he’s got. You guys just need to chill.

I know I shouldn’t care about what’s happening at Purdue but It gets to me when people hate on players, especially for their own team. Dan Dakich is heartless. I hate that he’s associated with IU.

A lot of you guys remind me of IU fans last year saying Romeo=Vonleh, he doesn’t care, is bad for the team, etc... then it comes out he tore a ligament in his thumb and played through it, dropping his draft stock. Dan Dakich took the great win yesterday to take a shot a Romeo

Criticizing players is fine but when you say Nojel can’t make a basket or isn’t a basketball player and will never be good it isn’t going to make him better. Obviously if he’s a division 1 player in the BIG he’s got to be pretty good at it. Basketball is probably his life (I don’t know though) and he’s most likely giving it all he’s got. You guys just need to chill.

Who are you talking to? No one has criticized Nojel in this thread.

He doesn't know your son. He's a windbag. it's what he does.

What he can't take away is how hard your son works or what kind of person you know him to be. That's what's most important.

That being said, I think the best thing for you would be to stay away from this forum. There's no good that will come of it for you or your son.

If your son was discussed on one of the largest sports radio shows in the Entire Midwest then it is relevant and news worthy.

I understand that you do not want to hear negative comments about your son but was he supposed to pretend like he never heard the radio interview just to spare your feelings?
This is another example of why I think it is not healthy for parents to be reading message board posts about their child.
Sir you don’t no me and I’ve read and heard many things about my son this is nothing new but it don’t make them right and to tell me what I shud not do I’m grown like u r and have opinions like u do and since u missing the point I do not care what DD said on his radio show my point why make a thread about what he said which is untrue anyway you get my point now. Telling me what u think I can say the same to u whether I’m a parent or not point is why make a thread about what that ASS said about my some or what he thinks of his maturity which my son has never ever displayed any immature ways to nobody that DD is sayin and for a poster to bring it on this board for another Nojel eastern topic. He been basked a lot don’t u think so he need another one

He doesn't know your son. He's a windbag. it's what he does.

What he can't take away is how hard your son works or what kind of person you know him to be. That's what's most important.

That being said, I think the best thing for you would be to stay away from this forum. There's no good that will come of it for you or your son.
I get what u saying to I do have thick skin I’ve heard or read much much worse of what is being said about my son on social media and not just this site than the point I’m making is why was this brought up as a topic ask me I’ll tell u is my son is immature or not

The sad thing is he thinks what he is doing is cool and to use my son name to get ur rocks off what a heartless jerk. I’ll be the 1st one to sputter his name when my son prove him wrong and it’s coming

Sir you don’t no me and I’ve read and heard many things about my son this is nothing new but it don’t make them right and to tell me what I shud not do I’m grown like u r and have opinions like u do and since u missing the point I do not care what DD said on his radio show my point why make a thread about what he said which is untrue anyway you get my point now. Telling me what u think I can say the same to u whether I’m a parent or not point is why make a thread about what that ASS said about my some or what he thinks of his maturity which my son has never ever displayed any immature ways to nobody that DD is sayin and for a poster to bring it on this board for another Nojel eastern topic. He been basked a lot don’t u think so he need another one
Treed, none of us want anything bad for your son, you, or the team. That being said, I'm concerned for the both of you and whatever is going on. As a coach, I can tell when a player is having issues that aren't normal to his day to day routine and I'm seeing that with Nojel. It appears to me after watching him this season, that he's lost part of his drive, part of his heart, and lot of his aggressiveness. He appears a step slower, at times mentally and at times, not in the game, and yes...even afraid.

I hope whatever is bothering him...and you...gets healed soon for the sake of Nojel

Oh, and before you have a stroke...take a step back and try to enjoy this Purdue team. You're allowing some to get under your skin way to easily. Remember this....and I try to live by it..."If I let someone piss me off, that's not their fault...it's mine."

He made a thread about it because it was news-worthy. Asked and answered.

Dude get a life

Excuse me? You asked a question repeatedly and that is the Gods-Honest answer. Why would a Purdue fan not post about something that was Purdue related on a Purdue fan message board that he heard on the most listened to sports radio show in Indiana? You are asking him to cover up the news to spare your own feelings. That is not reasonable.

Treed, none of us want anything bad for your son, you, or the team. That being said, I'm concerned for the both of you and whatever is going on. As a coach, I can tell when a player is having issues that aren't normal to his day to day routine and I'm seeing that with Nojel. It appears to me after watching him this season, that he's lost part of his drive, part of his heart, and lot of his aggressiveness. He appears a step slower, at times mentally and at times, not in the game, and yes...even afraid.

I hope whatever is bothering him...and you...gets healed soon for the sake of Nojel

Oh, and before you have a stroke...take a step back and try to enjoy this Purdue team. You're allowing some to get under your skin way to easily. Remember this....and I try to live by it..."If I let someone piss me off, that's not their fault...it's mine."
Sir I’m good no one will still my joy that’s a real answer. I no what going on it’s under control and he gonna be alright. I no many truly support Nojel and some have there opinions on him what he isn’t is a bad person has a kind heart that is a joy to be around but making a thread about why DD said to me was meaningless and unnecessary is what I’ve been trying to say.

Excuse me? You asked a question repeatedly and that is the Gods-Honest answer. Why would a Purdue fan not post about something that was Purdue related on a Purdue fan message board that he heard on the most listened to sports radio show in Indiana? You are asking him to cover up the news to spare your own feelings. That is not reasonable.
No I’m not asking him to cover nothing up especially what is being said is untrue about who my son is u get my drift now. What was the purpose sir he’s the talk of many and he been scrutinized more than a player shud be especially when he hasn’t done nothing to lo one but not lived up to certain people standards but to post this on this message board is this really news worthy sir u can honestly say this is news to worthy and u ok with it proves my point

Reactions: PU pit bull
You have a nice life I won’t waist my time talking about this good day

No I’m not asking him to cover nothing up especially what is being said is untrue about who my son is u get my drift now. What was the purpose sir he’s the talk of many and he been scrutinized more than a player shud be especially when he hasn’t done nothing to lo one but not lived up to certain people standards but to post this on this message board is this really news worthy sir u can honestly say this is news to worthy and u ok with it proves my point

I am not ok with what Dakich said... but Dakich is a radio personality that works for ESPN radio. If he says something about a Player on his platform then it is certainly news worthy on a Purdue fan site. Only someone that is too close to the player being discussed would think that it isn’t. By saying it was unnecessary to post about it you are saying that he should not share it with anyone that did not listen to it and instead keep it to himself. I am not sure why a Purdue fan would keep something like that to himself EXCEPT that he knows you are on this board and it would upset you.

I do not think you can expect Purdue fans to be silent on the Purdue-related news of the day just to avoid upsetting you. That is not a fair thing to ask. If you do not want to be upset then you need to do what many posters have suggested and stop reading the posts on here.

If anxiety is his problem it's hell I can testify to that! Good Luck Nojel!!

I am not ok with what Dakich said... but Dakich is a radio personality that works for ESPN radio. If he says something about a Player on his platform then it is certainly news worthy on a Purdue fan site. Only someone that is too close to the player being discussed would think that it isn’t. By saying it was unnecessary to post about it you are saying that he should not share it with anyone that did not listen to it and instead keep it to himself. I am not sure why a Purdue fan would keep something like that to himself EXCEPT that he knows you are on this board and it would upset you.

I do not think you can expect Purdue fans to be silent on the Purdue-related news of the day just to avoid upsetting you. That is not a fair thing to ask. If you do not want to be upset then you need to do what many posters have suggested and stop reading the posts on here.
I’m moving on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT