ADVERTISEMENT

How can Purdue football be so much further behind IU & even Northwestern? Its absolutely disgusting

Dec 23, 2014
I looked at Hazell's contract. Who even contemplated that? It was a horribly bad contract deal for university. One of just many issues that have gotten Purdue to this embarrasing state as the joke of college football. 13 million for 2 lousy big ten wins in 4 years. Why not 2 million per year with a basic winning incentive of 100,000 per big ten win. 2.4 or 2.5 million...???? It can't do worse than what we got now.

And furthermore, Purdue must have the worst seating arrangement in college football. How about fixing the endzone and mini sized jumbotron. When's that gonna happen after 20 more years? Read the article of former players. He likened our sports facilities to the movie "Major League". I mean when in the hell has any other college gotten PR like that? Why not just put a big sign up that says we hate football players go anywhere but here. Every administrator should be fired over this disaster tomorrow morning. What a lousy bunch of saps. How about lights, a deck, and some more comfortable seats. Spread it out already. At least make us look bigger than a high school stadium. Its bad enough the Indy Star refers to Purdue football as a high school program. Try to look like a community college already at least. Make the seats spread out. Good lord already.

We have sink holes in the football field for god's sakes. The whole damn field is sinking into the Earth. We can't even put the actual field out there. To hell with getting fat unathletic lineman and 5ft 3 inch corners that weigh 160 pounds and can't run a 4.6 40, we can't even put an actual field together to play on. 3rd grade teams don't have problems like this. The whole country is laughing. No wonder nobody comes to games when they're stuffed into a high school stadium trying to pretend its a MAC school. Hazell has two QB's starting against each other at SEC powerhouse schools. That says it all right there. Not that those QBs could of won video game football games for Purdue let alone real games, Hazell's one play playbook and same receiver routes on all plays sure didn't help them any. Change the plays already. Is that really needing to be said. A guy making 13 million dollars can't have 5 plays in the playbook.

Last edited:
Reactions: EastCoastBoiler
I looked at Hazell's contract. Who even contemplated that? It was a horribly bad contract deal for university. One of just many issues that have gotten Purdue to this embarrasing state as the joke of college football. 13 million for 2 lousy big ten wins in 4 years. Why not 2 million per year with a basic winning incentive of 100,000 per big ten win. 2.4 or 2.5 million...???? It can't do worse than what we got now.

And furthermore, Purdue must have the worst seating arrangement in college football. How about fixing the endzone and mini sized jumbotron. When's that gonna happen after 20 more years? Read the article of former players. He likened our sports facilities to the movie "Major League". I mean when in the hell has any other college gotten PR like that? Why not just put a big sign up that says we hate football players go anywhere but here. Every administrator should be fired over this disaster tomorrow morning. What a lousy bunch of saps. How about lights, a deck, and some more comfortable seats. Spread it out already. At least make us look bigger than a high school stadium. Its bad enough the Indy Star refers to Purdue football as a high school program. Try to look like a community college already at least. Make the seats spread out. Good lord already.

We have sink holes in the football field for god's sakes. The whole damn field in sinking into the Earth. We can't even put the actual field out there. To hell with getting fat unathletic lineman and 5ft 3 inch corners that weigh 160 pounds and can't run a 4.6 40, we can't even put an actual field together to play on. 3rd grade teams don't have problems like this. The whole country is laughing. No wonder nobody comes to games when they're stuffed into a high school stadium trying to pretend its a MAC school.

To answer your initial question.

The Purdue administration and BOT are either inherently incompetent in achieving a top 25 athletics program or they simply do not care enough to have a top 25 athletics program.

I suspect that it is both.

Reactions: DG10
Come on pollyanna sunshine boys, where the F____ are you to defend the administration, the coach, Morgan Burke, etc.? We know you're reading this...

The university looks like it is and has been actively sucking the like out of the major revenue sports for years. The only success comes when the decent coaches we have had turn a a pile of goose shit (funding/support) into something through their skill.

We have sink holes in the football field for god's sakes. The whole damn field is sinking into the Earth. We can't even put the actual field out there. To hell with getting fat unathletic lineman and 5ft 3 inch corners that weigh 160 pounds and can't run a 4.6 40, we can't even put an actual field together to play on. 3rd grade teams don't have problems like this. The whole country is laughing. No wonder nobody comes to games when they're stuffed into a high school stadium trying to pretend its a MAC school. Hazell has two QB's starting against each other at SEC powerhouse schools. That says it all right there. Not that those QBs could of won video game football games for Purdue let alone real games, Hazell's one play playbook and same receiver routes on all plays sure didn't help them any. Change the plays already. Is that really needing to be said. A guy making 13 million dollars can't have 5 plays in the playbook.

Have a beer on me buddy

The contract wouldn't be bad if the hire were better. Many of those numbers were the going rates for young up and coming coaches. I still the issue lies in picking a guy with only 2 years of HC experience. One good, one horrible. Which one is the outlier?

Don't overreact to the sink hole - it was a burst pipe. Other than that. . . . . I feel your pain and have been sick about it for a few years now.

To be quite honest after hearing all of the quotes come out about the total destruction of the major sports by the Purdue hierarchy, I am stunned we have two wins this season. Seriously.

The contract wouldn't be bad if the hire were better. Many of those numbers were the going rates for young up and coming coaches. I still the issue lies in picking a guy with only 2 years of HC experience. One good, one horrible. Which one is the outlier?

Don't overreact to the sink hole - it was a burst pipe. Other than that. . . . . I feel your pain and have been sick about it for a few years now.
The ONLY way that contract would not be bad is if Purdue had hired one of the top 10 coaches in the country, and even if they had somehow managed to do so in spite of itself, the contract would have been torn up and renegotiated.

That contract may be the single worst contract ever in Div I football...ironic in that it ended up being for one of the single worst coaches in Div 1 football history.

It was said before, but this is the market value for coaches. We struck out on our top two choices and the athletic department got desperate. His agent knew we were desperate. Why would any coach take an incentive based on BIG wins when they don't have to? That's poor business on their part. The only coach that would consider that is one that clearly has no better options. They get bonuses for things that make the university look good like grad rates, conference titles, bowl wins, etc.

He's going to be fired and get his buy out. It happens at all schools when they make a bad choice. Lets just relax a bit and hope we make a good hire next.

To be quite honest after hearing all of the quotes come out about the total destruction of the major sports by the Purdue hierarchy, I am stunned we have two wins this season. Seriously.

Yeah, Hazell might be a .500 coach against an all-FCS schedule. Too bad the B1G told all schools to stop scheduling them.

We'll see how many wins we end up with this seasons. I'm predicting a total of 2. That's outstanding TIC!

Purdue could of got a high school coach, or for that matter anybody off the street who has never coached to be the coach, as long as they demand perfection and winning that would have happened. If you demand it then it happens. It is all about leadership of which Hazell has none. You give a guy 2 million dollars a year to win football games that might not happen. But you give a guy 2 million and then put a 150,000 dollar per game bonus for big ten or power 5 wins, well then I'd bet you Purdue wins more than 1 big ten game a year in spades.

Yet, the disturbing thing about this quack coaching staff is the lack of effort to run basic football strategy. There is no strategy at all. Say what you want about Hope, he did use strategy and that strategy brought down Ohio State big time. Hazell couldn't beat Ohio State if Ohio State tied one hand behind the back of all their players during the game to give Purdue a chance.

Northwestern is always going to attract some of the truly elite student-athletes. I'm surprised they're not better, honestly. Stanford has made it work.

ANd in the good year, he had a running back that should have been playing for OSU. Have you watched films of that team? They had one play and it worked most of the time. he was incredible.

It was said before, but this is the market value for coaches. We struck out on our top two choices and the athletic department got desperate. His agent knew we were desperate. Why would any coach take an incentive based on BIG wins when they don't have to? That's poor business on their part. The only coach that would consider that is one that clearly has no better options. They get bonuses for things that make the university look good like grad rates, conference titles, bowl wins, etc.

He's going to be fired and get his buy out. It happens at all schools when they make a bad choice. Lets just relax a bit and hope we make a good hire next.
Unfortunately, this is highly correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT