ADVERTISEMENT

He's make a list, checking it twice

Eastern proved he's a quality point guard? I must've watched a different game than you. Does he play good defense - absolutely. Is he even an average point guard on the offensive end - absolutely not. The problem is that this team doesn't have a point guard so he may be the best we got - which means we're destined to a) have teams sag off him because he can't shoot, b) have silly turnovers on what should be basic passes (he had at least 2 last night), c) silly turnovers where he dribbles of his foot/leg, and d) very few fast break points because he doesn't see the floor very well.
Ok, I have got to explain something about the motion offense that CMP is running this year and how Nojel plays a role in it because I believe many don't get what he is supposed to do and where he is on the floor.

Please start at 24 seconds of the youtube video. Obviously we are familiar with the double hand off to initiate the offense which started last season after Purdue ran what was known as an Iverson to initiate the offense before that. In that sequence, you see Nojel initiating the offense with Carsen before Carsen hands off to Cline. The ball is then reversed back to Nojel on the right wing while Carsen runs off two baseline screens (typically the 4 and the 5). However, this season they have actually moved Nojel away from that by having other individuals like Grady or Wheeler coming higher while rotating Nojel to the off side corner to operate as a backside cutter/rebounder. Nojel isn't expected to do more than what he is very good at right now...which is rebounding the ball, making cuts to the basketbal (something I think he is still trying to figure out within the offense), and posting up smaller guards when the opportunity presents itself.

The reason you see a difference in the clip I shared and the offense this year is because of the need for my PNR action to occur higher on the arc and wings. Because of that need with Cline and Boogie, Nojel has been pushed down to the corner more to create more space for the PNR to properly work...it is also why the initial action of the double screens don't necessarily work as well because it allows Nojel's defender to help a bit more instead of keeping the entire lower portion of the floor open as you saw in the clip with Boogie receiving the pass after going under the screen to then dribble in for a 12 foot jumper.

The offense looks similar but it is actually vastly different from what we saw last year when Purdue had capable 3 point shooters 1-4.

Eastern proved he's a quality point guard? I must've watched a different game than you. Does he play good defense - absolutely. Is he even an average point guard on the offensive end - absolutely not. The problem is that this team doesn't have a point guard so he may be the best we got - which means we're destined to a) have teams sag off him because he can't shoot, b) have silly turnovers on what should be basic passes (he had at least 2 last night), c) silly turnovers where he dribbles of his foot/leg, and d) very few fast break points because he doesn't see the floor very well.
I’m assuming you could do better than him at the position. He’s more than a PG sir he’s a basketball player. Stop hating

Or you could just stop calling out a player when you know so little about the game. How about you start there eh dumbass?

Look, you're entitled to your opinion. I may not like it and I may not agree with it. But I've certainly never degraded Grady by calling him a dumbass, loser, or any of those things. I'm not sure why you feel the need to do that here with fellow Purdue fans? We're all wanting Purdue to win, we just have differing opinions on how to get there. Why can't we have that discussion civilly rather than lashing out?

I think it's silly to make any judgments on any of these players right now. The most consistently high performing player thus far has been....Ryan Cline. He had his first real off night last night.

These players need experience and they have to get comfortable. Does it mean they'll all work out exactly how we hope? No.

Everyone, including Carsen, has some big things to fix.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
The thing is I think eastern does see the floor but he doesn't have the confidence to exploit. He looks tentative to me and that isn't going to work great at this level.
He had two open court situations last night that stuck out. One he pulled out of a one on one with a smaller player and the other he tried to force a pass to grady.
Kinda shows me he isn't feeling it right mow. I hope the young man gets back to where he's just playing and not thinking as much because he seems like a great boiler that has a lot of tools to really help a good team. It might just be that he wants to be too good instead of just being himself.
He’s finding himself now. He actually was shooting jumpers in the lay up line last night something he hasn’t done all season up to this point and quite a few were falling. He shot a 3 last night just missed it so what you saying is somewhat true his his confidence is coming back and at the right time we’re he won’t be thinking he’ll be just playing basketball. I still say he needs more plays ran for him to exploit his versatility on offense at other positions could make like easier for Cline and carsen. Still a lot of season to be played he’s coming along nicely I think. He may not be scoring a bunch of points but I tell you this he has stopped other teams best players from scoring a bunch of points that’s a fact. That is helping this team in a major way shutting down players from scoring there average. Cowan was 4/17 and blocked his shot 2 times and had him frustrated pretty much the whole game. The offensive side of him is coming.

This ^^^^ 100%.

I LOVE Eastern. Fantastic defender. Deserves every minute he gets. But his strength isn't really at point guard. I can't quote his assist/turnover ratio. But not sure it's that great right now.

Grady played OK. But it's time for him to be a backup off the bench for Wheeler and Evan with limited minutes as a role player. I was disappointed last night seeing Wheeler get hot in the first half, and then Grady comes out as the starter in the second half. That didn't make much sense to me.

Williams needs more minutes to develop. He can be an asset. But he's only gonna learn from mistakes if he's allowed to play through some.
His t/o are down sir from last year. I say this he’s running the offense like he’s being asked what more should he do. The bottom line in your eyes he’s not a PG in others and in mines he is more than a PG. he needs more freedom to move and make plays but he’s doing what he has to do to win. Dam if you do dam if you don’t

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
Can't we all just get along? Why the name-calling and countless insults?

We played better last night. Not great, but better. The defense was, for the most part, outstanding. Haarms stayed in control despite getting the short end of the physical battle with Fernando. Nojel played a solid all-around game. Grady played well. Wheeler played fantastic and clearly earned more PT via his confidence. All 4 of those players have been talked about a lot since Saturday. All 4 improved from Saturday. Maybe they read this board lol.

All that being said, it very easily could have been a loss. A free throw here or there, a loose ball going the other way, a questionable ref call. Any of them could have meant a loss. Let's call a spade a spade. Saturday's performance was horrible and it meant a blowout loss to a FF-caliber team. Last night was respectable and meant a close win over a good-but-not-great team. Can they continue to improve and make the tournament? Sure. Could the difficult schedule wear on them the whole season and keep them out? Sure.

Are we all fans that want Purdue to win every game? Absolutely.

So please stop with the insults and name-calling. I thought the "Ignore" button was only for IU/UL trolls.

I'm throwing my flag down. FOUL !!! I prefer civil agreements and disagreements. I find the name calling here offensive. Why? it displays your total lack of wanting to interact with each other and learn from each other and wanting to gain a new perspective. When you disagree with somebody, responding by just calling them a name adds nothing to the conversation, other than displaying your own immaturity and lack of command of the English language.

there is one myth I would like to dispel. and that is the myth that the haters only come out after a loss. they are here in force now after a win. and the emotional tone of posts and arguments is about the same. posters who hated Grady before the game, still are posing their hate. unlike many, I don't really see much of a change on this board - win or lose. The haters were posting when we won our first game.

and yes, I think some of you posters - and it's obvious reading this thread - are actually a lot worse than the trolls that come here. at least the trolls' posts are somewhat humorous.

look in the mirror- look at your posts. was the name calling necessary? Did it provide any insight or benefit? I think not.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Ok, I have got to explain something about the motion offense that CMP is running this year and how Nojel plays a role in it because I believe many don't get what he is supposed to do and where he is on the floor.

Please start at 24 seconds of the youtube video. Obviously we are familiar with the double hand off to initiate the offense which started last season after Purdue ran what was known as an Iverson to initiate the offense before that. In that sequence, you see Nojel initiating the offense with Carsen before Carsen hands off to Cline. The ball is then reversed back to Nojel on the right wing while Carsen runs off two baseline screens (typically the 4 and the 5). However, this season they have actually moved Nojel away from that by having other individuals like Grady or Wheeler coming higher while rotating Nojel to the off side corner to operate as a backside cutter/rebounder. Nojel isn't expected to do more than what he is very good at right now...which is rebounding the ball, making cuts to the basketbal (something I think he is still trying to figure out within the offense), and posting up smaller guards when the opportunity presents itself.

The reason you see a difference in the clip I shared and the offense this year is because of the need for my PNR action to occur higher on the arc and wings. Because of that need with Cline and Boogie, Nojel has been pushed down to the corner more to create more space for the PNR to properly work...it is also why the initial action of the double screens don't necessarily work as well because it allows Nojel's defender to help a bit more instead of keeping the entire lower portion of the floor open as you saw in the clip with Boogie receiving the pass after going under the screen to then dribble in for a 12 foot jumper.

The offense looks similar but it is actually vastly different from what we saw last year when Purdue had capable 3 point shooters 1-4.

Way to explain it somebody gets what’s going on. He needs freedom of movement to be able to make plays for himself and others he’s not playing a traditional PG role but in this system he’s being asked to initiate the offense rather than having a ball screen offense we’re he has more opportunities offensively to get to the basket do what traditional PGs do

Yeah let’s not forget Vegas gave us 3 to 1 odds to win and we had to give everything we had to get that W. Much needed but we were fully expected to win that game comfortably. Some decent points but you’re way ahead of yourself.
But some on here were claiming Purdue would lose and wouldn't be ranked in the Top 25 again until, what, 2020? Those are the people that this thread addresses.

Saying that Purdue should have won by more is the naysayers claiming a moral defeat. Very odd.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll take the bait.

First of all it was a good and much needed win. I think nearly all on here are happy Purdue won!

I haven't seen many on this Board say that Purdue isn't at least a borderline tournament team this year. We beat the 5th highest rated team in the B10 at home and we need wins like this to make the tournament We are now tied for 6th with 4 other teams.

Now one by one. I don't agree with all of these arguments but I'll challenge your assertions:

Nojel is not a PG....proven wrong. For the record I think he has to play point guard because he's the best option we currently have but what did Nojel due to prove this wrong? He had 4 points 2 assists and 2 turnovers, He had to be subbed out at the end of the game on offense because of his free throw shooting. I'm not knocking him. That play at the end was exceptional and he does some nice things for us but I don't think last night proved anyone wrong.

Grady sucks and should never play.... I think most have said that Grady needs to be a contributor but people have argued that others need more minutes. One could argue the key to last nights win was the play of Wheeler. He scored 25% of our points. For the first time this year he played more minutes than Grady.

I've never seen anyone say Painter can't beat ranked teams. We've had a dry spell lately but its not an anomaly for us to beat a 20 to 25 ranked team, especially at home.

Purdue can't recruit... There is debate on the Board on whether Painter can recruit well enough to make Purdue an elite program. The debate is whether fans are happy with the status quo or whether its worth the risk to try for something greater. Little about last night added anything to that discussion.

Williams needs more minutes...proven wrong. Williams played two minutes and looked okay. Again I don't necessarily agree that he should play more but what about last nights game proved he doesn't need more minutes? Maybe because Haarms played better last night?

I haven't seen many threads about the zone this year.
Nice reply to the OP who appears only wanting to troll and trash anyone that has an opposing viewpoint.

It’s quite obvious the OP should have checked the list three times. Maybe more.

I’m assuming you could do better than him at the position. He’s more than a PG sir he’s a basketball player. Stop hating
No hate - just providing my opinion. Nojel is a very good defender and rebounder. He is not a very good shooter and needs a lot of work on his ball handling and passing. Shooting, ball handling, and passing are all vital characteristics of a quality point guards. Nothing you say or how you say it is going to change people's opinion. Only Nojel's play will do that. I hope his play does just that.

Ah you poor haters must be so angry that we won last night! I mean not only did we win, but Painter also managed to squash all the bright ideas from the 'experts' on here over the last week as well!

So let's run through some eh?

Eastern isn't a PG -- Yep. Proven wrong. And he was clutch.

Grady sucks and should never play -- Yep. Proven wrong. He had some crucial points and plays that were very key to our victory.

Taken from the game thread: Painter can't beat a ranked team! -- Yep Proven wrong.

Painter can't recruit -- Yep proven wrong. Mr Wheeler says hello.

Williams needs to play all the minutes! -- Yep proven wrong. While I think he will be a great player for us, he isn't ready yet and was lost when he got his chance last night.

We need zone! Our defense can't stop anyone! -- Yep proven wrong. The critical stops at the end of the game say otherwise.

I could keep going on and on because the evidence that that hatertards are wrong on everything is massive. You all have been exposed for the dim bulbs that you are and it's hilarious. All of you haters have lost every ounce of credibility and need to just stick to making cookies in your easy bake oven because not a one of you understands basketball.
First off... I'm very happy we won. I'm a Purdue fan. But if you think CMP coached a good game last night, then we're watching different games. To play GE over AW is just ridiculous... GE got torched by Jaylen Smith all night. AW should be playing 30+ minutes a game & GE no more than 10 unless we are in foul trouble. MH can't grab a rebound if it hits him in the hands (as we saw on the last free throw). Wheeler is the best rebounder we've had since Biggie, & to not have him in on the last free throw was just stupid. Luckily we won, but that is a game that could have very easily been lost.

First off... I'm very happy we won. I'm a Purdue fan. But if you think CMP coached a good game last night, then we're watching different games. To play GE over AW is just ridiculous... GE got torched by Jaylen Smith all night. AW should be playing 30+ minutes a game & GE no more than 10 unless we are in foul trouble. MH can't grab a rebound if it hits him in the hands (as we saw on the last free throw). Wheeler is the best rebounder we've had since Biggie, & to not have him in on the last free throw was just stupid. Luckily we won, but that is a game that could have very easily been lost.
Have to agree here. Honestly thought it was a poorly coached game. Trevion and wheeler should have been in to grab the rebound on that last free throw. Eifert and haarms were getting abused all night down low. Obviously happy we won. But man, painter has been killing me this year with some of his decisions.

Reactions: *4purdue*
Have to agree here. Honestly thought it was a poorly coached game. Trevion and wheeler should have been in to grab the rebound on that last free throw. Eifert and haarms were getting abused all night down low. Obviously happy we won. But man, painter has been killing me this year with some of his decisions.

The only Boiler I can recall who could have held Fernando off of that board is playing for the TrailBlazers. Maybe it didn't show up on TV, but that guy is a beast - Best rebounder/big we've played against. Maryland's biggest mistake was not getting him more touches.

No hate - just providing my opinion. Nojel is a very good defender and rebounder. He is not a very good shooter and needs a lot of work on his ball handling and passing. Shooting, ball handling, and passing are all vital characteristics of a quality point guards. Nothing you say or how you say it is going to change people's opinion. Only Nojel's play will do that. I hope his play does just that.
It will still plenty of season to play.

Reactions: hunkgolden
The only Boiler I can recall who could have held Fernando off of that board is playing for the TrailBlazers. Maybe it didn't show up on TV, but that guy is a beast - Best rebounder/big we've played against. Maryland's biggest mistake was not getting him more touches.
Don't agree with your point but, regardless if true you need to put the players in who give you the best chance to get that rebound.

The thing is I think eastern does see the floor but he doesn't have the confidence to exploit. He looks tentative to me and that isn't going to work great at this level.
He had two open court situations last night that stuck out. One he pulled out of a one on one with a smaller player and the other he tried to force a pass to grady.
Kinda shows me he isn't feeling it right mow. I hope the young man gets back to where he's just playing and not thinking as much because he seems like a great boiler that has a lot of tools to really help a good team. It might just be that he wants to be too good instead of just being himself.

I was so concerned that Maryland would foul Eastern near the end of the game last night. Thank heavens, it wasn't a shooting foul. And by the way, concerning your hateful comments about the haters, just because someone expresses a concern or a viewpoint doesn't make them a hater. I don't ever remember seeing that word in any comments.

I was so concerned that Maryland would foul Eastern near the end of the game last night. Thank heavens, it wasn't a shooting foul. And by the way, concerning your hateful comments about the haters, just because someone expresses a concern or a viewpoint doesn't make them a hater. I don't ever remember seeing that word in any comments.
Having to sub your starting point guard out in crunch time because of his poor free throw shooting presents all sorts problems. Matt has got to figure something out with regard to this issue. Even Crispin was screaming that Maryland should be fouling Nojel when he was bringing the ball up with less than a minute to play.

Ah you poor haters must be so angry that we won last night! I mean not only did we win, but Painter also managed to squash all the bright ideas from the 'experts' on here over the last week as well!

So let's run through some eh?

Eastern isn't a PG -- Yep. Proven wrong. And he was clutch.

Grady sucks and should never play -- Yep. Proven wrong. He had some crucial points and plays that were very key to our victory.

Taken from the game thread: Painter can't beat a ranked team! -- Yep Proven wrong.

Painter can't recruit -- Yep proven wrong. Mr Wheeler says hello.

Williams needs to play all the minutes! -- Yep proven wrong. While I think he will be a great player for us, he isn't ready yet and was lost when he got his chance last night.

We need zone! Our defense can't stop anyone! -- Yep proven wrong. The critical stops at the end of the game say otherwise.

I could keep going on and on because the evidence that that hatertards are wrong on everything is massive. You all have been exposed for the dim bulbs that you are and it's hilarious. All of you haters have lost every ounce of credibility and need to just stick to making cookies in your easy bake oven because not a one of you understands basketball.
Barely even worth responding to this drivel, but, at the same time...Painter absolutely out-coached Turgeon last night.

I am not sure if that says more about Painter or Turgeon though.

I never understood or understand why those or anyone that takes exception with some of what Painter does (or fails to do) equates to them being a "hater".

Are there worse coaches? Absolutely. Are there better coaches? For certain. Does it matter since he has a virtual life-time contract at Purdue? Not at all seemingly. Regardless, while I (and others) are disappointed by some of his shortcomings...I don't hate him...as a person or as Purdue's coach.

I agree with *4purdue* about wondering why AW wasn't on the lane for those last Maryland free throws. Also a bit surprised that he wouldn't guard the inbound pass because of his length to make it a little more difficult to get a clean passing lane or look. Glad it worked out and kudos to Eastern for the block.

The ball went out of bounds off of Boogies leg. How is that in Haarms?

The ball went out of bounds off of Boogies leg. How is that in Haarms?

Because Haarms tried to grab the rebound with one hand instead of two and because of that mishandled it and the ball re-directed off off Carsen's leg. If Haarms grabs the ball with two hands, he's getting fouled and shooting FT's to ice the game going the other way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT