ADVERTISEMENT

Haarms

ImRonBurgandy?

All-American
Aug 14, 2008
Got to be honest, thought he would have progressed more. It's early, but seems like the same player as last year. Couple good games vs inferior opponents, but mostly a lot of fist pumping, missing bunnies, swatting flies, and passes & rebounds fumble off the fingers. I love the guy's attitude, but just thought he'd make a jump this year.

Kind of reminds me of the progression of Haas and Hammons. Both were clumsy and turned the ball over way too much their first couple years. The big difference is both of them were much bigger and weren't as raw offensively when they got here. It will be hard to do but patience is needed. Some of us fans get ahead of our selves in thinking how fast a player should get better.

Got to be honest, thought he would have progressed more. It's early, but seems like the same player as last year. Couple good games vs inferior opponents, but mostly a lot of fist pumping, missing bunnies, swatting flies, and passes & rebounds fumble off the fingers. I love the guy's attitude, but just thought he'd make a jump this year.

It's early. 6 games in Haarms is averaging roughly 8ppg, 5rpg, 2bpg, 60% FG in 17 min. Not bad IMO. I agree he hasn't dominated and the VT game was disappointing, but players like Haarms, Eastern, Wheeler, Hunter, Williams, and Sasha improving over the course of the season is what makes this team potentially dangerous in March. There will be some growing pains in Nov/Dec.

I agree with this. IMO he's not being fully utilized. I'm sure Painter has a plan, but we simply don't throw the ball into the post like we have been. I will say that Haarms FT's look much better.
I agree. Seems like his primary function is setting ball screens around the 3 pt line so someone can jack up a 3. No entry passes to the post even in the rare instances when he is posted up. We are an outside in team this year as opposed to almost always starting our offense with a pass inside to start the O last year.
The other guy we miss in Vince in that he initiated a lot of plays from both in the post and on the perimeter and took his man off the dribble to the hoop many times. I am so far disappointed that Wheeler does not seem to be able to do any of this other than spot up 3's. Seems with his athleticism he could have his way inside if he had any moves and could dribble.

I would say he looks at least a little more consistent. If we compare him to Haas or Hammons, well both of them had better freshman season, so we shouldn't expect him to be better than them.

We are very perimeter oriented at this point. Haarms rarely gets a touch in the post from a perimeter pass. He needs to touch the ball more, even if he doesn't shoot. Hard to get into the flow of the game when all you do is set screens at the 3 point line. I am still living for the day when Nojel takes it all the way to the rim and posterizes somebody. He can do it. Sasha to me has been a pleasant surprise shooting from the perimeter, this early in his first season of play. We are a work in progress. We will not come through the next 5 games unscathed, but I have some mild optimism for the season as a whole.

Reactions: purduepat1969
IDK he is playing better this year than last Per 40

11.2/7.4/1.5 59%TS

19/11/3 62%TS

the big problem is that he is still only playing 17 minutes a game
He and Boudreaux can’t be splitting time. Two of the most talented players can’t be on the bench that long. They need to learn to coexist on the court. One for offense and rebounding and the other for defense.

It’s looking more and more like it won’t be long before Tre becomes the better option.

We are very perimeter oriented at this point. Haarms rarely gets a touch in the post from a perimeter pass. He needs to touch the ball more, even if he doesn't shoot. Hard to get into the flow of the game when all you do is set screens at the 3 point line. I am still living for the day when Nojel takes it all the way to the rim and posterizes somebody. He can do it. Sasha to me has been a pleasant surprise shooting from the perimeter, this early in his first season of play. We are a work in progress. We will not come through the next 5 games unscathed, but I have some mild optimism for the season as a whole.

You nailed it. Completely agree.

Reactions: rjmpu82
Boudreaux will have a hard time guarding most stretch 4s.
Why? He doesn't seem slow, he is tall enough. He is no slower that Eifort gaurding that position. His opponents would have just as much trouble keeping up with his offense I would think. He has the 2nd highest points per minute, high usage rate, and has an efficient stat line. Needs to see more that 18 minutes per game.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Why? He doesn't seem slow, he is tall enough. He is no slower that Eifort gaurding that position. His opponents would have just as much trouble keeping up with his offense I would think. He has the 2nd highest points per minute, high usage rate, and has an efficient stat line. Needs to see more that 18 minutes per game.
Grady has better lateral quickness.

Perhaps. I dont know. But he isnt the overall better player, at least not according to statistics.

He’s not slow per se but he’s not quick footed on D. Eifert has significantly better lateral quickness and more experience playing team defense in Matt’s system.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
I'm watching FSU right now and they have a 7'4" behemoth for a center. Haarms is going to have to stay out of foul trouble.

Hopefully Tre can become a better option so Boudreaux can spend more time at the 4 where he belongs.
I keep saying it but Tre needs to study Wesson fr Ohio State. That’s the type of player he should be able to develop in to.

Reactions: Roeder
Boudreaux will have a hard time guarding most stretch 4s.
This is what no one seems to get. He will also struggle to score more against an athletic, quicker 4 vs. a taller but slower 5.

People think because he's 6-8 he should naturally play the 4.......even if his game isn't suited for it against most 4s in the B1G.

This is what no one seems to get. He will also struggle to score more against an athletic, quicker 4 vs. a taller but slower 5.

People think because he's 6-8 he should naturally play the 4.......even if his game isn't suited for it against most 4s in the B1G.
Yeah, the argument is how do we add a 4 for next season, not “let’s take a 5 and try to make him a 4.”

I love Grady, but no question he’s a big drop off from guys like Hummel and Vince. And Wheeler obviously is nowhere near as skilled as those guys.

He’s not slow per se but he’s not quick footed on D. Eifert has significantly better lateral quickness and more experience playing team defense in Matt’s system.

Hate to make my first post an argumentative one, but there is exactly 0 evidence that Eifert has better lateral quickness. Ebo needs to play the 4 and until we have evidence against the contrary I think he would be an incredibly impactful 4 in the B10.

Reactions: boilerUP500
Hate to make my first post an argumentative one, but there is exactly 0 evidence that Eifert has better lateral quickness. Ebo needs to play the 4 and until we have evidence against the contrary I think he would be an incredibly impactful 4 in the B10.
Come on. EBo has had 5s blow past him. Watch their feet next time they are on defense. Why else do you think CMP doesn’t play him there?

Come on. EBo has had 5s blow past him. Watch their feet next time they are on defense. Why else do you think CMP doesn’t play him there?

I have no dog in this fight other than wanting our best 5 out there. I've found Ebo's defense to be incredibly competent. He switched out on Vtechs guards multiple times and forced bad shots/passes. If he can keep up with them, he can match any 4 we will play.

Feel free to link one of these plays where a 5 "blows past him". Ebo might not be considered a quick/fast/athletic guy, but he is easily at Eiferts defensive level if not better.

*Edit*- Forgot to answer your question. CMP doesnt play EBO at the 4 because he cant afford to. Tre is simply not ready for game minutes and Haarms seems to either be in foul trouble or out of sorts so far this year. My hope is that Haarms/Tre end up improving enough to push Ebo down to the 4.

Last edited:
I have no dog in this fight other than wanting our best 5 out there. I've found Ebo's defense to be incredibly competent. He switched out on Vtechs guards multiple times and forced bad shots/passes. If he can keep up with them, he can match any 4 we will play.

Feel free to link one of these plays where a 5 "blows past him". Ebo might not be considered a quick/fast/athletic guy, but he is easily at Eiferts defensive level if not better.
If you think EBo can guard someone like Vince or Hummel... well you, and CMP and I will have to agree to disagree.

Do you have proof against the contrary? I agree, that I dont think its likely he could guard a Vince or a Hummel, but the fact is we simply dont know. See my edit above as to why i dont think CMP plays him.

But at the end of the day you are sidestepping the argument here. The question isnt overall defensive acumen (which i believe is about average). The question is whether or not he is the best player on the team suited to start at the 4. I think the answer is unequivocally yes if we can sort out a backup 5.

Do you have proof against the contrary? I agree, that I dont think its likely he could guard a Vince or a Hummel, but the fact is we simply dont know. See my edit above as to why i dont think CMP plays him.

But at the end of the day you are sidestepping the argument here. The question isnt overall defensive acumen (which i believe is about average). The question is whether or not he is the best player on the team suited to start at the 4. I think the answer is unequivocally yes if we can sort out a backup 5.
Yes, I have watched all the games, including one in person, and he is flat out not as laterally quick as Grady. If you don’t see this, then I don’t know what to tell you. IU, MSU, UM, etc all have 4s that would turnstile him.

I think MH may be better coming off the bench. I like the way we play with EB on the floor at the 5. It gives us another scoring threat from the arc. I think this teams best chance of making a run this year is shooting the 3.

Reactions: Roeder
Yes, I have watched all the games, including one in person, and he is flat out not as laterally quick as Grady. If you don’t see this, then I don’t know what to tell you. IU, MSU, UM, etc all have 4s that would turnstile him.
It seems as though some comparing both players why both are both very affective at what this team needs. Does it matter we’re each play defense at whatever position as long as both hold there own whether playing at the 4 or 5 position. Remember the big 10 teams had to guard Evan who can score in a variety of ways of the dribble or shooting it he’s been very affective doing what he does best he gives his all in the court both do let’s give both of these guys credit they both helping Purdue win games that is all u can ask for. Remember nojel can back either up if needed he’s same size as both but wheeler just need to get some more time he then will be better playing the 4 as well. I just feel who cares who what position so far it’s working both have been very productive offensively and defensively bcuz both give there all every single play there on the court.

It seems as though some comparing both players why both are both very affective at what this team needs. Does it matter we’re each play defense at whatever position as long as both hold there own whether playing at the 4 or 5 position. Remember the big 10 teams had to guard Evan who can score in a variety of ways of the dribble or shooting it he’s been very affective doing what he does best he gives his all in the court both do let’s give both of these guys credit they both helping Purdue win games that is all u can ask for. Remember nojel can back either up if needed he’s same size as both but wheeler just need to get some more time he then will be better playing the 4 as well. I just feel who cares who what position so far it’s working both have been very productive offensively and defensively bcuz both give there all every single play there on the court.
Don’t get me wrong- I love EBo, but just feel that he is more effective at the 5 for us, defensively. And CMP seems to think the same.

Wait i didn't know attendance made you an expert. my god- we must have the next CMP here on the boards! If that qualifies you, having attended all of the games myself must make me the next coach K.

In all seriousness, you simply have no way to back up what you're saying. I'd love more data points, I just think the verdict is still out. Like I said, CMP cant play Ebo at the 4 right now because it's too risky for minutes at the 5. I think CMP would play EBo at the 4 all day everyday if Dow or Tre were ready.

Wait i didn't know attendance made you an expert. my god- we must have the next CMP here on the boards! If that qualifies you, having attended all of the games myself must make me the next coach K.

In all seriousness, you simply have no way to back up what you're saying. I'd love more data points, I just think the verdict is still out. Like I said, CMP cant play Ebo at the 4 right now because it's too risky for minutes at the 5. I think CMP would play EBo at the 4 all day everyday if Dow or Tre were ready.
LOL - there are no “data points” for lateral quickness... again if you can’t see a difference then we are watching different games.

Just because he had a whole offseason, he still didn't play any games. He was a role player last year and this is the first few games of him being "the" guy at the 5.

I think people really forget that we lost 4 starters from last year's team. We are TERRIBLY inexperienced. And for the players that did have minutes last year, they are being asked to do something completely different this year. Every player on this team is playing a new role this year - even Carsen. Carsen had 4 other starters that all scored double digits any given night and two guys that could get 15-20 any given night.

Villanova lost 4 starters and they lost to Furman and got blown out against Michigan. We're going to hit some bumps along the way. I'm surprised we've actually done as well as we have, although we have a difficult slate coming up.

Reactions: buffboiler
You may be right, but MP has stated publicly that EB is better guarding the 5 than the 4. Sorry, I’m not going to look up a link for you.

As an aside, without intending to offend, I like your enthusiasm but personally find the posting style you’re using, I.e. refusing to accept personal observations, demanding that others provide you with data points and the use of condesention and sarcasm, to be quite grating.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT