ADVERTISEMENT

Has Bobinski already drank the koolaide?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
I posted this on the football board as well, so yes, I'm aware.

I hate this quote: “We’re never going to match the largeness of Ohio State".

Is he already making excuses for trying to do more with less? Is he already putting in place the 'managing expectations' argument and to make sure they're not too high?

Look....I'm a realist and I realize that places like OSU, UM or ND have access to resources, right now, that Purdue doesn't. But why can't that change? Why can't Purdue eventually be mentioned in the same sentence with those three programs?
Up until Izzo took over MSU, few would believe that MSU would be mentioned at a perennial Final Four contender with the likes of UNC, Duke and Kentucky.

Maybe the Purdue BOD and administration simply lacks vision and a belief that Purdue can be better than above average.

Reactions: *4purdue*

Is he already making excuses for trying to do more with less? Is he already putting in place the 'managing expectations' argument and to make sure they're not too high?

Look....I'm a realist and I realize that places like OSU, UM or ND have access to resources, right now, that Purdue doesn't. But why can't that change? Why can't Purdue eventually be mentioned in the same sentence with those three programs?
Up until Izzo took over MSU, few would believe that MSU would be mentioned at a perennial Final Four contender with the likes of UNC, Duke and Kentucky.

Maybe the Purdue BOD and administration simply lacks vision and a belief that Purdue can be better than above average.
Hey at least he didn't repeat the Mike Berghoff classic, "we're shooting for the middle".

And yet MSU's Athletic Department revenues were $109 million last year vs. $168 million at OSU. I think that matching OSU's success is a much more realistic goal than matching OSU's size.

Just from hearing him speak, he sounds like he's originally from the east coast. I think an outsider is needed to move Purdue athletics forward, so in that regard, I'm pleased.

Bone, you have such a short memory it is almost laughable. Ever hear of a fellow named Jud Heathcoat? Maybe someone called Magic Johnson? They were there before Izzo, but that does not fit your current "Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" rant. Just wow!

And yet MSU's Athletic Department revenues were $109 million last year vs. $168 million at OSU. I think that matching OSU's success is a much more realistic goal than matching OSU's size.
This. Don't think for a second just because MSU has experienced a run of success that they are anywhere near OSU status (overall athletic status, not just bball). MSU should be our benchmark. With that said he probably did not need to mention OSU by name, but also note he used the work "largeness" not "success".

Last edited:
Bone, you have such a short memory it is almost laughable. Ever hear of a fellow named Jud Heathcoat? Maybe someone called Magic Johnson? They were there before Izzo, but that does not fit your current "Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" rant. Just wow!
You realize that Magic was there in 1978, right? Do you realize also that Jud only had a .600 winning % at MSU?
Jud did not make MSU what it is today, Izzo did.

Reactions: Hoogolf
You realize that Magic was there in 1978, right? Do you realize also that Jud only had a .600 winning % at MSU?
I am convinced more than ever that you and the rest of the negatwats have never played a second in any organized sports. The views you have are so moronic I am starting to question whether you ever even attended Purdue let alone any place of higher learning.

and '79. C'mon Bone/Lenn, granted Izzo is an excellent coach, putting aside some of the rancor of discussing his/MSU's current program has drawn on the board. He definitely has raised Michigan State to another level, but Jud should get a "little"/"some" credit......plus, he brought Izzo in as an assistant.

81101-alright-well-call-it-a-draw-gi-JonN.gif

Reactions: Missouri Boiler

You missed the rest of the quote. Let me help you:

“We’re never going to match the largeness of Ohio State," Bobinski said, "but we need to do what is necessary to compete at high level.”

Do you think Purdue's athletic program is ever going to be as big as Ohio State? After all, they are the 2nd largest in the country and sponsor 35 athletic programs.

This. Don't think for a second just because MSU has experienced a run of success that they are anywhere near OSU status (overall athletic status, not just bball). MSU should be our benchmark. With that said he probably did not need to mention OSU by name, but also note he used the work "largeness" not "success".

Tend to agree here, especially in that another conference school with tradition and resources is in the same State. In other ways, Wisconsin, is also a decent model. At one time (during some of us posters' lifetimes), Wisconsin was near the bottom of the league in both football and basketball.

Either way, for the best chance for success, you need the BOT, Administration, and the Athletic Dept all on the same page and steering in the proper direction. To turn things around faster, you need an athletic dept to be able to take the lead and get/have the resources it needs. JMO

I don't know enough yet to react fully to the hire.....haven't heard/read much yet from "news" sources.

You missed the rest of the quote. Let me help you:

“We’re never going to match the largeness of Ohio State," Bobinski said, "but we need to do what is necessary to compete at high level.”

Do you think Purdue's athletic program is ever going to be as big as Ohio State? After all, they are the 2nd largest in the country and sponsor 35 athletic programs.

another quote/tweet (from "Hammer & Rails"):

"we're never going to match Ohio State in spending, but we must invest to have our sports to be successful at a high level."

and '79. C'mon Bone/Lenn, granted Izzo is an excellent coach, putting aside some of the rancor of discussing his/MSU's current program has drawn on the board. He definitely has raised Michigan State to another level, but Jud should get a "little"/"some" credit......plus, he brought Izzo in as an assistant.

81101-alright-well-call-it-a-draw-gi-JonN.gif

My point was that the MSU and PU programs were either on par (or, it could even be argued that Keady had the better program during much of their joint tenures. Yet, MSU took a gigantic leap under Izzo. MSU didn't suddenly get better weather, better looking girls or closer to the beach. It was the coach who made them a perennial FF mention and Purdue should be able to do the same with the right coach and resource commitment.

Tend to agree here, especially in that another conference school with tradition and resources is in the same State. In other ways, Wisconsin, is also a decent model. At one time (during some of us posters' lifetimes), Wisconsin was near the bottom of the league in both football and basketball.

Either way, for the best chance for success, you need the BOT, Administration, and the Athletic Dept all on the same page and steering in the proper direction. To turn things around faster, you need an athletic dept to be able to take the lead and get/have the resources it needs. JMO

I don't know enough yet to react fully to the hire.....haven't heard/read much yet from "news" sources.

I've always said that MSU is a great measuring stick for PU athletically. I think MSU is in a very similar situation as PU, as you correctly point out.
There's no reason we can't have the success they've had in the last 20 years other than, as you say, all those groups affiliated with the University have to have the same goal and be willing to commit the resources necessary.

Reactions: nagemj02
My point was that the MSU and PU programs were either on par (or, it could even be argued that Keady had the better program during much of their joint tenures. Yet, MSU took a gigantic leap under Izzo. MSU didn't suddenly get better weather, better looking girls or closer to the beach. It was the coach who made them a perennial FF mention and Purdue should be able to do the same with the right coach and resource commitment.

Thanks for the amplification.

Let him go, he's on a roll.

Reactions: TC4THREE
I agree, there's no reason we can't reach Michigan States level of success. And It's not just basketball too. Remember they made the football playoffs last year. I know, they got drilled by Alabama, but I would gladly trade being drill in the playoffs by Bama as opposed to being drilled by Northern Illinois at home.

I agree, there's no reason we can't reach Michigan States level of success. And It's not just basketball too. Remember they made the football playoffs last year. I know, they got drilled by Alabama, but I would gladly trade being drill in the playoffs by Bama as opposed to being drilled by Northern Illinois at home.
While I agree there are some similarities, we are nowhere close to MSU in revenues. To make up $30MM+ in revenue, we would need to sell out Ross Ade every gameand then add another 20k worth of seats and sell those out as well. MSU has far greater t shirt fan support than we do. Visit the west coast of MI and you'll see more green shirts than blue. But they are a great aspirational goal; we just have a long ways to go.

Will be interesting if there is any increase in season tickets as a result....I'm guessing there might be some but not significant until at least next year.

Why would anyone go to a game just because they got a new AD? They aren't going to go until they fire Hazell.

Why would anyone go to a game just because they got a new AD? They aren't going to go until they fire Hazell.

Don't know....people make choices/decisions for all kinds of reasons....maybe someone dropped tickets and likes the move.....I hear you though....unless something magical happens.....Ross Ade will continue to resemble a Scooby Doo ghost town until at least CDH moves on.

To be honest, the fans gave Hazell an opportunity each of his first three seasons. I was at the Virginia Tech game last year and thought attendance was very solid. In fact I've been to one home game in each of his seasons and every time they failed to keep me (and many others) into the fourth quarter. Bottom line is the fans have been more than fair. The team has to hold up their end of the deal.

To be honest, the fans gave Hazell an opportunity each of his first three seasons. I was at the Virginia Tech game last year and thought attendance was very solid. In fact I've been to one home game in each of his seasons and every time they failed to keep me (and many others) into the fourth quarter. Bottom line is the fans have been more than fair. The team has to hold up their end of the deal.
Amen!

I don't expect us to compete for the conference title every year in football. What I do expect is a competitive team that has a chance each week to win. We haven't seen that in way too long!

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT