ADVERTISEMENT

How are we getting to 13 Scholarships

The assumption is very easy to make. You say Painter recruits players who are loyal to Painter and to Purdue and would never, ever think of leaving. Yet, every year we see those loyal players leave via the portal.

Who knew Martin would not accept a roll as a bench player and would leave for Notre Dame?

Who knew Eastern and Haarms would leave?

Who knew Stephen’s or Newman would leave?

Who knew that Hunter and IT would leave when Smith and Loyer arrived rather than being their mentors?

Who knew Gillis and Morton would leave?

Who knew Ivey and Carsen and Tre and Swanigan would leave early

Who knew Edey would choose the NBA over staying one more year?

You criticize posters for speculating the obvious! You say Painter only recruits loyal players? Well we sure have witnessed a lot of those real loyal players leaving. So it seems pretty logical that some new loyal player will change his feelings towards Purdue next year and leave.

Look around! Players leave all the other schools too. My guess is they were also very loyal to the schools they signed with until they left. SIU fans thought they were going to have an awesome season this year until their two best players Jones and Domask both decided to leave. SIU fans were positive they would stay at SIU.

loyalty? Ha ha ha ha!

Literally everyone. These two lines right here blow your entire argument up as all 3 of those players stayed because of loyalty. Zach has mentioned how much Painter has done for him and how he wanted to repay it.

I missed your comical nonsense wol.. so glad you haven't changed. Nobody blows up their own arguments like you do.

I heard that Berg (shot Put) Heide (high Jump) are joining the Track and Field Team, Colvin (linebacker) and Smith(free safety) are joining the football team. All on scholarship thus freeing up 4 scholies for the BB team. lol
I guess that makes as much sense any anything else being proposed. lol

Interestingly enough (or maybe not), there is a NCAA-hierarchy for scholarships for athletes participating legitimately in multiple sports.

For mens' sports, football is at the top. In other words, any multi-sport athlete with a scholarship also playing football counts against the football limit. Next is basketball, so Colvin's and Smith's as suggested would count against football and not basketball. Maliq Carr would have been in that situation.

Berg's and Heide's would still count toward basketball.

Reactions: PurdueDave
The assumption is very easy to make. You say Painter recruits players who are loyal to Painter and to Purdue and would never, ever think of leaving. Yet, every year we see those loyal players leave via the portal.

Who knew Martin would not accept a roll as a bench player and would leave for Notre Dame?

Who knew that Hunter and IT would leave when Smith and Loyer arrived rather than being their mentors?

You criticize posters for speculating the obvious! You say Painter only recruits loyal players? Well we sure have witnessed a lot of those real loyal players leaving. So it seems pretty logical that some new loyal player will change his feelings towards Purdue next year and leave.

Look around! Players leave all the other schools too. My guess is they were also very loyal to the schools they signed with until they left. SIU fans thought they were going to have an awesome season this year until their two best players Jones and Domask both decided to leave. SIU fans were positive they would stay at SIU.

loyalty? Ha ha ha ha!
We all knew Tre, Morton, Edey and Gillis weren’t coming back…and in a non covid time, they wouldn’t have even had the option.

We all knew Jaden wasn’t coming back…if you’re a top 5 lotto lock, you leave as fast as you can.

We all knew Carsen was going to leave because his stock could not have been possibly higher after going on one of the craziest hot streaks in the tournament that anyone ever has.

Eastern and Haarms were a bit of a shock but they thought they were a lot better than they were…and it showed when they left purdue—neither played for a better team and painter had given them a better opportunity.

IT and Hunter wanted playing time and realized they weren’t as good as Loyer and smith—same for Newman.

Stephens…can’t remember fully but wasn’t he not the same after an injury and got passed up by other players being better?

Scott Martin probably was the biggest shock. Had he stayed, he could have helped the team out big time…but that was what…16 years ago?

loyalty? Ha ha ha ha!
Dafuq? Why are you creating strawmen that no one is suggesting?

loyalty? Ha ha ha ha!

Harms & Martin only surprises on that list to me. Rest most knew before it happened. I am sure some here even knew about those two.

loyalty? Ha ha ha ha!
Writing fiction again.

Stephens…can’t remember fully but wasn’t he not the same after an injury and got passed up by other players being better?
I think he also dealt with a friend who died coupled with losing his shooting form.

A few other names - Basil and Bryson Scott. That class all left. Anthony Johnson too. Perhaps why we don’t get Chicago kids any more.

Anyways…enjoy this moment because it won’t last.

loyalty? Ha ha ha ha!
You made really good posts lately, this one was not thought out, all knew that Edey and Morton were gone, Gillis was a 95% chance he was moving on, those were expected.

I agree with you that it's hard to predict the future and how teams will come together.

The last couple of years Purdue has been fortunate to have Edey as the nucleus of the team. It helps when you have the NPY who is also focused on the team. It's probably easier to get guys to buy into the "team" philosophy when you're competing for a national championship. I suspect that will change when Purdue inevitably has peaked.

Pre-Edey Purdue had a lot of guys transfer even before the more liberal transfer rules came into being. I suspect at some point Purdue will lose guys for the mere fact that they aren't getting any minutes, just like you're seeing at other programs.
WTF are you smoking? Purdue has been a top team for a while. Well before Edey. Also Purdue has had very few transfers compared to the rest of the country.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
As for this year, I’m going to predict if Harris is a PG that Cox goes the prep school route for a year. I wasn’t aware that Harris played the point, if true he’ll be Smith’s backup for 8–10 minutes a night and play 8-10 minutes a night at the two. Cox an unexpected recruit might benefit by playing a year at a prep.

Isn't Cox a true PG while Harris is more of a combo? Think Cox plays (Harris for sure plays) and if any of the frosh have to go prep route, it'll be Benter

I heard that Berg (shot Put) Heide (high Jump) are joining the Track and Field Team, Colvin (linebacker) and Smith(free safety) are joining the football team. All on scholarship thus freeing up 4 scholies for the BB team. lol
I guess that makes as much sense any anything else being proposed. lol
Ha you joke but football does trump so if someone were to join football we would have a scholly open. We got bailed out by was it Bade getting a football scholarship?

Reactions: Schnelk

loyalty? Ha ha ha ha!
Stupid argument. Some of those guys people had to check their sanity why they stayed like Edey, Morton when they could have probably made more money elsewhere and for Morton he wasn’t even really playing. We didn’t have scholarships for Gillis and Morton they got their full run with us. Some of those guys were chased out or needed minutes. Only guys on there who were disappointing were Eastern (not lack of loyalty but a crazy mom, he’s still a homer for Purdue), Martin (homesick, girlfriend was from up north and didn’t have the will to compete), and Haarms. That’s incredible retention.

Correct, year after next sees Loyer, Colvin, Heide, Harris, Catchings, Banter, maybe a Sisley all in that 2-3 role, maybe Catchings and possibly Heide play the 4, still leaves a excess of players, chances are someone leaves, that’s ok, happens everywhere now. Going to be a time when Painter has to start playing the portal game as well, he knows that. As for this year, I wasn’t aware that Harris plays some point, I think Cox very well could be the odd man out and go to prep school, if it ends up costing Purdue him that’s the way it goes. Also, I could be wrong, maybe Furst or Waddell go.
Well if Sisley comes someone has to leave. I don’t think anyone is denying someone or maybe even 2-3 won’t leave but won’t be rhe 3-5 guys people are speculating.

Isn't Cox a true PG while Harris is more of a combo? Think Cox plays (Harris for sure plays) and if any of the frosh have to go prep route, it'll be Benter
That’s what I thought, with Smith likely playing 30 minutes a night, Harris if he can play point might be fine at 10 minutes there? Anyways, just a thought, I have no clue, maybe no one leaves and academic scholarship or walk on status is used?

Well if Sisley comes someone has to leave. I don’t think anyone is denying someone or maybe even 2-3 won’t leave but won’t be rhe 3-5 guys people are speculating.
Agreed, might be 1-2…Purdue eventually will have players leave, nature of the game theses days.

Ha you joke but football does trump so if someone were to join football we would have a scholly open. We got bailed out by was it Bade getting a football scholarship?

Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Ok Benter goes to prep and then we sign Sisley, then what? Does Sisley go prep? Because we still need to lose a scholarship in that scenario.

You send someone to prep odds are they aren't coming back especially if you oversign again the next season.

That’s what I thought, with Smith likely playing 30 minutes a night, Harris if he can play point might be fine at 10 minutes there? Anyways, just a thought, I have no clue, maybe no one leaves and academic scholarship or walk on status is used?
You can’t give academic scholarships to players or they count against limit. But they can walk on and then get nil money…

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Still think this is what has been agreed to for quite some time with someone on the roster.
There has been a lot of speculation on that and it would effectively give us 14 scholarship players but I really hate that as a solution. This will be abused. I think if you are on scholly you shouldn’t be allowed to give it up for the sake of creating a spot.

There has been a lot of speculation on that and it would effectively give us 14 scholarship players but I really hate that as a solution. This will be abused. I think if you are on scholly you shouldn’t be allowed to give it up for the sake of creating a spot.
It beats the way that rival schools are turning over their whole rosters with transfers every year, IMO. It beats making a player leave who wants to stay. Purdue is still only going to play 5 guys at a time so I don’t really see this as gaining a competitive advantage. What makes this situation remarkable is that nobody (except the guys who had their senior day, already) is transferring out. In this era, it speaks volumes about the kind of program that Matt Painter is running.

Ok Benter goes to prep and then we sign Sisley, then what? Does Sisley go prep? Because we still need to lose a scholarship in that scenario.

You send someone to prep odds are they aren't coming back especially if you oversign again the next season.
Push the scholarship out to the next year and keep rolling them over until it works out!

So count the sixth scholarship this year for 2025. The spot that opens up due to Furst next year out to 2026 and another one in 2026 out to 2027. Then in 2026 you have a good amount of guys graduating and probably going to leave for the next level and you do a true up. Problem solved. E z p z

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I think that teams doing this with several / multiple players at a time might not be great for some players in situations, but not all that long ago D1 basketball allowed 15 scholarship players on a roster. I think it would be no different than that as far as players and potential playing time. So would increasing the scholarships available make it easier for coaches to better blend the NIL and portal with HS recruiting? Players transferring (@ most schools) is here to stay so does this allow room for transfers while still signing HS players?

Push the scholarship out to the next year and keep rolling them over until it works out!

So count the sixth scholarship this year for 2025. The spot that opens up due to Furst next year out to 2026 and another one in 2026 out to 2027. Then in 2026 you have a good amount of guys graduating and probably going to leave for the next level and you do a true up. Problem solved. E z p z
I'm assuming that's joking sarcasm. Because that's just not an honest way of dealing with it. What if no one wants to leave when you finally have to pay the piper?

I'm assuming that's joking sarcasm. Because that's just not an honest way of dealing with it. What if no one wants to leave when you finally have to pay the piper?
It’s definitely a way to do it and you have at least 4 guys leaving in 2026…I’d assume catchings, Colvin and maybe Heide leave to the nba (hopefully they all develop into that possibility). So that leaves you with 7 open spots BUT you’re right, it’s a dangerous game to play haha.

In all honesty, if I had to guess, someone is going to become a walk on.

UCLA just had another guy transfer and that’s puts them at 14 on scholarship too…wonder if someone transfers or goes to walk on 🤨

It’s definitely a way to do it and you have at least 4 guys leaving in 2026…I’d assume catchings, Colvin and maybe Heide leave to the nba (hopefully they all develop into that possibility). So that leaves you with 7 open spots BUT you’re right, it’s a dangerous game to play haha.

In all honesty, if I had to guess, someone is going to become a walk on.
A walk-on with NIL or wealthy parents is the ideal way to address it.

While I'm no expert, I don't think you can do this. Don't you still have 14 scholarship heads on the roster next season?

While I'm no expert, I don't think you can do this. Don't you still have 14 scholarship heads on the roster next season?
I assume he meant putting someone in prep school or some other way to transfer the scholarship to the next season.

Interestingly enough (or maybe not), there is a NCAA-hierarchy for scholarships for athletes participating legitimately in multiple sports.

For mens' sports, football is at the top. In other words, any multi-sport athlete with a scholarship also playing football counts against the football limit. Next is basketball, so Colvin's and Smith's as suggested would count against football and not basketball. Maliq Carr would have been in that situation.

Berg's and Heide's would still count toward basketball.
Interesting, I didn’t know that.
I was joking of course.
Maybe CG needs to find a good Center that can also kick field goals and xtra points. tic.

Agree. There’s no chance for Benter to get minutes as a freshman. This seems to be a likely scenario imo with no one transferring.
TBD. No one has seen any of these guys in Painter's system. Benter is obviously a very good player who was overlooked. We've seen it happen before once or twice. ;)

Yeah, that makes sense. I really didn't understand what he was suggesting.
There was an article explaining it written by a Purdue blogger. I’ll try to see if I can find it…not sure what to google 😂

edit: it may take a bit since I can’t remember where I saw it….i could Have sworn I saw something like that but maybe I’m completely wrong 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: PurdueDave
There was an article explaining it written by a Purdue blogger. I’ll try to see if I can find it…not sure what to google 😂

edit: it may take a bit since I can’t remember where I saw it….i could Have sworn I saw something like that but maybe I’m completely wrong 🤷‍♂️
It's the question of the summer so I'm sure everyone has creative ideas about how it gets addressed.

I spoke with a BIG 10 coach this weekend. He informed me conferences are not all the same. However in the BIG 10, once a player has a scholarship, it cannot be taken away. So the player would have to be willing to voluntarily give up the scholarship. He coaches at OSU and they have a similar issue . Their plan is to have a discussion with the player and her parents to work something out.

I suspect and trust Painter has already had that discussion.

A question to ponder…. Does a school have to publicly announce what players are on scholarship? Couldn’t they just hide the info like they do for drug tests etc? So a player could remain on the team and without a scholarship and we’d never know?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT