ADVERTISEMENT

Harrison Ingram to Stanford.....Who up next?

this was a pretty big miss by Painter if it did in fact come down to PU and Stanford.

Had he chosen Duke, UNC or Kentucky, you could understand the decision from a basketball standpoint. But Stanford?
And it appears that this coach Haase has now landed 2 5 stars?

There's something Painter is saying or not saying in his recruiting pitch that doesn't align with 5 star players.
Or the player is just making up their own mind to go somewhere else. There isn't anything more to it than that. And evidently it didn't work for UM or any of the other schools that went after him and he chose to go somewhere for reasons that were important to him. That's it. It isn't a bad sales pitch by Painter, it isn't Painter not putting in the time it's the player's choice.

I am not sure why it is so hard for you to grasp that. There are only so many 5 stars to go around to begin with and every single one of them has their own desires, personalities and ideas and they are not all the same. They all don't want the same thing and they all can like or dislike a college for any number of reasons from everything from weather, to classes to the distance from the dorms to McDonalds. Hell maybe someone even got in his ear and told him not to go to Purdue.

Now of course my examples are facetious but it illustrates my point . You're looking for a single point of failure when there is none. If I read right, stanford also has a very potent nucleolus and maybe he wanted to play with those players. Who knows because as I said there is no clear cut reason and Painter did all he could to try and land him outside of something illegal.

Painter didn't "whiff", the player chose to go somewhere else. It's as simple as that.

Nothing against project managers. I did plenty of that work early in my career. And I had several who reported up through my team. But if you believe that makes you something special, sorry...

True, but if you think you're some intellectual god because you're an engineer, you might want to humble yourself as well.

"We still do not know one thousandth of one percent of what nature has revealed to us." -Albert Einstein

Always good to remind ourselves how infantile our own intelligence is - yes, even the engineers - you're not as special as you think.

Reactions: bgloveless
Or the player is just making up their own mind to go somewhere else. There isn't anything more to it than that. And evidently it didn't work for UM or any of the other schools that went after him and he chose to go somewhere for reasons that were important to him. That's it. It isn't a bad sales pitch by Painter, it isn't Painter not putting in the time it's the player's choice.

I am not sure why it is so hard for you to grasp that. There are only so many 5 stars to go around to begin with and every single one of them has their own desires, personalities and ideas and they are not all the same. They all don't want the same thing and they all can like or dislike a college for any number of reasons from everything from weather, to classes to the distance from the dorms to McDonalds. Hell maybe someone even got in his ear and told him not to go to Purdue.

Now of course my examples are facetious but it illustrates my point . You're looking for a single point of failure when there is none. If I read right, stanford also has a very potent nucleolus and maybe he wanted to play with those players. Who knows because as I said there is no clear cut reason and Painter did all he could to try and land him outside of something illegal.

Painter didn't "whiff", the player chose to go somewhere else. It's as simple as that.

Well, duh. This could be the response to any time a player you're recruiting decides to go elsewhere. Of course they decided to go someplace else. Otherwise we would be having this discussion.

And actually, it's more complicated than that.
How important do you think the HC is in the recruiting process?
How much influence do you think a HC has over where a kid decides to go?
There's a reason why Painter has only landed 1 5 star recruit in his 16 years at Purdue. What that reason is, I don't know (but I do know it's not weather, location, academics, night life, etc) but during the recruiting process, there comes a point when these top talent kids don't buy Painter's pitch.

Well, duh. This could be the response to any time a player you're recruiting decides to go elsewhere. Of course they decided to go someplace else. Otherwise we would be having this discussion.

There's a reason why Painter has only landed 1 5 star recruit in his 16 years at Purdue. What that reason is, I don't know (but I do know it's not weather, location, academics, night life, etc) but during the recruiting process, there comes a point when these top talent kids don't buy Painter's pitch.
It's only more complicated to you. And he has landed a 5 star, or did you forget about Swanigan? I know, that blows your argument up and you'll just move the goal posts or change the criteria like you always done when proven wrong, but the point remains.

As far as the reasons you list, it really shows how out of touch you are with younger people because all of you things that you mentioned most certainly do impact recruiting. As has been shown to you time after time after time after time after time. You ignoring those things as part of what goes in to the decision doesn't make it any less true.

It's only more complicated to you. And he has landed a 5 star, or did you forget about Swanigan? I know, that blows your argument up and you'll just move the goal posts or change the criteria like you always done when proven wrong, but the point remains.

As far as the reasons you list, it really shows how out of touch you are with younger people because all of you things that you mentioned most certainly do impact recruiting. As has been shown to you time after time after time after time after time. You ignoring those things as part of what goes in to the decision doesn't make it any less true.

he did say 1 5-star...

Painter does a great job of winning, graduating players, and doing things the right way. I’m glad he is here and has been here for as long as he has. I do believe that if Purdue had a coach such as Calipari they may be able to land more 5 star recruits. Would you agree or disagree?

this was a pretty big miss by Painter if it did in fact come down to PU and Stanford.

Had he chosen Duke, UNC or Kentucky, you could understand the decision from a basketball standpoint. But Stanford?

There's something Painter is saying or not saying in his recruiting pitch that doesn't align with 5 star players.
What could it be?

You need to come in and work hard?

Your playing time will based on performance not only in games but, also in practice?

We are going to need you to play defense?

Reactions: northside100

Maybe Stanford has a nicer campus, or better facilities, or better assistant coaches. Who knows? Once again you are trying to hang the entire miss on something Painter said. Nice try, but a whiff... for your theory.

he did say 1 5-star...
Not directed at me, but I would argue Carson was a under rated player and would be a 5 star if done correctly. But that is also why I don't put much stock in the star rating because lately anymore it is more and more inaccurate it seems to me.

And my comment isn't directed at you really, your reply was just easier to quote to get my point out :)

Reactions: IUhaterade
True, but if you think you're some intellectual god because you're an engineer, you might want to humble yourself as well.

"We still do not know one thousandth of one percent of what nature has revealed to us." -Albert Einstein

Always good to remind ourselves how infantile our own intelligence is - yes, even the engineers - you're not as special as you think.
Never once said I was intellectually superior. I'm intellectually average. Unfortunately, Wolegib idiocy has a bad affect on me. Might want to scold him on humbleness rather than me...

Reactions: mathboy and BBG

I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. As much as I love Purdue Engineering, Ingram made it very clear academics were important to him. And he followed up on that by going to what is considered a top 2 or 3 engineering school in the nation. If he does graduate and for some reason his pro career doesn't materialize, he can write his own ticket as a Stanford Engineering grad. I respect his decision and I doubt it has anything to do with Painter not "landing" him, as Purdue was probably his second choice in a long list of schools recruiting him.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. As much as I love Purdue Engineering, Ingram made it very clear academics were important to him. And he followed up on that by going to what is considered a top 2 or 3 engineering school in the nation. If he does graduate and for some reason his pro career doesn't materialize, he can write his own ticket as a Stanford Engineering grad. I respect his decision and I doubt it has anything to do with Painter not "landing" him, as Purdue was probably his second choice in a long list of schools recruiting him.
Practicality has no place here! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU! :D

Painter does a great job of winning, graduating players, and doing things the right way. I’m glad he is here and has been here for as long as he has. I do believe that if Purdue had a coach such as Calipari they may be able to land more 5 star recruits. Would you agree or disagree?

I think you're right, Purdue would have more 5 stars. But I'd be willing to bet, we'd be in the middle of some pay to play controversy too. The recruiting world is a nasty business. There are no rules of no one is watching. Maybe that's why Painter doesn't get those 5* guys. He refuses to pay them, in which I say kudos. If you want money to go to a certain school, then it's not going to be Purdue. I like the fact that we're one of the few remaining clean basketball programs left, and probably the only one consistently in the top 25 that don't pay kids.

Bold statement? Sure is.
Completely a guess? No, but there's no proof.

Reactions: bgloveless
I think you're right, Purdue would have more 5 stars. But I'd be willing to bet, we'd be in the middle of some pay to play controversy too. The recruiting world is a nasty business. There are no rules of no one is watching. Maybe that's why Painter doesn't get those 5* guys. He refuses to pay them, in which I say kudos. If you want money to go to a certain school, then it's not going to be Purdue. I like the fact that we're one of the few remaining clean basketball programs left, and probably the only one consistently in the top 25 that don't pay kids.

Bold statement? Sure is.
Completely a guess? No, but there's no proof.
You are probably spot on. The recruiting business is a most difficult one in times today. Even high schools are recruiting so trying to get these athletes today to commit has got to be one dirty job in man cases.

Or it is the appeal of Southern California and who knows what other intangibles to get 2 five star players in two years.

You are probably spot on. The recruiting business is a most difficult one in times today. Even high schools are recruiting so trying to get these athletes today to commit has got to be one dirty job in man cases.
Are you suggesting Mike Rowe should do a Dirty Jobs episode in B-ball! He could spend weeks in North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona.

Or it is the appeal of Southern California and who knows what other intangibles to get 2 five star players in two years.
Stanford’s campus is beautiful. I’m sure that most coaches know how to make a good impression on kids, so maybe in their minds the coach “attractiveness” is about even. Then they see that beautiful campus, and the high academic credibility of Stanford... we finish second.

yes they do. Most brainwashed sheep in this world hear that someone attended ‘Stanford’ and think differently of a person. Degree or not.
I’d give even odds that he gets a Stanford degree even if he leaves for the NBA in one to two years. I agree that after a certain number of years of work experience where you got your undergrad degree doesn’t mean much. Early in a career a degree from Stanford does and should matter. Purdue is an excellent school and maybe 10% of Purdue students would get accepted to Stanford.

Reactions: Level 42
I whole heartedly agree with both you and dwhite on yoru comments. I have little doubt anymore that recruiting has gotten dirty compared to what it used to be. And since Painter has integrity, he will never get those recruits that are part of that scenario.

Now that is not to say all recruits are like that, but I think it happens more often than we know. Or promises are made just to get the kid to commit, again which Painter won't do nor do I want him to. Winning is not that important and we win enough as it is.

For a five star kid from Texas I’d guess that what Matt Painter said wrong is “Hi, I’m the head coach at Purdue.”

Need to focus on landing kids like Kaufman who are just as talented, in state and realize that Purdue is their best basketball fit. If MP can do that he’ll win enough games for out of state 5 stars to become a much more realistic possibility.

Reading comprehension much? it's a skill ya know. Did you read my post where I said that Painter has only landed 1 5 star. (1/one means single, as in more than zero but less than two) in his 16 years at Purdue?
And while I loved Biggie, he was gift wrapped for Painter.

And you and your silly excuses....."Oh, Purdue is hard to recruit to because we don't have a beach, weather sucks in the winter and there's no Miami-like clubs for the players to hang out in"

What could it be?

You need to come in and work hard?

Your playing time will based on performance not only in games but, also in practice?

We are going to need you to play defense?

I have no idea. Maybe he's just not a closer?

But, since you asked, do you think Coach K, Izzo, Calipari or other top recruiters say:
"You won't need to work hard, you'll play regardless of performance or effort in practice and we're not that concerned about your defense."

No Izzo team has ever been accused of being soft on defense yet he lands 5 stars.

Reactions: JIMSHAM

Being the runner up in a recruiting battle doesn't really help get you to a Final Four.

I agree a Stanford degree is something to be proud of, as is a Purdue degree. But I don't think the basketball programs are all that similar. (plus, you gotta be around all those lefties and libs in CA).

Palo Alto is more Northern CA than Southern CA.

But you bring up a good point: What has this new Stanford coach been able to sell to land 2 5 star recruits in 2 years and Painter has landed 1 in 16?

I know some of the apologists on the board will say "he's cheating/paying players" but I highly doubt that's the case.

For a five star kid from Texas I’d guess that what Matt Painter said wrong is “Hi, I’m the head coach at Purdue.”

Need to focus on landing kids like Kaufman who are just as talented, in state and realize that Purdue is their best basketball fit. If MP can do that he’ll win enough games for out of state 5 stars to become a much more realistic possibility.

Disagree. He just had a kid from TX who absolutely lit the world on fire during the tourney and is not playing for the Celtics. That's the best possible recruiting pitch anyone could ask for.

I have no idea. Maybe he's just not a closer?

But, since you asked, do you think Coach K, Izzo, Calipari or other top recruiters say:
"You won't need to work hard, you'll play regardless of performance or effort in practice and we're not that concerned about your defense."

No Izzo team has ever been accused of being soft on defense yet he lands 5 stars.

I mean, I get your point, but I think there have been a couple Izzo teams that were a little soft...

Disagree. He just had a kid from TX who absolutely lit the world on fire during the tourney and is not playing for the Celtics. That's the best possible recruiting pitch anyone could ask for.
You mean “ is NOW playing for the Celtics” right? I don’t get your perspective.

You dismissed all of the reasons put forth For Ingram going to Stanford by others without any logic or reasons for your dismissal. I guess those ideas just don’t fit your view of the universe. That means your perspective is relatively an outlier and unsustainable in any sort of logical discussion. Too bad your Purdue degree left you so unprepared for this world. It’s embarrassing.

It isn't a single recruit that proves Painter doesn't have the ability to bring 5* players to Purdue. It's the collective 5* recruitments outcomes in his 16 years as Purdue's head coach. It's no issue for the schools in our geographic area to bring in 5* consistently.

Reactions: bonefish1
It isn't a single recruit that proves Painter doesn't have the ability to bring 5* players to Purdue. It's the collective 5* recruitments outcomes in his 16 years as Purdue's head coach. It's no issue for the schools in our geographic area to bring in 5* consistently.

I'm not worried about losing 5 star recruits. I'm more concerned with the overall talent on the team and his ability to land solid 4 star recruits that want to play for Purdue. If Painter can get back to filling up the team with recruits like the Baby Boilers, which were all 4 stars, he can compete for national championships. He just needs to stop having up and down recruiting years like he had been doing for the past 10 years. And he needs to land the top recruits in Indiana, like Kaufman.

I'm not worried about losing 5 star recruits. I'm more concerned with the overall talent on the team and his ability to land solid 4 star recruits that want to play for Purdue. If Painter can get back to filling up the team with recruits like the Baby Boilers, which were all 4 stars, he can compete for national championships. He just needs to stop having up and down recruiting years like he had been doing for the past 10 years. And he needs to land the top recruits in Indiana, like Kaufman.
I would agree with that, but we also need McDonald's AA to win a national championship. It's no coincidence that 40 out of the last 42 national champions have had a McDonald's AA. It doesn't sound great on the Kaufman front. I do think Ivey, Morton, and Furst are an upgrade in talent.

I would agree with that, but we also need McDonald's AA to win a national championship. It's no coincidence that 40 out of the last 42 national champions have had a McDonald's AA. It doesn't sound great on the Kaufman front. I do think Ivey, Morton, and Furst are an upgrade in talent.
We had no McDonald's AAs 2 years ago and were within a fluke rebound from beating the eventual national champion, going to the Final Four, and possibly national championship game. Kyle Guy (McDonald's AA) played well during the game, but Carsen was better. Just my opinion...

We had no McDonald's AAs 2 years ago and were within a fluke rebound from beating the eventual national champion, going to the Final Four, and possibly national championship game. Kyle Guy (McDonald's AA) played well during the game, but Carsen was better. Just my opinion...
The team with the McDonald's AA ended up winning the national championship...

And to be fair, we were within an eyelash of losing in the Sweet Sixteen as well.

Reactions: bonefish1
So the “best possible” recruiting pitch is that a player from your state (2nd most populated state in the country) who you in no way resemble had a great run with us and now sits on the bench in the NBA. Ok

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT