ADVERTISEMENT

Harrison Ingram to Stanford.....Who up next?

You are all wasting your time trying to argue with lenny. Ever since he came to this forum way back when he has always been obtuse.

This perfectly explains him:

And every time he is proven wrong he just ends up changing the criteria of the argument as he has done in this thread. It's just how he is and he isn't going to change nor ever come to terms with how little he really knows about things. He is just that insecure.

All that being said, I still stand by what I have said before in that I really don't think he is a bad guy, he wants Purdue to succeed like we all do. And I would have a beer with him if I could. I think that in of itself would be fun and entertaining.

Reactions: Schnelk
You are all wasting your time trying to argue with lenny. Ever since he came to this forum way back when he has always been obtuse.

And every time he is proven wrong he just ends up changing the criteria of the argument as he has done in this thread. It's just how he is and he isn't going to change nor ever come to terms with how little he really knows about things. He is just that insecure.

All that being said, I still stand by what I have said before in that I really don't think he is a bad guy, he wants Purdue to succeed like we all do. And I would have a beer with him if I could. I think that in of itself would be fun and entertaining.
I'd have a beer with him but can you imagine having to work for or with him.

Reactions: BBG

Very Well put. i realized the futility of casting pearls early on, and just stopped. Like you said, he is not a troll or bad guy, just obtuse.

I don't try to change his mind. I just want to put the correct perspective in the same thread as his nonsense so anyone else reading it understands the situation.

What did you just call him?

HO8Z.gif

I'd have a beer with you to BBQ. (you buyin?)
But, I stand by the fact that for top basketball recruits like 5 stars who are only going to be on campus 1-2 years and may or may not have any intention of getting a degree, that a lot of those recruiting disadvantages Purdue has, aren't.
If they were, why is football able to land some of the 5 stars they have? Do the same criteria not apply to FB as to BB?

But, I stand by the fact that for top basketball recruits like 5 stars who are only going to be on campus 1-2 years and may or may not have any intention of getting a degree, that a lot of those recruiting disadvantages Purdue has, aren't.
If they were, why is football able to land some of the 5 stars they have? Do the same criteria not apply to FB as to BB?

Football? 5 stars? Huh?

If they day ever comes, yeah I'll buy lenny.

I get what you are saying when it comes to recruiting, I do, but I think you are looking for one single point to sway a recruit one way or another. And as someone else pointed out, there isn't one at least not anymore. Take Ingram as an example, he wants to get in to Engineering and while Purdue's is top notch, depending on area Stanford is probably a tad better.

The kids today are inundated with a ton of choices from where they get their mocha latte to what college they go to. And perception or "likes" are everything to them and getting to the NBA of course. Life to them is a popularity contest and everyone of them is a unique snowflake that has to have a unique pitch.

Painter for good or bad seemingly is straight with them and tells them things they may or may not want to hear. And that is fine because I would rather him be honest and lose a recruit, than bring one in under false pretenses and we have another RJ/Nojel situation on our hands.

It's a crap shoot and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be out there trying to convince some kid to come to Purdue. I just don't have it in me to pander to their feelings just to get them to play for us.

Last edited:
If they day ever comes, yeah I'll buy lenny.

I get what you are saying when it comes to recruiting, I do, but I think you are looking for one single point to sway a recruit one way or another. And as someone else pointed out, there isn't one at least not anymore. Take Ingram as an example, he wants to get in to Engineering and while Purdue's is top notch, depending on area Stanford is probably a tad better.

The kids today are inundated with a ton of choices from where they get their mocha latte to what college they go to. And perception or "likes" are everything to them and getting to the NBA of course. Life to them is a popularity contest and everyone of them is a unique snowflake that has to have a unique pitch.

Painter for good or bad seemingly is straight with them and tells them things they may or may not want to hear. And that is fine because I would rather him be honest and lose a recruit, than bring one in under false pretenses and we have another RJ/Nojel situation on our hands.

It's a crap shoot and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be out there trying to convince some kid to come to Purdue. I just don't have it in me to pander to their feelings just to get them to play for us.

Totally agree with everything you just said. There's any number of factors that goes into a kids decision. Hell, when I was in school, I believe they still used female students 'hosts' who would help in the recruiting process (as the father of two daughters, I'm not in favor of recruiting 'hosts').
But, as I said before, there's something Painter is saying or not saying when it comes down to decision time that isn't swaying these 5 star recruits. I'm not sure it's the perception that he's brutally honest and won't tell kids what they want to hear. Recruiting at this level is dirty, ugly, nasty (similar to politics) and for a coach who's job literally depends on his ability to recruit, you'd think he'd do what he has to do (without cheating). He's been in pretty deep on a bunch of 5 stars and has been in the final 2-3 for a bunch of them but has only landed 1.
And while I do believe the head coach is the ultimate influencer, maybe Painter does need to assess who his top recruiter is?

Totally agree with everything you just said. There's any number of factors that goes into a kids decision. Hell, when I was in school, I believe they still used female students 'hosts' who would help in the recruiting process (as the father of two daughters, I'm not in favor of recruiting 'hosts').
But, as I said before, there's something Painter is saying or not saying when it comes down to decision time that isn't swaying these 5 star recruits. I'm not sure it's the perception that he's brutally honest and won't tell kids what they want to hear. Recruiting at this level is dirty, ugly, nasty (similar to politics) and for a coach who's job literally depends on his ability to recruit, you'd think he'd do what he has to do (without cheating). He's been in pretty deep on a bunch of 5 stars and has been in the final 2-3 for a bunch of them but has only landed 1.
And while I do believe the head coach is the ultimate influencer, maybe Painter does need to assess who his top recruiter is?
Been busy so couldn't respond, but I am not sure if he needs to change assistants or what. And while the head coach might be top of the list, by far I don't think it is the only thing that impacts a decision. I'll use Ingram again, from everything I read he seemed to like Painter and what not but in the end chose Stanford because of their engineering program.

Like I said it's a crap shoot. I don't think Painter really needs to change anything because he's slowly getting better and better recruits. He can win the whole thing with a very solid core of players and not all have to be 5 stars. Hell he has proven he can get to within one lucky bounce away without one. Granted Carsen was under-rated, but still.

And we're not alone. Outside of a handful of schools, everyone is vying for a 5 star and only one of several hundred schools are going to land them. There are only so many to go around as it is and it's going to be fewer and fewer as the rules change I fear.

Hmmm. 5 star smart enough to get into Stanford. Wants a quality education. Can get it at either Purdue or Stanford. From Texas. Hmmmm. Winter in WLafy or Palo Alto? If I'm not a Boiler I can guess which way I'm leaning.
Anyone that doesn't think that weather can be part of a decision, is just kidding themselves. When all things are equal, you start to look for things that aren't. I am not sure why some, not you, on here just can't grasp that.

Anyone that doesn't think that weather can be part of a decision, is just kidding themselves. When all things are equal, you start to look for things that aren't. I am not sure why some, not you, on here just can't grasp that.

The weather and beach argument are two of the worst excuses recruiting apologists make.
Do you think the weather in Syracuse, Columbus, Ann Arbor, East Lansing, Madison, etc impact their recruiting?
What about at Kansas, Oklahoma, or Lexington?

And for a 5 star who has realistic possibilities of making it to the pros, are they going to decline a contract if they're drafted by Toronto, Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, or Minny?

Sounds like it's Kauffman or no one. My question is if Purdue misses on TK do they go the transfer route, or do they go into next year with 12 guys on scholarship and leave it at that?

I don’t think we will offer anyone else outside of TK. If someone transfers on our side then that changes things and we look for a transfer to replace. We will need to hit a couple front court targets in 2022 plus the usual good outside shooting guard.

I don't know what happened to Blake Wesley, at one point that was supposedly someone we were supposedly in descent shape with, but then he just seemed to evaporate.

Another thing that made it easier for me to stop paying for a membership, you keep reading about recruits we are after and in good shape with then all the sudden nothing.

This argument is getting really old. Can't one side agree that there are MANY different variables that help a kid choose one school or another, and weather/girls MIGHT be one of them? And can the other side agree that it would be nice if CMP could land more high-end talent instead of coming in 2nd time after time?

Is it possible?

The weather and beach argument are two of the worst excuses recruiting apologists make.
Do you think the weather in Syracuse, Columbus, Ann Arbor, East Lansing, Madison, etc impact their recruiting?
What about at Kansas, Oklahoma, or Lexington?

And for a 5 star who has realistic possibilities of making it to the pros, are they going to decline a contract if they're drafted by Toronto, Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, or Minny?
Got some news for you. It was down to West Lafayette and Southern California. Columbus, Ann Arbor, and Madison weren’t in the running. We evidently compete pretty well among that crowd. By the way, how many 5 stars lined up for those other locations this year?

Got some news for you. It was down to West Lafayette and Southern California. Columbus, Ann Arbor, and Madison weren’t in the running. We evidently compete pretty well among that crowd. By the way, how many 5 stars lined up for those other locations this year?
Not Southern California

Reactions: bonefish1 and BBG
Exactly this. Lenny needs to quit reading that we are saying weather is the primary or even only reason. But for some recruits, not all,it is taken in to account as I've seen it mentioned before. No one is saying it the primary reason but to ignore it as a factor in SOME cases, is just being bull headed.

This argument is getting really old. Can't one side agree that there are MANY different variables that help a kid choose one school or another, and weather/girls MIGHT be one of them? And can the other side agree that it would be nice if CMP could land more high-end talent instead of coming in 2nd time after time?

Is it possible?
It's been tried but with every recruit we don't get, it gets spun back up. Bonefish (aka Lenniel) is just very singularly focused on things like this and thinks every decision is static.

Not his fault though, we are all wondering what it takes to land 5 stars at Purdue consistently, as are many... MANY other schools.

It's been tried but with every recruit we don't get, it gets spun back up. Bonefish (aka Lenniel) is just very singularly focused on things like this and thinks every decision is static.

Not his fault though, we are all wondering what it takes to land 5 stars at Purdue consistently, as are many... MANY other schools.

If I was a 5*.... unlimited free Panda Express might do it.

Hmmm. 5 star smart enough to get into Stanford. Wants a quality education. Can get it at either Purdue or Stanford. From Texas. Hmmmm. Winter in WLafy or Palo Alto? If I'm not a Boiler I can guess which way I'm leaning.
Except for those 30 to 40 (I'm speculating) games when he's playing at home in an atmosphere similar to a corec pick up game as opposed to the best home court expirience in the country. Yes, I'm biased.

Reactions: Schnelk
Except for those 30 to 40 (I'm speculating) games when he's playing at home in an atmosphere similar to a corec pick up game as opposed to the best home court expirience in the country. Yes, I'm biased.
Good point. Academics aside, it’s a choice between one of the best college atmospheres in the company and one of the best college basketball atmospheres in the country.

Exactly this. Lenny needs to quit reading that we are saying weather is the primary or even only reason. But for some recruits, not all,it is taken in to account as I've seen it mentioned before. No one is saying it the primary reason but to ignore it as a factor in SOME cases, is just being bull headed.
'
Are earthquakes and wildfires part of the consideration?
If you asked a 5 star recruit to list his reasons for choosing 1 school over another, my guess is that weather would be pretty far down the list.

This isn't a singular focus, but when the recruiting apologists list things like weather, lack of nightlife, and other non-issues as contributing to a recruiting miss, then I have to call them out on their errors.

This isn't a singular focus, but when the recruiting apologists list things like weather, lack of nightlife, and other non-issues as contributing to a recruiting miss, then I have to call them out on their errors.
You are so out of touch with kids today it's simply amazing. At this pint the only conclusion to your now massively debunked rants is that you simply do not want to appear wrong on the internet. You're either simply just trolling now or are just overly ignorant.

How many 5 star players have you recruited again?

You are so out of touch with kids today it's simply amazing. At this pint the only conclusion to your now massively debunked rants is that you simply do not want to appear wrong on the internet. You're either simply just trolling now or are just overly ignorant.

How many 5 star players have you recruited again?

How are kids today different than when it comes to recruiting from 10,20,30 years ago? Has global warming impacted the weather in West Lafayette? Has a East Lansing been moved closer to a beach with great nighlife views of the mountains ?

How are kids today different than when it comes to recruiting from 10,20,30 years ago? Has global warming impacted the weather in West Lafayette? Has a East Lansing been moved closer to a beach with great nighlife views of the mountains ?
More proof of your level of being out of touch.

My question still remains, how many 5 star players have you recruited?

More proof of your level of being out of touch.

My question still remains, how many 5 star players have you recruited?

I've recruited 7, landed 3. You asked, I answered.

Yeh, I'm so out of touch. What's this Twitter thing again?

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue85
I've recruited 7, landed 3. You asked, I answered.

Yeh, I'm so out of touch. What's this Twitter thing again?
Oh come on now Lenny. If you did that you wouldn't be posting here and would be on a team somewhere

Did you really think anyone would believe that? This isn't the IU forum.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT