ADVERTISEMENT

Has Purdue improved over the season?

No. They get too sloppy not valuing possessions and inevitably, opens the doors to let opponents back in the game. Couple it with 67% team F.T. shooting, and we’ll get beat with that same style of play we’ve seen the last several games.

I’d argue yes— in this context:

NOBODY seems to have an “off night” against Purdue— you can say this is due to our maddening propensity to turn over the basketball, and/or our less-than-traditional ability to lock down on defense, but the fact remains that this team has taken MULTIPLE best shots from opponents within the B1G and without— and survived…

That is noteworthy- in my book😎

I asked a similar question when I asked which players improved, as compared to the Big Ten Champs who had a number of players improve tremendously.

No Purdue has not improved overall. Two players improved. Hunter and possibly Gillis. Defense has improved from bad to below average. But good, quick guards have their way with us always. Offense is worse, only good in spurts. Bench has disintegrated. Turnovers and free throws are up and down.

But the team has some good talent despite their decline resulting in a good record overall.

Purdue has steadily regressed over the season. Well Either that or they have stayed the same while the average team improved. Their metrics have trended downward since the start of the year.

Reactions: Jbigler1986
I think Morton, Hunter, and Gillis are better players now and have shown improvement. Trevion has been inconsistent but I wouldn’t say he regressed. Edey has been pretty steady. Sasha has played about the same. I would say there is only player who has regressed and he has NBA-itis.

No. We peaked with the Nova win, since then it's been a few highs and lows but a downward trend. My opinion is it's likely due to game film and game plans created from them. Our weaknesses have been demonstrated and used against us. Great coaches, take kids they recruit and sign and teach them to evolve and rise above the opposing teams who've learned those weaknesses. This in not happening. Everyone is improving and we are static. Look at today: A team that will not likely make the NCAA, nearly swept us. I know some keep clamoring that we'll obviously bound back from these subpar performances. We didn't bounce back today as we didn't bounce back from the MSU loss. But, rest assured we'll bounce back this time. We are not playing our best ball of the year. Now, we're left with the truth that we either were just playing out of our minds for a while and really aren't that good. Or, we're a very good team and our coach is failing the kids.

Reactions: MetMyWifeAtHarrys
It is difficult to measure because the Big Ten is flat out UGLY. I've defended it being shat on by media over the years, but I'm starting to believe it will never be a premier league with results in March if officials continue to allow what we saw today and coaches continue to choose to teach their guys to muck it up on that end. Luckily Purdue is built different and might actually be a better tournament team if the style of play is more wide open.

If this team is given freedom of movement and Sasha isn't held coming off every screen, Ivey being hip checked is actually a foul, and forearms in the back on a post shot aren't a play on, this team can still be elite.

Overall to answer your question it's been awhile since everyone has played their A game on the same night. Guys have definitely improved, but the inconsistency has been the most disappointing thing. Hopefully the win or go home home situation will bring out the best.

It is difficult to measure because the Big Ten is flat out UGLY. I've defended it being shat on by media over the years, but I'm starting to believe it will never be a premier league with results in March if officials continue to allow what we saw today and coaches continue to choose to teach their guys to muck it up on that end. Luckily Purdue is built different and might actually be a better tournament team if the style of play is more wide open.

If this team is given freedom of movement and Sasha isn't held coming off every screen, Ivey being hip checked is actually a foul, and forearms in the back on a post shot aren't a play on, this team can still be elite.

Overall to answer your question it's been awhile since everyone has played their A game on the same night. Guys have definitely improved, but the inconsistency has been the most disappointing thing. Hopefully the win or go home home situation will bring out the best.
I have felt that the B1G officiating has hurt the B1G teams a lot over the years. Things they let go get called by better officials and things they call don't get called. I stand behind that thought this year, BUT!!! there could be an anomaly this year in that WE may benefit from better officiating (or different from what we've gotten for three months.) ... There is no way to tell, but Robbie mentioned today that so many B1G teams have great centers and there are few on other teams. Now, will our strength in the paint overcome our weakness for guarding great guards ... we'll know more in two weeks.

QUESTIONS:
1. Will Zach be allowed to do his thing?
2. Will Tre stop all the turnovers?
3. Will Ivey stop bulling into three players and throwing up a prayer
4. Will Ivey shoot some mid-range jumpers (I don't even care if he hits a bunch, at least try it.)
5. Will Sasha shoot more like he does at Mackey, or like he does away?
6. Will Gillis stay in the whole game?
7. Will Hunter just keep on keepin' on?
8. Will we find someone who does not get lost on high PnRs?
9. Will Morton and Tre and IT and Furst provide a reasonable amount of goodness
10. Will we hit FTs, reduce TOs, get a lot of offensive rebounds, and keep their best guard from having a career night?

Last edited:

NOBODY seems to have an “off night” against Purdue— you can say this is due to our maddening propensity to turn over the basketball, and/or our less-than-traditional ability to lock down on defense, but the fact remains that this team has taken MULTIPLE best shots from opponents within the B1G and without— and survived…

If you asked most fans if 25-6 and being in the top 10 the entire year would satisfy the fan base, you’d get a yes. We got to #1 and the only place to go was down. I think we’ve reached out level somewhere around 8-10. I think that’s fair.

This team is as flawed as anyone in the top 10. This team doesn’t have collective great speed. It doesn’t have great length at some positions. Some teams that play a grind it out pace cause us problems.

We’ve been exposed in some of our losses. However, I think some of our fans overreact in some ways. We have a very good chance to make a run. We have lots of good players. Could we get upset? Sure. But we’ve proven that we rarely get blown out.

6 games in conference that we didn't survive. All but 1 we either blew a late lead, missed free throws or had a ton of unforced turnovers. So I don't think we got better. I think we have gotten worse.

Kansas just scored 57 in regulation at home. We have the same record they do. Sky has not fallen. Keep some perspective.

Had Texas been able to hit ANYTHING down the stretch, could have ended Kansas 38-game senior day streak. Depending upon the Big XII tourney results, Texas is one of those teams floating on the #5/#6 line.....when they make shots, they are tough.

Not sure. Purdue looked pretty good when Furst was starting against UNC and Nova. That team looked like Final 4 for sure. Hope the Big Ten grind is the only problem. Road games are tough anywhere. Glad March Madness is neutral court. Seeing 4 NCAA Tourney wins (or more) would really be nice, and Purdue is a perfect 4 - 0 on a neutral floor......let's hope that goes to 8 -0 or better as I personally could care less about BTT. Go Boilers!

Fire Coach K! Oh wait. Helps us with seeding maybe. Our UNC win looks better.

Not sure. Purdue looked pretty good when Furst was starting against UNC and Nova. That team looked like Final 4 for sure. Hope the Big Ten grind is the only problem. Road games are tough anywhere. Glad March Madness is neutral court. Seeing 4 NCAA Tourney wins (or more) would really be nice, and Purdue is a perfect 4 - 0 on a neutral floor......let's hope that goes to 8 -0 or better as I personally could care less about BTT. Go Boilers!
Do you think Furst is better than Gillis?

Hunter has improved by leaps and bounds from the beginning of the year. He went from totally underachieving at the beginning of the year to maybe one of our most reliable players at the end of the year. He shot 54% from 3 in conference play (20/37) after going 3 for 16 out of conference. Averaged 7.3 points per game in conference and less than 3 out of conference.

I'm not sure what to think about guys like Newman, Morton, IT and Furst. They just totally disappeared. Both their production and minutes have steadily regressed to the point where we essentially have a six man rotation. Furst and IT played 4 minutes yesterday, Morton 10 and of course Newman 0. That group of 4 has scored 4 points in the last 3 games. All by Furst. I believe that would be the biggest surprise to me from the beginning of the year. While I never bought into the two starting fives, I never expected us to be so thin.

Reactions: rgarlitz
If you asked most fans if 25-6 and being in the top 10 the entire year would satisfy the fan base, you’d get a yes. We got to #1 and the only place to go was down. I think we’ve reached out level somewhere around 8-10. I think that’s fair.

This team is as flawed as anyone in the top 10. This team doesn’t have collective great speed. It doesn’t have great length at some positions. Some teams that play a grind it out pace cause us problems.

We’ve been exposed in some of our losses. However, I think some of our fans overreact in some ways. We have a very good chance to make a run. We have lots of good players. Could we get upset? Sure. But we’ve proven that we rarely get blown out.
Love our record. Don’t t love the reckless confused play of Ivey lately. Don’t love TW’s sloppy turnovers. Don’t love the turnovers on 4/5 possessions in a row. Don’t t love the obvious lack of respect of every possession
Don’t think we’ve gotten better.
Do think when Gillis plays well we win.
Do think right now Edey needs all the minutes he can handle
Do think we can win the whole thing or not get out of the first weekend. Do think anything less than a FF will be a disappointment. Do think you better prepare to be disappointed. Hope not. Do think I’ll be rooting like hell for a FF.

Love our record. Don’t t love the reckless confused play of Ivey lately. Don’t love TW’s sloppy turnovers. Don’t love the turnovers on 4/5 possessions in a row. Don’t t love the obvious lack of respect of every possession
Do think we can win the whole thing or not get out of the first weekend. Do think anything less than a FF will be a disappointment. Do think you better prepare to be disappointed. Hope not. Do think I’ll be rooting like hell for a FF.
You’re pretty much right on. I think there isn’t that much Of a difference between the #1 team and the #12 team. The tournament is wide open. Ivey’s maturity as a player is developing. He’s very up and down right now. If we get the Illinois/Rutgers version of him, we will be fine. If not, who knows.

Williams needs to be more aggressive with his shot. Few defenders can handle him. His passing is good, but he is well scouted in the Big10.

Frustrating team. I did see some flashes of defense over the last month. Rebounding has been good. We just need to take care of the ball and make FT’s and we can make a good run IMO.

Correct on all points. I may add the our defense has looked a bit improved. But, the out of control Ivey, TW's passing has been poor and extreme carelessness with the ball has overshadowed any defensive improvement.

I'm not sure what's going on with Ivey. Is he suffering from overconfidence? His crossover is careless in traffic. It's almost like he thinks nobody can see it and he's so good nobody can take the ball away. If he continues to play like he currently is......yes, we had better all prepare for a disappointing NCAA. Tre and passing has reached the point that it doesn't matter how cool your pass is if your teammate can't do something with it. His passing is high risk, low reward. These two are dragging this team down right now. They should be centerpieces and carrying this team.

I agree with the Furst issue. He was averaging almost a double first 12 games. He was the surprise of the team. He’s struggled coming off the bench but Gillis has also been a nice surprise and brings the scrappiness this team lacks.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
Teams have also had an opportunity to scout Purdue. They’ve seen our guards struggle with the high ball screen and have used it really effectively. They’ve also gambled on being very physical with Ivey and Edey and dared the refs to call fouls.

Do you think Furst is better than Gillis?
Not at the moment, however Furst is 4 inches taller and that helps with rebounding, tip balls, and drawing fouls down low as well as post defense. UNC and Nova wins keep looking better and better, and Furst was really good in both wins. Mason has a heart of gold, but he is a PF with SF size. Need both to make Final 4 run, need to use our depth better. Both should be playing 15 or more minutes a game.

Excellent reflections of my exact feelings.

Correct on all points. I may add the our defense has looked a bit improved. But, the out of control Ivey, TW's passing has been poor and extreme carelessness with the ball has overshadowed any defensive improvement.

I'm not sure what's going on with Ivey. Is he suffering from overconfidence? His crossover is careless in traffic. It's almost like he thinks nobody can see it and he's so good nobody can take the ball away. If he continues to play like he currently is......yes, we had better all prepare for a disappointing NCAA. Tre and passing has reached the point that it doesn't matter how cool your pass is if your teammate can't do something with it. His passing is high risk, low reward. These two are dragging this team down right now. They should be centerpieces and carrying this team.
Bingo!!!

I think we did improve on some of our biggest weaknesses which was closing out on 3s. We did poorly on that at Michigan when we played the twin towers. But I do think we have gotten better at it. It might be because Hunter has taken minutes from IT to who was exposed badly on that.

Teams have also had an opportunity to scout Purdue. They’ve seen our guards struggle with the high ball screen and have used it really effectively. They’ve also gambled on being very physical with Ivey and Edey and dared the refs to call fouls.
100%. Question…. My theory is Johnny Davis gets lots of fouls because he’s under control and Ivey gets fewer bc he appears more wild. I think Ivey gets more contact. Thoughts?

Fire Coach K! Oh wait. Helps us with seeding maybe. Our UNC win lo
100%. Question…. My theory is Johnny Davis gets lots of fouls because he’s under control and Ivey gets fewer bc he appears more wild. I think Ivey gets more contact. Thoughts?
He gets more fouls because he can make mid range shots. So they close on those as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT