ADVERTISEMENT

How much $ do you need in the NIL warchest?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
Curious to hear thoughts on what needs to be at disposal for NIL funds? I realize the school and AD don't control this (well, actually they do, but the NCAA says they don't) and how much they need invested to compete. It's basically an endowment for the athletic depart to buy recruits or retain current players.

Is Purdue doing what's necessary to convince some ultra wealthy alumni to help build, say a $50M warchest in an interest earning account, that can be used strictly for NIL?

I think this is a somewhat silly exercise, but I’ll take a stab at it.

if the going rate for a proven point guard is $400k, then I would guess we should budget the starting 5 at $1M. To round out the team, let’s say an additional $.5M. So $1.5M per year for basketball. With the arms race, I could easily see a scenario where this escalates to $3M per year over the next 10 years.

for Football, I would guess it will cost 5x the NIL budget for basketball to field a competitive team. There are 6x the amount of scholarship players, and generally there’s more interest in football, but each player’s impact matters less than on the hardwood. It seems reasonable to expect $8-$15M for football.

So let’s say department wide, NIL commitments will be $15M per year. Lump sum endowment would have to be $500M; that’s assuming dividends etc produce 3% of the principle. That’s the number I’d magically transfer to Purdue to let them never worry about this again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3ZSDAD
Curious to hear thoughts on what needs to be at disposal for NIL funds? I realize the school and AD don't control this (well, actually they do, but the NCAA says they don't) and how much they need invested to compete. It's basically an endowment for the athletic depart to buy recruits or retain current players.

Is Purdue doing what's necessary to convince some ultra wealthy alumni to help build, say a $50M warchest in an interest earning account, that can be used strictly for NIL?
Why don’t you start one with your tractor down payment ?

if the going rate for a proven point guard is $400k, then I would guess we should budget the starting 5 at $1M. To round out the team, let’s say an additional $.5M. So $1.5M per year for basketball. With the arms race, I could easily see a scenario where this escalates to $3M per year over the next 10 years.

for Football, I would guess it will cost 5x the NIL budget for basketball to field a competitive team. There are 6x the amount of scholarship players, and generally there’s more interest in football, but each player’s impact matters less than on the hardwood. It seems reasonable to expect $8-$15M for football.

So let’s say department wide, NIL commitments will be $15M per year. Lump sum endowment would have to be $500M; that’s assuming dividends etc produce 3% of the principle. That’s the number I’d magically transfer to Purdue to let them never worry about this again.
The funny thing is when it’s time to play the chance of a upset can still happen even with the best teams money can buy and I will be pulling for the underdog

Why don’t you start one with your tractor down payment ?

How do you know I haven't already? My understanding is that I can do a contract with a player and give him a NIL payment without Purdue ever getting involved.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
You can try to change the mind of Marcus Carr. He just said he is going back to Texas for his 8th year. Go head to head with the Texas boosters.

Won't be long before a NIL player will have to take a pay cut going to the NBA. With nut job Billionaires throwing $$$'s and making it rain, this will become real at some point in the future.

John Ruiz NIL Miami article

He is drinking blood like lemonade in this new NIL market. If you've never heard the song, it is kinda cool.
Nothing wrong with it per new no holds barred rules. Don't like it, but hey, move on.

You said in another thred that you are giving $1M. That's a good start.

Apparently not.

This question is making me question whether I’ll be interested in college sports as much the second half of my life as I was the first. No offense to you Bones - it’s a legit and inevitable question at this time given the landscape. It also makes painfully obvious the fact that college sports no longer is about the things that drew us to it for the past century.

Life might just be a little too precious to spend so much of my time being as concerned with a semi-pro minor league. At least it used to feel like the Athletics teams were (admittedly loosely) an extension of the student body rather than free agents. It’s getting really hard to look at it that way. It’s also painful watching wealthy alumni be pressured into donating to a silly arms race instead of building up the university. At least athletic donations in the past went toward facilities. I can’t imagine what it must feel like having millions of dollars you are willing to donate, but if I were in that situation, I would feel dirty giving it to the NIL.

Last edited:
This question is making me question whether I’ll be interested in college sports as much the second half of my life as I was the first. No offense to you Bones - it’s a legit and inevitable question at this time given the landscape. It also makes painfully obvious the fact that college sports no longer is about the things that drew us to it for the past century.

Life might just be a little too precious to spend so much of my time being as concerned with a semi-pro minor league. At least it used to feel like the Athletics teams were (admittedly loosely) an extension of the student body rather than free agents. It’s getting really hard to look at it that way. It’s also painful watching wealthy alumni be pressured into donating to a silly arms race instead of building up the university. At least athletic donations in the past at least went toward facilities. I can’t imagine what it must feel like having millions of dollars you are willing to donate, but if I were in that situation, I would feel dirty giving it to the NIL.
Couldn't agree with this more! My love for Purdue basketball and football is tied to me being an alum and (many of) the athletes being future alums. My interest in watching pro sports has waned since I was a kid, and I can see that happening in the near future for college sports. I'll likely stay interested if Purdue continues to keep most of its roster; but if we start to see wholesale changes each year, I can't imagine I'll follow as closely. Maybe if they can limit portal transfers to one-time only (I thought I heard this has a possibility of happening?) that will help. We'll see.

There are four problems with your request. The first is identifying where significant NIL money actually comes from. It’s usually by a very wealthy private individual. corporations very seldom give much to NIL. There are very few wealthy private business citizens in the Lafayette area. These people typically reside in big cities, not Indiana. Second, the type of Purdue alumni that actually give money typically give their money to other areas rather than athletics. The typical Purdue alumni is more likely to give their money to cancer research or St Jude’s hospital or to an academic building rather than to some athlete who will be gone in 2-3 years. Third, there is nothing preventing an athlete from making their own personal NIL. The biggest deals are not made or brokered by the university. But rather through handlers. Look at all the big NIL deals. Look at all the deals those female twins made. Miami didn’t make the deal for Pack! Pack made that deal himself. And lastly NIL deals are not likely to attract the top athletes to come to Purdue. Look at your own comments. You said the guy from UNC was not the type of player to come to Purdue. Dickinson and Cryer had no desire to come to Purdue . The player who went to IU had no desire to come to Purdue. Having a lot of money to spend is NOT going to bring the top players to Purdue. Look at Bronny James. He had no desire to come to Purdue. And Purdue had no desire to recruit him. The reality is many players just don’t want to come to Purdue and NIL isn’t going to change that. And despite fans’ desires , Painter is only interested in recruiting certain players. Painter knows who is in the portal. He has only pursued a limited amount of them. I have to believe the guard from SIU is somebody Painter wanted. As a fan, I would have preferred the other player from SIU . I would have preferred Dickinson. I’d love to see a twin towers offense rather than a perimeter one. As you look around, NIL hasn’t really changed anything. The player must first want to come to Purdue and Purdue also must first want to recruit the player. Ask yourself the question how many of the players that played in the Mcdonalds all American game were even recruited by Painter? If you are not going to bother recruiting a player, no amount of NIL money is going to lure them or persuade them to come to Purdue . Maybe if they made NIL a tax deductible charity contribution more people may give, but until then, When it comes to giving most people want to give something that will be lasting and make a difference! Most Purdue alumni would be more willing to give to building a new arena than one specific player that doesn’t even want to play 4 years!

Reactions: mathboy
How do you know I haven't already? My understanding is that I can do a contract with a player and give him a NIL payment without Purdue ever getting involved.
How do we know? You answered it with your statement following your question. If that was your "understanding", and you were going to do it, you would have done it. And the world would know about it. But since you are only talking about your "understanding" about what you "can do", instead of what you have done, you aint't done nuthin'.

Well, you have continued to gripe and whine about it, so I'll give you that. All blow and no go.

Edey would be $1.5 million by himself. That’s what Kofi left on the table when he went pro.

NJM (edited because I originally quoted the wrong person) - I like your back of the envelope math. I’m not sure how accurate, but it’s probably the right ballpark. I also appreciate thinking about it in terms of “needed endowment” size.

Unfortunately, the result is sobering. That is an absurd sum for universities to keep as endowments or fundraise annually to compete in this silly, made-up arms race. Donors could fund a lot more important things with that kind of money - like the entire academic endowment for a smaller school or branch campus or something. How can anybody believe the world is a better place over this NIL situation?

Last edited:
I like your back of the envelope math. I’m not sure how accurate, but it’s probably the right ballpark. I also appreciate thinking about it in terms of “needed endowment” size.

Unfortunately, the result is sobering. That is an absurd sum for universities to keep as endowments or fundraise annually to compete in this silly, made-up arms race. Donors could fund a lot more important things with that kind of money - like the entire academic endowment for a smaller school or branch campus or something. How can anybody believe the world is a better place over this NIL situation?
Or the B1G and SEC could give the NCAA the middle finger and just let their schools pay players directly.

This whole NIL is spinning out of control at warp speed. It’s the wild wild west , no rules, at least ones that big guys follow.

So to add to one(or two) and done rent an athlete that wears your school’s jersey, now some outside group throws money around to these kids while they take a min. class load and then exit.

So much for student athletes and school loyalty etc.

Hard to continue following this death spiral of “college sports”.

This all could have been managed so much better, getting the kids some money, keeping a level playing field for the good of competition, maintaining school loyalty/ fan loyalty, and having overall integrity. But just like our border, no one in charge gives crap, so watch things explode!

Too bad

How do we know? You answered it with your statement following your question. If that was your "understanding", and you were going to do it, you would have done it. And the world would know about it. But since you are only talking about your "understanding" about what you "can do", instead of what you have done, you aint't done nuthin'.

Well, you have continued to gripe and whine about it, so I'll give you that. All blow and no go.
Like I’m going to tell a bozo like you what my financial move are. You’d probably be hitting me up for a loan so you can open up a juice bar.

Like I’m going to tell a bozo like you what my financial move are. You’d probably be hitting me up for a loan so you can open up a juice bar.

Haha - we know what the hidden loan terms would be.........*&^%$ you, PAY ME.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: bonefish1
LOL. Your asking the questions, not me. Continuing to blow hot air about your "financial moves" while repeatedly asking questions about how the NIL works and demanding that Purdue do something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT