ADVERTISEMENT

Great Job Nick Holt, Completely Different Defense Today

A totally defense today. We will be okay going forward if our defense can keep this up. Great job to our defense so far...

Holt is a great coach. After the 0-3 start, I wasn't worried about Holt being poached for a head coaching job or a higher paying D Coordinator job. If the D keeps this up though, I'm thinking his name will start to pop up on some mid major coaching lists, or a power school with a broken defense will start sniffing around. These young guys are getting so much better.

absolutely right.

It's interesting the negative posters that come out after a loss (or 2, or 3), but disappear when progress is made.

Which, is what most of us expect this season: progress.

Most of us understand there's a substantial rebuilding process going on. There will be highs, there will be lows. But, those who keep the faith and continue to support coach Brohm & co. will be richly rewarded.

absolutely right.

It's interesting the negative posters that come out after a loss (or 2, or 3), but disappear when progress is made.

Which, is what most of us expect this season: progress.

Most of us understand there's a substantial rebuilding process going on. There will be highs, there will be lows. But, those who keep the faith and continue to support coach Brohm & co. will be richly rewarded.

Exactly. It’s very quiet here this afternoon considering Purdue’s performance.

Reactions: Purdue85
Barnes to Leo on 3rd down
Mackey CB
More run blitzes dialed up
Barnes may have shored up the most glaring issue for the defense in getting better pressure from the LEO position. He may end up growing in to a DE which would free up Alexander to see the field next year at LEO which he would be very good at. Would allow the best 11 to be on the field at the same time.

Holt is a great coach. After the 0-3 start, I wasn't worried about Holt being poached for a head coaching job or a higher paying D Coordinator job. If the D keeps this up though, I'm thinking his name will start to pop up on some mid major coaching lists, or a power school with a broken defense will start sniffing around. These young guys are getting so much better.
I’m worried also about Coach Holt being poached. The job he did adjusting at halftime of the NW game and the MO game was incredible. Now we seen an amazing performance today by the defense and all I can say is his work could almost be considered more amazing than the entire body of work CJB has done since his arrival to WL from day one. He certainly deserves the bump up in pay he was awarded from the assts pay pool. We love you Coach Holt. Please stick around for the long haul. Boiler Up!

Reactions: 72Boiler and Roeder
I’m worried also about Coach Holt being poached. The job he did adjusting at halftime of the NW game and the MO game was incredible. Now we seen an amazing performance today by the defense and all I can say is his work could almost be considered more amazing than the entire body of work CJB has done since his arrival to WL from day one. He certainly deserves the bump up in pay he was awarded from the assts pay pool. We love you Coach Holt. Please stick around for the long haul. Boiler Up!

I love the job Nick Holt is doing. Nothing in this post should be considered as disparaging toward Coach Holt.

With that said, Nick Holt is not a young, "no name" coach with a razor thin resume. In fact, it's quite the opposite:

1986 St. Mary's (CA) HS (DC)
1987 UNLV (GA)
1988–1989 UNLV (DL)
1990–1993 Idaho (DL)
1994 Idaho (DC/DL)
1995–1997 Idaho (DC/LB)
1998–2000 Louisville (DL)
2001–2003 USC (LB)
2004–2005 Idaho
2006–2008 USC (DC/DL)
2009–2011 Washington (AHC/DC)
2012 Arkansas (RC)
2013 Western Kentucky (DC)
2014–2016 Western Kentucky (AHC/DC)
2016 Western Kentucky (Interim HC)
2017–present Purdue (co-DC/LB)

I don't know why, but the fact remains, he is here at age 55 (soon to be 56).

Reactions: Roeder
I love the job Nick Holt is doing. Nothing in this post should be considered as disparaging toward Coach Holt.

With that said, Nick Holt is not a young, "no name" coach with a razor thin resume. In fact, it's quite the opposite:

1986 St. Mary's (CA) HS (DC)
1987 UNLV (GA)
1988–1989 UNLV (DL)
1990–1993 Idaho (DL)
1994 Idaho (DC/DL)
1995–1997 Idaho (DC/LB)
1998–2000 Louisville (DL)
2001–2003 USC (LB)
2004–2005 Idaho
2006–2008 USC (DC/DL)
2009–2011 Washington (AHC/DC)
2012 Arkansas (RC)
2013 Western Kentucky (DC)
2014–2016 Western Kentucky (AHC/DC)
2016 Western Kentucky (Interim HC)
2017–present Purdue (co-DC/LB)

I don't know why, but the fact remains, he is here at age 55 (soon to be 56).
He's doing exactly what he's best at doing. I think he and the Brohms' have a solid working relationship.

The defensive pressure defined that game yesterday. We played so much more aggressive than last week. Guys were flying to the ball all day long. Defensive line got their hands up. Clearly we saw something on the tape about their quarterback. He was awful yesterday.

The defensive pressure defined that game yesterday. We played so much more aggressive than last week. Guys were flying to the ball all day long. Defensive line got their hands up. Clearly we saw something on the tape about their quarterback. He was awful yesterday.

Absolutely agree. The quickest and easiest way to improve a pass rush is to get those hands up and reduce the window the QB has to pass into. Yet doing it like we did yesterday almost seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I don't mean just for us, but it seems to be a grossly underused concept. When properly executed, you get ... yesterday. Their QB went from 5 TD passes last week to 4 picks this week. And two of those were a direct result of a tipped ball. He did look awful. I told my wife and son that he was the worst looking QB I have seen in a long time. Trouble completing passes (not that his receivers were helping him very much, granted), trouble avoiding the rush, you name it. He was so much less than pre-game talk indicated we were going to see. You have to believe (well, you don't HAVE to but you can if you choose) credit the defense for a lot of that. It was obviously not quite what he was expecting either.

With just some of this defense (say, every second or third series) in the first three games, we are setting easily at 4-0 and feeling like man, this is easy!

On a mildly different topic, how quickly has Mr Moore become the face of this team? ESPN is promoting next week's game as "Rondale Moore and the Purdue ..."; well, you know the rest of it. You would think Milton and/or Wandale would want to be "that guy" next year.

Don't know what happened there. Let's try again:

Absolutely agree. The quickest and easiest way to improve a pass rush is to get those hands UP. Reduce the window that QB is trying to pass into. Yet it does not seem to be widely or consistently utilized, not just here but everywhere. But when properly executed, you get ... yesterday. Their QB went from 5 TD passes last week to 4 picks this week. And two of those picks were the direct result of a ball tipped at the line, if I recall correctly.

I told my wife and son that the BC QB was the worst looking QB we have seen in quite some time. He could not move away from pressure, find open receivers, complete passes to said receivers, you name it. Now to be fair he did not get any help from those receivers, either. From the pre-game write ups he was not at all what I was expecting. But you have to (you don't HAVE to but you could if you choose to) credit the defense with a lot of that. It appears that our defense was not what he was expecting either. So the surprise was mutual.

On a related side note, how quickly has Mr Moore become the face of the team? ESPN is promoting next weekend's game as "Rondale Moore and the Purdue ...", well, you know the rest. And if not, shame on you. You would think that Wandale and/or Milton would be thinking, "man, I could be that guy" next year. Because, indeed they could.

I'm not too worried, seems like most schools want an offensive minded coach to lead their team. Narduzzi at Pitt isn't exactly tearing it up.

Don't know what happened there. Let's try again:

Absolutely agree. The quickest and easiest way to improve a pass rush is to get those hands UP. Reduce the window that QB is trying to pass into. Yet it does not seem to be widely or consistently utilized, not just here but everywhere. But when properly executed, you get ... yesterday. Their QB went from 5 TD passes last week to 4 picks this week. And two of those picks were the direct result of a ball tipped at the line, if I recall correctly.

I told my wife and son that the BC QB was the worst looking QB we have seen in quite some time. He could not move away from pressure, find open receivers, complete passes to said receivers, you name it. Now to be fair he did not get any help from those receivers, either. From the pre-game write ups he was not at all what I was expecting. But you have to (you don't HAVE to but you could if you choose to) credit the defense with a lot of that. It appears that our defense was not what he was expecting either. So the surprise was mutual.

On a related side note, how quickly has Mr Moore become the face of the team? ESPN is promoting next weekend's game as "Rondale Moore and the Purdue ...", well, you know the rest. And if not, shame on you. You would think that Wandale and/or Milton would be thinking, "man, I could be that guy" next year. Because, indeed they could.

It's amazing what happens to a QB when you make him uncomfortable. See Lock last year versus this year. See David Blough last year when he got pressured.

Our key to the season will be pressuring the QB and forcing teams to pass, because teams like Iowa, Wisky, Neb, Minny don't like to do it. A couple of great opportunities to refine and gel our defense awaits the next three weeks!

Reactions: Boilermaker1964
Season is long from over. That is a good thing. I look at the remaining schedule and believe can hang with any of them except (tO$U & Wiscy). I only say Wiscy IF they establish the running game like they are capable of, they are hard to beat. All in all, it can still be a 6-6 season with a bowl. As coach CJB said, "Focus one game at a time now".

Last edited:
Reactions: 72Boiler
Seems the biggest single move was sliding Barnes to Leo on passing downs. Any chance this becomes the new norm, or was this something we did to exploit BC? As a simpleton I think he could get more time there against passing teams. But for this to become the norm, we'd need another linebacker to step up. Is Alexander ready for a full time role?

Last edited:
Seems the biggest single move was sliding Barnes to Leo on passing downs. Any chance this becomes the new norm, or was this something we did to exploit BC? As a simpleton I think he could get more time there against passing teams. But for this to become the norm, we'd need another linebacker to step up. Is Alexander ready for a full time role?
That's exactly what I was thinking. The move of Barnes to Leo was brilliant. Concerning Alexander, does anyone know if Jaylan has played in all four games, or not? Specifically, I'm wondering if they want to redshirt him, or not.

The roster lists him as playing 2 games so far. I had been wondering the same thing about him as I hadn't seen him yet. Special teams only in those 2 games?

Actually I was just looking at the roster and saw we have 34 true freshmen?!? Isn't that a ton? I get that some are walk-ons but that seems extreme.

Actually I was just looking at the roster and saw we have 34 true freshmen?!? Isn't that a ton? I get that some are walk-ons but that seems extreme.
Yes, it is. Also, I just counted the number of redshirt Freshmen on the roster. I counted 22. That sounds pretty impressive, as well. Especially when you consider that that list has some familier names, like Mackey, Major, Horvath, Reviere, and McWilliams. I think that tells you something about this team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT