ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosier Board

Why did they get rid of Fife and Matta?

The whole reason they had any success last year was Fife coaching the D
Story with Fife is that he was bashing the NIL stuff with recruits and other issues with him challenging Woody in front of the team.

Not sure on Matta but he was an advisor only role. I think he felt like he was ready to be back in coaching but no sure.

Fife is an idiot. Michigan state was better before he got there and are better now that he is gone

Isn’t TJD out of eligibility? This is his bonus year, no?
He can come back and break all kinds of records if that’s what he wants. I think he’s earning 1 million this year, maybe he can make 2 million in a bonus season? Having said that, I saw one draft board had him at 30, another in the mid 30’s, guessing he moves on after this year. I actually think he’s a decent guy, that fan that wrote him that terrible letter deserved to be called out, get a grip, it’s freaking sports.

pretty sure Race will be done with his 6th year. Wild to think a fringe 5 star tjd would stay 5 years.
Yea…financially though it might be his best option. My guess is he goes though, time to try to make the NBA, I’m guessing he sits on a bench somewhere bouncing back and forth in the G league to the NBA.

Yea…financially though it might be his best option. My guess is he goes though, time to try to make the NBA, I’m guessing he sits on a bench somewhere bouncing back and forth in the G league to the NBA.
Do do you think his fragile ego would rather stay for another year where slobbering old men and young coeds idolize him or risk getting dunked on by every guy in the NBA while not being able to get free in the lane for his patented 3 foot flex shot.

Yea we are pissed and disappointed. And rightfully so. I don't see us having a chance for a win until Minnesota. Will be 1-7 by then.
Lot of games left in the season and other players will get a chance. Right now IU is sstill lost due to the losses. There is enough talent there to circle wagons and win a few. Not going to be at the top like many thought before the season, but not at the bottom either.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Why did they get rid of Fife and Matta?

The whole reason they had any success last year was Fife coaching the D
I commented at the time that the AD knew Woodson was in over his head when he hired Fife and Matta as a couple of babysitters, lol. I knew that wouldn’t go well. Then Matta leaves and Woody fires Fife because he wasn’t a yes man. I’m sure Fife could see the coaching and team management was awful and couldn’t keep his mouth shut. Too bad for Woody he let his ego get in the way of getting the help he needed. Good for the rest of the league though.

Lot of games left in the season and other players will get a chance. Right now IU is sstill lost due to the losses. There is enough talent there to circle wagons and win a few. Not going to be at the top like many thought before the season, but not at the bottom either.
It'd be possible with a group of fighters and tough minded kids. That the opposite of any of these pansies.

I dont get why you hired Woody, thatcwas never gonna work.

IU has to get back to basics, the Purdue approach, they can't just buy their way back to greatness. Just focus on playing good basketball and stop trying to win nattys. There are no shortcuts
I really think they have a culture issue...bright light and all. I do think though that last year they got in a stance and played harder than many years before

Do do you think his fragile ego would rather stay for another year where slobbering old men and young coeds idolize him or risk getting dunked on by every guy in the NBA while not being able to get free in the lane for his patented 3 foot flex shot.
coeds! ;)

Reactions: Tommaker
It'd be possible with a group of fighters and tough minded kids. That the opposite of any of these pansies.
Let's give them a couple of weeks before closing the book on them. Somewhere there has to be a few players that haven't hit the court much that will show effort, fight and smart play. They may not win with them, but the display if they did pull one off or almost got one might light a fire in some that are more talented. I'm not saying they will be as good, but they either lay down or pull together with the adversity and end up better than it looks right now. Again, not saying they will be towards the top but maybe somewhere above the bottom 2 or 3????

That’s the question, he can probably make a lot of money staying at IU, however, if the season goes South maybe he wants to leave. IU losing isn’t on him, that team still can’t shoot, has zero depth after the injuries and isn’t playing near the defense they played last season.

Let's give them a couple of weeks before closing the book on them. Somewhere there has to be a few players that haven't hit the court much that will show effort, fight and smart play. They may not win with them, but the display if they did pull one off or almost got one might light a fire in some that are more talented. I'm not saying they will be as good, but they either lay down or pull together with the adversity and end up better than it looks right now. Again, not saying they will be towards the top but maybe somewhere above the bottom 2 or 3????
Yeah but if Woody runs his team like the Brohms those guys will never see the floor because they lack experience.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Yeah but if Woody runs his team like the Brohms those guys will never see the floor because they lack experience.
Could be, but he is going to have to do something different because his choices are no longer available... ;)

Just a really questionable hire, an NBA assistant in his 60s whose name never comes up when there is an NBA head coaching vacancy, and has never coached college ball, what were they expecting?

Was there a time when Leonard really could sing (well) or did he always sound like this?
I find it amazing that the gorgeous Hallelujah song comes from him.

Woodson speaks to Big 10 Commissioner regarding Fran McCaffery:
This was pretty wild:

Prior to his arrival at Iowa, both McCaffery and his wife were ejected from a game in 2006 when he was the coach at Siena.

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
Woodson speaks to Big 10 Commissioner regarding Fran McCaffery:
Mike Woodson is doing the right thing. Fran had no business going over to the Indiana bench. Furthermore, the refs should have enforced the technical, and given IU the ball. That game should have been an IU win.

Mike Woodson is doing the right thing. Fran had no business going over to the Indiana bench. Furthermore, the refs should have enforced the technical, and given IU the ball. That game should have been an IU win.
What happened though that caused him to cross the line? Did one of the IU coaches do or say something that triggered him?

What happened though that caused him to cross the line? Did one of the IU coaches do or say something that triggered him?
Don’t really know. Regardless, there is no excuse for his behavior, and there is no excuse for the refs to not enforce a Tech that was already called. I don’t care what was said, the opposing coach can’t cross that line during a game.

That’s the question, he can probably make a lot of money staying at IU, however, if the season goes South maybe he wants to leave. IU losing isn’t on him, that team still can’t shoot, has zero depth after the injuries and isn’t playing near the defense they played last season.
Except this team can shoot. They are 38% on the season right now, 3rd in the B1G. They just don't know how to win.

Don’t really know. Regardless, there is no excuse for his behavior, and there is no excuse for the refs to not enforce a Tech that was already called. I don’t care what was said, the opposing coach can’t cross that line during a game.
Have the officials or the BIG confirmed the original signal for the Tech was on Fran? Everyone seems to be assuming that, but from the replay it sure looked to me that the Tech was called on the IU assistant. The ref turns to tell Fran to backoff, then the IU assistant seems to yell something, and the ref turns back signals a Tech and points to the IU assistant. The IU assistant then seems more upset as if he thought the Tech was on him.

Reactions: TX4GB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT