ADVERTISEMENT

Painter's comment:

Do Dah Day

All-American
Nov 8, 2015
In the past, there have been comments regarding coaching vs - players doint what they are coached to do. I really like Painter's comments after the MD game:

It's the passing and catching. I know that's elementary and it's fundamental, but it's what it comes down to. We had to make better passes out of the post. We drove the ball a couple of times into crowded areas, you always have to attack into space so you have room to play.

We've been really good at the first five minutes of the second half this season, across the board. We haven't been perfect, but we've been pretty good and pretty consistent there. But we just weren't. You start the second half, you miss a layup. You take an out-of-rhythm three, you miss another layup, you turn the basketball over, and now they're scoring, that's how runs go against you.

You want that flipped. You want to make that layup, take a rhythm three, don't turn the ball over, and now they stay out of transition that way because you're making better decisions. And even if you're missing shots, if you're missing quality shots, you're still normally going to set your defense.

So it was just a combination of that. Tough shots or missed shots, turnovers, and now them running out. And then they started making some shots. Obviously, they're a quality team Jahmir Young started to keep going. Julian Reese was good the whole game. I thought he was fabulous. He gave them that staple that when things got tough, give him the basketball. He can get them a bucket.

In the past, there have been comments regarding coaching vs - players doint what they are coached to do. I really like Painter's comments after the MD game:

It's the passing and catching. I know that's elementary and it's fundamental, but it's what it comes down to. We had to make better passes out of the post. We drove the ball a couple of times into crowded areas, you always have to attack into space so you have room to play.

We've been really good at the first five minutes of the second half this season, across the board. We haven't been perfect, but we've been pretty good and pretty consistent there. But we just weren't. You start the second half, you miss a layup. You take an out-of-rhythm three, you miss another layup, you turn the basketball over, and now they're scoring, that's how runs go against you.

You want that flipped. You want to make that layup, take a rhythm three, don't turn the ball over, and now they stay out of transition that way because you're making better decisions. And even if you're missing shots, if you're missing quality shots, you're still normally going to set your defense.

So it was just a combination of that. Tough shots or missed shots, turnovers, and now them running out. And then they started making some shots. Obviously, they're a quality team Jahmir Young started to keep going. Julian Reese was good the whole game. I thought he was fabulous. He gave them that staple that when things got tough, give him the basketball. He can get them a bucket.
There were a few out of rhythm 3 pt shots in earlier games and so it looks like Matt has given them some time and now stressing not shooting those a bit more. BTW, learned Braden has been not feeling well the last two games...and hasn't been Braden good. ;)

There were a few out of rhythm 3 pt shots in earlier games and so it looks like Matt has given them some time and now stressing not shooting those a bit more. BTW, learned Braden has been not feeling well the last two games...and hasn't been Braden good. ;)
He was pretty damn good at Minnesota playing sick. That is amazing.

Reactions: drewjin and Schnelk
Yep you can tell by his body language and facial expression, kudos to him for hanging tough....hope he rests up , we need him.

Yep you can tell by his body language and facial expression, kudos to him for hanging tough....hope he rests up , we need him.
Yeah, Matt made reference that the players have to take care of their body which I took as an indirect comment on rest, virus contamination, sleep everything a person can do to try to keep from getting sick...which we know is hard to do...

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Painter has spoiled us now … we’re going to demand point guards like Braden from here on out…
I think what we are seeing is Matt gradually getting more skill and athletic players than ever and PG is just one of those that he is improving. I do not know or consider it my place to ask, but I'm leaning to Terry Johnson bringing Braden to Matt's eye. Matt, from everything I can see and hear tries to keep in touch with a lot of coaches in the state and another coach might have alerted both?

FWIW, I personally know of a coach that he put his name out that were looking for coaches at the time. Also, Cliff (Tipton coach) said Matt texted him later that night about the inability to get together for a bit after the game...and we know Jim Rayl was helping with scouting before he passed.

See Matt has time for these coaches and that keeps a lot of doors open because they see Matt not only as a good coach, but an honest coach that is as down to earth as possible to talk with...a lot of substance with Matt...even recognized by those that transferred out. Purdue could do soooooooooooooooooooooo much worse than Matt.

The more interesting comment to me was how Matt, at the very end of the presser went off on the officiating in the post. My exact thought after the first half is these officials are the first group to call fouls on Edey fairly . Second half, uh no. Something changed. Matt referenced just that point. He seemed fed up in general about the non calls of fouls on Edey. He said there were 7 fouls on Edey for everyone called. He said Edey was like a pinata.

What happened at halftime to change how the game was called? Did the coach get in the refs ear? I remember watching Thad Matta coming out early after half and holding court with the refs.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Izzo and another ????? coach made comments that Zach has played and as rough as he is never gets called for a foul. I mean what better D can be played on Zach than having him in foul trouble...and this guy has played a LOT of games and never been in fouled out and maybe never ever had four fouls????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT